We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: I lost my job

I lost my job

I've been playing for a few years off and on. After a six month hiatus, I come back and realize I don't have a job anymore. Back when I was just starting, I made the decision that I wanted to make dyes. Back then, 5 black dyes would gain you about 1g per day on the AH, and as a low level player, I thought that was a pretty decent wage. I spent months leveling up my scholar and farming skills and working my way up through the ranks of the scholar's guild until I finally had the recipe to be able to make 5 per day. A 1g stipend was enough to become self-sustaining; buying all the mats I needed on AH with enough left over to buy the things I wanted. It wasn't glamorous or high paying, but I made enough to survive. Now, after I came back to the game, everything has skyrocketed in price. The cost of mats required to actually make my dyes are 100x more than what I actually make selling them. Right now, I have no reason to even attempt making dyes anymore unless they're for myself. I can't even make the scrolls and other items I used on a regular basis because the prices are just so unreasonable. So right now, I don't know what I'm going to do to actually make money for myself. I've never regretted choosing to be a scholar but I don't see much future in it anymore.

You know, I'm a scholar too but I don't have that problem since I also have a farmer, and that character supplies me with the mats for the dyes (except the black, of course). Consider making an alt a farmer? It's super easy to level up farming, you can knock out 6 tiers in one day.

Well, I have leveled up my farming skill but that doesn't help me with a lot of dye recipes. I'd still need to go out and find woad, indigo, sienna, etc. to make the dyes people actually pay money for. And farming doesn't help me make the scrolls and pots I use every time I go questing.

Quote Originally Posted by metallica442 View Post
    Well, I have leveled up my farming skill but that doesn't help me with a lot of dye recipes. I'd still need to go out and find woad, indigo, sienna, etc. to make the dyes people actually pay money for. And farming doesn't help me make the scrolls and pots I use every time I go questing.
    Woad and Indigo come from Wild Flower Field crits.

Cool play smarter not harder.

Not just Questing your scholar but questing any alts, you must keep drops
    on your alts to send to whoever needs/uses it.it's how my lvl 33 scholar is
    a master of the guild(westemnet) and has mastered tier 9,as well as having
    the guild scrolls in the bank to make whatever I want whenever the cooldown
    is done for any guild recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by metallica442 View Post
    I've been playing for a few years off and on. After a six month hiatus, I come back and realize I don't have a job anymore. Back when I was just starting, I made the decision that I wanted to make dyes. Back then, 5 black dyes would gain you about 1g per day on the AH, and as a low level player, I thought that was a pretty decent wage. I spent months leveling up my scholar and farming skills and working my way up through the ranks of the scholar's guild until I finally had the recipe to be able to make 5 per day. A 1g stipend was enough to become self-sustaining; buying all the mats I needed on AH with enough left over to buy the things I wanted. It wasn't glamorous or high paying, but I made enough to survive. Now, after I came back to the game, everything has skyrocketed in price. The cost of mats required to actually make my dyes are 100x more than what I actually make selling them. Right now, I have no reason to even attempt making dyes anymore unless they're for myself. I can't even make the scrolls and other items I used on a regular basis because the prices are just so unreasonable. So right now, I don't know what I'm going to do to actually make money for myself. I've never regretted choosing to be a scholar but I don't see much future in it anymore.
    My first toon on any server was a scholar too. I love it. It's a great job, the scrolls of battle lore and warding lore sell well too at level 20, 40, and 60 too, not just at max. But having a high level Explorer is so worth it for support. And it's never been easier to take a tank class through the levels for the purpose of gathering materials. Level 95's now have money on the order of 1000g in their possession, even if they're not trying too hard, which is why prices have skyrocketed. To make them think twice, something has to be about 25g-100g in price. On the plus side, an explorer can be in the Tailor guild and makes legendary bridles. As a crafter, you won't care much about the raiding content, but I will say that as a fellow crafter, it took me years to even attempt the Moria access quest for the first time and when I did, it was like "really? that was it?" It's a total non-issue. The hard part is figuring out the forgemaster/relicmaster people and what you can do with them. Bleh. I like hard crafts I guess, my second craft was jeweler.

Anyway, you can at least go back to crimson... sienna comes from copper deposits which any level 12ish explorer can gather.

Also, farming can be very lucrative now. There's a complicated ingredient at Tier 9 Cooking that requires both Leeks and Carrots, which can be annoying to farm up yourself, then cook... if you'd rather be raiding... Even if your farmer is not Eastenmet or westenmet yet, you can do those two and make some cash. I've also never had trouble selling any of the onions, or any of the berries. Obviously dye making supplies will still go for gold. I just sold 2 juicy strawberries for 1g. That's a good living too.
    Last edited by gripply; Jan 18 2014 at 12:00 AM.

I lost my job too.

I'm a jeweller.

What's the point of making jewellery when Big Battles stuff trumps pretty much everything you have?

As far as I can see, weaponsmiths, woodworkers, farmers and particularly tailors and metalsmiths still have stuff to do. But what about scholars and jewellers?
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

I always felt Scholar should have had guild recipes for the crafting journals. It was their singles recipe but was not added like all other singles in all other crafting choices.

If you want to make money as a scholar, just farm the materials and sell them. Far more profitable, in my experience. While dyes were selling for 1-2g *apiece* back when 1g was a lot of money, there's just not a whole lot of profit in them anymore unless you're using your own materials rather than buying them off the AH.

(I just had flashbacks to 2007, setting my alarm clock for 4am to catch the end of an auction for Neekerbreeker Ichor. )
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...