We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb A Roleplaying Guide - As Written by Lodhreth Arodhel, of the Laurelin Server

I am Lodhreth Arodhel, of the Laurelin Server, and today I am going to be sharing with you a guide of how to roleplay. It is no simple art, but your mind is both your paintbrush and your easel. There are many preliminary stages that we have to pass through before we can even reach the main game, but we can go through them all together, right?

Stage I: Character Development.

Developing your character is probably THE MOST important part of creating your roleplay, and making it enjoyable. Are you the Hobbit of Michel Delving? The Elf of Lindon? The Man of the Mark? A lost Dwarf of Erebor? An explorer? A blacksmith? A nobleman? There are so many possibilities, but you have to stay within reason, and follow some rules (Which you will see soon, should you continue reading). Below is a template very useful for creating your character. There are 100 questions. I've seen it around the internet, grabbed it for my kin site, and so on. It'd good to share, and while it may take a long time, it will both entertain you, and guide you.

Part 1: The Basics

1. What is your full name?
    2. Where and when were you born?
    3. Who are/were your parents? (Know their names, occupations, personalities, etc.)
    4. Do you have any siblings? What are/were they like?
    5. Where do you live now, and with whom? Describe the place and the person/people.
    6. What is your occupation?
    7. Write a full physical description of yourself. You might want to consider factors such as: height, weight, race, hair and eye colour, style of dress, and any tattoos, scars, or distinguishing marks.
    8. To which social class do you belong?
    9. Do you have any allergies, diseases, or other physical weaknesses?
    10. Are you right- or left-handed?
    11. What does your voice sound like?
    12. What words and/or phrases do you use very frequently?
    13. What do you have in your pockets?
    14. Do you have any quirks, strange mannerisms, annoying habits, or other defining characteristics?

Part 2: Growing Up

15. How would you describe your childhood in general?
    16. What is your earliest memory?
    17. How much schooling have you had?
    18. Did you enjoy school?
    19. Where did you learn most of your skills and other abilities?
    20. While growing up, did you have any role models? If so, describe them.
    21. While growing up, how did you get along with the other members of your family?
    22. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
    23. As a child, what were your favourite activities?
    24. As a child, what kinds of personality traits did you display?
    25. As a child, were you popular? Who were your friends, and what were they like?
    26. When and with whom was your first kiss?
    27. Are you a virgin? If not, when and with whom did you lose your virginity?
    28. Do you have any special abilities from your childhood? Were you trained at your father's forge, or with your mother's loom?

Part 3: Past Influences

29. What do you consider the most important event of your life so far?
    30. Who has had the most influence on you?
    31. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
    32. What is your greatest regret?
    33. What is the most evil thing you have ever done?
    34. Do you have a criminal record of any kind?
    35. When was the time you were the most frightened?
    36. What is the most embarrassing thing ever to happen to you?
    37. If you could change one thing from your past, what would it be, and why?
    38. What is your best memory?
    39. What is your worst memory?

Part 4: Beliefs And Opinions

40. Are you basically optimistic or pessimistic?
    41. What is your greatest fear?
    42. What are your religious views?
    43. What are your political views?
    44. What are your views on sex?
    45. Are you able to kill? Under what circumstances do you find killing to be acceptable or unacceptable?
    46. In your opinion, what is the most evil thing that a sentient being could do?
    47. Do you believe in the existence of soul mates and/or true love?
    48. What do you believe makes a successful life?
    49. How honest are you about your thoughts and feelings (i.e. do you hide your true self from others, and in what way)?
    50. Do you have any biases or prejudices?
    51. Is there anything you absolutely refuse to do under any circumstances? Why do you refuse to do it?
    52. Who or what, if anything, would you die for (or otherwise go to extremes for)?

Part 5: Relationships With Others

53. In general, how do you treat others (politely, rudely, by keeping them at a distance, etc.)? Does your treatment of them change depending on how well you know them, and if so, how?
    54. Who is the most important person in your life, and why?
    55. Who is the person you respect the most, and why?
    56. Who are your friends? Do you have a best friend? Describe these people.
    57. Do you have a spouse or significant other? If so, describe this person.
    58. Have you ever been in love? If so, describe what happened.
    59. What do you look for in a potential lover?
    60. How close are you to your family?
    61. Have you started your own family? If so, describe them. If not, do you want to? Why or why not?
    62. Who would you turn to if you were in desperate need of help?
    63. Do you trust anyone to protect you? Who, and why?
    64. If you died or went missing, who would miss you?
    65. Who is the person you despise the most, and why?
    66. Do you tend to argue with people, or avoid conflict?
    67. Do you tend to take on leadership roles in social situations?
    68. Do you like interacting with large groups of people? Why or why not?
    69. Do you care what others think of you?

Part 6: Likes And Dislikes

70. What is/are your favourite hobbies and pastimes?
    71. What is your most treasured possession?
    72. What is your favourite colour?
    73. What is your favourite food?
    74. What, if anything, do you like to read?
    75. What is your idea of good entertainment (consider music, movies, art, etc.)?
    76. Do you smoke, drink, or use drugs? If so, why? Do you want to quit?
    77. How do you spend a typical Saturday night?
    78. What makes you laugh?
    79. What, if anything, shocks or offends you?
    80. What would you do if you had insomnia and had to find something to do to amuse yourself?
    81. How do you deal with stress?
    82. Are you spontaneous, or do you always need to have a plan?
    83. What are your pet peeves?

Part 7: Self Images And Etc.

84. Describe the routine of a normal day for you. How do you feel when this routine is disrupted?
    85. What is your greatest strength as a person?
    86. What is your greatest weakness?
    87. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
    88. Are you generally introverted or extroverted?
    89. Are you generally organized or messy?
    90. Name three things you consider yourself to be very good at, and three things you consider yourself to be very bad at.
    91. Do you like yourself?
    92. What are your reasons for being an adventurer (or doing the strange and heroic things that RPG characters do)? Are your real reasons for doing this different than the ones you tell people in public? (If so, detail both sets of reasons…)
    93. What goal do you most want to accomplish in your lifetime?
    94. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    95. If you could choose, how would you want to die?
    96. If you knew you were going to die in 24 hours, name three things you would do in the time you had left.
    97. What is the one thing for which you would most like to be remembered after your death?
    98. What three words best describe your personality?
    99. What three words would others probably use to describe you?
    100. If you could, what advice would you, the player, give to your character? (You might even want to speak as if he or she were sitting right here in front of you, and use proper tone so he or she might heed your advice…)

Stage II: Character Appearance

I chose not to include the appearance and development together for the reason that it has a more social role, than anything else. Should it be the eyes she inherited from his mother... The scar he got with those orcs and goblins... The hair as gold as sunlight... The weight gained from living in Bree, and becoming inebriated every night... Everything. The appearance builds your character a lot and shows WHO they are, rather than WHAT they are. If you want to discover what your character looks like, either go in to the Create-a-Character straight away, or take your time and use a template, such as the one below...

Race -
    Hair Colour -
    Hair Length -
    Eye Colour -
    Skin Colour -
    Beard -
    Beard Colour -
    Scars -
    Height -
    Body Build -

Just a simple way. You could also describe why they have that beard, or how they got their scars, in that very same area. I personally ignore the height and body build, and just let my character's be 'average height', mostly due to the fact that in LOTRO, we do not have a height slider.

Stage III: Characteristics and Traits

The characteristics and traits define your character even further. Are they hydrophobic? They will then not swim. Does she have Ornithophobia? She runs for shelter every time she sees birds. Is he claustrophobic? He refuses to go in caves. Perhaps, other than the 'flaws' ((Which add a lot of entertainment to roleplay)), they have a 'lighter' side. Are they very generous? They give their leftovers to the homeless and poor. Is she brave? She will fight to save the lives of others. Is he too intelligent for his own good? He will do whatever it takes to get knowledge, no matter what.

Now, accents is another thing, and what they know. Are they a Bree-Lander, naive of dragons and the oncoming force that may potentially kill them all? Is she of the Mark ((Rohan)) and will kill all orcs, and warn others of them? Is he a young Hobbit of the Shire, who's only fear is the wolves that come out at night? Are they an elf of Imladris ((Rivendell)), who has been there as a refugee for a long time? Where they are from, and what they have experienced, and even the race, all dictates what they know. For example, a Hobbit and Man would probably only speak Westron, whereas an Elf could add Sindarin to that.

Stage IV: Preparing Yourself

Your character is ready, and you now need to familiarise yourself with roleplaying terms. We are nearly ready to send you in to the world of Middle-Earth ((Or any other roleplaying game, for that matter)) and let you write your destiny! Below are some terms you must know... Well, should know. I think that if we all know them, we can only get better. Just remember that sometimes the names for terms vary, and I am going by how I know them.

IC - In Character... The opposite to OOC. In roleplay.

OOC - Out of Character... The opposite to IC. Out of roleplay.

Poweremoting - Using your emotes ((/me)) to control a different character without their permission. If it was discussed OOC beforehand that you could control them to say... Have their hand cut off, then you would be able to do so, so long as you make everyone else in attendance aware of this.

Mary Sue - Is your character Elrond's wife, Gimli's adopted father, Frodo's father or whatever? If so, change it. It is both lorebreaking ((A term we will get to)) and awful for roleplay, and will make people stop roleplaying with you.

Lorebreaking - Breaking lore... For example, knowing of the Fellowship of the Ring. Only those in attendance of the meeting would know, not every single person in Middle-Earth. Just remember that when you play LOTRO, you are playing Turbine's Middle-Earth, NOT Tolkien's.

((+))'s - Using brackets in IC chats allows you to show those around you that what you are saying is OOC.

Metagaming - Knowing OOC information IC. E.G Knowing of the Fellowship, knowing that your friend's character will be in the Pony when you join their Fellowship, and so on.

Godemoting - Having your emotes be God-like. E.G Lodhreth uses his blade, Kalitiri, to summon the power of Light in this dark night, bringing daylight to all, and beams of light burning his foes. This also seem very Mary Sue'ish.

And finally, some more important notes that you should, or where I would say must, read!

- Be literate in roleplay. Speak properly. Even if your character is a farmer, say "Aye. I be a farmer. It ain't none of ya business though, is it? If y'all needs crops, then ya know where to find me, aye?" and if they are a noble... "Hmm? Thy love for thee compares to none. Woe strikes my heart when time dictates that we depart!" I see them speaking properly in and Old English way, at least. Oh, and they would not say "isn't", they would say "is not". So long as they pronounce their words properly for WHO and WHAT they are, it's great.

- Relate not only to this guide, but to others, as well as the Turbine Roleplaying Rules, ESPECIALLY if you are on a roleplaying server, such as Laurelin. But if you want to be a good roleplayer, you will prepare yourself far beforehand.

- Kins make all the difference. They help define your character's purpose on a more global scale. For example, my character, Lodhreth, is in charge of I' Hosse, a military Elf kin. We don't call it a kin IC, though, and we are all a 'family' of sorts, in character, and not by blood. Should it be a noble house, a military organisation, or just some band or mercenaries, assassins or cut-throats. So long as YOUR character fits in there.

Anyway, I believe I should be ending this guide here. I will quite likely add to this in the near future, and I hope you have learned a lot.

- Lodhreth Arodhel, Laurelin Server.

*Extension 1* Being Lore Appropriate

Being lore appropriate is considered very important. I may, or may not, have stated that there are several very important things for each race. Hobbits tend to stick to their homes, and so you won't find them out being heroes. Frodo, Sam, Peregrin and Meredoc are a very rare exception... Bilbo, too. This doesn't stop your Hobbit from being a hero, but I will tell you from personal experience, hobbits are much more fun to roleplay with when at 'home'. Of course, don't let me tell you how to roleplay. Another thing with elves, is that their names will be in their language, as will numerous things they say. Knowing phrases such as "Mae Govannen", "Well Met," "Aaye, Mellyn", "Hail Friends" are fair and decent to know, but don't feel as if you have to learn the entire language. Just use [Sindarin] at the start of what you are saying, and you should be fine. E.G "[Sindarin] That Man is a fool. He will lead us to his death. Why would he, as a Rohirrim, trust two elves? Especially considering the fact we hail from the land governed by the great Thranduil!" There are only about a dozen or two things you really 'need' to know, but if you want to learn all your lore, I recommend being a Bree-Lander in the Prancing Pony, who questions everyone about things. That, or just researching and ensuring with other sites that this is accurate. Also, the place that you roleplay at is very important. An Elf in Bree, or Erebor, or even the Shire, is likely to be very unwelcomed, especially the first two, but I doubt this would stop the elf from staying there, depending on how significant the reason is. A Dwarf will not be so welcome in Imladris (Rivendell) either, nor will a Hobbit in say... The Mark (Rohan), or in Gondor, or in any place at war, really. But as I said, I won't tell you how to roleplay, just advise to help you get the best experience... That I would consider best, at least, as even others can join in and share the memories.

Lore Breaking and Lore Bending

While many confuse the two, they are very different. Lore Breaking, (For now, we will refer to it as LBR) is inappropriate and is not right. However, Lore Bending, (Or as we are going to refer to it, LBE), is very much welcomed. A Dunedan (Not Dunedain, as that is plural), or as it is more commonly known as, a 'Ranger', or 'Man of The West', would not go telling everyone of his heritage, as being honest, many, especially the Bree-Landers, would not believe him. A dwarven Elf-Friend, while not necessarily being loved by all elves, is not one with a special title, but the admiration of several elves, who gave him the title, by simply calling him "Mellon", or if there are a group of them "Mellyn," the plural. Also, a Hobbit would not choose to run away forever, but they may think that and say that. They would miss their great meals, such as second breakfast, and supper, but alas... The fate of YOUR character is in YOUR hands, right?
    Last edited by failed868; Feb 04 2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Adding Two More Sections

Nice guide some good ideas there.

Feedback

Just wanted to add that I would like feedback

In a nit-picky sense, #46 -- doesn't just apply to humans

On a broader sense, I'm glad of this and plan to share it with some people, credit to you ofc. It's a well-adapted list of questions and definitely usable, I want to go through it with my characters today

I would add a brief intro reminding people that in a world like Middle-earth, cultural and racial influence makes a HUGE difference. When a person begins to roleplay they (imo) should decide immediately to what extent they want to adhere to the 'lore'. I've seen a couple players who make many decisions about their character and spend a long time on it before they start roleplaying, then end up in the wrong group of roleplayers. [For instance, someone spends forever trying to make a perfectly lore-adherent Dwarf character and then finds their circle of friends are speaking Khuzdul in public and get angry at the annoying lore-snob if he tries to protest it IC. For instance, someone works their way through a list of questions, thinking sincerely about the questions but due to approaching from a human mindset finds they can't have a decent roleplaying session with the local group of lore-loving Elves because they didn't know sex=marriage and wrote a character who has a step-sister because of remarried Elvish parents.]

There's nothing wrong with approaching from a loose view of the lore, a strict view of the lore, or a Peter-Jacksonized version or a LOTRO-lore adherent. Just tends to make a huge difference which you choose and ideally have it in mind from the beginning, because it ends up affecting the type of RPers your character best gets along with.
    Crickhollow, Heavy-RP, and Elves.
    Daro a Maetho is my oath and my kinship.
    Lossenelenwen / Nimpriel : Hunter / Warden

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Elvishmouse View Post
    In a nit-picky sense, #46 -- doesn't just apply to humans

On a broader sense, I'm glad of this and plan to share it with some people, credit to you ofc. It's a well-adapted list of questions and definitely usable, I want to go through it with my characters today

I would add a brief intro reminding people that in a world like Middle-earth, cultural and racial influence makes a HUGE difference. When a person begins to roleplay they (imo) should decide immediately to what extent they want to adhere to the 'lore'. I've seen a couple players who make many decisions about their character and spend a long time on it before they start roleplaying, then end up in the wrong group of roleplayers. [For instance, someone spends forever trying to make a perfectly lore-adherent Dwarf character and then finds their circle of friends are speaking Khuzdul in public and get angry at the annoying lore-snob if he tries to protest it IC. For instance, someone works their way through a list of questions, thinking sincerely about the questions but due to approaching from a human mindset finds they can't have a decent roleplaying session with the local group of lore-loving Elves because they didn't know sex=marriage and wrote a character who has a step-sister because of remarried Elvish parents.]

There's nothing wrong with approaching from a loose view of the lore, a strict view of the lore, or a Peter-Jacksonized version or a LOTRO-lore adherent. Just tends to make a huge difference which you choose and ideally have it in mind from the beginning, because it ends up affecting the type of RPers your character best gets along with.
    I realised only today, while I was rather busy, that I had missed several things of significance. But this wasn't a lore guide, at the end of the day, but just how to roleplay, which I only really touched faintly. And with 46? I've seen the guide everywhere, and I think I can just change that now. All I say is, go where your characters belong. No one says all your 11 characters have to go to the Prancing Pony, at the end of the day. With me, my Man (Well, Woman) tends to play music at the Prancing Pony if I am semi-afk, I have a choice of elf to go to the Hall of Fire event on Wednesdays, and on Friday, my hobbit goes to the Green Dragon... Sometimes he goes to the markets as well. Anyway, before I go too in-depth, it's great to have some feedback, and constructive criticism, too.

About sharing? Share it wherever you go, and if you are only using a section, don't bother about credit, but if it is the thing as a whole, then credit would be appropriate. Thanks again
    Last edited by failed868; Feb 04 2014 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Correcting "an" to "and"

This is a great little guide and I too have seen it in several places. A few of my characters have used it and others have a different approach. Sometimes (since I am an altoholic) I just create the character with some background in mind and start playing right away until I get the feel of who it is I created and build on it. After a month or so of gaming with him or her I will check out the guide and fill in parts that apply.

I tell my new roleplayer friends to do this if they seem horrified at the character guide and then return to it after they have spent some time with their roleplay character.

Thanks for putting the guide up for us all to check out. It is very helpful.
    [CENTER]
    [URL="http://s1.zetaboards.com/LeavesOfLaurelin/index/"]Leaves Of Laurelin - Landroval and Laurelin[/URL]
    [URL="http://s13.zetaboards.com/Andunie/index/"]Andúnië - Elven music society - Laurelin & Landroval[/URL]
    Makalaurë, Cotumo, Laurefindë, Witred, and Tulus!
    [/CENTER]

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Laurefinde View Post
    This is a great little guide and I too have seen it in several places. A few of my characters have used it and others have a different approach. Sometimes (since I am an altoholic) I just create the character with some background in mind and start playing right away until I get the feel of who it is I created and build on it. After a month or so of gaming with him or her I will check out the guide and fill in parts that apply.

I tell my new roleplayer friends to do this if they seem horrified at the character guide and then return to it after they have spent some time with their roleplay character.

Thanks for putting the guide up for us all to check out. It is very helpful.
    I know how you feel with alts I have 8 characters, few I RP on, due to their 'natures', with them sticking to their homes etc. Feel free to throw this guide anywhere, should it be a kin site, or for an entirely different game. Just reference that I wrote it and bam, a whole new source for creating characters. It's quite lengthy, yes, but it prepares you to start roleplaying, with no real moments to go "Oh... I never thought about that" or "What does that mean".

Yes, these 100 questions can be indeed very useful. I have used them a many times the past years when building up my chars. I would recomend them to any newbies out there trying to do some RP for the first time

Timeline

re: The Basics, Growing Up, Past Influences, Beliefs And Opinions, Relationships With Others, Likes And Dislikes, Self Image, Character Appearance, Characteristics, and Traits

An approach I have found useful (especially with elves), is to work from within and out of the timeline of Middle-earth and its recorded histories. When did the First Age begin and end? Why? The Second Age, etc. Investigating these parameters allows you to place your characters on the map before considering what part, if any at all, they played in various events. Things discovered in one's research might then better inform your character and a biography may grow more organically in this way.

LotrProject, a creative web project dedicated to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and most known for its extensive genealogy, the historical timeline of Middle-Earth, and the statistics of the population of Middle-Earth, was helpful to me. (http://lotrproject.com/timeline/#zoo...573.5&layers=B)
    Last edited by Breeon; Feb 06 2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks for this guide, I'm thinking of starting a new character in Laurilen after several months break and this will really help me out.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Supergrunt8 View Post
    Thanks for this guide, I'm thinking of starting a new character in Laurilen after several months break and this will really help me out.
    If you need any further need, do not hesitate to contact me in-game And I am glad this has helped you.

The guide is nice and detailed but I think it is perhaps this kind of in depth perspective which puts people off or makes them worried about role-playing. I certainly have meta fair number of players who have not embrace role-play because they are worried about having a go.

I have always said to people just create a character with a brief vision of your character in your head and then flesh all the background and personality out as you get into role-playing the character.

Get in game and have a go you have nothing to lose and its all about having fun!

On a side note:-

You mention also the use of brackets
    ((+))'s - Using brackets in IC chats allows you to show those around you that what you are saying is OOC.

This is something which varies kin to kin some go for it others prefer to tell people OOC things via fellowship/IM or kin channels ( this is how our warband is as it helps not break the immersion ).

There is also a recent trend on people putting words spoken by their characters into the emote channel, this is something which has happened more and more over the last 12 months i don't understand why. Also you get those who put thoughts into emotes. Emotes are simply actions which can be visually observed by those around you. They should not include thoughts or indeed be overly long and certainly not include things the character is saying.

As with all things though there are no set ways on how to roleplay and its up to each kin to create their own codes of conduct / guidelines and we must all be tolerant of those in the community around us.

Our own kinship the Warband of Imladris follows a style the core founders brought with them from the Ultima Online Roleplaying Community ( ERPA/CoRE) where every guild role-played to one set way which proved very successful. For those interested you can read the adaption of them here

Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings

Regards
    Khalis
    Khalis - Elven Warder & Captain in the Warband of Imladris
    An Elven Kin based in Rivendell, composed of Elves and Men in honour of the old alliance formed by Lord Elrond.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalis_Laurelin View Post
    The guide is nice and detailed but I think it is perhaps this kind of in depth perspective which puts people off or makes them worried about role-playing. I certainly have meta fair number of players who have not embrace role-play because they are worried about having a go.

I have always said to people just create a character with a brief vision of your character in your head and then flesh all the background and personality out as you get into role-playing the character.

Get in game and have a go you have nothing to lose and its all about having fun!

On a side note:-

You mention also the use of brackets

This is something which varies kin to kin some go for it others prefer to tell people OOC things via fellowship/IM or kin channels ( this is how our warband is as it helps not break the immersion ).

There is also a recent trend on people putting words spoken by their characters into the emote channel, this is something which has happened more and more over the last 12 months i don't understand why. Also you get those who put thoughts into emotes. Emotes are simply actions which can be visually observed by those around you. They should not include thoughts or indeed be overly long and certainly not include things the character is saying.

As with all things though there are no set ways on how to roleplay and its up to each kin to create their own codes of conduct / guidelines and we must all be tolerant of those in the community around us.

Our own kinship the Warband of Imladris follows a style the core founders brought with them from the Ultima Online Roleplaying Community ( ERPA/CoRE) where every guild role-played to one set way which proved very successful. For those interested you can read the adaption of them here

Thanks for taking time to read my ramblings

Regards
    Khalis
    And here comes Khalis, big and bold. Just waiting for someone to come on through and share how they roleplay, which is actually perfect, imo.

And trust me to forget telling people to have a go. Definitely have a go, and if I didn't want more roleplayers, this guide would have never been written.... I think everyone should give it a go, and listen to everyone's experiences and opinions and everything... But you have to remember, there are those who are anti-RPers, and you learn to ignore them.... Eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by failed868 View Post
    And here comes Khalis, big and bold. Just waiting for someone to come on through and share how they roleplay, which is actually perfect, imo.

And trust me to forget telling people to have a go. Definitely have a go, and if I didn't want more roleplayers, this guide would have never been written.... I think everyone should give it a go, and listen to everyone's experiences and opinions and everything... But you have to remember, there are those who are anti-RPers, and you learn to ignore them.... Eventually.
    I have always felt that everyone should be encouraged to give role-play a go and the basics should be always kept simple so as to encourage everyone. There have been and are still some GREAT roleplayers on Laurelin many of whom I have had the honour and fun of interacting with. I do not consider myself big or bold I just serve the kinship I am in to the best of my ability and support those I consider my friends on Laurelin.

Regards
    K
    Last edited by Khalis_Laurelin; Feb 09 2014 at 02:58 PM.
    An Elven Kin based in Rivendell, composed of Elves and Men in honour of the old alliance formed by Lord Elrond.

Arrow

I am sorry if you take offense at my reply. I have always felt that everyone should be encouraged to give role-play a go and the basics should be always kept simple so as to encourage everyone. There have been and are still some GREAT roleplayers on Laurelin many of whom I have had the honour and fun of interacting with. I do not consider myself big or bold I just serve the kinship I am in to the best of my ability and support those I consider my friends on Laurelin.

Regards
    K
    I meant no offense at all. I do not mind stating this in front of everyone, but I look up to you and your kin. It was not sarcasm, but actually a compliment. If my words seemed twisted, then I sincerely apologise. And being "Big and bold"? Well, that is how I have looked up to you, even before seeing you IC.

Thanks for the chat across IM, it was appreciated.

As you wrote, feedback is appreciated, and I assume you also mean suggestions, criticisms, and correction of errors. So here I go.

Some of this may sound harsh, but what I really mean to go for is *emphatic*. I am a big Tolkien nerd and a big Tolkien RP nerd, so all of this is stated in a very polite tone, but a very emphatic tone, from one RPer to another. Text loses this tone sometimes, so please realise that I speak with you with all due respect that you, as a fellow human being, very much deserve.

Cheers.

Developing your character is probably THE MOST important part of creating your roleplay, and making it enjoyable. Are you the Hobbit of Michel Delving? The Elf of Lindon? The Man of the Mark? A lost Dwarf of Erebor? An explorer? A blacksmith? A nobleman? There are so many possibilities, but you have to stay within reason, and follow some rules (Which you will see soon, should you continue reading). Below is a template very useful for creating your character. There are 100 questions. I've seen it around the internet, grabbed it for my kin site, and so on. It'd good to share, and while it may take a long time, it will both entertain you, and guide you.

((Lots of questions))
    What you fail to point out is that the majority of roleplayers do NOT have all of these questions answered before they begin roleplaying. Indeed, I think it's more of a *detriment* to have a background so solidified, for it does not allow for as many impromptu background elements that can make RP so interesting, so interactive, and just so much fun. If you want this guide to encourage rather than scare new RPers, perhaps consider adding the ever important note that filling all of this out is NOT required before starting to roleplay, but rather just something to consider over a long period of time AS you develop the character through RP.

For instance, for my most developed character, the majority of her 'growing up' questions and many 'likes and dislikes' were decided impromptu while RPing with others. And I know that my experience is not at all unique. Impromptu development and impromptu background stories, so long as they do not significantly vary from what you show in the character as you RP, makes the experience a lot more fun, at least IMO.

Just a simple way. You could also describe why they have that beard, or how they got their scars, in that very same area. I personally ignore the height and body build, and just let my character's be 'average height', mostly due to the fact that in LOTRO, we do not have a height slider.
    I really disagree with your suggestion on height and body build. The avatars are tools, not set in stone. I do not think the game's limitations should determine RP. If that were the case, you could never RP someone as heavily pregnant, or a fatter human being, or someone missing a limb. I just cannot disagree further; this stiffles creativity and RP, and does not encourage it.

I really think that your definitions need to be expanded and corrected.

Poweremoting - Using your emotes ((/me)) to control a different character without their permission. If it was discussed OOC beforehand that you could control them to say... Have their hand cut off, then you would be able to do so, so long as you make everyone else in attendance aware of this.
    You discuss a very extreme situation. You should consider discussing more realistic scenarios that happen all the time, such as shoving someone without their permission (and without knowing the player behind the character well enough-- there are always exceptions), or stealing from someone without giving them any chance to react, or indeed assuming that they *have* a coin purse on their belt. Cutting a hand off is just... too extreme to really show what 'power emoting' really is in most RP situations.

Mary Sue - Is your character Elrond's wife, Gimli's adopted father, Frodo's father or whatever? If so, change it. It is both lorebreaking ((A term we will get to)) and awful for roleplay, and will make people stop roleplaying with you.
    Nah, this is only a very, very small section of what a Mary Sue entails. I recommend reading http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue and linking the Litmus Test: http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

Lorebreaking - Breaking lore... For example, knowing of the Fellowship of the Ring. Only those in attendance of the meeting would know, not every single person in Middle-Earth. Just remember that when you play LOTRO, you are playing Turbine's Middle-Earth, NOT Tolkien's
    I don't really think that's a definition of lore-breaking. Lore-breaking is something that goes against what is set in Tolkien's and/or Turbine's Middle-earth. An easy example is modern technology. A more difficult example is use of blatant mage-like magic (since Turbine very much breaks Turbine lore in game-play). Lore-breaking is not an easy thing to define and the definition varies from player to player, and RP scenario to RP scenario. It's lore-breaking to know too much of modern science, to me, but I know a couple very good RPers who disagree with that view. So there you have it. Not easy to define.

Perhaps include a warning to NOT overuse these in public RP spots. People who do will go on some /ignore lists if they don't take it soon to tells. Once or twice at a time tends to be more acceptable by the majority of RPers, especially with ((brb)) or ((back)) or ((gtg)) and other similar messages.

Metagaming - Knowing OOC information IC. E.G Knowing of the Fellowship, knowing that your friend's character will be in the Pony when you join their Fellowship, and so on.
    Does knowledge of the Fellowship often come on Laurelin? I almost never see it on Landroval. The largest issues with metagaming are when a *player* knows when a character did something, and then suddenly their character knows as well. Or, for some people, if *one* of their characters sees it, suddenly *all* of their characters know about it. Very bad metagaming there, and makes for less than enjoyable RP. Mutual agreement to use NPCs for IC information spreading does not count, but it has to be a mutual agreement between both players. Using your own characters to spread information should have a very set IC reason... such as your two characters are brothers. If they do not know one another, information should not be spread.

Godemoting - Having your emotes be God-like. E.G Lodhreth uses his blade, Kalitiri, to summon the power of Light in this dark night, bringing daylight to all, and beams of light burning his foes. This also seem very Mary Sue'ish.
    In my experience, godmodding/godemoting is the EXACT same thing as power emoting in most scenarios. See http://www.crossroadsroleplay.com/in...faq/godmoding/ and http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=god%20modding BUT in this blog it follows your scenario http://www.ongoingworlds.com/blog/20...s-it-annoying/ -- so I think that you should put Power-emoting and Godmodding right by one another, and note that power-emoting and godmodding are often used to mean the same thing with many RPers.

and if they are a noble... "Hmm? Thy love for thee compares to none. Woe strikes my heart when time dictates that we depart!" I see them speaking properly in and Old English way, at least.
    Eh... no, this is not a good suggestion. Using 'thou' incorrectly will most likely garner laughs, not respect. Do NOT use Early Modern English (Old English is another language, Anglo-Saxon... the thees/thys/thous are Early Modern English) and VERY few people write this correctly. You can write nobly without resorting to absolutely terrible Early Modern English. Do NOT use it if you do not know the rules about it. Reading Lord of the Rings will also show you that VERY noble characters, such as Aragorn, Faramir, and Theoden, NEVER used this language EXCEPT for very, very formal situations. So I beg you reconsider this point of advice, it just butchers English more often than not, and does *not* follow lore most of the time. And don't call Early Modern English 'Old English', it makes linguistic majors cry

A Dwarf will not be so welcome in Imladris (Rivendell) either, nor will a Hobbit in say... The Mark (Rohan), or in Gondor, or in any place at war, really.
    Not really... For the first one, read Chapter Three of the Hobbit to see how Tolkien's Elves and Elrond treated Dwarves, as well as Chapt 1 of Book 2 of FOTR, 'Many Meetings'. For Hobbits welcome in the Mark, please refer to King Theoden and Merry's meeting in front of Isengard and how the Rohirrim actually *know* about hobbits, the Holbytlan. Gondor it is hard to say, as the only people we saw come in before the war was Gandalf and Pippin. I do not think you can make such claims of lore-- they are but your own interpretation, and as I said before, what is lore-breaking and what is sticking to lore varies greatly from individiual to individual.

A Dunedan (Not Dunedain, as that is plural), or as it is more commonly known as, a 'Ranger', or 'Man of The West', would not go telling everyone of his heritage, as being honest, many, especially the Bree-Landers, would not believe him. A dwarven Elf-Friend, while not necessarily being loved by all elves, is not one with a special title, but the admiration of several elves, who gave him the title, by simply calling him "Mellon", or if there are a group of them "Mellyn," the plural. Also, a Hobbit would not choose to run away forever, but they may think that and say that. They would miss their great meals, such as second breakfast, and supper, but alas... The fate of YOUR character is in YOUR hands, right?
    I actually agree here, and it bugs me so much seeing the Obvious Rangers in the Pony, but eh, their character, their life. I just wanted to say that the actual singular form is Dunadan, not Dunedan ((Dúnadan and Dúnedain if you want to be REALLY picky, but most people do not expect the accent nor condemn its absence)).
    Last edited by Laire; Feb 09 2014 at 09:50 PM.

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

Arrow Thanks for Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    As you wrote, feedback is appreciated, and I assume you also mean suggestions, criticisms, and correction of errors. So here I go.

Some of this may sound harsh, but what I really mean to go for is *emphatic*. I am a big Tolkien nerd and a big Tolkien RP nerd, so all of this is stated in a very polite tone, but a very emphatic tone, from one RPer to another. Text loses this tone sometimes, so please realise that I speak with you with all due respect that you, as a fellow human being, very much deserve.

Cheers.

What you fail to point out is that the majority of roleplayers do NOT have all of these questions answered before they begin roleplaying. Indeed, I think it's more of a *detriment* to have a background so solidified, for it does not allow for as many impromptu background elements that can make RP so interesting, so interactive, and just so much fun. If you want this guide to encourage rather than scare new RPers, perhaps consider adding the ever important note that filling all of this out is NOT required before starting to roleplay, but rather just something to consider over a long period of time AS you develop the character through RP.

For instance, for my most developed character, the majority of her 'growing up' questions and many 'likes and dislikes' were decided impromptu while RPing with others. And I know that my experience is not at all unique. Impromptu development and impromptu background stories, so long as they do not significantly vary from what you show in the character as you RP, makes the experience a lot more fun, at least IMO.

I really disagree with your suggestion on height and body build. The avatars are tools, not set in stone. I do not think the game's limitations should determine RP. If that were the case, you could never RP someone as heavily pregnant, or a fatter human being, or someone missing a limb. I just cannot disagree further; this stiffles creativity and RP, and does not encourage it.

I really think that your definitions need to be expanded and corrected.

You discuss a very extreme situation. You should consider discussing more realistic scenarios that happen all the time, such as shoving someone without their permission (and without knowing the player behind the character well enough-- there are always exceptions), or stealing from someone without giving them any chance to react, or indeed assuming that they *have* a coin purse on their belt. Cutting a hand off is just... too extreme to really show what 'power emoting' really is in most RP situations.

Nah, this is only a very, very small section of what a Mary Sue entails. I recommend reading http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue and linking the Litmus Test: http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

I don't really think that's a definition of lore-breaking. Lore-breaking is something that goes against what is set in Tolkien's and/or Turbine's Middle-earth. An easy example is modern technology. A more difficult example is use of blatant mage-like magic (since Turbine very much breaks Turbine lore in game-play). Lore-breaking is not an easy thing to define and the definition varies from player to player, and RP scenario to RP scenario. It's lore-breaking to know too much of modern science, to me, but I know a couple very good RPers who disagree with that view. So there you have it. Not easy to define.

Perhaps include a warning to NOT overuse these in public RP spots. People who do will go on some /ignore lists if they don't take it soon to tells. Once or twice at a time tends to be more acceptable by the majority of RPers, especially with ((brb)) or ((back)) or ((gtg)) and other similar messages.

Does knowledge of the Fellowship often come on Laurelin? I almost never see it on Landroval. The largest issues with metagaming are when a *player* knows when a character did something, and then suddenly their character knows as well. Or, for some people, if *one* of their characters sees it, suddenly *all* of their characters know about it. Very bad metagaming there, and makes for less than enjoyable RP. Mutual agreement to use NPCs for IC information spreading does not count, but it has to be a mutual agreement between both players. Using your own characters to spread information should have a very set IC reason... such as your two characters are brothers. If they do not know one another, information should not be spread.

In my experience, godmodding/godemoting is the EXACT same thing as power emoting in most scenarios. See http://www.crossroadsroleplay.com/in...faq/godmoding/ and http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=god%20modding BUT in this blog it follows your scenario http://www.ongoingworlds.com/blog/20...s-it-annoying/ -- so I think that you should put Power-emoting and Godmodding right by one another, and note that power-emoting and godmodding are often used to mean the same thing with many RPers.

Eh... no, this is not a good suggestion. Using 'thou' incorrectly will most likely garner laughs, not respect. Do NOT use Early Modern English (Old English is another language, Anglo-Saxon... the thees/thys/thous are Early Modern English) and VERY few people write this correctly. You can write nobly without resorting to absolutely terrible Early Modern English. Do NOT use it if you do not know the rules about it. Reading Lord of the Rings will also show you that VERY noble characters, such as Aragorn, Faramir, and Theoden, NEVER used this language EXCEPT for very, very formal situations. So I beg you reconsider this point of advice, it just butchers English more often than not, and does *not* follow lore most of the time. And don't call Early Modern English 'Old English', it makes linguistic majors cry

Not really... For the first one, read Chapter Three of the Hobbit to see how Tolkien's Elves and Elrond treated Dwarves, as well as Chapt 1 of Book 2 of FOTR, 'Many Meetings'. For Hobbits welcome in the Mark, please refer to King Theoden and Merry's meeting in front of Isengard and how the Rohirrim actually *know* about hobbits, the Holbytlan. Gondor it is hard to say, as the only people we saw come in before the war was Gandalf and Pippin. I do not think you can make such claims of lore-- they are but your own interpretation, and as I said before, what is lore-breaking and what is sticking to lore varies greatly from individiual to individual.

I actually agree here, and it bugs me so much seeing the Obvious Rangers in the Pony, but eh, their character, their life. I just wanted to say that the actual singular form is Dunadan, not Dunedan ((Dúnadan and Dúnedain if you want to be REALLY picky, but most people do not expect the accent nor condemn its absence)).
    You know what.... You made my day, by bringing the purpose of why I created the post to life. It brings corrections of errors, which I actually adore, surprisingly. You also included several other factors that I did not think about or include, such as about when people start roleplaying. Personally, I can not recall how or why I started roleplaying, so it's never been anything big to me. You also included your opinions, which I also love, and you gave how you know the key RP terms, which guess what.... I also adore xD

If it seemed sarcastic to you, I assure you it wasn't, even when I say it made my day... Because, well, my life is rather dull mostly.... Well, not really. It's simple, really, but truly and honestly, thanks for that addition.

You know what.... You made my day, by bringing the purpose of why I created the post to life. It brings corrections of errors, which I actually adore, surprisingly. You also included several other factors that I did not think about or include, such as about when people start roleplaying. Personally, I can not recall how or why I started roleplaying, so it's never been anything big to me. You also included your opinions, which I also love, and you gave how you know the key RP terms, which guess what.... I also adore xD

If it seemed sarcastic to you, I assure you it wasn't, even when I say it made my day... Because, well, my life is rather dull mostly.... Well, not really. It's simple, really, but truly and honestly, thanks for that addition.
    Well! That's lovely I am glad you took it so well, a friend of mine pointed out how it may sound rather harsh when that was not my intent, just emphatic because I am a very emphatic person.

Cheers!

RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

I don't know what I could add to the discussion that's not been covered, other than people should be encouraged to roleplay even if it's simply at the level of some IC chat "Let us ride forth and smite orcs before we go mining" as opposed to saying "Let's go do X skirmish and then I gotta collect more mats".

Thumbs up

For me, this has been the big draw for role-playing in the first place. Jumping in and responding to other players' input (and listening!) in a way that encourages me to get to know my characters. Ideas about their bio get fleshed out by other characters and events around him in a much more organic way. This approach has also helped me to want to learn about the lore by allowing me to understand where I want to place my attention and do research. It does help to have some parameters or ideas about what your character is about, at least concerning their personality. The most important thing though is to retain a willingness to try. In doing this, it helps to relax I think, not to be too eager and nervous and then overcompensate for this. By remaining open to the unknown you are better able to receive and validate what other participants are saying. Balance is key.

edit: Nothing is worse than an intolerant role-player who knows everything there is to know about the lore or X part of it and has no patience for other role-players' inexperience. It happens. Its painful to witness and is really unnecessary. It does more damage than good. Role-playing should also not be a way of testing other role-players' lore comprehension in such a way that one player lords themselves over another. Learning something along the way is great and makes for richer dialogue. Hopefully connections to other players are also made, but it should be fun and an extension of the game, not a game within the game.
    Last edited by Breeon; Feb 11 2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

Lightbulb There's more than one path to take, Frodo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aamu View Post
    I don't know what I could add to the discussion that's not been covered, other than people should be encouraged to roleplay even if it's simply at the level of some IC chat "Let us ride forth and smite orcs before we go mining" as opposed to saying "Let's go do X skirmish and then I gotta collect more mats".
    I agree.

I do have one thing to add though:
    It's also something very important to note that the OP's post is just one point of view on roleplaying. In no way should a new player wanting to start RPing for the first time think for a second they have to do any of the above to be a 'good RPer'. The OP is giving a good explanation and overview of one type. There are so many types, and they vary wildly in their application in-game.
    [center][I]"No, you are right. There is strength in these hobbits yet,
    and if they need to repel dangers from outside, they will do so."[/I]
    -Ranger Halros[/center]

2 Waterbank Road, Eryn Lelryn, Falathlorn Homesteads
    This guide kinda scares me away from even trying. I was contemplating making a character trying this out in one of the RP servers, but now I'm not so sure. :/

I don't have the ability to a lot of these things, being borderline dyslexic. So having to "speak" in a certain tone based on my background without using words like "it's" or "what's".

I'm prone to typos bad enough in regular chat where I can't fix it, I dunno if I could do this.
    Tarphindiel~Hu~100, Tolella~Mi~86, Ryeberry~Gu~80, Torfrik~Rk~80, Arindis~Be~60
    Meleras~Wd~50, Minethril~Ca~49, Diorwen~Ch~44, Indiria~Lm~38, Alanda~Bu~32
    And Fourteen Other Alts
    Founder of Gladden's "The Fellowship of the Ping"

Arrow Don't Give Up... TRY!

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    This guide kinda scares me away from even trying. I was contemplating making a character trying this out in one of the RP servers, but now I'm not so sure. :/

I don't have the ability to a lot of these things, being borderline dyslexic. So having to "speak" in a certain tone based on my background without using words like "it's" or "what's".

I'm prone to typos bad enough in regular chat where I can't fix it, I dunno if I could do this.

Don't be scared, this guide covers the FOUR YEARS of roleplaying that I (being ME) know and follow. This just helps the newer ones get an idea of what they could prove to be, one day.

And with character tones, they're always hard if all your characters are the same, but you get used to it, I would think. I know I did after practising for my khajiit in Eso ("Ak'kar likes moon sugar very much"), roleplaying a simple lesser noble ("Though shall learn.... In time." and even a farmer ("Aye, it be a fine day. But can ya wait to get sleepin'?")

Of course, this is rather complex stuff to jump right in to, and being dyslexic shouldn't really matter too much, so long as the others know what you're talking about. You could always just speak normally, anyway, (Which most do years after starting) and just stay like that, regardless.

Make sure you try it out, nevertheless, though.

Edit: I should also add that I also stuggle, too, at times. We all do
    Last edited by failed868; Feb 23 2014 at 03:51 AM. Reason: An important addition

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post

This for me is why for me the OP is just too much. In our kinship we have a member who is dyslexic, he plays his elf wonderfully! Yes he gets things muddled sometimes but it does not detract from the role-play or break the immersion.

Please give role-playing a go, find a good group to play with and take it from there. There is no one method to role-play especially in Turbines Middle Earth as you will see if you give it a go its all about respecting the players around you and coming together to have fun.

As the author of the OP wrote above he himself sometimes struggles with his role-play. I can say the same, i have been role-playing since 1977 but there are players on Laurelin who do it much better than myself.

If you just happen to be on Laurelin then send my main an IM ( Khalis ).
    Last edited by Khalis_Laurelin; Feb 23 2014 at 04:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast