We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Various Questions About Roleplay

Okay, so I recently have created a few new characters on the Landroval server and I thought 'hey might be fun to roleplay'. I have tried it out a few times, but kind of lack that real excitement. Thus I have a few questions:
    1) Is it common for every other person to have that 'I'm a mysterious guy who likes dark things' background? Noticed that on my hobbit (who is the complete opposite, really).
    2) Why are there so many elves in the Prancing Pony?
    3) Is there anywhere else to RP other than the Prancing Pony? I mean, once I RP-ed briefly with a guy in the Comb and Wattle, but the PP seems to be where it's at.
    4) RP-ing an old philosopher guy from Bree-land seems fun, but the total introvertness of his character seems to be a barrier blocking me from actually communicating with people. Tips, anyone?
    5) Is it common for people to go into the Pony and immediately know everyone that's there, but completely ignore the newbie RP-er in the area? Happens to me a lot.
    6) Why are there so many elves in the Prancing Pony? Did I already ask that?
    7) How exactly do I start roleplaying, rather than just dabbling in it like I do now? Just 'jump right in' or whatever, or will most people act hostile?
    Aaand that's it for now. All that I can think of at the moment...

I'm on Laurelin, but the idea is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomanar View Post
    Is it common for every other person to have that 'I'm a mysterious guy who likes dark things' background?
    Yes. Someone really should start a "Prancing Pony RP Bingo" game.

Why are there so many elves in the Prancing Pony?
    We still don't really know. Let us know if you figure this one out.

Is there anywhere else to RP other than the Prancing Pony?
    No. It's a lost cause.

RP-ing an old philosopher guy from Bree-land seems fun, but the total introvertness of his character seems to be a barrier blocking me from actually communicating with people. Tips, anyone?
    You can still be role-playing without actually dialoguing with people. ./e Herpdwina finds a quiet corner sits on a creaky stool, fishing around in her satchel for a book which she cracks upon in a small cloud of dust and begins reading. She suddenly jumps as someone across the room laughs loudly.

Is it common for people to go into the Pony and immediately know everyone that's there, but completely ignore the newbie RP-er in the area? Happens to me a lot.
    Yes. The PP social scene is uncannily like highschool. You'll get an idea of who the popular kids are after a while.
    Why are there so many elves in the Prancing Pony? Did I already ask that?
    It warrants a second asking.

How exactly do I start roleplaying, rather than just dabbling in it like I do now?
    In all seriousness, the best way is to join a dedicated kinship. That's how I went from being a loner to getting to know some people and developing a story, etc. It's really the best way.

Hope this helps.
    Dopeler Effect: n. The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

The reason there are so many Elves in the Prancing Pony?

Simple.

The same reason there are so many folks from Gondor, Dale, Rohan, and other areas in the Prancing Pony.

We're RPing in Turbine's version of Middle-earth. Which means there's much more interaction between the various races and cultures than there is in the actual LotR novels.
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” Faramir

Quote Originally Posted by druidofbreeland View Post

Simple.

The same reason there are so many folks from Gondor, Dale, Rohan, and other areas in the Prancing Pony.

We're RPing in Turbine's version of Middle-earth. Which means there's much more interaction between the various races and cultures than there is in the actual LotR novels.
    I suppose that I can justify those by just saying that they travel and like taverns. Same with dwarves. Hobbits are (somewhat) similar, as long as they have an excuse for leaving the Shire (ooh, I should RP a Bree-land hobbit...). Elves, on the other hand, I don't see them really going to taverns or inns and just 'hanging out'. Especially those elves that have become 'one with nature'.

And thanks for the answers!

To answer your questions (which not as much bitterness as some of the earlier replies):

1) Is it common for every other person to have that 'I'm a mysterious guy who likes dark things' background? Noticed that on my hobbit (who is the complete opposite, really).
    * Kind of, especially for a Hobbit who is in a new and foreign land. But that doesn't mean that they aren't friendly. Strider (Aragorn), for example, was known as being pretty dark and mysterious by the people of Bree, but look what he turned out to be for the people that got to know him.

* Simple. The Prancing Pony is the most recognizable tavern in the game. It is a large, interior area, located inside a centralized, low-level hub for all races. It's a tavern. It's an inn. It has plenty of room out back of the main lobby. Put frankly, it's just the easiest and most well known place for RPers to gather, and there is plenty of wiggle room for players to find a good, lore-appropriate reason for their characters to be there.

3) Is there anywhere else to RP other than the Prancing Pony? I mean, once I RP-ed briefly with a guy in the Comb and Wattle, but the PP seems to be where it's at.
    * Yes. Turbine has spent nearly a decade to develop a huge, beautiful world for it's players to explore and RP in. Nothing is forcing you to RP in Bree, and nothing is preventing you from venturing outside its walls. But again, since so few people /do/ venture beyond Bree, most of the RP is centralized around that area. If you want to go out and adventure, I would advise joining an RP kinship that specializes in that sort of thing. Can't speak for Laurelin, but I can think of four heavy RP kinships off the top of my head that currently are running RP plotlines outside of Bree.

4) RP-ing an old philosopher guy from Bree-land seems fun, but the total introvertness of his character seems to be a barrier blocking me from actually communicating with people. Tips, anyone?
    * Tips? Yes. Sometimes you need to adjust your character beyond its level of comfort in order to engage people. I used to know a woman who would spend every day RPing by herself in the corner, posting about how bad her character smelled, how she would spit and grumble at any passerby, and all in all being a complete wretch. Then she would complain because nobody approached her ICly.

The point I'm trying to make: Feel more than welcome to RP an introverted character. But just like in real life, that introvert still needs to make an effort to engage others if they want some social interaction.

5) Is it common for people to go into the Pony and immediately know everyone that's there, but completely ignore the newbie RP-er in the area? Happens to me a lot.
    * Yes, this is very common. It has nothing to do with a "high-school mentality". If I walk into a bar in my home town, of course I am going to immediately go talk to my friends, instead of the idle strangers hanging out in the background. That doesn't mean that my friends and I are unwilling to engage said strangers in conversation. Again, the solution lies in your own hands. You have to take a little initiative on your own part to meet new people, because friends are always going to hang out and RP with each other before they go greeting unfamiliar faces. That is just the way the world works, both IC and OOC.

* Yes, already answered for you, but it's worth repeating again. The Prancing Pony is the central hub for RP in the game. It might not be very lore appropriate, but most are willing to let that slide because they realize that LOTRO is still a game, and it's not exactly viable for someone to roll a new Rohirrim and immediately start in Edoras, or create a new elf from Lothlorien and immediately have access to the Golden Woods.

7) How exactly do I start roleplaying, rather than just dabbling in it like I do now? Just 'jump right in' or whatever, or will most people act hostile?
    * I highly doubt anyone is going to be hostile towards you if you jump into some RP. Just remember the golden rules of society - be mature, courteous, and polite. Be respectful and others will respect you. Also, joining an RP kinship with like-minded individuals doesn't hurt either.
    [b][color=forestgreen]~Landroval~[/color][/b]
    [b][size=1][color=green]Raigar - 100 Captain[/color] | [color=green]Raigorn - 100 Hunter[/color][/b]
    [i][color=green]Captains of the West - Leader[/color][/i]
    [color=red]Founder[/color] | [color=red]Lifetime Member[/color] | [color=red]Raider[/color] | [color=red]Roleplayer[/color][/size]

Simple.

Umm... no. It's because a lot of people RP Elves as just people with pointy ears.

Turbine's version of Middle-earth doesn't fill the Pony with pointy-eared people. Bad RPers do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    Umm... no. It's because a lot of people RP Elves as just people with pointy ears.

Turbine's version of Middle-earth doesn't fill the Pony with pointy-eared people. Bad RPers do that.
    No. It's because if an Elf wants to RP in a public place, the Pony is just about their only option.
    [center][img]http://s21.postimg.org/fkjfdnggn/Ethelond_Sig.jpg[/img][/center]

Quote Originally Posted by ChampionSword View Post
    No. It's because if an Elf wants to RP in a public place, the Pony is just about their only option.
    A contradiction in terms... if you're hanging out with all those mortals down the Pony, surrounded by the smell of unwashed bodies, stale beer and last night's cabbage (and with pipe-smoke so thick you could cut it with a knife), not to mention some rather unsavoury company (all these dark, mysterious, hooded types in shadowy corners, trying to look cool) then you'd have to be RPing a very funny sort of Elf.

If more people actually RPed as Elves rather than pointy-eared Pony people then there'd be rather more Elves to RP with someplace else.

A contradiction in terms... if you're hanging out with all those mortals down the Pony, surrounded by the smell of unwashed bodies, stale beer and last night's cabbage (and with pipe-smoke so thick you could cut it with a knife), not to mention some rather unsavoury company (all these dark, mysterious, hooded types in shadowy corners, trying to look cool) then you'd have to be RPing a very funny sort of Elf.

If more people actually RPed as Elves rather than pointy-eared Pony people then there'd be rather more Elves to RP with someplace else.
    I totally agree with this. Most people don't know/care what's appropriate to role-play where. Where we find elves in the Pony on a regular basis, we also (at least on Laurelin) have men/hobbits/dwarves showing up at elf-only events and vice versa, which I find bothersome. Do people not want to roll a new character and just use their main character for everything instead? Dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Krindus_EU View Post
    not as much bitterness as some of the earlier replies
    Bitterness? I don't think so.
    Dopeler Effect: n. The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Smile It's all about finding your niche

Simple.

Amen.
    If only more people would understand this, simple, yet very important fact.
    Well done.

Now, in relation to the OP:
    Meeting others in RP is in essence a lot like meeting people in real life. In fact therein lies the crux of RP; the similarities between RL interaction and in-game RP interaction. Just as it takes time in real life to form lasting friendships with people and to get to truly know them, so it does also in-game.
    Additionally, there are many many different types of RP. The prancing pony it just one place that caters to one type. Don't be disheartened if this RP niche style does not suit you, there are other types. Come look for us, we're out there . It just might take a little time to find your fit. The unfortunate reality is that as the game continues to age more and more little groups are comfortable in their on skin, and tend to trend towards being more insular and closed off to outsiders. But keep at it, persistence will pay off.
    Last edited by Ruthelia; Feb 19 2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Grammar...
    [center][I]"No, you are right. There is strength in these hobbits yet,
    and if they need to repel dangers from outside, they will do so."[/I]
    -Ranger Halros[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthelia View Post
    Amen.
    If only more people would understand this, simple, yet very important fact.
    That is not a fact.

We are in Turbine's version of Middle-earth. We do have more interaction between the races, but that in itself doesn't mean a Pony full of Elves. (Feel free to go and count how many NPC Elves there are in there, if you like).

RPing Elves like they're the generic FRP variety, now that's what fills the place with pointy ears.

Now, in relation to the OP:
    Meeting others in RP is in essence a lot like meeting people in real life. In fact therein lies the crux of RP; the similarities between RL interaction and in-game RP interaction. Just as it takes time in real life to form lasting friendships with people and to get to truly know them, so it does also in-game.
    Additionally, there are many many different types of RP. The prancing pony it just one place that caters to one type. Don't be disheartened if this RP niche style does not suit you, there are other types. Come look for us, we're out there . It just might take a little time to find your fit. The unfortunate reality is that as the game continues to age more and more little groups are comfortable in their on skin, and tend to trend towards being more insular and closed off to outsiders. But keep at it, persistence will pay off.
    Might as well just say it: tavern RP is pretty much the lowest common denominator. It's the niche for anyone who can't think of anything better.

I might be getting mixed up with Laurelin since I play on both there and Landy, but I'm pretty sure you can find some RP in Rivendell for Elves and the Green Dragon for Hobbits some days. It's definitely not as active as the PP, so I wouldn't say it's a RP hotspot or anything, but it's there. Sometimes.

Truthfully, I've found that in order to make the above possible, you have to take things into your own hands. I feel like we all have this set perception that Bree is the main RP area; if you're a roleplayer, you go there - and we end up forgetting that the entire world is our stage. Turn your rushed travels from town to town into a story (not necessarily Total Immersion-esque, but you can take it that far if it's to your preference.) Figure out a reason for your character wanting to visit X location (maybe your Bree-lander philosopher wants to hit up the Scholar's Enclave in Duillond, for example!), and think about all the things that could happen in between. Maybe at one point, when you accidentally attract the attention of a stalking wolf, your horse runs off in fright during the attack. Now you're stuck walking everywhere, possibly wounded, and definitely in need of help. See someone running by? Shout out for aid. Send them an IM beforehand if you'd like. If they ignore you or decline, it ain't the end of the world. Just keep going.

Even if you're standing around at some random location - a market, the Scholar's Stair, for example - or an unpopular inn, give a nod or hello to passers-by, or a look of acknowledgement if your character's not the type to greet a stranger so freely.

It's tough and annoying sometimes, since this method is functioning more like "how will my character interact/react to/with people in this setting/situation, etc." as opposed to "where should I go to get the most RP", nawmsayin?

But, yeah. Bottom line: if you want to find RP elsewhere, sometimes you gotta bring the RP rather than wait for it. 'Specially if you ain't in a RP kin or anything.
    [ such is the nature of evil; in time, all foul things come forth. ]
    velsirien | landroval

That is not a fact.

We are in Turbine's version of Middle-earth. We do have more interaction between the races, but that in itself doesn't mean a Pony full of Elves. (Feel free to go and count how many NPC Elves there are in there, if you like).

RPing Elves like they're the generic FRP variety, now that's what fills the place with pointy ears.

Might as well just say it: tavern RP is pretty much the lowest common denominator. It's the niche for anyone who can't think of anything better.
    Wow- I couldnt' have said it better. For better or worse (and I think it's weighted to the worse end of things in terms of RP immersion), the elves are stuck going to Bree. First of all, I understand why they push elves and dwarves to Bree but on the other hand it wouldn't have taken any more work, just better planning, to make it both more ME lore friendly in that regard and also get people opportunities and reasons to cooperate in both the 'game' part (levelling, quests, crafting) and the RP side. I only play games where social interaction is at a premium. Solo games totally leave me cold, so I understand why they wanted people to mix it up (as in WoW, &c)

Firstly, the elf starter quests are all in the Ered Luin region (a generic Grey Havens sort of complex of communities represented by Duilond and Celondim [and why didnt they just have one city, Mithlond, and be done with it? I dunno...?]) but at a certain point you get pushed into the Bree area -specifically the Prancing Pony. Whatever beef anyone has with Peter Jackson's films (or Ralph Bakshi's for that matter) they both represented the Pony as most LotR readers imagined it- lit only by lamps and a fireplace, grimey despite the staff's best efforts, full of local revellers but no shortage of sketchy types as well...very probably dwarves would not be uncommon, but elves would never openly set foot in the place-after all, they've got much better taste.

Secondly, for some reason (I've seen the lack of an auction house cited as a contributing factor), elven players insist on focusing their RP on Rivendell - which shuts out new players completely- just try to get a level 7 LM to Rivendell...

So I try to RP 'elf in disguise', but as Radhruin would accurately point out, that's a compromise that we shouldn't have to make as a default position.
    Last edited by Aamu; Feb 20 2014 at 02:48 PM. Reason: grammar

That is not a fact.

Whatever your thoughts on the matter, they don't change the facts. And I think you'll find druidofbreeland was talking about PCs not NPCs.
    And no, that in itself doesn't mean a 'Pony full of Elves', but it's a consequence of that, and of players want to be social and wanting to play the elven race. Krindus had the right of it in their post.
    Last edited by Ruthelia; Feb 21 2014 at 08:34 AM.
    [center][I]"No, you are right. There is strength in these hobbits yet,
    and if they need to repel dangers from outside, they will do so."[/I]
    -Ranger Halros[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthelia View Post
    Whatever your thoughts on the matter, they don't change the facts. And I think you'll find druidofbreeland was talking about PCs not NPCs.
    And no, that in itself doesn't mean a 'Pony full of Elves', but it's a consequence of that, and of players want to be social and wanting to play the elven race. Krindus had the right of it in their post.
    The Pony being full of Elves is down to one thing and one thing only: player behaviour. The game itself doesn't make any suggestion that the Pony is a place to find Elves galore. Of course druidofbreeland was talking about player-characters, but the point I was making was how the game actually portrays the Pony, not what players make of it themselves. (Which is often OOC for Elves, and that's the truth of it).

That is common, because to the players, many of whom are very young (under 30 years of age), it's "cool". If you look hard enough, you find people who aren't Lord Darkity Dark of Shadows.

You find most of the non-lore elves in the Pony, because it's Landroval's only true RP hub. There have been several attempts at making an elf hub in Rivendell, and even trying for some hubs in Trestlebridge, Ost Guruth and Stangard, but players lose patience and just spring back to the Pony.

The is RP all over the place on Landroval. Random RP (where it's not scheduled or known ahead of time via an event) is extremely rare to get on the landscape, although it's quite rewarding. I've had other RPers run across my RP in Tinnudir, Nen Harn, Mirkwood, Moria, etc. The Prancing Pony, though, is the one place that you're guaranteed to find it at most hours of the day or night.

You need what I call an "RP Hook". Just something that would either attract other players to you and give their character the IC reason to engage you or vice versa. One example I can give is one of my characters wears and ugly red and white striped shirt. Other characters come over and say "Boy that shirt is bright. Why do you wear it?" Perhaps your old philosopher guy could talk to himself? You could alter what he's talking to himself about (while reading something, perhaps) by who else is in the area at the time. Like, if there's a Hobbit around, be reading and then say "... hmm.. was it third breakfast next? Or tea? Or lunch?"

Nope, that's only common with the most played characters. I've been on Landroval since the launch time and any time I make a new character, it has to be eased into RP, as well. Took something like 3 months for the last one I made to get known. Just have patience and keep at it, and watch for the ring of RP opportunity to strike.

See #2

Aaand that's it for now. All that I can think of at the moment.

Don't jump right in unless it's something that you'd jump right into IRL. Like, if you have a Rohirric character and there's a table of Eored all speaking Rohirric, it's fine to walk up and say "Westu hal! I can't believe it, so many of my countrymen here!" or something of the sort. RP Hooks can be rough to get the hang of, at first. Above all, be patient. Also, it's fully fine to send an OOC /tell to someone you'd like to RP with but can't figure out how to do so and see if they'd like to help and what it would take for the 2 characters to notice each other and speak.
    Favorite Dev Quote from 2009: Graal: The lack of an instant threat catch up skill is one of the differences in tanking between Wardens and Guardians, just like Wardens dont have a easily used forced taunt. It is unlikely, but not impossible that this will change. Bottom line...Dont die.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamu View Post
    Secondly, for some reason (I've seen the lack of an auction house cited as a contributing factor), elven players insist on focusing their RP on Rivendell - which shuts out new players completely- just try to get a level 7 LM to Rivendell...
    Hunter port. Worked for a level 8 or 9 I got there the other day, so if you have a hunter friend, I recommend. Granted, once they're there, unless you get two milestones, best to keep them there. Rivendell also has more significance in lore to many than some Turbine creation. I do agree and wish we had Mithlond, I'd move my elf (who is perma stuck in Rivendell) to the Grey Havens immediately. So long as it was as interesting as Rivendell, Duillond and Celondim are very... unpolished IMO.

Or those who enjoy random, unplanned RP and RPing with new players. It gets old without any variation, aye, but painting such a broad brush is rather narrow minded and a great way to discourage folks from even trying.

Have you RPed in this game? I see you criticising all the time, but never talking about any sort of RP experiences yourself. Or say anything positive, really. I appreciate your intellect for Tolkien-related discussions, but there's little joy or positivity to be found. Of course, I may just catch you in all the wrong threads.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

[QUOTE=Laire;7110434]Hunter port. Worked for a level 8 or 9 I got there the other day, so if you have a hunter friend, I recommend. Granted, once they're there, unless you get two milestones, best to keep them there. Rivendell also has more significance in lore to many than some Turbine creation. I do agree and wish we had Mithlond, I'd move my elf (who is perma stuck in Rivendell) to the Grey Havens immediately. So long as it was as interesting as Rivendell, Duillond and Celondim are very... unpolished IMO.

"Unpolished" works. Actually, aesthetically, they're both pleasant places to be in for RP or just to explore around. The thing I was struck by as a new player (just started almost a year ago now) was how odd it was there were two elven towns with seemingly competing facilities when one Bree/Thorin's Halls type urban setting (called Mithlond) would have served both the lore and the players' needs as well. And probably made the job of putting it all together easier in the first place.

As to Rivendell, when I first started, I had no idea how I'd get there. And I was a hunter! Yes, now I've got the basics all down and I'm worried about how to get to Lorien.

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    Or those who enjoy random, unplanned RP and RPing with new players. It gets old without any variation, aye, but painting such a broad brush is rather narrow minded and a great way to discourage folks from even trying.
    The point wasn't not to set foot in the Pony, but not to stay in there forever like it's Cheers with hobbits. And most especially not if you're playing an Elf. But when some people will insist on focusing on the place so much, who's got the narrow mind then?

Have you RPed in this game? I see you criticising all the time, but never talking about any sort of RP experiences yourself. Or say anything positive, really. I appreciate your intellect for Tolkien-related discussions, but there's little joy or positivity to be found. Of course, I may just catch you in all the wrong threads.
    Err, yes? But I've grown to loathe tavern RP.

Agreed. Elves are immortal and have an alien mindset and outlook beyond their similarities to mortals like Men. It was rare for a Man and an Elf to find common enough ground to form a lasting friendship, or even speak to each other in a casual environment nevermind a formal one. To imagine droves of elves swamping mortal settlements in search of a conversation with local yobs who've never ventured beyond their own hedgerow is ridiculous. They wouldn't WANT to converse with mortals who had such a limited view on life. Would you want to hang out with 5-year olds all day? In an environment that encourages shallow conversation from the start? I think not.
    And neither would Tolkien's Elves.

That is not a fact.

Agreed. I've roleplayed in Second Life in RP sims where many players engage in what I call "Nightclub RP". They cluster in bars and nightclubs and stripclubs and RP...well, what you'd expect people in bars and nightclubs to say and do. They ignore the great open world around them, ignore the genre they're supposed to be immersed in even. They never or hardly ever choose interesting locations in the sim to roleplay in, as that would require them to RP non-bar/nightclub/stripclub material.

For people who can't think of anything better indeed.

I always cringe at some of the RP in the Prancing Pony. It's a little less Dungeons and Dragonsey on Laurelin, but still. Ultimately, if you're an elf and you want to socialize, you seem to be stuck with the Pony. Unless you're a seasoned player with an established network of friends who can form Elven-based groups that tend to gravitate toward Imladris or the Havens towns or even someplace like Meluinen (the little swamp outpost of elfness in north downs).

If I bring one of my crowd of elves into the Pony, I try to be there for a good reason and in disguise if possible.

There's a telling quote from one of the elf women Frodo meets where she says something about 'Why would we talk to Hobbits? They're so dull!"

That was her opinion. Many of the other elves obviously felt differently, but in the main, the elves wouldn't generally be swarming over Bree, I'm sure. But for many players looking for company, it's all they've got until they figure something else out.
    Last edited by Aamu; Feb 28 2014 at 11:59 AM.

Dedhhhhhgggfff

That does seem to be the popular angle, even though it's a little annoying for happy types, and too many of them in one place kills a roleplay dead due to lack of communication- But I think it's their way of giving their characters some depth? I dunno. lol! But hey, it's Bree, shifty characters around every corner, what'cha gonna do?

Because they just wanna roleplay like everyone else and there is no place as popular as The PP for roleplaying- No place that's as easy for low-level Elves to get to, that is. It's unfair to the Elves to be discluded simply because there is no other place to go.

Not that I know of, which is why there are so many Elves in Bree.

Heheh, still mastering that communication problem myself.

The folks who all know one another are the frequent roleplayers or folks of the same kinship. It's not likely a newbie will get noticed unless they draw attention to themselves somehow. Just standing around and still getting noticed mostly happens when it's particularly quiet.

Because there is no where else for them to go and still get to roleplay. If someone would make an Elvish community as popular as Bree somewhere in Ered Luin, then let everyone know about it, Bree might see less and less of the superior race. ;P

Some places are okay to just 'jump in' or even accidently 'bump in' to some one. lol! However, during one-on-one roleplays, or further-along roleplays where things are getting serious, then it's a little annoying to interrupt them... And big-blow outs where someone fights or faints in the middle of the Pony are free game, everyone can notice and be apart of that.
    Last edited by Aivah; Mar 29 2014 at 02:31 AM.
    Theif in the Night:: An easily lost pick-pocket, a reckless risk-taker.
    a talented trickster, treasure hunter & jewelry maker.

One thing I can point out to you that may make your experience of RP make a bit more sense, is that RP is essentially writing and, to a lesser extent, acting. When you're wandering about in Middle Earth, the RPers you run into are basically writing stories that they and each other participate in as actors. So you're going to run into a lot of really bad, bad writers, a few decent-ish ones, and the extremely rare amazing one. When you go into it with that understanding everything else just gets that much easier to handle.

Yes, it's really common. Not particularly original, but common. Again, most people aren't going to be amazingly original wordcrafters. You're going to run into a ton of archetypes and cliches and rehashing of popular characters/tales.

Yeah, there are a lot. I would stay away from the back rooms there if I were you and just look for other places to RP.

The pony is the hub of RP on Landroval, but it's not the best place to get started with RP in my opinion. You're better off just going about your business and then RPing with white names you run into along the way. You can also go to RP events that happen from time to time (often advertised here on the forums). Just gradually work your way into it. You don't have to jump in with both feet. In some ways it's a lot better to ease into it.

Not all philosophers are introverts. Most can't shut up, actually. Hehe. My advice: write him first, then play him. What kind of person is he? How does he deal with social situations? It's up to you to write him in such a way as to make room for social interaction. He can be nosy, he can be meddlesome, he can be friendly, he can be helpful, he can be sanctimonious, he can be preachy, he can be anything you want.

Also, not all social situations need to be the standard walk up to someone and say "Hi, I am x, nice to meet you!" Find more creative ways to interact with people. For example, you can randomly go up to someone and ask for directions, you can run toward them, panting breathlessly, and plead for their help with something, or you can stare at them, trip over them as you walk by, sneeze in their general direction, whatever fits with your intentions. In other words, create interesting everyday ways to interact with people, and create opportunities for people to react to what you are doing. TIP: Don't ever impose actions on others. Speak for yourself, speak of your own actions, and let them respond accordingly, or not as their wish may be.

Yes, it's very cliquey sometimes, and also, there are a lot of unspoken rules and conventions you may not be familiar with.

You can ease into it, or dive in. Whatever feels comfortable for you. Here is a good resource for getting the basic etiquette of RP. Another good one for basic how-to type stuff.

Also, I'm on Landroval - I organized a "Intro to RP" class for some of my old kin-mates. If you like I can walk you through that at some point, just to get you started. Anyone else is welcome if you're interested. Just hit up my main, Rhovanael, in-game, or send me a PM here on the forums and we can get something lined up.