We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question How to transition from solo play to fellowship/raid?

I have lvl 95 Hobbit Hunter, my first and only character, and I've always played solo. I would like to try some fellowship play/raids/instances, but my character's level and my own skill level are at extreme odds. I don't want to frustrate companions expecting a lvl 95 combat monster with basic, inept play.

Should I start a new lvl 1 character to try and fellowship with others? Or is there a way a level-capped character can join with lower levels?

How do the experienced players on the board suggest I work myself into group play style?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Duxx741 View Post
    I have lvl 95 Hobbit Hunter, my first and only character, and I've always played solo. I would like to try some fellowship play/raids/instances, but my character's level and my own skill level are at extreme odds. I don't want to frustrate companions expecting a lvl 95 combat monster with basic, inept play.

Should I start a new lvl 1 character to try and fellowship with others? Or is there a way a level-capped character can join with lower levels?

How do the experienced players on the board suggest I work myself into group play style?

Thanks!
    Nowadays most content is so easy that top play is not demanded nor required.

However, that does not mean it is not desirable. I suggest doing outside research on the burg, and know your class well. Spend time on the Burg Forums area, and make sure you understand each and every skill well.

As a burg, you can CC, DPS, and Debuff well, so make sure you are proficient at all of those things.
    I would suggest joining a few fellowship runs such as Sambrog or 3 mans such as School/Library. Those are easy, and allow you to practice your skills in a bigger platform.

Other than that, I defer to someone who actually plays the burglar class.
    ~Rank 11 Loremaster, Landroval~

~Rank 12 Warg, Landroval~

Thanks!
    I too play a hunter, basically do 2 things: 1) Put up target assist window for raids, and 2) Shoot at the target If you are the only hunter, watch the healer in case they take aggro and take it from them. Your job as a hunter is to nuke as many things as possible, avoid the AoEs unless told to use them
    Rimenuir | Fadhroreth| Daechamnir | Beornemgarth | Rimenoath | Rimenseer | Smicho | Picbo | Rimensmash | Rimenswords |Fidough | Lumfratur | Lumhealz | Lumwebs | Lumleads | Lumreaver | Guardians of the Forsaken Woods : Caun
    Arkenstone Server, Originally from Meneldor '11

Checking the forums for guides can help, but the best way is to join a Kinship that is willing to teach you how to do group content. You also may want to rebalance specs from solo to group play (for non-dps classes this usually means getting out of the red line). If you have no other options, just join random public groups and try to follow what is happening, though these groups often are not very good at explaining things.

As a raid leader that has done a lot of instances with both experienced and inexperienced players I would suggest some basic stuff.NUMBER:1 - Always have sound enabled.Don't go into a group or a raid without having sound enabled,most of the times the raid leaders find it easier to talk some stuff out rather than writing an essay,now if you are unable to have sound for any reason just pay attention to the fellowship/raid chat.I would suggest making a separate tab for those two if you have trouble keeping up.NUMBER:2 - Generally speaking Target assist is very important in group situations.Helps out DPS and helps out the tank as well.if you don't have Target Assist enabled click the O button --->Go to the Raid Panel(it's the fourth option) and click on Assist Window on the bottom of the screen.Try to be hitting whatever the DPS leader is hitting and you will be fine.NUMBER:3 - Don't be shy.If you have questions or don't know something ask away.Nobody is going to judge you,nobody is going to make fun of you.If they do then you probably shouldn't be doing an instance with that kind of people.We were all there in the beginning.Nobody started the game with group mentality unless they were like that from previous MMOs.Better ask so you can learn and observe,don't take initiatives if you don't know You will avoid unnecessary or insulting comments by mad people.Raid leaders will always be happy to explain whatever you need to know ^^.NUMBER:4 - Try and have FUN.The purpose of grouping is not at least IMO not just gearing up but sharing a few moments with other players and joke.If you were soloing most of the time you will have a lot of fun with grouping up unless you are that unlucky to just stumble upon hateful people.Cheers!!

Many kins are recruiting these days. I'd suggest trying to find one that enjoys doing group content (many still do) and joining up. They're usually happy to help you learn, explain things, and you'll find many more opportunities than just joining pugs.

If you join a pick up group from GLFF or elsewhere, there were good suggestions above.

1. Have voice enabled so you can listen. Instructions often need to be real-time, and the raid leader won't be typing.
    2. Let them know you need an explanation, or you're new. It's not a bad thing, they're usually happy to explain.
    3. Follow the target assist and directions given. It may not make sense, but it's still critical that you follow the instructions you were given/target assist.
    4. Enjoy yourself.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

The above suggestions are great, much agreed. I'd also recommend staying positive as much as you can. As has been said, this is meant to be fun. Say hello, thank people when they're helpful, enjoy yourself. If you end up in a group that is frustrating you or bringing you down, politely thank them and leave. There's nothing wrong with being new. If you're not a pro, and you get flak for it, thank the group for helping you and move on to a kinder bunch. A thick skin is helpful but should not be necessary for you to play the game you enjoy.
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Join a Kin!!!

The worst possible way to participate in Fellowship or Raid content is in a PUG - Pick-up-Group.
    (Typically a group recruited through GLFF or WORLD chat.)
    A PUG is a random bunch of players who do not play together on a regular basis.
    It is possible that individuals in PUGs may have "rep," but you have no guarantee of that.
    Similarly, you have no way of knowing if the folks in that PUG are any better at game-play than you are.
    "Rep" is normally generated by the player themselves boasting of their superiority.
    Rarely, especially in PUG situations, is "rep" something with which others have experience. You have no way to verify that rep.

In a Kinship, you have the opportunity to build relationships with others -- to learn both their skills as well as their play-styles.
    In a Kinship, you can easily ask questions WHEN YOU ARE NOT UNDER PRESSURE TO PERFORM.
    Questions you can never ask in GLFF or WORLD without being ridiculed by the "leets" hanging out there.
    In a Kinship, you know the "rep" of your fellow kinnies -- you play with them on a regular basis; you chat with them in Kinchat.
    In a Kinship, you quickly learn who has what skills used in Fellowship and Raid play -- and skills here refer to "play style."
    Is a particular player very good at leading? -- not just because they have a particular class, but because they know the Raid or other content.
    Is a particular player good at Crowd-control?

Obviously, not every Kinship is a good Kinship.
    Those that have been around for "years" are superior to those which have just organized -- unless that kinship is formed of a bunch of "real-world" friends.
    Most Kinships have blurbs either in the individual Server Forums here at lotro.com or over at Lotro-Wiki.com https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/List_of_Kinships
    The list on the Wiki is not necessarily current, as kinships come and go, but it is a good starting point.
    Kinships have many different attributes. Some are more general than others. Some, like the Lonely Mountain Band on Landroval, are pretty specific.
    Virtually all Kinships are committed to helping each other.
    Kinships are what LOTRO is all about. They are what differentiate LOTRO from other MMOs.

All of that said, a couple of general comments on your "playing resources" ---
    1- Do you have all of your Trait Points. At level 95 as a Hunter, you should have at least 61.
    2- Are all your virtues "up to snuff?" As of Update 14 the cap on virtues is 19.
    3- What kind of LI do you have and its configuration.
    4- What kind of Armour and Jewellery do you have?

These items make a big difference in the abilities your character has available to them in any situation.

How to optimize those points, virtues and gear? -- ask your kinmates for opinions. In the end, it will come down to your personal play-style.
    There are no hard and fast rules.

The most important thing to remember is -- LOTRO is a game and is for having fun.
    Bill Magill Mac Player
    (OTG)
    Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valanne - Beorning (90)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Most landscape adventures are so easy you can likely do whatever you want, but it is annoying for non-hunters if the hunter in the group is berzerking everything to dust and the rest are there to keep the hunter in one piece.

In a situation that requires a group, or you instigate a group instance, the first thing you ALL need to agree on, is tactics. As a hunter in the group, this usually means using PATIENCE.

I'll just elaborate on a standard group: DPS, Healing, Tanking, (CC/De-buff). Most often you will be DPS. The tankers want aggro, the healers do not, and you should be content to provide DPS, CC or pull aggro from the healers/squishies, but NOT from the tank!

There is A LOT of flexibility in classes now, so there is no hard and fast rules anymore. I like a group that operates so everyone feels they are contributing, and no one feels like they are tagging along for the ride or just dead weight.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)