We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I'm not sure what you think is going on here, but what really IS going on, is this: we're goofing off. Having fun. Making jokes. Enjoying each other's company. It's kinda fun. Take of the tin hat, join in, and you might see.

Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    I think in some cultures, you can take the brother to a public place, and say to him three times in front of witnesses, "I disown you, I disown you, I disown you," and it's done. He's now a homeless sibling and must go looking for another brother who will have him somewhere else.

p.s. You can try the same with a sister, but in my experience she just slaps you silly before you get to the second 'disown,' it never turns out good. I don't recommend this.
    lol! Well, you know what they say about a woman scorned! Feisty R us!
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

The single thing you need to know about LOTRO, WB and the future of this game, is that there was no advertising of this game when the Hobbit movies were released. Think about that; Warner Bros, the producers of the Hobbit movies and owners of LOTRO, did absolutely no cross promotion whatsoever. Its THEIR game, the Hobbit movies are HUGE, and they couldnt be be bothered to take this golden opportunity to raise awareness of their LOTR MMO.

Sure, as has been said, there will be more information, more interviews and such when the next update comes up; but thats nothing compared to what the parent company could have done, could do, if they cared enough. Thats not a burn on Turbine and their long-suffering employees at all; its more the parent just doesnt really want to be involved much or invest. Staff cuts, dwindling resources, over the top store (still waiting for the WIN store item, level 95 full traits gold equipment for only 25k TP!)... yeah well. There it is.

I love this game and I love Turbine.. but mommy and daddy dont really care any more.

Quote Originally Posted by PluckFSH View Post
    I love this game and I love Turbine.. but mommy and daddy dont really care any more.
    You are naïve if you think that during the production and marketing of a multimillion dollar film franchise, directed by Peter Jackson, is going to spend any amount of time leveraging itself to 'revive' a F2P, rather small MMO. No insult to LotRO, which I love, but they aren't in the same ballpark. We can sit here in the peanut gallery and think how genius it would be, but the likelihood of it never crossing their mind with the intense level of focus needed to produce these movies is high.

Now I'm a little surprised there wasn't some cross promotion with blu ray sales, but again...I think the markets and products are in completely different places. It's almost like they are two different universes of the same material. Additionally, cross promotion generally is used to benefit both products. In this case, LotRO isn't going to do anything for ticket sales of the movies. We're going to go see that stuff anyways.

The moral of the story is simply to say that you don't understand the inner workings of both products' production and there is no deduction to be made from what you have typed. WB not cross promoting with the movies has nothing to do with the success or their concern for LotRO. They would probably prefer to make big title console games from the movies vs. promoting LotRO. And to be fair, with the poor sales of WitN and GoME they aren't feeling very positive about the IP's video game power.

Be glad that they leave LotRO to Turbine so that they can take care of it for us. The last thing you want is WB caring intently about LotRO. Just my 2 pence.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Be glad that they leave LotRO to Turbine so that they can take care of it for us. The last thing you want is WB caring intently about LotRO. Just my 2 pence.
    You're making an assumption that they do. My belief is they don't. The direction of the game shifted in the development that took place after WB bought Turbine. It's gone downhill. I also don't believe in coincidence in business. Just my couple bucks worth.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    You're making an assumption that they do. My belief is they don't. The direction of the game shifted in the development that took place after WB bought Turbine. It's gone downhill. I also don't believe in coincidence in business. Just my couple bucks worth.
    I'm not making that assumption, I'm merely saying that the level to which the person I responded to thinks that WB should be involved in LotRO (especially when it is a different division of the company) is not the level to which they are. And that we should be thankful for that for exactly the reason you describe.

If there has been any affect from WB, which there's no proof regardless of what you say, it would be much worse if every aspect of the company was trying to milk the product. Maybe some part of the company is involved, but it's not some widescale top down managing and synergy that they are trying to achieve with Turbine. So like I said, it's a good thing that they are mostly left to do what they do. But hey, I get that your negative bias makes you hang out on the forums hating on the game you play. I see people like you in WoW forums all the time.

Makes me wonder why you still play if you dislike the direction they've gone so much. Just vote with your wallet and go elsewhere. *shrug*

PS: I don't mean that in a mean way if it sounds blunt. I'm being completely serious. Maybe I've misjudged your posts, but it seems like you aren't satisfied with the product. At some point you have to come to terms with it and find something else to do. It sucks when we have to do that, but sometimes we do.
    Last edited by Kittyvicious; Feb 28 2014 at 10:46 AM.
    BAD WOLF

I'm not making that assumption, I'm merely saying that the level to which the person I responded to thinks that WB should be involved in LotRO (especially when it is a different division of the company) is not the level to which they are. And that we should be thankful for that for exactly the reason you describe.

If there has been any affect from WB, which there's no proof regardless of what you say, it would be much worse if every aspect of the company was trying to milk the product. Maybe some part of the company is involved, but it's not some widescale top down managing and synergy that they are trying to achieve with Turbine. So like I said, it's a good thing that they are mostly left to do what they do. But hey, I get that your negative bias makes you hang out on the forums hating on the game you play. I see people like you in WoW forums all the time.

Makes me wonder why you still play if you dislike the direction they've gone so much. Just vote with your wallet and go elsewhere. *shrug*

PS: I don't mean that in a mean way if it sounds blunt. I'm being completely serious. Maybe I've misjudged your posts, but it seems like you aren't satisfied with the product. At some point you have to come to terms with it and find something else to do. It sucks when we have to do that, but sometimes we do.
    Leaving Lotro is like a divorce. Especially those that have been here for a while. You hang out and try to figure out what went wrong. There is still a desperation of trying to fix things. You remember promises that were made and never fulfilled. Then you think of things you could have done different. It takes a while to realize that all the effort, the past love and the good feelings are ending. Most divorces aren't simple. But at least in this case you can stop paying alimony or child support!
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

I voted with my wallet last April when the RNG in Erebor got ridiculous and T2 Flight didn't complete for everybody and the chest had NOTHING but 3 gems in it for an entire raid. I quit buying TP and I made sure I used TP to buy the expansion. Since I used to buy TP regularly it was a fair amount of money I no longer spent on the game. But I have 3 lifetime accounts and I love lotro, so instead of just abandoning it and saying "seeya sucker" I fight to improve that which I love. Since it costs me nothing, I have the luxury of choice.

EDIT: I also believe that merely complaining isn't productive. I participated in the beta, I've made suggestions, I've tried to give productive feedback, and I've made it clear I'm willing to pay for better content. I also have a class whose dev seems to be effectively MIA since the first week other than random drive-by meaningless comments, and so I fight the battle on that front. Mostly I believe if you want to see change you should be part of it.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    I voted with my wallet last April when the RNG in Erebor got ridiculous and T2 Flight didn't complete for everybody and the chest had NOTHING but 3 gems in it for an entire raid. I quit buying TP and I made sure I used TP to buy the expansion. Since I used to buy TP regularly it was a fair amount of money I no longer spent on the game. But I have 3 lifetime accounts and I love lotro, so instead of just abandoning it and saying "seeya sucker" I fight to improve that which I love. Since it costs me nothing, I have the luxury of choice.

EDIT: I also believe that merely complaining isn't productive. I participated in the beta, I've made suggestions, I've tried to give productive feedback, and I've made it clear I'm willing to pay for better content. I also have a class whose dev seems to be effectively MIA since the first week other than random drive-by meaningless comments, and so I fight the battle on that front. Mostly I believe if you want to see change you should be part of it.
    All of which sounds like a good plan and I approve of staying around to help make things better.

Unfortunately, comments that just bash Turbine and/or WB, no matter how you feel about the direction of the game, fall into the "merely complaining" category. Things like that serve only to poison a forum and any new players who read it. You may be hoping to stay and help, but for every new person who comes to the forum, reads the comments about WB, and decides to leave because the game is "going downhill" is one less voice we have to help push for improvements. It may also be one less number on whatever spreadheets WB receives on LOTRO, and one step closer to Turbine being able to do even less with the game.

Again, I appreciate every person who has played the game for a while, disagrees with some things they see happening now, and stays around to help. Those same people, though, can sometimes end up being the most toxic part of a community and the least helpful when it comes to overall player attitude. Keep pushing for change, but try keeping a good attitude about it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    *snip*
    And that was sorta the impression I got, which is why I mentioned it. I haven't been playing for 7 years or however long the game has been out. I did play in beta, but I don't think I actually played the game until it was F2P. Since that time I have played sporadically over the years, so I can't say I'm the most 'respected' voice on the game. I haven't even played enough to get a character to the original level cap until recently (due to my altoholism and immersion in professions/running around/festivals).

With that being said, it's hard to say that LotRO has always been the game I wanted to play for a long time. I knew that it deserved some focused attention and I should really see what it had to offer. Coming from WoW and other games where people are incessantly hostile towards the developers, I certainly didn't want to find the same things in this game. Unfortunately it seems that the growing dissatisfaction with games and their developers has poisoned the pure joy of playing games completely. I understand that changes affect people and I have been on the other side before wising up, but it's (without trying to be melodramatic) heart breaking.

I already have this weird fear that LotRO won't last forever and wont' last long enough for me to experience it and I will have missed out. Reading all the negative opinions of the game only reinforces that fear. It makes me feel like trying to play the game is still going to be a waste. I say this just to point out how this type of 'feedback' does more harm than good to new or possibly less veteran players.

Luckily I can still forge ahead with my own experiences and choose to spend my own money, but somehow I expected better from the people playing this game. Admittedly this is naïve, but I'm done imagining developers swimming in pools of gold while meticulously crafting plans to make sure we have no fun. I don't do that with Blizzard. I'm not going to do it with Turbine either. Call me old school, but I'm over all that and moved on to simply enjoying games as they are presented again.

It doesn't bother me if the game is simple. It doesn't bother me if things change. I just want to be inside of the beautiful world questing away, saving the free peoples, and grinding whatever particular facet of the game I want. And I want to commend the people that bring such wonderful experiences to life for me. My type of view may not belong in MMOs anymore, especially considering I'm a solo MMO player to the core now, but it is what it is. /emo off
    BAD WOLF

"It doesn't bother me if the game is simple. It doesn't bother me if things change. I just want to be inside of the beautiful world questing away, saving the free peoples, and grinding whatever particular facet of the game I want. And I want to commend the people that bring such wonderful experiences to life for me. My type of view may not belong in MMOs anymore, especially considering I'm a solo MMO player to the core now, but it is what it is. /emo off"

The reality is this game is made for you! It is slanted toward your play style and there is nothing wrong with how you want to play. I think the pain is for those who don't want to be unchallenged and long for group play. The way I see it LOTRO used to please most play styles. Granted if you were a solo player there were some obstacles in the beginning (mainly book quests that required fellowship). The solo player has basically everything they want. The RP still have a lot of great content. The Raiders not so much anymore. The causal group players have a little bit left but not much. And the future appears to be slanted toward solo player or causal player (by causal I mean those that don't want to grind and yet get some epic rewards). I have stated this many times in the kin that there is nothing wrong if are a solo, group or raider. Fun is defined by the player.

I am in the middle. I love to be able to solo but I also loved those raiding night we had in our kin. I haven't been to one since last summer. We try to schedule them but it is hard to get enough to log on and do 6 mans (they did do a 12 man 2 weeks ago!). There is no indication that LOTRO will go back to those days. So I join with other in voicing our opinions. The hate does happen, which is unfortunate. It is important not to mistake frustration with hate. Many people love LOTRO but are at various levels of frustration.
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

Quote Originally Posted by Thornglen View Post
    Again, I appreciate every person who has played the game for a while, disagrees with some things they see happening now, and stays around to help. Those same people, though, can sometimes end up being the most toxic part of a community and the least helpful when it comes to overall player attitude. Keep pushing for change, but try keeping a good attitude about it, too.
    Something else you have to realize is most of us who haven't left but push for change have had to have thick skins. We've been told since early beta that we're out of touch, even when no whining was involved, and we were told many times we should get over it and just move on. In persisting to post feedback and try to effect change you lose the polish and refinement you may have had in the beginning. I say may have had, because I'm direct at the best of times. I don't do subtle and I don't sugar coat like "this is really sweet of you to give me trait trees but there's a couple slight adjustments I think might be helpful..." I've posted suggestions, identified problems, parsed numbers for dps and healing, requested attention to broken skills, pointed out issues of locked skills in the wrong place, but when you're met with crickets for 5-6 months you get testy.

I love this game and I want to see it succeed. Now look at any history and you'll see people who have driven change were not the politically correct darlings that brought the popular message of sweetness and light. The forum has rules to keep things under control when it comes to toxic.
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

Quote Originally Posted by PluckFSH View Post
    Think about that; Warner Bros, the producers of the Hobbit movies and owners of LOTRO, did absolutely no cross promotion whatsoever.
    It just is not that simple. Someone has to pay for that. It has to come out of a budget. LotRO is a tiny fish in a big pond at WB. Companies just don't share this stuff across all the groups, they're not like communes. The most Turbine would have gotten is a slightly easier time get authorized to use some trademarks in advertising, if they even had the budget to make some big advertising push.

Technically, some big executive would have pulled some strings and made something happen. But that is so incredibly un-corporate like that it is unlikely to happen. At the level that this happens I suspect the exec would say "oh, we have companies that make games too?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3