We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 63
  1. #1

    Turbine / LOTRO Interviews

    I'm wondering if anyone from Turbine could start promoting the game more in the gaming press, like they used to. Maybe I've missed it....certainly possible.

    I'm thinking that conversations such as this: http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/38088 would be fantastic now and again (how's THAT for a look back). While I had already been playing by this time, just hearing about the game (or seeing it in print somewhere) in gaming sites encouraged me to dig deeper into it.

  2. #2
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    We usually do press around content releases. You can expect more conversations with producers and devs as we get closer to launching Update 13.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    We usually do press around content releases. You can expect more conversations with producers and devs as we get closer to launching Update 13.
    I saw reports that Turbine did some marketing with the DVD/Blueray releases of LOTR content. I'd hope that these TP codes were tracked to see if they were used by any NEW users. I'd hope that these new users would encourage Turbine to get some kind of advertising out which would be viewed along with the final part of the Hobbit movie trilogy.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    1,643
    If there isn't a big new release, or something news-worthy, then an old game like LOTRO simply will not get the coverage in the gaming press that many players would like. It simply doesn't make sense for developers or PR to push something that isn't new or near release, and most journalists, even those who might be sympathetic to a certain game, will have a difficult time convincing editors to give them a goahead for such unjuicy coverage. The next best thing is a weekly column, like that at Massively.

    As for general advertising, I saw a reasonable amount with Helm's Deep. I'd certainly like to see WB take more advantage of the Hobbit film and DVD releases, but the expense versus the return may be prohibitive.

    -Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Belnavar View Post

    As for general advertising, I saw a reasonable amount with Helm's Deep. I'd certainly like to see WB take more advantage of the Hobbit film and DVD releases, but the expense versus the return may be prohibitive.

    -Bel
    I saw targeted banner ads for Helms Deep. I didnt see anything else around that period that wasn't gaming-press related.

    If we want more users for a game with this long of a history, we need to look outside main-stream-gamers, and probably focus more on exposure to peoples who have a love of the IP than anything else.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Surrounded by familiar faces, worn out places... worn out places..
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    I saw targeted banner ads for Helms Deep. I didnt see anything else around that period that wasn't gaming-press related.

    If we want more users for a game with this long of a history, we need to look outside main-stream-gamers, and probably focus more on exposure to peoples who have a love of the IP than anything else.
    Actually there was plenty of press coverage other than the banner ads. For instance there was a part, I believe this was with IGN, where Hannah Foell and another dev showed the BBs in their beta state, whilst there was also coverage on massively, e.g. Reviews were later also given on several sites, including TenTonHammer and GameFront.

    However, I believed the press surrounding it wasn't as... obvious as it was with RoR. But we'll see. I would at least expect that TenTonHammer and probably also massively will report on U13. But we'll see.
    Do not trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
    Easca could manipulate a bull through a mousehole and still make it think it did it all by itself.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    If we want more users for a game with this long of a history, we need to look outside main-stream-gamers, and probably focus more on exposure to peoples who have a love of the IP than anything else.
    Yeah, good point. My example in the OP certainly isn't something non-gamers see.

    I appreciate the difficulty there is in marketing something like LOTRO...even with its IP....outside of PC gamers. You can't play it on Facebook, on your smartphone, on the IPad, on XBox or PS, or as a quick browser game. But the IP has to count for something. If you're not used to playing stand-alone games on the PC, or online PC games, it's a heavy lift to convince someone to download GB's of data and install something. Going F2P was necessary to catch the low-hanging fruit of casual players or other MMOG players who knew their way around PC's ....now something is needed to not only introduce the game to people who don't play those, but to get them over the hurdle of a big PC game. I see this on my own....people I know who liked the LOTR books and the movies just can't wrap their heads around the idea of playing a game on their computer about that same place. But they agree they would at least look at something if there was a playable link from their Facebook page *sigh*.


    How did WoW do it? They had no IP that anyone knew about other than PC gamers. I don't recall them doing mass advertising until the game had been out for years (Mr. T, etc), at which point they could afford it and advertising wasn't even necessary. Guess this is why I'm not in advertising. I just want LOTRO to be incredibly successful, as it should be.
    Last edited by Occum; Feb 21 2014 at 10:09 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Easca View Post
    Actually there was plenty of press coverage other than the banner ads. For instance there was a part, I believe this was with IGN, where Hannah Foell and another dev showed the BBs in their beta state, whilst there was also coverage on massively, e.g. Reviews were later also given on several sites, including TenTonHammer and GameFront.

    However, I believed the press surrounding it wasn't as... obvious as it was with RoR. But we'll see. I would at least expect that TenTonHammer and probably also massively will report on U13. But we'll see.
    All of that is gaming-press related. They do the same for other updates/expansions. (And most of them do it for other games/companies as well)
    Last edited by Crell_1; Feb 21 2014 at 09:30 PM.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Occum View Post
    How did WoW do it? They had no IP that anyone knew about other than PC gamers. I don't recall them doing mass advertising until the game had been out for years (Mr. T, etc), at which point they could afford it and advertising wasn't even necessary. Guess this is why I'm not in advertising. I just want LOTRO to be incredibly successful, as it should be.
    WoW had that darling of the Dot.com bubble -- First mover status.

    In the early years, WOW had no competition. When its boxes hit the gaming stores in the Malls, the PC gaming business was NOT on-line. The existing On-line games were NOT in the gaming stores.

    Part of the "Banner Ad" issue is tied to Google Ads (and other similar services). Those "services" determine what ads are displayed on what sites. Neither the site nor the advertiser has significant control. A site can accept#or reject certain types of ads, or specific ads, but that is about it. An advertiser, I think, can select the "type" of site they want their ad to appear on, but they have no control over what sites fall into that category. It truly is a very scatter gun approach.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,780
    I've always felt Turbine takes a generic approach to marketing with LotRO and it does them a disservice. Focusing they target ads too much on gamers instead of casual people just searching for the IP, creating interactive ads that bring LotRO to life for someone who loves the IP but may not understand gaming.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    If we want more users for a game with this long of a history, we need to look outside main-stream-gamers, and probably focus more on exposure to peoples who have a love of the IP than anything else.
    There are extremely few games that market to the general public, and they spend a fortune for the advertising (often for brand new game that flops soon after). WoW is an exception, we are never going to have the deep pockets they have and shouldn't waste money trying to catch up.

    I notice the biggest buzz right now is with elder scrolls online, which is only marketing on gaming sites.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    There are extremely few games that market to the general public, and they spend a fortune for the advertising (often for brand new game that flops soon after). WoW is an exception, we are never going to have the deep pockets they have and shouldn't waste money trying to catch up.
    In this case, WB owning Turbine, is in a unique position to attach a trailer at not much cost if they wish.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    In this case, WB owning Turbine, is in a unique position to attach a trailer at not much cost if they wish.
    Not so sure. This stuff is complicated in Hollywood. Turbine as a subsidiary would have to pay full price for the add to a different subsidiary, and that subsidiary making the movie is likely partnered with many other entities not related to WB. It's even complicated outside of Hollywood for subsidiaries.

  14. #14
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    In this case, WB owning Turbine, is in a unique position to attach a trailer at not much cost if they wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lohi View Post
    Not so sure. This stuff is complicated in Hollywood. Turbine as a subsidiary would have to pay full price for the add to a different subsidiary, and that subsidiary making the movie is likely partnered with many other entities not related to WB. It's even complicated outside of Hollywood for subsidiaries.
    I can't get really specific, but the fact is costs are still an issue. It's like saying, "My brother is the manager of the store, so I should get free or discounted food." it doesn't really work that way.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    I can't get really specific, but the fact is costs are still an issue. It's like saying, "My brother is the manager of the store, so I should get free or discounted food." it doesn't really work that way.
    You need to give your brother 'what for' if he didn't bring you home some free pizza or tacos at some point.
    BAD WOLF

  16. #16
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    You need to give your brother 'what for' if he didn't bring you home some free pizza or tacos at some point.
    He never gave me free gas when he managed a chain of gas stations either.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    151
    Sapience,
    Can you comment on how the recent layoffs are going to affect LOTRO's production cycle? You said not to believe rumors, but frankly rumors are all we have.

    Thanks!


    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it seems to have your attention....

  18. #18
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodrick View Post
    Sapience,
    Can you comment on how the recent layoffs are going to affect LOTRO's production cycle? You said not to believe rumors, but frankly rumors are all we have.

    Thanks!


    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but it seems to have your attention....
    I pay attention to almost every thread. As I've said before, I said what I could. I think if you take the rumors you're referring to and consider that most are from people who made fake accounts, to make fake assertions and even claim to be people they were not (apparently I posted that I was laid off, which is obviously not true) you end up with the full value of said rumors. Which is, 0. Not even rumors really, just people trolling and trying to be highly disrespectful to those impacted.

    As for production changes, impact, and anything of that sort, I can only say that you'll have some information soon. In fact, you'll have some Incredisoon™! (which just reminded me that I need to get that reposted)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post

    As for production changes, impact, and anything of that sort, I can only say that you'll have some information soon. In fact, you'll have some Incredisoon™! (which just reminded me that I need to get that reposted)


    Thank You!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    He never gave me free gas when he managed a chain of gas stations either.
    Of all the nerve!!! My grandfather managed a service station when I was a child (back when they actually serviced cars!), and he always gave me my pick from the candy, soda, and ice cream treats.

    With something like LOTRO, sometimes one of the best ways to get the attention of people who love the IP but aren't necessarily gamers is word-of-mouth. IP fans in most genres are often into more than just the IP. There's a whole segment of the sci-fi fantasy genre fan base that is heavily into replica props, for example. There may be something of an overlap with gaming interests, but there are a lot of people who may not be into gaming and may not think about the opportunity LOTRO would give them to immerse themselves in Middle-Earth.

    Then there are the casual fans, like I was. Heck, I'm here because a friend of mine suggested it during a casual text message conversation when I was watching a repeat of one of the movies. I read both The Hobbit and the trilogy in high school, but wasn't necessarily a big fan at the time. That's changed now, of course! Not only am I playing the game regularly and considering rolling a third character, my Christmas wish list included the annotated The Hobbit and the anniversary edition of the trilogy. My game experience prior to LOTRO was limited to the original Zelda and both Dungeon Keeper titles.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Drinking in Bree
    Posts
    1,801
    My older sister and brother in law are optometrist & optician -- I get free annual eye exams. My younger brother is a lawyer -- I get my will and powers of attorney done for free. My mom is a tax consultant -- my taxes get done every year for free.

    You need to fire your brother, Sapience, and get another one.

    Thanks (to you & all the Team) for getting a production/impact update ready for us.

  22. #22
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,519
    Quote Originally Posted by angadan View Post
    you need to fire your brother, sapience, and get another one.
    You can do that!!!!??????

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Drinking in Bree
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    You can do that!!!!??????
    lol, okay, maybe not. But at least give him a stern talking to. Unless he's bigger than you AND can outrun you. In that case, best to just sit quiet about it all.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Grandvillle, MI, USA
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    You can do that!!!!??????
    Pff, in this economy? You could have another brother by the end of the week.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,363
    Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    lol, okay, maybe not. But at least give him a stern talking to. Unless he's bigger than you AND can outrun you. In that case, best to just sit quiet about it all.
    Nah, you just have to be sneakier. I had an older sister.

    Thank you for letting us know we'll have more information soon, Sapience. I think any information that can be given will help relieve the anxiety that piles on top of any other issues people might have already.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload