We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Reaver/Impale... Reloaded

So has anyone found an effective way to counter a Reaver that does not limit himself, especially when that Impale crits? Would love to hear some ideas. Also, how are my fellow (Berserker) Champions dealing with wargs?

Going against a reaver, you should just prepare yourself for an impale/dev strike combo, it's going to happen, simple as that, all you can really do is get a pot ready for it to soak up some of the damage.

As for wargs, myself and a kinny run yellow line champs and pretty much just AoE them all to death, on windy the warg population has exploded to the point where they have a few packs around so AoE is a viable method for dealing with them all at once. Solo however in a 1v1 or 2v1 situation, blue line makes you pretty hard to kill, hell even just going yellow still will make you a force to be reckoned with.
    Brandywine: Competence-1 r13 Guardian, Obverse r8 Rune-Keeper, Bregendil r5 Champion

Against really good reavers that use everything its a tough go, I keep champions duel up as much as possible. When the impale hits I hope to be high enough health that they can't follow with a dev strike, normally I will start fight on running around 15 secs into the fight and then ill sprint when the big impale comes and kite myself back morale. Some people don't like to use fight on in a spar so the 3 suit jewelry suit bonus is a nice heal to if its running do a bit of kiting to get yourself back up and use your melee range to limit the amount of hits the reaver can land.

I personally don't think a yellow traited champ is any competition to a good warg these days, the warg has better damage then you and more morale. In red line I find the fights a lot better with the versatility that line brings to the field.

I quit running Red in the moors.... It is either AOE - Yellow for damage and horn stun, or blue line for lesser DPS but more survival skills.
    In Blue 1v1 it is hard for a warg to take me down. Period.

I soloed several higher levels last night, and with the use of their impale = dead. I had little counters. Yes the fight lasts longer when I run blue, but it still ended the same way....

I dont have the answer to impale.

So basically, Reavers are just OP. Well that's nothing new. I had just hoped someone had found a way to do something about it. Personally, I find them DPS'ing through my Fight On. I have 20,5k morale. Strange, isn't it.

No matter what we do, if they get crits/devs on impales and dev strike, we lose.

But to reiterate and expand on some things that help:
    -Try to grind for the bb and sunbrand heal proc, those allow you to soak up all the damage that isn't from impale along with fight on, morale pot, bracing attack(especially with the resilient armor cleanse), and dire need.
    -Try to also get more morale. The highest dev i've seen from a reaver is 13k which means we'd need 26k to stay above 50% with a perfect impale, but that's only going to happen 10% of the time. The rest of the time a bleed will be resisted, or the reaver will miss on an aoe bleed, or impale won't crit so you really only need 20-22k morale to stay above 50% morale after an impale which is manageable.
    -Allow fight on to work to it's max potential by moving in and out of range as much as possible. The longer the fight goes, the stronger fight on becomes. You will also get another round of heals from proc jewelry if you make it to about the 50 second mark. If you do attempt to move out of range be aware of blade toss's cd, don't let them hit you with it from behind for the extra positional damage.
    -time horn of champions with impale. 20% less damage!

and most important of all:
    -Pray that Gandalf applies a blessing upon berserker champs with the coming update.

Kiting, its always been a Reavers bane. It's dirty but so is Impale. You might get raged at for doing it but hey, f Reavers.

Quote Originally Posted by Shintagh View Post
    Kiting, its always been a Reavers bane. It's dirty but so is Impale. You might get raged at for doing it but hey, f Reavers.
    Yeah, but... Kiting is a bit lame indeed D: Oh well, I guess it's the only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    Yeah, but... Kiting is a bit lame indeed D: Oh well, I guess it's the only solution.
    I think you're stuck on RoR champion with full heal and 2 bubbles. champion is THE worst off freeps-side, and reaver is THE best off creep side. use what you got, there's absolutely no reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfigglesworth View Post
    I think you're stuck on RoR champion with full heal and 2 bubbles. champion is THE worst off freeps-side, and reaver is THE best off creep side. use what you got, there's absolutely no reason not to.
    Fact is that I never used CD's in RoR, despite my gear. I'm up for a challenge. I'm just finding the Reaver a tough shell to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Giliodor View Post
    Fact is that I never used CD's in RoR, despite my gear. I'm up for a challenge. I'm just finding the Reaver a tough shell to break.
    listen, if you say "i'm up for a challenge" then fight the reaver. It's challenging enough using everything. I don't know how else to say this, but it's stupid to limit yourself vs a reaver at this time if they're going all out.
    Last edited by mrfigglesworth; Feb 12 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfigglesworth View Post
    listen, if you say "i'm up for a challenge" then fight the reaver. It's challenging enough using everything. I don't know how else to say this, but it's stupid to limit yourself vs a reaver at this time if they're going all out.
    Shall second this, I've beaten every cooldown now besides wrath. It's probably a timing thing for kiting but I can't seem to deal with it at all if they decide to chain it.

Though I don't feel the loss in morale/crit for the sunbrand ring to be worth it, the 3 set heal certainly makes all the difference in these fights.

Reaver dps without Impale is??? yes, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazkanaggi View Post
    Agreed, but speaking from a high ranked reaver's perspective here, impale DOES need to be nerfed.

Bring down impale's raw bleed damage, bring up the base damage of our other skills, maybe even make bleeds orc craft damage and finish what you started, devs?

As it is, crit multipliers just make impale way too strong. Because it's raw damage, the crit multiplier punches through crit defence. There's no defense against it, except for bpe/miss chance. It's tough to lose in a no holds barred 1v1 even if the reaver doesn't use ATO, wrath, etc. It's just plain impossible to lose to anything but a skilled warden if you use wrath.

And guess what usually is the reason when you DO lose in a 1v1? Impale missed or was bpe'd.

It's upsetting for a class to depend so much on just one skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazkanaggi View Post
    And where exactly do you see me crying for a nerf?

Quote Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
    Agreed, but speaking from a high ranked reaver's perspective here, impale DOES need to be nerfed.

Bring down impale's raw bleed damage, bring up the base damage of our other skills, maybe even make bleeds orc craft damage and finish what you started, devs?

As it is, crit multipliers just make impale way too strong. Because it's raw damage, the crit multiplier punches through crit defence. There's no defense against it, except for bpe/miss chance. It's tough to lose in a no holds barred 1v1 even if the reaver doesn't use ATO, wrath, etc. It's just plain impossible to lose to anything but a skilled warden if you use wrath.

And guess what usually is the reason when you DO lose in a 1v1? Impale missed or was bpe'd.

It's upsetting for a class to depend so much on just one skill.
    Impale is sadly required in this state for group fighting, especially larger fights with multiple healers, which is where they actually balance the game. I'd love to see all aspects of it subject to mitigation, audacity and crit defense, but without doing something about the HPS of freep healers this would be a disaster. There are a lot of things that are just "wrong" that are sadly "ok" in the current group environment (1 minute cooldown in combat AOE res, I'm looking at you). The whole thing is duct tape and paper clips... but oddly still fun. Believe me, if the stat updates creeps get (if we get them) are effective there is a LONG list of stuff that is going to need to be changed (Spiders, which are pretty low in the pecking order even have some stuff that i expect will eventually need to get toned down). I also honestly expect that minstrels may require nerfs for PVE-sake, as their output far surpasses what any content requires...

Basic gist of this thread:

Back in RoR I had to hold myself back when fighting reavers to ensure a fairer fight. Now the reaver has to hold themselves back a bit. Back in RoR this was ok. But in HD this is unfair, because it's the other guy who gets to dictate whether my fight is balanced or not.

Champs are supposed to be getting a boost in the damage department of some sorts in U13, and I certainly hope they do. They were over the top mid-beta, but the draw back on some of their abilities went too far.
    [img]http://imageshack.us/a/img41/4553/73i4.jpg[/img]

Even my Signature is trolling!

Quote Originally Posted by Sezneg View Post
    Impale is sadly required in this state for group fighting, especially larger fights with multiple healers, which is where they actually balance the game. I'd love to see all aspects of it subject to mitigation, audacity and crit defense, but without doing something about the HPS of freep healers this would be a disaster.
    I agree, but hold on. Step back for a moment. Freep healing is over the top, thus creeps' dps needs to be over the top? The reasoning makes sense, but we need to look at and fix the base cause. There are a LOT of things that need a revamp, and I agree that if it was done one at a time, we'd have EXTREMELY imbalanced PvP, but if it were fixed in one update...

Nerf impale, reduce creep crit multiplier across the board, reduce freep healing in moors (by any means, I mean, just straight nerfing the skills would be fine, it would kill two birds with one stone. Far too much healing in PvE AND PvP), fix defiler healing, etc. etc. By no means am I trying to say it's a "slap a band-aid on this one skill and it's all done!" fix.

The list goes on, but if the devs know what's good for this game, they will do it in one shot. Otherwise, yes, it'd be even more of a disaster than it is right now.

Yeah, I'm just preaching to the choir here. And, frustrating as it is, Turbine will keep on doing what they have been doing, not listening.

I agree, but hold on. Step back for a moment. Freep healing is over the top, thus creeps' dps needs to be over the top? The reasoning makes sense, but we need to look at and fix the base cause. There are a LOT of things that need a revamp, and I agree that if it was done one at a time, we'd have EXTREMELY imbalanced PvP, but if it were fixed in one update...

Nerf impale, reduce creep crit multiplier across the board, reduce freep healing in moors (by any means, I mean, just straight nerfing the skills would be fine, it would kill two birds with one stone. Far too much healing in PvE AND PvP), fix defiler healing, etc. etc. By no means am I trying to say it's a "slap a band-aid on this one skill and it's all done!" fix.

The list goes on, but if the devs know what's good for this game, they will do it in one shot. Otherwise, yes, it'd be even more of a disaster than it is right now.

Yeah, I'm just preaching to the choir here. And, frustrating as it is, Turbine will keep on doing what they have been doing, not listening.
    Question: Do you somehow think creep crit magnitude is out of line with the game design? Never seen another freep bring this up. Obviously, impale is ignoring your crit protection. If it no longer did, would creep magnitude "across the board" still be a problem?

Figgles is one of the best champs on vilya at the moment -making full use of Yellow line :P-

Hes right though, if i go full out it doesn't always look good for him, i love a good fun close fight, and he knows i limit myself at times so as to not go for the straight up high full on damage, -10k impale, 3k blade toss and 2k devs- its hard to fight a good champ on reaver though, specially when they are DAM good at AoE kiting like figgs is, you gotta be on your toes...

Personally this is what id like to see:

Wrath/SS to pre-HD
    ATO pre-HD
    dev strike with a LITTLE bit higher damage -maybe less of a hard crit?-
    blade toss remaining with damage wise but cd returned to 40s

Heres something you might find interesting...take away the hamstring trait to make it -40% movement speed, hamstring from champs has damage, my theory is this....

EITHER: make an impale trait, and make it so that Impale at its base is only affected by 2 bleeds when you hit rank 9 -as it stands non p2w at r9 you only have 2- and when you hit rank 10 or maybe even 11, you earn a trait which takes impale up to all 4 bleeds...

OR

Disarm as a trait being given damage and the slow down from 40% to say, 30? Blade toss is already 40% with the trait...and we get that much sooner...

my theory for that is based on hunter vs reaver slows to be perfectly honest, low cut/quick shot/barbed arrow/bards arrow all function as a slow of some sort -the fear slows you remember- but all have damage. in my head it makes sense that reavers have both slows having damage makes up for using hamstring more... just my opinion

TBH i would actually like to see impale reduced to 2 bleeds, maybe with the trait 3, with orc craft as it is 4 bleed impale is one hell of a joke, and im a rank 11 reaver who can hit dam hard with it if lucks on my side, however i am quite confident that orc craft/fell wrought was a rubber barricade for creeps to still be 'somewhat viable' whilst they go through the major freep revamp...but im not to sure as to how the mechanics of it works just my opinion...

Anyways, a red champ on my server hits DN as soon as my impale lands and + fight on...i just use the heal pot of course...i wont use ATO i dont want to do the reset thing... Figgs and i have double kbed when we both went full out though, but im not that great a reaver so :P -yes i know, ITS HARD NOT TO BE! -

Be careful what you wish for , Reavers....
    Ridduk R14 WL
    Brandywine

like im wishing for champs duel to be removable?

Quote Originally Posted by Sezneg View Post
    Question: Do you somehow think creep crit magnitude is out of line with the game design? Never seen another freep bring this up. Obviously, impale is ignoring your crit protection. If it no longer did, would creep magnitude "across the board" still be a problem?
    Mhm, I misspoke. I meant to include freep crit magnitude too. I think crit magnitude as it is right now can be silly, for both sides. Wargs critting for 3.5k with claws on full audacity peeps with hefty crit defense is common, and that's literally ~18% of a well geared, 20k freep. Same thing for freeps. 12k hits are not uncommon from freep dps classes (again, ~18%), taking off chunks of morale in just a few short skills.

That's just the turn of the game, and that's something I strongly dislike right now. Just one lucky crit can literally flip the fight to your side, and both sides just simply crit too much. It's a game of who can get the higher crits, more often than not. Reducing crit multiplier (as well as reducing the means of getting capped crit so easily for both freep and creep) would add a lot more into the equation than just luck. Luck is always a part of MMOs, but right now, it feels more than ever like a dice roll.

Mhm, I misspoke. I meant to include freep crit magnitude too. I think crit magnitude as it is right now can be silly, for both sides. Wargs critting for 3.5k with claws on full audacity peeps with hefty crit defense is common, and that's literally ~18% of a well geared, 20k freep. Same thing for freeps. 12k hits are not uncommon from freep dps classes (again, ~18%), taking off chunks of morale in just a few short skills.

That's just the turn of the game, and that's something I strongly dislike right now. Just one lucky crit can literally flip the fight to your side, and both sides just simply crit too much. It's a game of who can get the higher crits, more often than not. Reducing crit multiplier (as well as reducing the means of getting capped crit so easily for both freep and creep) would add a lot more into the equation than just luck. Luck is always a part of MMOs, but right now, it feels more than ever like a dice roll.
    Basically all true.

I need to just leave the monsterplay forum and stay in the Champion class forum. Much more reasonable folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Intharth View Post
    Anyways, a red champ on my server hits DN as soon as my impale lands and + fight on...i
    I sort of doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Intharth View Post

Wrath/SS to pre-HD
    ATO pre-HD
    dev strike with a LITTLE bit higher damage -maybe less of a hard crit?-
    blade toss remaining with damage wise but cd returned to 40s
    I'd be happy with a simple increase of blade toss and resilience to 30-40 second cds. Right now, a reaver can keep me right where he wants me with these two skills and stack bleeds with ease, which means I have no counter for impale, which further means I have no counter for dev strike, which means i'm a dead champ. I also have to sit there and take all the strikes for wrath heals.

But I'd also like to see impale toned down and other reaver skills beefed up, which would make reavers a much tougher opponent overall.