We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    I personally avoid the PP in the evenings, as I find some of the RP I have previously witnessed in and around that area distressing and it has taken a massive effort on my part not to get involved. I'm talking about the blatant abuse towards female characters, with slap and other violent emotes being used and dialogue that is obviously designed to tell a story of domestic violence.

    I don't understand why anyone would want to RP being an abused woman, unless it is a misogynistic male behind the female character. Disgusting behaviour.

    To the RP 'experts' in this thread.....is that acceptable to you?
    [URL="http://www.sigcreator.com/"]Proud Officer and band member of 'Under The Sunlit Sky'

    [IMG]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/56621691lotro_lotro08.png[/IMG][/URL]

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post

    I say to you this: There is no difference between the emotes of "I stab you with my knife." and "I remove a brooch from your coinpurse and switch it with candy."
    Both those emotes are godmodes, whether or not one pertains to character death.
    Is it THAT hard to just change to using /e attempts to subtly slip a hand into a coinpurse.
    You honestly believe that someone emoting the murder of someone is no different than the taking of a few coins as a prank? Are you serious? You have just established for fact now that you clearly have absolutely no concept whatsoever what God Moding really is. The two examples are completely different. One results in a detrimental effect to the extreme, and the other is something just as easily ignored. Let me assure you, that despite what you believe to the contrary, apples are indeed not the same as oranges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    You have stated that you are not new to RP; no, indeed you have extensive experience on UO as a drow. You must know, then, that it will take time and patience from you, as you slowly RP and make a reputation for your character through that. Even players who've been here a long time have to go through the same process when making a new alt to RP with.
    No, what I said was I have been RP'ing in MMO's since UO. Ordinarily I would spare you the history lesson, but you clearly need a refresher. Ultima Online is the great Grand Daddy of all Modern MMORPG's. I was one of the pre-alpha testers of that game, and played it until DAoC came out. I made mention of it, because it is the more relevant to Lotro than making mention of a text based MUD. Fact of the matter is, I've been "RP'ing" in computer games since the days those games required punch cards and teletype machines. In addition I also have over three decades worth of experience in D&D RP, LARP, and Rennfest RP. Trust me when I say, I am well aware of what the term God Moding means and I an definitely aware of what it implies.

    I am sorry, but who exactly put you or the person who elected to accost me last evening in charge of deciding what process a person has to go through in order to RP on this server? Sounds like a pretty arrogant statement to me. Perhaps that kind of attitude is better saved for those in your Kin where you have all agreed to the rules in advance. No one, regardless of how long they have been playing a game has the right to inflict their specific interpretation of the rules for RP on someone else, and/or chastise and harass them for not being aware of them. That is simply bad form.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    On "how to properly address someone the first time in RP", in my opinion, you start small, with a decent RP Hook. "Hello, I'm new in town, can you help me?" Something like that. I'm sorry if your first-night grand pickpocket spree was ruined, but we honestly were trying to help you learn a better and smoother way to RP. If you don't want to, you certainly don't have to. Do it whatever way you like, and find people who like it that way.
    Here you missed the mark completely. Nowhere did I inquire as to how one should address someone when actually RPing. I am well aware of how to go about doing that. Whether my methods may differ from yours is not really the point here. What I asked was, "Do you think it is appropriate for a stranger not involved in an RP situation to verbally accost someone in tells, and then persist regardless of the fact that they were asked to stop on numerous occasions? Do you think it is okay for someone to belittle or ridicule the RP attempts of someone they don't know?" I mean seriously, what business was it of theirs? They were being a ne'erdowell busybody and forcibly injecting themselves into a situation that didn't concern them. You've made it painfully clear in your previous posts that you think this kind of behavior was perfectly acceptable. There is no way we are ever going to be in agreement on this point.

    You keep saying "We" but I have never spoken to you or your character in game, be it OOC or IC. I honestly have no idea whatsoever who you are. I had one conversation with one person, and unless you have two separate forum accounts with two separate names, you are not the same person who I had words with last night. Obviously what happened to me last night is more common than I'd care to admit because you clearly had a similar conversation with someone other than myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    Most of the "unwritten" rules are actually all over the internet and Googleable, and there are many resources available for a player who wants to improve and have smoother RP. However, you won't find a comprehensive thing, because RP is not one single thing, and it never will be.
    Clearly the term "unwritten" doesn't mean what you think it means either. I am well aware of general RP conventions. As I have stated previously I am well versed and experienced in the matter. That said, there is no one "be all, end all" ruleset when it comes to RP. You simply don't get to jump on someone's back simply because you feel they aren't following your exact interpretation of these guidelines, and you most certainly don't have the right to harass someone who did nothing to you personally. If you sincerely believe that cyber bullying someone into RP'ing your way and only your way is a proper means to create a happy, fun and enjoyable RP community, it would behoove you to not call yourself a RP'er, because you clearly have no idea what RP is all about.

    Have fun !
    Last edited by Zombie_Java_Joe; Feb 01 2014 at 06:02 AM.

  3. #28
    It is far from my intent to accuse you of anything but that which you claim was the original purpose in posting. That said, the opening post may have been to inquire as to the culture of this server and its RPers. It does not read as such, hence the responses you've gotten from various people trying to both correct the off colored and (frankly) uncharacteristic portrayals of those who were genuinely interested in helping you adapt to this community. The entire first post appeared to bespeak a displeasure at an oppressive party attempting to cause you to conform to what you feel are not ideal standards.

    It's not so pleasant to have the intent misread as something more malicious and demeaning than it is, as I'm sure you are quite able to see now.

    The hostilities that have ensued since have been entirely on your part, and have been done with far more hauteur and contempt than anything put forth by those you accuse of such unseemly arrogance. I think, instead, what you can take from this thread in answer to the original question:

    Yes. The RP on this server includes those who will go out of their way to try and help people find a better niche.

    The RPers on this server will encourage you to help you fall into the 'cliques' that already exist, so you aren't on the outside looking in.

    As quickly as they will offer pointers for this, they'll offer to help you find a kin you're suited for. Most of the time, you'll even find these same people trying to GIVE you the surplus of crafting supplies in one of their 12 bank alts.

    There's a Watch, not in a single kin, employed by a Justice who was voted in by the playership years ago. You don't see anyone else posing as the Watch but them, because it is agreed upon that this is the case. Because the community, as a whole, agrees with it. Such is also extended to the healers in the infirmary.

    It's a community. It's a very cohesive community with some amazing people in it. People aren't messaging you to be condescending. They aren't trying to elevate their own standing by belittling you. They aren't doing this to make their day better. At least not the people in question.

    In all my years of RP, through all the games and all the mediums, I have never seen such cooperation by and large. Ever. Obviously, there are plenty of people who can be problematic to RP with and do godmod. They do so in a format not unlike your own, which is very likely what triggered the response. Even if it wasn't the case.

    I do hope you find your niche in the community if you opt to stay. I do hope that you come to understand that the intent was never of a malicious nature. I'm sorry you feel slighted, but knowing well the people who approached you, I know that it was entirely well meaning aid being offered by an established pinnacle of the community. Not some jerk trying to gain some personal points and laugh at 'some idiot', who is clearly not an idiot at all.

    Good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for. We have a lot to offer; accept it from the outreached hands, not the backhanded derision you seem inclined to see it as. Or, if it's overwhelming, I hope you find an RP server which can better suit what you're looking for.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny SoCal, USA
    Posts
    6,424
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxV View Post
    I personally avoid the PP in the evenings, as I find some of the RP I have previously witnessed in and around that area distressing and it has taken a massive effort on my part not to get involved. I'm talking about the blatant abuse towards female characters, with slap and other violent emotes being used and dialogue that is obviously designed to tell a story of domestic violence.

    I don't understand why anyone would want to RP being an abused woman, unless it is a misogynistic male behind the female character. Disgusting behaviour.

    To the RP 'experts' in this thread.....is that acceptable to you?
    I never proclaimed myself an expert. It does not take an expert to give advice on a trait that one has personally seen other new RPers completely shunned by every other RPer in the vicinity. New RPers playing thieves is a common trope *shrug*

    As for acceptable, not at all, some people really push the PG-13 limit and I think it should be done elsewhere. But for THIS scenario... frankly put, I don't see this at all in the Pony. People who use the /slap emote tend to only use the emote and don't actually RP. They're either completely OOC slapping friends (this happens to male toons and female toons regularly) or they're spamming the slap emote to grief RPers around them which simply leads them to /ignore.

    As for RPing an abused woman, would you say the same thing about an actress acting an abused woman on-stage or in film? I do not have an abused character, personally, but assuming that people who play such a thing are just messed up is more or less equivalent to saying that an actress playing that part in any make-believe drama is messed up. If that is what you believe, then all right. People who tend to write it well have a VERY VERY solid wall of fiction and reality, just like stage actors do. It's only a different medium of telling a story. My two cents.

    Cheers.

    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle
    Landroval
    : LAERLIN (Bio + Drawings) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND (Bio + Drawing) • NETHAEL

  5. #30
    *nods at Dew.Drop*

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew.Drop View Post
    I do hope that you come to understand that the intent was never of a malicious nature. I'm sorry you feel slighted, but knowing well the people who approached you, I know that it was entirely well meaning aid being offered by an established pinnacle of the community. Not some jerk trying to gain some personal points and laugh at 'some idiot', who is clearly not an idiot at all.
    While I completely appreciate your insight into the matter, I've have never been one to assume that just because someone has good intent with me that they share that same good intent with strangers. I have known some incredibly charitable individuals in my life who seem to also think that it is completely acceptable to treat their wait staff at a restaurant as though they are beneath them simply because they are strangers.

    If you had been privy to the conversation as it went down you would surely understand why I found the entire affair extremely unpalatable, and found the behavior of this particular busybody to be reprehensible. Judging from what another has already posted, this is not the first time this "pinnacle" of yours has accosted a RPer new to the server in a manner they found displeasing. Mine was clearly not an isolated incident because the other player's run in happened two years ago. That definitely says something about the person in question now doesn't it?

    I should also likewise state that I am not foolish enough to hold an entire server accountable for the actions of one individual. You are correct, I have found many wonderful people and witnessed some truly inspiring RP and music on this server. It was for this very reason I have elected to remain, and continue forward despite my one bad experience. I am sorry but I have an extremely low tolerance for busybodies who feel the need to inject themselves into situations which do not concern them directly. Thank you for taking the time to address my issues. I can honestly say, that you are only one of three people in this thread who have addressed my concerns in a non threatening and non judgmental manner. I thank you for that.

    Have fun !
    Last edited by Zombie_Java_Joe; Feb 01 2014 at 06:30 AM.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_Java_Joe View Post
    While I completely appreciate your insight into the matter, I've have never been one to assume that just because someone has good intent with me that they share that same good intent with strangers. I have known some incredibly charitable individuals in my life who seem to also think that is is completely acceptable to treat their wait staff at a restaurant as though they are beneath them simply because they are strangers.

    If you had been privy to the conversation as it went down you would surely understand why I found the entire affair extremely unpalatable, and found the behavior of this particular busybody to be reprehensible. Judging from what another has already posted, this is not the first time this "pinnacle" of yours has accosted a RPer new to the server in a manner they found displeasing. Mine was clearly not an isolated incident because the other player's run in happened two years ago. That definitely says something about the person in question now doesn't it?

    Have fun !
    *Yawns* You are wrong. Good night.
    Last edited by Hattr; Feb 01 2014 at 06:31 AM.

  8. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Laire View Post
    I never proclaimed myself an expert. It does not take an expert to give advice on a trait that one has personally seen other new RPers completely shunned by every other RPer in the vicinity. New RPers playing thieves is a common trope *shrug*

    As for acceptable, not at all, some people really push the PG-13 limit and I think it should be done elsewhere. But for THIS scenario... frankly put, I don't see this at all in the Pony. People who use the /slap emote tend to only use the emote and don't actually RP. They're either completely OOC slapping friends (this happens to male toons and female toons regularly) or they're spamming the slap emote to grief RPers around them which simply leads them to /ignore.

    As for RPing an abused woman, would you say the same thing about an actress acting an abused woman on-stage or in film? I do not have an abused character, personally, but assuming that people who play such a thing are just messed up is more or less equivalent to saying that an actress playing that part in any make-believe drama is messed up. If that is what you believe, then all right. People who tend to write it well have a VERY VERY solid wall of fiction and reality, just like stage actors do. It's only a different medium of telling a story. My two cents.

    Cheers.
    The difference is, if I want to go see a film about an abused woman, I have that choice. Standing outside the pp reading mail and having my chat screen fill up with a man shouting abuse and threatening/emoting violence at 2 women for not listening to him and being idiots, is not something I expect to witness in a LOTR game with a rating of 13 lol.

    I'm not saying it happens all the time, it just so happens that each time i've been in game early in the morning (so 8am my time, 3am server time) and have had reason to be by the Pony, this is the kind of thing I have witnessed, and it has put me off attempting any kind of RP in the area myself. If people want to RP that way then fine, I did not mean to suggest they are all messed up, but can they not keep it in a private channel if the content is not suitable for a public audience?
    [URL="http://www.sigcreator.com/"]Proud Officer and band member of 'Under The Sunlit Sky'

    [IMG]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/56621691lotro_lotro08.png[/IMG][/URL]

  9. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxV View Post
    The difference is, if I want to go see a film about an abused woman, I have that choice. Standing outside the pp reading mail and having my chat screen fill up with a man shouting abuse and threatening/emoting violence at 2 women for not listening to him and being idiots, is not something I expect to witness in a LOTR game with a rating of 13 lol.

    I'm not saying it happens all the time, it just so happens that each time i've been in game early in the morning (so 8am my time, 3am server time) and have had reason to be by the Pony, this is the kind of thing I have witnessed, and it has put me off attempting any kind of RP in the area myself. If people want to RP that way then fine, I did not mean to suggest they are all messed up, but can they not keep it in a private channel if the content is not suitable for a public audience?
    I think this is an interesting point of discussion, but not the point of this thread. It may behoove you to start a new one which can be focused entirely on the philosophical views on the matter. It is also a thread I would be interested in seeing evolve and perhaps aid us in coming to terms and understand conflicting views. Even if it only amounts to people agreeing to disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_Java_Joe View Post
    While I completely appreciate your insight into the matter, I've have never been one to assume that just because someone has good intent with me that they share that same good intent with strangers. I have known some incredibly charitable individuals in my life who seem to also think that it is completely acceptable to treat their wait staff at a restaurant as though they are beneath them simply because they are strangers.

    If you had been privy to the conversation as it went down you would surely understand why I found the entire affair extremely unpalatable, and found the behavior of this particular busybody to be reprehensible. Judging from what another has already posted, this is not the first time this "pinnacle" of yours has accosted a RPer new to the server in a manner they found displeasing. Mine was clearly not an isolated incident because the other player's run in happened two years ago. That definitely says something about the person in question now doesn't it?

    I should also likewise state that I am not foolish enough to hold an entire server accountable for the actions of one individual. You are correct, I have found many wonderful people and witnessed some truly inspiring RP and music on this server. It was for this very reason I have elected to remain, and continue forward despite my one bad experience. I am sorry but I have an extremely low tolerance for busybodies who feel the need to inject themselves into situations which do not concern them directly. Thank you for taking the time to address my issues. I can honestly say, that you are only one of three people in this thread who have addressed my concerns in a non threatening and non judgmental manner. I thank you for that.

    Have fun !
    I have reread the thread twice now, and I am afraid I have to point out that the person who has had shared experiences was not, in fact, stating that the person who offended you is one and the same, if we're splitting hairs. Though, I would sooner call into question the discussion you have just opened up with your response to me.

    It'd already been surmised that the purpose of the thread, which you were very quick to explain wasn't what everyone else thought it was, had been regarding the community itself.

    I stand by my sentiment regarding the person you feel accosted you. I know there is absolutely no way I will change your mind, just as you will never change mine. However, after watching nearly any post disagreeing with your views or methods being treated with contempt and disproportionate animosity, I can infer how the conversation went just based on how I know this individual to react and what I have seen from you here. Ultimately, you are no more right in any of this than you think she is.

    Even if I didn't know her... this is where it all gets squicky.

    This was a disagreement between two people, which you should never have hung up in public to the extent you are.

    It's one thing to be upset about how you perceived inflection in opening conversation, which sounds like it went downhill really quick. That is unfortunate. Opening discussion to determine whether or not something that caused you distress is common is perfectly reasonable. Seeking affirmation, even, for your method honed by years of role play is perfectly acceptable. It's even all right to reference that particular person repeatedly WHEN REACHING YOUR POINT.

    Demonizing someone continuously because of, at worse, a faux pas is not okay. Pressing on and on how horrible of an individual this stranger is does not belong on a forum, aired like your filthy laundry. No matter how angry you are at them. Even IF it was a full on brutal assault.

    Ripping apart almost every person who says anything to respectfully disagree with you doesn't elevate your standing nor does it make you more intelligent. Even if eloquently put. Though, I do understand it can be very difficult to accept constructive criticism or views that feel as though they invalidate your ideals and I know how easy it is to become defensive.

    I would like to pose the option now for all parties to agree to disagree. To go our separate ways.

    If you honestly want to find resolution, you can contact me ingame. I make no promises, but I am very happy to aid in at least attempting to reach reconciliation to avoid future unfavorable encounters between all parties in question. PM me for a list of my characters if you have any such interest.

    If you don't, then please cease the excrement-flinging. That's what an ignore list is for. That sort of negativity is not something this community needs because it can cause unnecessary fissures and is certainly unbecoming of an experienced adult. Which, it appears all parties in question are. Let's all at least act the part.

    You were upset. I can appreciate that. We don't have to agree on all the same things, and that's the wonderful thing about individuals. Variety is wonderful, but comes with it disadvantages.

    I honestly don't see how this thread can be constructive at this point, except by way of an apology. If you want to step up and be the bigger person, awesome.

    If not, drop it.
    Last edited by Dew.Drop; Feb 01 2014 at 08:03 AM.

  10. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_Java_Joe View Post
    You honestly believe that someone emoting the murder of someone is no different than the taking of a few coins as a prank? Are you serious? You have just established for fact now that you clearly have absolutely no concept whatsoever what God Moding really is. The two examples are completely different. One results in a detrimental effect to the extreme, and the other is something just as easily ignored.
    An "I murder you" emote can be ignored just the same as an "I pickpocket you" emote. So in that respect, yes, they are the same.

    A supernatural deity could murder you just as easily as he could remove something from your pocket, and you'd have no ability to prevent either one. So in that respect also, they are the same.

    Philosophically, the idea of "godmoding" can easily encompass both murder and pickpocketing. It has nothing to do with the seriousness or finality of the act. It's stating the outcome without consent, forcing your version of reality on the other person, that is objectionable.

    Let me assure you, that despite what you believe to the contrary, apples are indeed not the same as oranges.
    Why all the defensiveness, contempt and derision? All I see in this thread are people trying to engage you respectfully, and you doing the opposite. I understand that you felt slighted by Laire's presumption last night that you were a noob. But that's no reason to be hostile to everyone else.
    Last edited by Thurallor; Feb 01 2014 at 08:14 AM.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew.Drop View Post
    I have reread the thread twice now, and I am afraid I have to point out that the person who has had shared experiences was not, in fact, stating that the person who offended you is one and the same, if we're splitting hairs. Though, I would sooner call into question the discussion you have just opened up with your response to me.
    In all fairness Dewdrop, I don't know where you came by the notion that the person in both mine and the others poster's experience were not one and the same. Unlike the other poster I have not once called out anyone by name other than to address them directly in a reply, but they are in fact the same person, and the person in my case has posted parts of our conversation themselves which made me fully aware it was that person I spoke with. I think seeing as how I am the one who actually was party to the conversation, and you were not, the polite thing to do is to defer to my judgment when it comes to who I was talking with, and who I was not.

    I have no doubt why you are confused, especially seeing as there seems to be two people posting in this thread who think they both took part in that particular conversation. I can assure you I had only one conversation, with one person on this matter, and I have no idea what the other individual is talking about. I too consider it bad form to name names and call out someone by name in forum post for something they did in game, which is why I have refrained from using the person's name in any of my posts. No doubt having read the thread twice as you say, you will have certainly noticed that.

    As for "demonizing" someone, I likewise fail to see how I am any more guilty of that than any of this person's acquaintances who have elected to chime in on their behalf in this thread and treat me in a similar fashion. If it truly is your intent to be fair and impartial, then surely you should also share your admonishments equally as well, and not appear to be playing favorites just because you know one person well and do not know the other. Just saying.

    Seeing as I was the one slighted it hardly seems my responsibility to step up and be the "bigger person" in this scenario. I didn't stick my nose in someone elses business, they chose to stick theirs into mine. I was more than happy to drop the matter earlier today, before the pile on began, and I said as much. I am sorry but I refuse to back down when I feel I am being bullied. That is not how I was taught to deal with bullies whether they are on a forum, in real life, mean, or politely charming. I am sure you can understand why I find the notion of playing both the victim and the bigger person distasteful. Trust me when I say I would have no issue with a Mod closing and deleting this thread, as I too see it serving no beneficial purpose at this point.

    Have fun !

  12. #37
    Thank you for the polite response. It's nice to know that we can agree to disagree in a civil manner. Also, I apologize. I was of the assumption that it was one of the people who had posted in this thread. Now that it has been inferred that I was mistaken on that, then I do not know who it was you spoke with (though it appeared to be quite clear early on). Please strike my previous defenses of the person in question, provided it wasn't one of the aforementioned two people in the thread. If it was, they still stand.

    I am going to correct a couple of misconceptions derived by my poor communication skills:

    First, I know that it is impossible for me to be impartial to this seeing as how I do not know you and do know the two people of whom I believed you to be speaking of at the time. That I am in agreement with. However, it doesn't mean that I am automatically going to determine that you're completely wrong. My friends can be wrong, too. The only thing I have to go off is what I have seen and how you appear to approach any views contrary to your own. That is literally all I have to go off of for any means of understanding your stance.

    The second is that I wasn't quite calling for an apology between you and the person you feel bullied you. By now I've already figured that was out of the question.

    I was calling for an apology regarding the hostilities towards those who respectfully offered their thoughts on a story with intent difficult to follow. I was calling for an apology for the defensive and abrasive commentary toward well-meaning people attempting to partake in the discussion as it appeared to be geared towards. I was also calling for an apology from anyone in this thread who may have responded in a way that would never be acceptable in a face-to-face discussion, as is typical of forums. Not just you. Though by far, you have been nothing but hostile until the second page... even from an outside perspective of one who was trying in earnest to gain better insight to your side.

    I'm sorry it wasn't wasn't more clear. Unfortunately, communication on the internet is robbed both of inflection as well as social cues to show whether or not the intent is conveyed, and I am not as good at communication as I could be.

    I hope this cleared up any confusion of my intent.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew.Drop View Post
    I think this is an interesting point of discussion, but not the point of this thread. It may behoove you to start a new one which can be focused entirely on the philosophical views on the matter. It is also a thread I would be interested in seeing evolve and perhaps aid us in coming to terms and understand conflicting views. Even if it only amounts to people agreeing to disagree.
    You're quite right, and I apologise for derailing the thread

    I'm not sure if i'll start another thread on the subject, as I am still feeling quite annoyed by it, so probably best left alone
    [URL="http://www.sigcreator.com/"]Proud Officer and band member of 'Under The Sunlit Sky'

    [IMG]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/56621691lotro_lotro08.png[/IMG][/URL]

  14. #39
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...aurelin-Server

    Poweremoting - Using your emotes ((/me)) to control a different character without their permission. If it was discussed OOC beforehand that you could control them to say... Have their hand cut off, then you would be able to do so, so long as you make everyone else in attendance aware of this.

    Written by someone else on the other RP server. The example is a bit extreme but makes the point. Using an emote that has a pre-determined outcome is bad form and considered power emoting or godmoding, semantics aside. By the OP's own admission he used an emote with 4 distinct actions and a pre-determined outcome and it was based on knowledge he could not have had about the person. The simple fix would've been to just add two words to the whole thing. X "attempts to" ##### Y. Problem solved, the intended victim now has the ability react as they choose, ie: let the theft continue or catch the perpetrator in the act.

    As far as poor people being in the tavern, maybe they spent their last coin on a meal. The OP assumes a lot in the original theft attempts and then his attempts at defense of the actions when it is made abundantly clear that the method was unacceptable.

    I know the intended victim and am acquainted with the "rp lawyer", they are both very accommodating in my experience but to throw emotes that takes control away from the other party, then getting snotty and defensive when the majority are against the method used will not ingratiate you to the community.
    Holris of Landroval

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    563
    I "butt in" when I see someone doing a "power pose" (since the term godmoding offended, I'll use that one, since it's just as applicable), I send a /tell, asking them if they're aware of what they just did, and if they'd like some tips on how to avoid it.

    50% of the time, I get back a polite "Oh, I'm new! Sorry! How can I do a better one?" and all is well. 40% of the time, there's no reply. 10% of the time, I'll get back one like the OP's, which essentially says "I've been RPing like this for X years! How dare you tell me anything!!!"

    You know what? I've been RPing for 25 years. Pen and Paper RPGs with dice, text-based MUSHes and MUDs, PBEM/PbP, and on to MMOs in 2004. That, and $5, will get me a medium latte at Starbucks.

    I still can't drop myself into the middle of a long-running RP community or campaign and then demand people do things my way, the way you seem to be doing. However, I hope your short time on our server has some enjoyable moments for you.
    Favorite Dev Quote from 2009: Graal: The lack of an instant threat catch up skill is one of the differences in tanking between Wardens and Guardians, just like Wardens dont have a easily used forced taunt. It is unlikely, but not impossible that this will change. Bottom line...Dont die.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload