We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    107

    Helm's Dike Solo/Duo - The hell is this?

    So, having just bought HD a few days ago, I decided to try out one of the BBs. Naturally, the
    first one, Helm's Dike. I figured I could do it myself after some reading, so no worries. However,
    I didn't realize that either the scaling sucks terribly, or solo just isn't a good idea. Yes, I was
    told that duo is the way to go, but my wife doesn't own HD, and likely never will after listening
    to me scream at the game for over an hour trying to do this BB twice.

    Sure, damage was nice (not really, my wife's level 55 minstrel hits harder than my scaled level
    95 minstrel, at least on crits) and it was fun.. at first. Then came the side quests.

    Protect the Horses: Failed. Couldn't kill orcs quick enough. Healed horses, but either morale never
    increased or there just wasn't enough to overcome incoming damage.

    Guarding the Watchtower: Failed. Couldn't kill mobs quick enough. Tried disarming casks, still
    failed.

    Flames at the Gate: Failed. Can't kill uruks before archers die. Can't place catapult, no points
    available to me. Can't put out fires quick enough, and then archers have no arrows anyway.

    Helm's Dike: Failed. Uruks killed the archers and rushed Gamling while I pelted them with 600,
    1200, and 1700 damage skills. GG.

    On the second go round, I still failed all 3 side quests (same 3, actually), but managed to keep
    everything off of Gamling long enough to "win". 5.5k xp (level 39) and 8 points/1 Promo point.
    Then I see that I need 60 points to get to where I can use cats? I see now that I only
    need 20 points to be able to use barricades, but that's still 19 points off.

    So please, someone tell me just how I'm supposed to do these battles. If it involves struggling
    my way through it until I scrape together enough points to actually get the necessary ranks,
    then screw it. I'll just not do the epic quests or these annoying battles at all. I want to finish
    the epic line, but not at the cost of what pleasure I take out of the game.

    Clarification: Did this on a level 39 minstrel with poor gear under the assumption that it wouldn't
    matter due to scaling. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

    Edit: The reward points you get for completing the BBs. Are those earned just the one time? As
    stated above, I earned 8 points, so I'm at 8/20 for my first reward bar. If I complete it again, with
    the exact same medals earned (read: bronze for main, none for side), do I earn an additional 3
    points? Or do I have to do better in order to earn more points?
    Last edited by scithen; Feb 20 2014 at 03:13 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    312
    Almost my own experience. Went as lvl.95 Champion (but I could went as lvl.10 champion with a fork as well). My kinnie was here, operating ballista. he took some advancing Orcs, then I helped Rohirrim to fight, then some horses were killed, 1 tower blown and some mines could not be destroyed by me. Only thanks to kinnie we won, I had some (3? 5?) points.
    Invested into Engineer, but still can't build barricades.

    My own verdict: BB are useless. In order to perform well, you should be efficient Engineer; in order to be efficient Engineer, you should perform well. It's like: we would sell you a car, but you should have a garage; and cannot have a garage if you don't have a car.

    The only solution for BBs – come with very experienced player that would do most of job and you would have just to run around. Otherwise these battles are not worth any attention.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    710
    You should remember that every player start BB at some point. So while it's true it's far easiest to start BB with an experienced R6 engineer.... the real thing is to duo all BB. If you do well, you can achieve R3 within a few days.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardhik View Post
    You should remember that every player start BB at some point. So while it's true it's far easiest to start BB with an experienced R6 engineer.... the real thing is to duo all BB. If you do well, you can achieve R3 within a few days.
    Except that not all of us like to play duo or with a fellowship. My wife doesn't even have anything
    past Lothlorien, so I can't group up with her. My laptop doesn't like grouping either, for that matter.
    I need to get a new one but they're too expensive for me, so I make due solo.

    Edit: Just did it on my 85 warden and things went much better.. so I guess level and gear do make
    a big difference. Still didn't go too well, but Defiant Challenge was a godsend.
    Last edited by scithen; Feb 20 2014 at 04:17 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by scithen View Post
    Clarification: Did this on a level 39 minstrel with poor gear under the assumption that it wouldn't
    matter due to scaling. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    The level you're at, 39, matters. Scaling you up to 95 does not make you as effective as a 95 minstrel.

    I have a 95 minstrel. She hits mobs for 25k on a crit, and 12-18k AOE damage on a crit. I can do Helms Dike solo and platinum everything except Flames at the Gate. Minstrels have one of the easier times in this BB actually, but Turbine said from the beginning that an upscaled character would not have the same effectiveness as a true 95. I wish there was better news.

    If it's any consolation I also screamed obscenities at the monitor as I learned the BB system. Notice I say learned it, not enjoyed it. I still hate them with a passion and as soon as I got my random loot from the BBs to where I was outfitted sufficiently I quit going. I only go in now to help unranked friends, and that's only because I love my friends.
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

  6. #6
    There is a problem with tactical damage scaling.
    Tactical Damage Rating (TDR), which you can find on LIs scales, sortof (it scales more to like 85 than 95), but if you don't have LIs it'll only be set to a lvl 50 equivilant, since after lvl 50 LIs are the only way to get TDR (up to level 50 you get 1 TDR every level).
    Physical classes don't have this problem as much since DPS is also on regular weapons.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,544
    Quote Originally Posted by scithen View Post
    However, I didn't realize that either the scaling sucks terribly, or solo just isn't a good idea.
    Actually it's both. The scaling system is very crude and not really effective for levels below 65-70 (when the RoI gear becomes available and you'll have most of your trait-deeds done usually). The "starting at level 10" is basically a marketing joke. And for obvious reasons doing them solo is more difficult than in a duo as the instances don't change. Especially at the beginning when you have no "role" points and don't know the quests and areas they are a horrible grind (on some classes more than others).

    Short story: Ignore Epic Battles until you're about level 85 (better 95 of course), and if possible try to bring an experienced friend along.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    107
    Yeah, I knew that a scaled 95 wouldn't be as good as a proper level 95, I was just hoping I'd
    actually have a shot. I did notice a huge improvement on my 85 warden, though, even to the
    point of getting gold on the Helm Hammerhand statue quest on my second time.

    I'd already made up my mind after doing it on my warden to pretty much ignore the entire
    system until 85+.. good to see that people back that decision up. Though if I can only get xp
    and reward points for doing better on the missions, I really doubt I'll do them more than once
    per character, or whatever the epic line requires.

    I was expecting to get exp/ixp from all the quests on my warden, but that didn't seem to be
    the case. As I recall, I only got it from doing the statue quest (silver to gold), and not the
    powder quest (didn't improve on the second time). But then, there's so much "The soldier
    defeated the archer" in my chat log that I may have missed it. Need to turn that filter off. >.<

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,095
    All I can say is that just keep trying on different Battles and different sidequests: some of them are easier than others. I know well that before R3 things are a lot more difficult (especially when you first begin as you cannot even place barricades yet), but things will get a lot easier after you reach Rank 3 engineer. Use your other trait setup for officer traits as you need that as well so you can set focus to sappers and 2-handed mode where needed.

    Personally I have done ONLY solo big battles (in live I mean), and none of them in duo: there has been only me. I try to play all my 9 classes evenly, so first I tried to get Rank 1 with one class, after I reached it I focused on second character etc. After all were R1, I started to get them to R2 etc. At this point all my characters are R4-5, so it is possible to reach R5 solo, but it's not easy. Also there are several side quests where it's not simply possible with R4 (haven't played with my R5's yet) to get higher than gold medal, so I rather play something else than keep banging my head against brick wall. But still, after R3, you can get platinum medals from several side quests.

    Helm's Dike is the easiest battle of five solo ones, because you have unlimited time to prepare. Of course it doesn't help much if you are low ranked, but Proudcdn has made a good guide for that battle, so check that and it might give you some ideas what to do better next time. Personally I use a bit modified tactics to that, but if I prepare well enough, it's usually platinum for side quests and main quest, unless I am unlucky and a soldier dies somewhere when I occupied elsewhere.

    Still, I would say solo Big Battles (and especially some side quests) are (IMO) balanced more for duo instead of solo (although the goal was vice versa), and they can be very frustrating at times. But the best tip I can give is to try every battle and every side quest you can, as even without rank you might get bronze/silver from some side-quests and that nets you those valuable promotion points. 60 points / Rank 3 is the goal, and you will get there little by little.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    900
    Hi,

    To compensate for some sidequests that are more or less impossible (if not very lucky) to plat solo i recommend glittering cave 3-mans. 'bats' and 'stalactites' are doable silver/gold already on r3 engineer solo, platinum on r5. This is how i got my solo-only high-level char to r6.

    r5/r6 might actually proove to be be impossible on some low-levels solo. I have done some testing on an xp-disabled level 20 Mini just to see how the scaling works. Some sidequests are impossible to me because of to bad dps. 'Siege-ladders' is a good example. Even if i only go for the ladders it takes me longer time just to 'kill' the hooks than the mission allows. Rank won't matter so it's a guaranteed fail. I can still get platinum-rewards so not a big issue tbh, but the dps-scaling for low levels could need some work. (And you can all probably guess what platinum EB rewards i have gotten so far. Yeah, right, pocket-items... Really lovely for a tortoise-equipped char)

    I will keep on testing and see how far i can take it. R4 is probably doable without much hassle, but r5+? Not sure.

    Regards
    /T

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    160
    Some people will assure you that it is possible to do almost all the side quests solo. I'm not one of those.

    In fact, I despise BBs so much that I will even delay the epic book until I find a friend to do them with me as a duo.

    I've only gotten rank 6 on my main, and the rest are not even rank 1, and most likely will never be. Most of the points come from playing as a duo or fellowship.

    My advice is to try them at level 95, after you get some good gear, and read some guides on what to do from the forum. There are some excellent ones.

    Good luck!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    Hi,

    To compensate for some sidequests that are more or less impossible (if not very lucky) to plat solo i recommend glittering cave 3-mans. 'bats' and 'stalactites' are doable silver/gold already on r3 engineer solo, platinum on r5. This is how i got my solo-only high-level char to r6.
    Heh, I thought this strategy as well some time ago (although basically it's a bit like cheating :b), and decided to try Glittering Caves 3-man solo (especially since Civilian Defence is easier on 3-man than solo!), but that didn't go well because one of the main fronts got overrun already while I was preparing for the first side-quest, so I got a message saying I failed the main quest and that's it. Never tried that again, although I think it happened a a couple of updates back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias_R View Post
    r5/r6 might actually proove to be be impossible on some low-levels solo. I have done some testing on an xp-disabled level 20 Mini just to see how the scaling works. Some sidequests are impossible to me because of to bad dps. 'Siege-ladders' is a good example. Even if i only go for the ladders it takes me longer time just to 'kill' the hooks than the mission allows. Rank won't matter so it's a guaranteed fail. I can still get platinum-rewards so not a big issue tbh, but the dps-scaling for low levels could need some work. (And you can all probably guess what platinum EB rewards i have gotten so far. Yeah, right, pocket-items... Really lovely for a tortoise-equipped char)

    I will keep on testing and see how far i can take it. R4 is probably doable without much hassle, but r5+? Not sure.

    Regards
    /T
    R5 is possible solo (reached that with 4 characters so far), but you have to pick and choose the sidequests so you can squeeze out those promotion points you need (100 for R5). R6 is not possible to reach solo (at least at the moment) without doing any group quests.

    The siege-ladder quest was made a bit harder with latest update: mobs are a bit stronger and hooks have more health.

  13. #13
    Once you hit rank 3 engineer you can use the portable barricades, and most of the encounters become trivially easy. The barricades slow the mobs, so the npcs can kill them. Prior to the barricades, most side quests break the instance because the solider chase the mobs all over the map. I'm not sure even the most geared players are stopping each side quest wave without some assistance, so its to be expected things went poorly without many points.

    I got rank 3 doing all the instances as a duo, joining the raid (doing nothing), and a few bouts of glittering caves in a small fellowship.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0420800000014b10a/signature.png]Ranadin[/charsig]

    Ranadin + Happyfish = Ranafish

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    107
    Thanks to everyone for the wonderful assortment of comments, though I still have a few questions.
    I haven't logged on my warden yet to try Helm's Dike again, so I'll pose them here.

    Regarding reward points. These are awarded as you complete quests, right? One per day per char?
    What about Promo points? Are those earned just the first time quests are completed, or can you
    take a few days/weeks and grind the same BBs to earn points?

    I understand it'll take longer, I'm just trying to figure out how they work. The reward points seem
    fairly finite, which means running BBs all the time once you can get platinum on everything seems
    like a waste of time (to me).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by scithen View Post
    Thanks to everyone for the wonderful assortment of comments, though I still have a few questions.
    I haven't logged on my warden yet to try Helm's Dike again, so I'll pose them here.

    Regarding reward points. These are awarded as you complete quests, right? One per day per char?
    What about Promo points? Are those earned just the first time quests are completed, or can you
    take a few days/weeks and grind the same BBs to earn points?

    I understand it'll take longer, I'm just trying to figure out how they work. The reward points seem
    fairly finite, which means running BBs all the time once you can get platinum on everything seems
    like a waste of time (to me).
    The first time you earn a medal in a BB is the only time you will get promotion points in that BB. For example, if you finish saving the horses with a gold medal for the first time you'll get a promotion point for the gold medal, and if you haven't done it before on any level you'll also get promotion points for silver and bronze. You would get an additional point for that side quest ONLY if you finished it on platinum in that level. The same is true for every side quest and for the main question overall. You cannot go back and earn a gold medal on saving the horses and get another promotion point. Each size of BB has its own point system. You can get points for medals in solo/duo Helms Dike and you can get separate points for Helms Dike 6 man. Deeping Wall has points for solo/duo and 12-man raid medals. Glittering Caves has points for solo/duo and 3-man. The other two are only available solo/duo.
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemooch View Post
    The first time you earn a medal in a BB is the only time you will get promotion points in that BB. For example, if you finish saving the horses with a gold medal for the first time you'll get a promotion point for the gold medal, and if you haven't done it before on any level you'll also get promotion points for silver and bronze. You would get an additional point for that side quest ONLY if you finished it on platinum in that level. The same is true for every side quest and for the main question overall. You cannot go back and earn a gold medal on saving the horses and get another promotion point. Each size of BB has its own point system. You can get points for medals in solo/duo Helms Dike and you can get separate points for Helms Dike 6 man. Deeping Wall has points for solo/duo and 12-man raid medals. Glittering Caves has points for solo/duo and 3-man. The other two are only available solo/duo.
    Okay, that's what I figured based on what I saw last night, thank you. Does the same apply
    to the reward points that are earned as well? Or are they awarded once daily based on your
    first run for the day? By reward points, I mean the numbers at the bottom.. the bars that fill
    to get you your jewelry and such.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by scithen View Post
    Okay, that's what I figured based on what I saw last night, thank you. Does the same apply
    to the reward points that are earned as well? Or are they awarded once daily based on your
    first run for the day? By reward points, I mean the numbers at the bottom.. the bars that fill
    to get you your jewelry and such.
    The first time you get a medal in a quest you also get 1 point for the medal and 5 points for your first time. Any other time you get that same medal for that side quest you get only 1 point towards your reward. The side quests and main quest reset daily. I suggest forwarding your points for bronze and silver levels to gold by clicking the --> next to the progression bar. That way you will get only gold or platinum rewards, based on your efforts. Gold unfortunately cannot be forwarded to platinum.
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by scithen View Post
    So, having just bought HD a few days ago, I decided to try out one of the BBs. Naturally, the
    first one, Helm's Dike. I figured I could do it myself after some reading, so no worries. However,
    I didn't realize that either the scaling sucks terribly, or solo just isn't a good idea. Yes, I was
    told that duo is the way to go, but my wife doesn't own HD, and likely never will after listening
    to me scream at the game for over an hour trying to do this BB twice.

    Sure, damage was nice (not really, my wife's level 55 minstrel hits harder than my scaled level
    95 minstrel, at least on crits) and it was fun.. at first. Then came the side quests.

    Protect the Horses: Failed. Couldn't kill orcs quick enough. Healed horses, but either morale never
    increased or there just wasn't enough to overcome incoming damage.

    Guarding the Watchtower: Failed. Couldn't kill mobs quick enough. Tried disarming casks, still
    failed.

    Flames at the Gate: Failed. Can't kill uruks before archers die. Can't place catapult, no points
    available to me. Can't put out fires quick enough, and then archers have no arrows anyway.

    Helm's Dike: Failed. Uruks killed the archers and rushed Gamling while I pelted them with 600,
    1200, and 1700 damage skills. GG.

    On the second go round, I still failed all 3 side quests (same 3, actually), but managed to keep
    everything off of Gamling long enough to "win". 5.5k xp (level 39) and 8 points/1 Promo point.
    Then I see that I need 60 points to get to where I can use cats? I see now that I only
    need 20 points to be able to use barricades, but that's still 19 points off.

    So please, someone tell me just how I'm supposed to do these battles. If it involves struggling
    my way through it until I scrape together enough points to actually get the necessary ranks,
    then screw it. I'll just not do the epic quests or these annoying battles at all. I want to finish
    the epic line, but not at the cost of what pleasure I take out of the game.

    Clarification: Did this on a level 39 minstrel with poor gear under the assumption that it wouldn't
    matter due to scaling. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

    Edit: The reward points you get for completing the BBs. Are those earned just the one time? As
    stated above, I earned 8 points, so I'm at 8/20 for my first reward bar. If I complete it again, with
    the exact same medals earned (read: bronze for main, none for side), do I earn an additional 3
    points? Or do I have to do better in order to earn more points?


    Pretty much the exact experience I had. Some people on the forum pointed out that it's nearly impossible to rank up starting at 0 solo, so you've got to group up with people better than you so they can carry you through the instances and help you rank up.

    Except for two things:

    1) Almost nobody does HDBB's anymore because they're boring as all heck.
    2) The people who are miraculously still doing HDBB's are looking to grind out Platinum medals and refuse to take anyone who isn't already highly ranked.

    My prognosis: F#@% this s@#^.

    Haven't run a BB in over a month. Much happier this way.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/04208000000115b85/01003/signature.png]Theodorius[/charsig]

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Drinking in Bree
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir3 View Post
    Pretty much the exact experience I had. Some people on the forum pointed out that it's nearly impossible to rank up starting at 0 solo, so you've got to group up with people better than you so they can carry you through the instances and help you rank up.
    I disagree entirely. It's not at all impossible to solo these. You simply won't get any plats or golds, at first. Be satisfied learning the battles, so you can do better next time, and be really happy when you get a bronze or silver medal. If you take this approach on all five instances, before too long you'll be gaining engineer/officer ranks. And as you get those ranks, you'll start seeing bronze and silver results turn into silver and gold results, then silver and gold into gold and plat. By rank 6, you'll be platting most of the side quests (a few really are all but impossible to plat solo) and talking about how easy it all is.

    I think a big part of the problem is that people just expect too much top-tier success, too early. Instead accept that growing into it is part of the challenge.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Drinking in Bree
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilean-EU View Post
    R5 is possible solo (reached that with 4 characters so far), but you have to pick and choose the sidequests so you can squeeze out those promotion points you need (100 for R5). R6 is not possible to reach solo (at least at the moment) without doing any group quests.
    I got R6 solo, on my hunter (2nd toon I took through it), and I mean entirely solo, no duos either. And didn't even try to solo GC-SF. So it is (and was, this was before 12.2) possible.

    Recommended, though...? I didn't attempt that again. Far easier to group up to make rank faster.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Midwest, USA
    Posts
    107
    All it took for me was to do them on a higher level character. I almost pulled my hair out on my minstrel,
    but doing them on my 85 warden proved to be much easier, to the point of getting a gold medal on
    a side quest here and there, and being able to get silvers on ones I'd been unable to do at all on my
    minstrel. I've taken to doing 1-2 of them a day for the skirmish marks and medallions, though I don't really
    try to get gold or better just yet. Mobs still tend to ignore me when I use anything other than Defiant
    Challenge, so it's hard to save the archers, workers, etc from dying even in my tank stance.

    I reached R1 so far just going through them once ( *$)@ glittering caves, I hate that one) and then
    running Helm's Dike and Deeping Wall daily. I'm sitting at ~30 points, I think.. R3 still seems like a long ways
    off.

  22. #22
    I made it to r5 entirely solo. I started bb around level 90 or so. It did become easier at 95. I joined a 6 man and a 12 man pug once and got r6. It is difficult until you rank and gain access to barricades but it is possible at least for higher level players. Using the guides really helped. It takes a while to get used to the battle flow. The first platinum side quest I did was Helm's Dike statue of helm hammerhand. The rest took a while to accomplish and some are just impossible until you rank up.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    I disagree entirely. It's not at all impossible to solo these. You simply won't get any plats or golds, at first. Be satisfied learning the battles, so you can do better next time, and be really happy when you get a bronze or silver medal. If you take this approach on all five instances, before too long you'll be gaining engineer/officer ranks. And as you get those ranks, you'll start seeing bronze and silver results turn into silver and gold results, then silver and gold into gold and plat. By rank 6, you'll be platting most of the side quests (a few really are all but impossible to plat solo) and talking about how easy it all is.

    I think a big part of the problem is that people just expect too much top-tier success, too early. Instead accept that growing into it is part of the challenge.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMagius View Post
    I made it to r5 entirely solo. I started bb around level 90 or so. It did become easier at 95. I joined a 6 man and a 12 man pug once and got r6. It is difficult until you rank and gain access to barricades but it is possible at least for higher level players. Using the guides really helped. It takes a while to get used to the battle flow. The first platinum side quest I did was Helm's Dike statue of helm hammerhand. The rest took a while to accomplish and some are just impossible until you rank up.
    It depends on your class. My captain would not be able to even get medals on most of the side quests if she went in solo (failed all she encountered on first 2 big battles including Helms Dike). She has no range, she has no high dps, she has no AOE, and chasing mobs as they run by you doesn't do enough to accomplish anything. My minstrel got silvers, golds, and quickly platinum solo from the beginning. Same player, different class - different results.
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    I disagree entirely. It's not at all impossible to solo these. You simply won't get any plats or golds, at first. Be satisfied learning the battles, so you can do better next time, and be really happy when you get a bronze or silver medal. If you take this approach on all five instances, before too long you'll be gaining engineer/officer ranks. And as you get those ranks, you'll start seeing bronze and silver results turn into silver and gold results, then silver and gold into gold and plat. By rank 6, you'll be platting most of the side quests (a few really are all but impossible to plat solo) and talking about how easy it all is.

    I think a big part of the problem is that people just expect too much top-tier success, too early. Instead accept that growing into it is part of the challenge.
    Agreed. I am ranked 5-6 now with all my 9 classes (some of them are R6, some still R5 but they will be R6 as well within a day or two) and every single one of my BB's has been done solo. BUT I know R6 would have been impossible for me if I would have skipped 3-man version of Glittering Caves. For reasons unknown, 3-man version is easier to solo than solo version. I am soloing 3-man and getting 20-24 promotion points out of that battle, no matter which class I play (didn't try it before I was R5).

    Quote Originally Posted by Angadan View Post
    I got R6 solo, on my hunter (2nd toon I took through it), and I mean entirely solo, no duos either. And didn't even try to solo GC-SF. So it is (and was, this was before 12.2) possible.

    Recommended, though...? I didn't attempt that again. Far easier to group up to make rank faster.
    If you got R6 solo (and didn't do ANY group battles, not even GC 3-man), it means you got platinum from ALL solo side quests and ALL solo main quests. That's quite a feat, I wasn't ranked high enough before 12.2 to test that, but I am pretty sure I can't solo Spider Assault, Civilian Defense, Vandals in the Tower, Defilers In The Water, Searching The Debris or The Final Blockade for platinum now. For gold, yes, but not for platinum. (and for example with Civilian Defence I mean solo version, I can easily plat that in 3-man but not in solo version)

    But yes. Getting to R6 is not hard at all IF you want to do group battles as well. But a lot harder (while still definetely possible) if you only solo.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    6ft under
    Posts
    1,282
    Screw BBs. They're a nightmare. Even when I win, I lose. Did glittering caves the other night on my capped hunter, the spider side quest--was given platinum only to have it bug out at the end and say I failed... then the instance proceeded to strip me of any medal whatsoever AND quest directions. gg.

    If you need marks/meds, solo Icy Crevasse tier 3. You get about ~520 marks and some odd meds per run.

    (This all coming from a solo player--I don't usually have luck finding a partner to grind BBs with and my laptop kicks me if I try to raid)

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload