We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Output to different channels (ChatEdit, Rainbow, etc...)

Continuing to get my feet wet.

From what I've been able to suss out, the only 'direct' output command available is writing to the standard channel (#4) with Turbine.Shell.WriteLine().

Plugins I've seen doing other stuff - ChatEdit, Rainbow, etc - are getting around this (if I understand them) through use of an alias assignment... which will parse commands such as "/tell" rather than simply copying the characters to the standard output.

Is this correct?

If not - is there a way to immediately redirect text output to some other channel?

Looking through the ChatEdit and similar code, I can see them building the alias command, but I can't seem to figure out where that command is actually *activated*.

To wit, what is the call which actually "performs" the alias - e.g. making strings such as "/tell somebody something" or "/kinship Hi folks" actually 'happen' - so that the text is sent?

thanks!

Qumo

Quote Originally Posted by Eddenwulf View Post
    Continuing to get my feet wet.

From what I've been able to suss out, the only 'direct' output command available is writing to the standard channel (#4) with Turbine.Shell.WriteLine().

Plugins I've seen doing other stuff - ChatEdit, Rainbow, etc - are getting around this (if I understand them) through use of an alias assignment... which will parse commands such as "/tell" rather than simply copying the characters to the standard output.

Is this correct?

If not - is there a way to immediately redirect text output to some other channel?

Looking through the ChatEdit and similar code, I can see them building the alias command, but I can't seem to figure out where that command is actually *activated*.

To wit, what is the call which actually "performs" the alias - e.g. making strings such as "/tell somebody something" or "/kinship Hi folks" actually 'happen' - so that the text is sent?

thanks!
    There's no call performing the alias, aliases are executed when the user clicks an alias quickslot, just as they are if created with the /shortcut command. That's outside a plugin's control.

Those plugins don't just build a command, they build a quickslot with that command for the user to click (and they typically camouflage it as a regular button or a menu entry or something that does not look like an ugly shortcut)
    Last edited by Equendil; Jan 27 2014 at 01:44 AM.

Sorry to intrude on thread with this ~

I ask people to please not use rainbow chat for public channels. It's harsh that one abusive user should affect my behaviour surrounding this rather fun plugin for years and years but this one person had many alts and he kept faking loot messages and used the feature in a bad way. The rainbow chat can't be filtered out at my end of the game and I truly wish there was no way to use it at all

If Arrowdynamic is still around on forums and in the game these past three years he's been ignored and reading this: I hope you have a nice game-time in any case.

It is indeed a quickslot masked behind a custom button. As mentioned, you can't activate the alias within the code, all you can do is build the alias for the user to click. This is how it's done in any plugin that outputs to the chat channels. Just set the mouse visibility to false for the button and shape the quickslot to match the size.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Galuhad | Narvelan[/B]
    Lore Breakers of Eldar[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/list.php?skinnerid=3762"]Plugins[/URL] | [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?538975-Accounts-for-New-Players"]New Player Guide[/URL] | [URL="http://www.twitch.tv/galuhad"]Twitch[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Ah. That explains it. Thanks!