We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Really liking Warden - had a few newbie questions

I really liked the 1st 20 levels as I had to think building up gambits and then masteries got added and now its a crazy amount of buttons to keep track of. I wish they kept the three skills and then maybe added some traits that would reduce the cool down on them, but I guess the learning curve makes the class really unique.

had a few questions hoping some vets can help with, I am only interested in leveling - no PvP and race is human:

1) Spear will be my only wep of choice with warden shield till level cap?
    2) I am planning on going red line heavy with maybe some blue for better survivability- is that a good mixture?
    3) I specced for better bleeds rather than physical mastery but for now I am hitting landscape mobs and it seems I don't use Dots much.
    4) anyone have a link to a good info or utube on running a warden that is after the recent changes? All the links I see are for before the big changes so the info seems out dated now?
    5) Should I avoid putting in resistance virtues for now and instead focusing on melee enhancing ones for mitigation, vitality agil etc?

Thank you

Deathwish

Quote Originally Posted by DeathWish View Post
    I really liked the 1st 20 levels as I had to think building up gambits and then masteries got added and now its a crazy amount of buttons to keep track of. I wish they kept the three skills and then maybe added some traits that would reduce the cool down on them, but I guess the learning curve makes the class really unique.

had a few questions hoping some vets can help with, I am only interested in leveling - no PvP and race is human:

2) I am planning on going red line heavy with maybe some blue for better survivability- is that a good mixture?
    3) I specced for better bleeds rather than physical mastery but for now I am hitting landscape mobs and it seems I don't use Dots much.
    4) anyone have a link to a good info or utube on running a warden that is after the recent changes? All the links I see are for before the big changes so the info seems out dated now?
    5) Should I avoid putting in resistance virtues for now and instead focusing on melee enhancing ones for mitigation, vitality agil etc?

Thank you

Deathwish
    Welcome to wardening. It took me 3 times before I finally stuck with it and I love it now. I'm only level 60 so take what answers I provide with that in mind.

1) There are several weapon choices available. Axe, hammer, sword, and I think mace. I use a spear because a) it's just my preference & b) I rp a lot and the spear is my characters chosen weapon.
    2) That's my spec, I went bleed and crit heavy and I can handle quite a bit up to 5-7 levels over me.
    3) I honestly think this may depend on the chosen gambit rotations. I try to drop 3 bleeds quick and then use the perservere line to bump my health. Multi mob encounter I use the power blow gambit (I think that's it, I know pictures better than names lol) and follow up with wall of steel for the aoe attack.
    4) Can't help here, I got all my info from here and trial and error.
    5) Tricky question. The old virtues are next to useless according to many at the higher levels. I have always slotted anything that helps with morale, armour, crit, or physical mit. I honestly can't tell you if they work or not but I slot them and let them go. Lol
    Holris of Landroval

Firstly Masteries definately make a difference, so it pays to learn how to use them. And to battle prep.

I am not at cap, but close. I play this toon more than any other in recent months.

1. I don't think the weapon choice makes a difference. Not while leveling. The spear does look cooler in warden hands though.

2. I run mostly maxed blue, I don't see much of a difference in speed of the kill, but definately have greater survive ability with morale taps and defence. The rest of my points are red. I have yellow alternative which I find useful for deeding.

3&4. No comment.

5. For virtues, I look for Mits both physical and tact. Armour. Vit and morale. After that agility, most gear later will offer more agility than virtues later, vitality also for that matter. So my point is that you should play with them and decide what works for you.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/072060000001a3e91/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    I GOT MILK.

1) Spears will probably be your best bet while levelling. It's been a long time, but I imagine almost all the quest reward weapons are spears.

2) Red + splash of Blue will be a very good spec for levelling.

3) I would stick with the bleed choice unless you aren't finding gear with mastery. When you need to fight a quest chain mini-boss, or some tougher enemies, you'll appreciate the extra DPS.

[EDIT] On second thought, the mastery might be a DPS gain early on because they are flat values. I'd go back to bleeds in the middle levels though.

4) Sadly, no.

5) I personally love the resistance virtues because there really is nowhere else to get that stat except Vitality. However, for levelling it should not be that important. Some people just slot their highest virtues, I would look at my character sheet and try to reinforce any weaknesses I saw there.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Hammund; Feb 03 2014 at 11:33 AM.

1. Wardens have access to all 1-handed weapons. Whichever weapon you choose comes down to personal preferences.

2. Red and blue always works, provided you like the melee.

3. Bleeds don't contribute much to killing landscape mobs. You may be able to get off 1 or 2 DOT ticks before the mob dies though.
    As with any DOT class, you obtain the greatest DPS when fighting mobs with large morale pools, which generally means fighting elites and above.

5. Virtues are becoming more of a personal preference. They don't influence your game much before virtue levels 5 or 6, although I think it is around virtue
    level 4 that you can observe any noticeable difference.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0d21600000007617a/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by DeathWish View Post

Thank you

Deathwish
    First off welcome to one of the most unique classes in any MMO I have ever played. I have been playing Warden since they came out in the Moria update. Lots of fun to play solo because nothing can touch you one on one. I can tell you stories of fights I have had with 500K Boss mobs on level that would bore you to tears(Poor mobs never stood a chance).

1: Spear is the way to go. With the trait line the bleed damage is vastly increased and will proc about half the time. Also it is what all the animations are designed around so yeah it looks the coolest
    2: Red line may be the best place to focus your efforts for now. Since HD broke tanking in the game blue line is a sort of safe way to take on 30-40 onlevel mobs at once and win but it takes for ever to kill them.
    3: If you are fighting Land scape mobs it is a good way to conserve power to stack bleeds on to half health and then just walk away an let the mob die on it's own. then again since the change power really isn't a problem any more.
    4:There really aren't any good links out there simply because everyone is trying to figure out how to play this class since tanking was broken in HD. Keep an eye out for one and maybe you can share it with the rest of us :-P
    5:Virtues I tended to focus on in the past were the resistance and Tactical mitigation ones. Don't worry so much about physical Mit as my Warden has been running Capped out physical mitigation since level 75. unless they have made some changes to the game that I missed the cap hits at 16,000 for medium armor. I would say sitting at about 14,500 to 15,000 would be lots as when you are in group play and need it someone always pops a scroll and bumps you up by about 1000 points.

general tips:

Memorize your gambits: this can be tricky for some people but it is vital for your play in the end game. if you have to look up on a sheet what skill you want to do before you can do it you are already dead. there are really only 3 types of gambits out there:
    1. the 2 skill bounce where you will hit one skill then a second then back to the first. these normally have a 3, 4, and 5, skill version
      -Example Conviction: Shield,Fist,Shield,fist,shield
    2. Straits. these ones use all 3 skills in a strait line. 1st skill, 2nd skill, 3rd skill, then back to the 1st. Again these will almost always make gambits at 3,4,and 5 skills
      -Example Unerring Strike: Spear,shield,fist,spear,shield
    3. the unique gambits. these ones are some of the best skills in the game because you have to memorize them but they can be very powerful. there are only a few of them so it shouldn't strain you brain to much.
      -Example Dark before dawn: Spear,Shield,spear,fist,spear

if you need a hand with them in the beginning the wiki has a great Quick Reference: http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ward...uick_Reference
    But again it is in your best interest to memorize these

Don't be afraid to challenge your self. Wardens are VERY tough to kill. If you see a 250K elite with 3 adds that is a couple of levels above you go give it a shot. Some of my most fun times where when I was doing Raid quests solo on level or standing toe to toe with the dragon on level without a healer and knowing that he couldn't touch me. Go out and kill the big stuff on level like maybe the 2 trolls at the door of Isengaurd(they only have a combined health of 1.75 million or so ;-) )

Hope with the rest of us that they can make us tanks again so that we have a roll to play in groups once more :-(

Have fun and take it slow

Wear sun screen!!

Hope that helps a bit and that you can come to love the class as much as I have over the last almost 6 years
    [b]Melnordan[/b]-Warden,[b]Melainel[/b]-Hunter,[b]Mellarain[/b]-Loremaster,[b]Zoltrix[/b]-Guardian,[b]Xabbu[/b]-Minstrel,[b]Melraindor[/b]-Runekeeper
    Pie anyone?