We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    This guide kinda scares me away from even trying. I was contemplating making a character trying this out in one of the RP servers, but now I'm not so sure. :/

I don't have the ability to a lot of these things, being borderline dyslexic. So having to "speak" in a certain tone based on my background without using words like "it's" or "what's".

I'm prone to typos bad enough in regular chat where I can't fix it, I dunno if I could do this.
    I'm on Landroval, and considered a "heavy RPer", and I want you to know that you can still RP if you want to. I've played with several dyslexics who are fine RPers. Eventually, you'll get the hang of writing in a "Tolkien" style, and I wouldn't even call this guide a "You MUST", but rather some helpful guidelines for it. I'm sure that, even on Laurelin, there's going to be a broad range of RP styles, and you'd find some folks who will RP with you.

Also: Don't use Thee and Thou or any other Shakespearean type speaking. It's actually NOT in-lore and not the way the books are written, unless you happen to be playing an elf who's still around from the early first age.
    Favorite Dev Quote from 2009: [b]Graal:[/b] The lack of an instant threat catch up skill is one of the differences in tanking between Wardens and Guardians, just like Wardens dont have a easily used forced taunt. It is unlikely, but not impossible that this will change. Bottom line...Dont die.

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely think about it some more.

I don't have much to add to what's been said, apart from reiterating that these are guidelines, really, not hard and fast rules. I will admit, though, that these kinds of questions are what go through my head when I'm sketching out a character's backstory. However, I don't do more than sketch any character - age, homeland, class, any noteworthy experiences. That's about it; I let the rest of the story be discovered/invented by my interactions with other people.

And just to add my two mites to the 'thee/thou' discussion: I'll admit that I do use the archaic forms of the second person familiar pronouns from time to time, but only in strictly defined areas. Mainly, when speaking to a close intimate (family, spouse/lover, extremely close friends) or when being deliberating insulting to someone who my character perceives as inferior. Even then, I'll only do so on my Rohirrim, my Dúnedain, and my Elves, as Dwarves, Hobbits, and lesser Men use a more 'worn-down' form of the Westron. Fun linguistic fact that most people get wrong: 'thee/thou/thy/thine' and the like are actually familiar pronouns, not formal. They are used for speaking to bosom friends and companions, along with family. The reason most people think they are formal is due to their primary use in this day and age: references to God in Christian (and, to a lesser extent, Jewish and Muslim) liturgy.

If you look at LotR, the only times you see characters dropping into this manner of diction is when they're either baring their hearts or speaking to someone who they perceive to inferior. E.g. Éowyn's pleading with Aragorn before he leaves Dunharrow (where his continued use of the formal 'you' is almost heart-breakingly cold) and Denethor's insults to Gandalf in his madness ("'Pride and despair!' he cried. 'Didst thou think that the eyes of the White Tower were blind? Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool. For thy hope is but ignorance.'"). There's also one more place where its use touches the heart. After Éowyn and Faramir are betrothed (and Aragorn and Arwen wed), Éowyn and Aragorn have this tiny interaction at Meduseld:

Then Éowyn looked in the eyes of Aragorn, and she said: 'Wish me joy, my liege-lord and healer!'
    And he answered: 'I have wished thee joy ever since first I saw thee. It heals my heart to see thee now in bliss.'
    </linguistic major>

*cheers for linguistic majors*

The OP's guide is exhaustively thorough. I'm too lazy, so I cheat: I base most of my characters on family or friends. For example, my hobbit guardian is based on my father and his life story... my grandfather died of a weak heart (due to complications from childhood rheumatic fever) when my dad was a teenager. Dad grew up an only child, very close to his mother, a little spoiled and self-centered, gregarious and open, but somehow guarded, too. Definitely a protector, but not the most adept in sharing, lol.

The details came out in role-playing with others, from this central core of character.
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of [URL="http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunch.com/"]The Lonely Mountain Band[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Cala_Romello View Post
    snipped a bit

______________________________ ______________________________ ______________________________ ______________________________ ___ Fun linguistic fact that most people get wrong: 'thee/thou/thy/thine' and the like are actually familiar pronouns, not formal. They are used for speaking to bosom friends and companions, along with family. The reason most people think they are formal is due to their primary use in this day and age: references to God in Christian (and, to a lesser extent, Jewish and Muslim) liturgy.

If you look at LotR, the only times you see characters dropping into this manner of diction is when they're either baring their hearts or speaking to someone who they perceive to inferior. E.g. Éowyn's pleading with Aragorn before he leaves Dunharrow (where his continued use of the formal 'you' is almost heart-breakingly cold) and Denethor's insults to Gandalf in his madness ("'Pride and despair!' he cried. 'Didst thou think that the eyes of the White Tower were blind? Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool. For thy hope is but ignorance.'"). There's also one more place where its use touches the heart. After Éowyn and Faramir are betrothed (and Aragorn and Arwen wed), Éowyn and Aragorn have this tiny interaction at Meduseld:

</linguistic major>
    Thank you for posting this. I too found Aragorn's use of 'you' to Eowyn's 'thee' so telling, and heartbreaking. I wonder how many English only speakers who read LoTR are aware of these social indicators and subtleties.

Don't 'thee me' if we aren't family or intimate friends! It's plain insulting.

Can you do a linguist's guide to 'allowed' contractions (can't v cannot v can not etc.) next please? And the proper use of 'shall' versus the (too common for some) verb 'will'? Oh, and my other pet peeve, when I should just be talking about 'me' not waxing magniloquent about 'myself'.
    Last edited by Calta; Feb 26 2014 at 06:25 AM.

Thank you Lodhreth, for this guide, and all the others for your additional information and opinions. I'm going to be roleplaying on Laurelin soon, and I'll use this guide for my caracter build up. I don't think I will answer all 100 questions, as I think some things you can make up as you go, but it's very helpfull as with this guide I at least will know I don't forget anything important in my caracter build up. My in game name is Falhireth. Maybe I'll see you in game someday .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2