We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Minstrel and Lore

Anyone have some tips on role playing a minstrel? The idea that words and songs can "inspire" allies to do better I think can be justified, but I am having trouble reconciling the idea that a shout or or song could kill enemies in tolkien's middle earth during the third age from a "person" (be it human, dwarf, hobbit or elf). How do others reconcile the existence of such power and the fact that it is not really in existence during the war of the rings. I understand the the power of song comes from ideas from the Silmarillion. Im just curious how others role play this. ( Not finding an answer is not going to stop me from RP my hobbit minstrel).

*right after posting I found this Article: http://cstm.mymiddleearth.com/2010/0...e-appropriate/

But the idea that this power was still capable of "anyone" during the third age still gets to me.

Words and songs can inspire folks. That much is true, even in the real world, and not just fantasy.

My suggestion is to not roleplay the other aspects of the class. I.E. calling down large bolts of light which reduce everything around to dust. Depending on where your character hails from, use speech appropriate. Think of Theoden's speech to the Eorlingas before they charged the Enemy on The Pelennor Fields.

I read a log the other day with a minstrel who gave some very inspiring speech to a group about to go slay some evil.

So if you're intent on roleplaying your class, then that is the suggestion I have.

Bertrus Broadleaf - Landroval
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” Faramir

Yeah I completely understand how speech and song can inspire (buff) and raise moral (heal). I guess my real point is to start a discussion on how to role play the minstrel's offensive abilities and reconcile that with tolkien lore. Ex: Since "health" is moral in the game, the offensive speech and songs damage not physically, but more psychologically, namely, it causes such things as fear, unstable emotions and such that can literally destroy one's mind. This is similar to the power of the ring on such people as gollum, yet faster or even instant. I guess it comes down to what "light" damage does.

I am just trying to start some friendly discussion around the topic and hear other peoples ideas.

I'm not that familiar with the Minstrel's abilities but am having similar challenges in rp-ing a RK. What I find particularly difficult is not using weapons, especially because so much rp dialogue often revolves around it. My character leans more on scholarly pursuits and much of his conversation is tied to matters concerning time, the value of life, and an affinity with the natural world. Because words are so important, furthermore, he chooses them carefully. He has become something of a religious figure and few rp-ers know how to take him I think. As for actually role-playing out an attack as part of a group, I'm not sure what he's doing. He tends to act as a healer and I pretend any offensive attacks he makes didn't happen I guess. *shrug*

What type of roleplay are we talking about here? If you mean roleplaying quests and instances, than I suppose class does come into the equation more often.

If you're talking player-driven plots and stories, than class plays less of a role. If you want to emote that your Rune-keeper, Captain, Minstrel, or other class that can't wield a bow uses a bow to shoot down a scouting Orc, do so. That's what imaginations are for, so we're not limited to class abilities alone.

P.S. - No style of RP rules them all. So if you're intent on roleplaying your class with just their abilities, have fun!

Bertrus Broadleaf - Landroval
    “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” Faramir

I find I really enjoy my Hobbit Minstrel, I made a back store of him growing up in Frogmorton where his mother worked at the Floating Log inn. He was exposed to "adventure" through hearing stories of travelers as well as enjoying the entertainment at the Inn.

I enjoy defeating enemies with music and shots, including when I defeated a Troll with two shouts! I want to be able to "role play" The fun I am having with my "battle" minstrel, yet I suppose that others will not appreciate my unique hobbit or feel I am breaking lore by having and adventuring hobbit Minstrel that fights with music and speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    I find I really enjoy my Hobbit Minstrel, I made a back store of him growing up in Frogmorton where his mother worked at the Floating Log inn. He was exposed to "adventure" through hearing stories of travelers as well as enjoying the entertainment at the Inn.

I enjoy defeating enemies with music and shots, including when I defeated a Troll with two shouts! I want to be able to "role play" The fun I am having with my "battle" minstrel, yet I suppose that others will not appreciate my unique hobbit or feel I am breaking lore by having and adventuring hobbit Minstrel that fights with music and speech.
    The thing is, you can't RP the Minstrel's abilities literally and still have it having anything to do with lore. The class is way too contrived for that (e.g. how does shouting at things kill them?). In the books the only minstrels with any sort of 'magical' power were Elves who'd conjure pleasing visions to accompany their poetry and music, but they certainly wouldn't have been going around shouting at things and killing them either. It's doubly 'off' to have hobbits doing anything that looks like magic, so lore-wise a hobbit minstrel is the absolute worst combination to try to RP like it's all 'really' happening. You can't have it both ways.

So are RPs offended if on an rp server you saw a Minstrel hobbit running around or one attempting to rp?

Words and songs are powerful even in our world.

As I was playing this morning I thought about this: songs and shots do moral damage, therefore for wild animals and other similar enemies, the songs and shots cause them to either calm down and from then on avoid people or leave the area (such as bears and wolves). But for evil enemies (such as goblins, which I fought this morning), the songs and shots cause similar physiological moral damage and they "pass out" and/or are "helpless" (similar to PnP games such as pathfinder) and after the battle they can easily be "dealt with."

My guess there is a variety of Rps here and a spectrum from hardcore lore followers where every actions is backed up by tolkien in some way to those that accept that LOTRO's middle earth is not the same as tolkiens and Rp accordingly (hobbits as bards and other class/race combinations that stretch the lore).

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    So are RPs offended if on an rp server you saw a Minstrel hobbit running around or one attempting to rp?
    Let me put it this way: as someone who likes his RP 'serious', I don't especially want to hear how this game's dodgy mechanics and questionable class concepts can give a hobbit 'impossible' powers that let them accomplish foolishly improbable superheroic deeds (like, say, casually taking out a couple of Trolls like that). If nothing else, that just turns every player-character into Mary Sue. Make up a believable story about how the plucky little chap managed to overcome two Trolls by means of wit and cunning (and with a bit of blind luck thrown in) in its stead, though, and then we'd be talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Radhruin_EU View Post
    how does shouting at things kill them?
    Obviously you have never met my ex-gf.
    Mandelbaum, 105 Champ; PeabodySherman, 100 LM, House of Mooters, Landroval
    Rembandor, 85 Champ, Penquanta Periannath, Laurelin