We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Vol 1, BOok 15, ch12 One Hope Remains

    Any suggestions for a solo player taking on Mordrambor? I am doing it solo as a hunter and just can't seem to do much damage to the guy and Narmelleth dies. I've completed this one before on other toons but it just seems to be a lot tougher than it should be. Perhaps someone has discovered a good tactic? My hunter is lvl 56, so he is actually a bit overlevel for the quest. He has reasonable equipment and is using LIs.
    Last edited by Paragnosis; Jan 30 2014 at 12:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragnosis View Post
    Any suggestions for a solo player taking on Mordrambor? I am doing it solo as a hunter and just can't seem to do much damage to the guy and Narmelleth dies. I've completed this one before on other toons but it just seems to be a lot tougher than it should be. Perhaps someone has discovered a good tactic? My hunter is lvl 56, so he is actually a bit overlevel for the quest. He has reasonable equipment and is using LIs.
    Is this one of the ones that now has both a solo and a fellowship mode? If so, make sure you're in the right one.

    In any case, Narmeleth will occasionally put a buff on a player which allows that player to do normal damage to Mordrambor. If you don't have the buff, you won't hit him very hard. As a hunter, you may be setting up too far away from where Narm stands for her to put the buff on you. Try to position yourself so that you can hit Mordy when you have the buff (it's called "Narmeleth's Boon", and the icon looks like her face), but so you can also hit any fire grims that might be attacking you or her.

    Mordrambor will also put spells on you which cause explosions of fiery distributed (splash) damage which can also hit Narm if you're standing too close to her when they go off.

    Back in the old days before the solo-fication of the Epic this was one of the toughest 6-person fights in the game, because of the coordination needed to manage the different buffs and debuffs that Narmeleth and Mordrambor throw around.

  3. #3
    The buff does not increase your damage output. It causes Mordramor to hurt himself when he hits you with a physical attack. His physical attacks are melee attacks. When you get the buff, you need to run up to Mordramor. When you get the "you are going to die when the timer runs out" debuff. You need to run back to Narmeleth to get this debuff removed. In process of removing the debuff Narmeleth will put the reflection buff on you.

    In the original implementation, Mordramor had a 100% mitigation against our attacks. We could not hurt him. The entire battle was one of killing Grims. Having a player run between Narmeleth and Mordramor. We put the Guardian out in the open. Everybody else would hide behind the pillar out of line of sight. The healers would heal the Guardian as the Guardian ran back and forth. Lore Master feed power to Narmeleth. Hunters would kill the Grims. If you had other melees like Champions, they could take turns running back and forth to give the Guardian a rest. It would take a long time. Maybe 10 minutes of this running back and forth.

    The good news is that Turbine cut Mordramor's mitigation. If you have a high enough DPS as a Hunter. You can stand next to Narmeleth and eventually kill Mordramor with ranged fire. It takes a very long time. You have to generate 10 or more points of damage to cause one point to Mordramor.

    You go in there with six Hunters. It does not take long to pin cushion him with arrows.

    Back when this instance came out in 2008 it was the highest instance in the game at its level. Many people waited to level 60 to do it. You will still wipe or have Narmeleth die on you. Mordrambor is the easy first challenge. It gets more difficult as you go. Especially for a Hunter. Several of my Hunter friends were never able to solo the easy version of this instance at 65 back before Rise of Isengard. I had to take my Guardian to help them.

    Of course, our characters are extremely strong thanks to the Helms Deep changes. This instance is a lot easier at the moment than it was back in 2010 or so after it was made solo friendly.
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Jan 30 2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ioffryd View Post
    Is this one of the ones that now has both a solo and a fellowship mode? If so, make sure you're in the right one.

    In any case, Narmeleth will occasionally put a buff on a player which allows that player to do normal damage to Mordrambor. If you don't have the buff, you won't hit him very hard. As a hunter, you may be setting up too far away from where Narm stands for her to put the buff on you. Try to position yourself so that you can hit Mordy when you have the buff (it's called "Narmeleth's Boon", and the icon looks like her face), but so you can also hit any fire grims that might be attacking you or her.

    Mordrambor will also put spells on you which cause explosions of fiery distributed (splash) damage which can also hit Narm if you're standing too close to her when they go off.

    Back in the old days before the solo-fication of the Epic this was one of the toughest 6-person fights in the game, because of the coordination needed to manage the different buffs and debuffs that Narmeleth and Mordrambor throw around.
    This was very helpful. One of my prior mistakes was not killing the fire grims until they had weakened Narmelleth considerably. Based on your advice I positioned myself so that she was not affected when Mordrambor hit me, so her morale never dropped. While I ran back to her to get his mark removed I never noticed that she did anything to increase my damage. Instead I simply fired arrows at him from a distance that kept me out of his melee range. In prior attempts I had power problems from using my heavy ranged attacks, so this time I simply relied on auto-attack most of the time, with an occasional penetrating strike. This worked, although it took some time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,699
    Another thing about this instance is that after you kill Mordrambor, the next few rooms, it's very easy for Narmeleth to get herself killed, much more so than the earlier trash mobs, so don't let down your guard.

    I spent almost a half hour whittling away Mordrambor at range (not knowing the trick about closing) and then had her die in the next room. Never was more frustrated with LotRO than that. A friend of mine quit LotRO entirely because of this instance -- he was also playing a ranged class and didn't know the trick of getting Mordrambor to injure himself by closing to melee range, and for him it took so long that Mordrambor actually reset.

  6. #6
    That one used to be a pain. If I remember correctly at the time you couldn't do ANY ranged damage to him you had to use Melee skills which was, at the time, very slow. I eventually had to ask a couple of kinmates to join me to plow through it.

    The room right after Mordrambor is a huge pain in the butt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Doo doo doo, lookin' out my back door...
    Posts
    4,235
    Mordrambor was never all that bad if you kept an eye on your de-buff and ran back to Narm (and also help with the Grims a bit). I have done this several times on different classes. The part that is most troublesome is the area up to Mordirith where there are pods of multiple mobs close together. It is important to use whatever CC you have to make sure you are not fighting more than 3 at a time (hopefully less). Since you are better at singling out roamers (more so than Narmaleth) let her finish off mobs while you jump ahead and pull onesies. Having two casters popping spiders, along with 2 ghost knights is hard enough, but then more mobs wander in...you are toast (or she is).
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

  8. #8
    Thanks for the correction on how Narmeleth's Boon works. I knew it was important to harming Mordrambor but I had forgotten the bit about the damage reflection. It's 200%, as I recall.

    Now that I think about it, I believe that the most effective way to put a hurt on him is to have him drop his fire-splash-bomb-thing on you while you are near him (with N's Boon active, of course). It's a powerful attack in its own right, so reflecting it at 200% is huge.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    1,699
    When I did this as a champion, it went the way it was intended, and that's actually how I found out about what the boon was really doing. The explanatory text Narmeleth gives really does not make plain enough if you're playing a class who's been rigorously trained from day one to "never close to melee range, you'll be squished" so much that it's deeply ingrained habit by then. (And even if you started to get that idea, the grims don't help encourage it.) Even for a hunter, it's an easy instance if you know to go against all your training and run in; all the instance really needs is a much more firm "suggestion" from Narmeleth that you have to move in close.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterGreen View Post
    When I did this as a champion, it went the way it was intended, and that's actually how I found out about what the boon was really doing. The explanatory text Narmeleth gives really does not make plain enough if you're playing a class who's been rigorously trained from day one to "never close to melee range, you'll be squished" so much that it's deeply ingrained habit by then. (And even if you started to get that idea, the grims don't help encourage it.) Even for a hunter, it's an easy instance if you know to go against all your training and run in; all the instance really needs is a much more firm "suggestion" from Narmeleth that you have to move in close.
    Since the instance is soloable I suspect Mordrambor is also susceptible to tactical damage or a runekeeper would have real problems with him. Come to think of it I don't recall that my minstrel had as much trouble with him as my hunter. None of the rest of the instance has ever been a problem to me but now I have a better idea how to handle Mordrambor, thanks to all the input from various people.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Paragnosis View Post
    Since the instance is soloable I suspect Mordrambor is also susceptible to tactical damage ......
    Correct.
    I had no problem at all soloing him on my RK.
    Sadly that doesn't help the OP.
    My alarm tried to wake me this morning.
    Things escalated and now my alarm is broken and I am awake. . .
    Not quite sure who won . . . .

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload