We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Borderline Topic: Infinite Crisis

... which, as we all probably know, is the MOBA that Turbine's
    been developing, with Marvel Comics characters. (At least, I
    think it's Marvel.)

I saw an ad for it in the margins of Slate magazine this morning,
    saying "Sign up for beta." So they've reached the open beta
    stage.

Mind you, I would not play an MOBA, let alone an MOBA with
    superhero comics characters, if the alternative were summary
    execution. Nonetheless, I hope it does very well and makes
    Turbine lots and lots of money. Those of you who really
    really love fighting, give it a try.

/crosses fingers
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Um... probably a dumb question, but what's a MOBA?
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

It is DC. Batman,..etc,..

MOBA is like Massive Online Battle Arena.

Makes for good tournament play style.
    If you are ever at a game con, you'll prolly find a tourney going on.

Not my cup of tea,...but man ,..those League of Legend peeps are out of control

MOBA = Massive Online Battle Arena I think. Its open PVP.

Also, its DC characters. (Sorry, my nerd slipped out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rowellan View Post
    Um... probably a dumb question, but what's a MOBA?
    Oh gosh, I forget what the acronym stands for ...

/googles

Multiplayer online battle arena.

And continued googling tells me it isn't the Marvel universe,
    it's the DC universe. (Oops.)

If I can believe what I read, it's a full-scale hands-on all-PvP fight,
    in this case when every player chooses an avatar of some comics
    character to play. Everyone doesn't have to choose a different
    avatar, either: you could in theory have an army of Batmans battling
    another army of Batmans battling another army of Batmans, each
    coming from a different reality.

As I said, I wouldn't play it for anything, but I hope a lot of people
    do.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Thanks for the explanation

Hm, it's not my cup of tea, but still success to Turbine there.
    ~ Huntress reincarnated ~

I think if you aren't League of Legends or DOTA 2 you probably aren't going to be very profitable in the genre. There's a Lord of the Rings MOBA (Guardians of Middle Earth) that launched at the end of 2012 that is pretty much dead now. It's a tough genre to be successful in, and I suspect a niche like superheroes combined with a MOBA just isn't going to do too well.

Marvel does have a game out,..it looks like a Moba,..I guess more Diablo-esque?

Marvel Heroes.

It is pretty new,..but I get the feeling it was dead at the gate. Something silly about 4 wolverines and multiple Gambits running around in a lobby type instance game.
    I was hoping for a DCUO or CoH, or CO, at least but in the Marvel universe. So this was a non-starter for me, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlineJunkie View Post
    I think if you aren't League of Legends or DOTA 2 you probably aren't going to be very profitable in the genre. There's a Lord of the Rings MOBA (Guardians of Middle Earth) that launched at the end of 2012 that is pretty much dead now. It's a tough genre to be successful in, and I suspect a niche like superheroes combined with a MOBA just isn't going to do too well.
    I would have thought such a game would do well. I mean, the topic seems to come up all the time: who would win a fight? Batman or Superman? The Hulk or the Blob? Etc etc. I have heard more than a few of those in my life. It would seem like a comic fan's dream come true, in a sense.
    Townsperson says, "I'm having an adventure. I've paddled all the way from Frogmorton!"

Quote Originally Posted by RedlineJunkie View Post
    HiRez and Smite would like a word with you

The thing about that specific genre is that it becomes easily saturated when you explore the staples...unlike most genres you cannot just simply change the skin and names and call it a new game, in this one you have to actually start thinking of base mechanics. In IC, for example, it is currently far more focused on actual genre staples and more towards map-based objectives. Coast City, for example, is a 2-lane map with a much larger jungle and a central point that could change the course of the fight. Gotham Heights is what most call a Dominion-style map with no lanes and a central point that does alter the way the game is played. Gotham Divided is the one map they've announced that will be a more traditional 3-lane style map that you find in the genre, but since it hasn't been released yet, information about how it plays differently is sparse.

The one draw that a lot of people do forget is that the DC fanbase is a very large built-in one, and with most of them already playing games it doesn't hold the same upper-end cap that games like LOTRO would in that the built-in fanbase doesn't always game. The only real drawbacks that people are really having with it is that the character roster is small and too Batman-focused, the kits are ok and the gameplay itself is not as unfriendly as LoL.
    Give a guy a pound of gold...he'll complain about how heavy it is.
    Enmity of Forum Trolls: 106/5000 Of the Egaads clan

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post

The thing about that specific genre is that it becomes easily saturated when you explore the staples...unlike most genres you cannot just simply change the skin and names and call it a new game, in this one you have to actually start thinking of base mechanics..
    I find it infinitely ironic that you say this because after dabbling into the dota map in Warcraft 3 in say, oh I dunno, back in 2005ish, I was very much interested in the game League of Legends after I read some articles on it last year. And boy, I almost couldn't tell the difference between dota in 2005 and LoL in 2013! LoL and dota (Dota 2 is the current version) are basically exactly what you said that they are not: the same game, just with a different skin. That's what it felt like for me anyway. I'm not saying that a superhero moba won't be fun; I'm actually very excited about this game. I think superman and batman squaring off would be infinitely fun. And I think an MMORPG-maker could put an interesting spin on a MOBA. Shall be lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandy_Cain325 View Post
    I find it infinitely ironic that you say this because after dabbling into the dota map in Warcraft 3 in say, oh I dunno, back in 2005ish, I was very much interested in the game League of Legends after I read some articles on it last year. And boy, I almost couldn't tell the difference between dota in 2005 and LoL in 2013! LoL and dota (Dota 2 is the current version) are basically exactly what you said that they are not: the same game, just with a different skin. That's what it felt like for me anyway. I'm not saying that a superhero moba won't be fun; I'm actually very excited about this game. I think superman and batman squaring off would be infinitely fun. And I think an MMORPG-maker could put an interesting spin on a MOBA. Shall be lots of fun.

DOTA and LoL are the same simply because they were the 'base' for the genre. DOTA 2's changes, however, reinforce the point; last-hitting, denials, death penalties, couriers, and the general idea of the mechanics (like item and team comps) have pushed it in a different direction.

For example, in DOTA 2 your character's position is important as there is a factor in turning speed and the actual animations for such things (movement, attacking, skill use, etc) are actually longer and more deliberate in DOTA than LoL. The entire notion of denial in DOTA is what makes it seem more difficult for players coming from LoL.

The same could be said about how IC appears, as it seems to incorporate styles from both games (like LoL's reliance on skillshots, and a system similar to DOTA's couriers), it still has a general feel that is similar between the rest of the genre. The only one of the genre that truly stands out, though, is Smite...and that is largely due to the perspective change and how it drastically changes how you play that type of game.

That's true. Like I said, I think an MMORPG-maker can mesh well in the moba world, especially when it comes to balancing characters and such. Risk/reward is a fun element in these kinds of games too.

I'm excited to see what happens in IC as far as game modes go. Seeing as it's a superhero game, it would be interesting if they incorporated some ideas from classic FPS games like CoD. Maybe hostage rescue? Extracting hostages in the crime-ridden streets of Gotham while simultaneously thwarting the enemy team would go well with superheroes. Or maybe bomb plantation/detonation? Options are endless.

EDIT: I just hope IC doesn't end up like another boring moba in zoomed-out view. That's why I didn't even bother trying guardians of middle earth (even though I'm obv a LotR fan) because I figured it was just more of the same. I hope IC at least has the third person view like in Smite.
    Last edited by Kandy_Cain325; Jan 22 2014 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandy_Cain325 View Post
    That's true. Like I said, I think an MMORPG-maker can mesh well in the moba world, especially when it comes to balancing characters and such. Risk/reward is a fun element in these kinds of games too.

I'm excited to see what happens in IC as far as game modes go. Seeing as it's a superhero game, it would be interesting if they incorporated some ideas from classic FPS games like CoD. Maybe hostage rescue? Extracting hostages in the crime-ridden streets of Gotham while simultaneously thwarting the enemy team would go well with superheroes. Or maybe bomb plantation/detonation? Options are endless.

EDIT: I just hope IC doesn't end up like another boring moba in zoomed-out view. That's why I didn't even bother trying guardians of middle earth (even though I'm obv a LotR fan) because I figured it was just more of the same. I hope IC at least has the third person view like in Smite.
    It is highly improbable that IC will have alternate systems like Smite's view or a more the other ideas you mentioned. It's going to be a strict MOBA-style game directed towards eSports competitions, there's some factors that could be rolled into a MOBA-style setup, but I doubt it'd be something so specific.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCntry View Post
    It is highly improbable that IC will have alternate systems like Smite's view or a more the other ideas you mentioned. It's going to be a strict MOBA-style game directed towards eSports competitions, there's some factors that could be rolled into a MOBA-style setup, but I doubt it'd be something so specific.
    You're most likely right. I just checked their site, and I didn't realize until now that they are already in closed beta. Little late for game mechanic speculation I suppose, haha...

I also learned that it's going to be free-to-play, which is just fantabulous!

this game will fail so miserable

nobody wants to Play this stuff, not even the People who like MOBAs
    not even the DC license will save it

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Nonetheless, I hope it does very well and makes Turbine lots and lots of money.
    Those of you who really really love fighting, give it a try.
    why are you selling yourself so low, you will get nothing other then the hate of the people who will be scammed by it,
    or do you know someone who would benefit directly by People throughing Money at turbine again?
    then your underhanded advertisment would be simply a shame

Have had a brief look, I like the idea of comic heroes, but then I'm not a fan of PvP so that rules it out for me unfortunately. Being said, I really hope it does well and gives Turbine a big cash boost.
    Galuhad | Narvelan
    Lore Breakers of Eldar