We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    3 Fountain Street, Towerglan, Bree-land Homesteads, Arkenstone, Sweden

Range of Trackers?

I have noticed that I can see a resource with negligible aid of the Tracker. Upon approaching a (example) Rich Iron Deposit in open terrain, like Gatson Souther Fields at 11.3S / 45,6W Kingsfell, I can see it at the same time the Tracker points it out, at about 82 meters range. Now, ore is of course easier to spot than wood, but if you know what to look for you can actually spot wood before it shows up on the Tracker. Barely. See attached image.
    Now, the terrains is not flat and I see the wood slightly uphill, I do not know whether this may have an impact on the tracker if it was designed to work without consideration to terrain.

I have also confirmed being able to spot Ore before it showns up on the tracker, this time the terrain was downhill. I was at 11.3S / 44.3W and the Rich Iron Deposit at 10.9S / 44.2W.

Considering this it seems obvious that Tracking should be more sensible, and if enhanced in any way, it would be very useful to have the range expanded, to perhaps the double or more.
    Last edited by Marancil; Jan 12 2014 at 06:13 AM.
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Arkenstone
    Malancil 105 CHN, Historian | Gilthiron 102 CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang 76 WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite 71 GRD, Armourer | Tarostel 54 HNT, Armsman | Angredeth 95 HNT, Tinker

3 Fountain Street, Towerglan, Bree-land Homesteads, Arkenstone, Sweden
    So is this just me doing some nit-picking and no one else consider it a problem?
    The Elruthrim Brethren of Arkenstone
    Malancil 105 CHN, Historian | Gilthiron 102 CPT, Explorer | Sturmdrang 76 WDN, Woodsman
    Anancite 71 GRD, Armourer | Tarostel 54 HNT, Armsman | Angredeth 95 HNT, Tinker

I have two prospecting alts. In this area of the North Downs and most of Bree-Land, I often forget to turn the tracker on because ore deposits are highly visible. Floaty names also helps.

But in wooded, rocky, and/or dark areas it's invaluable with the range it has. Take Eregion for example--there are a lot of boulders with similar shapes to ore deposits. Also, a number of deposits hide behind huge rock outcroppings and are tucked up against them. Add in trees with the rocks and it gets even tougher to spot deposits, especially in areas where I'm looking for Calenard Skarn.

The tracker also gives other useful information. Normally I mine everything in sight, since one pc is a jeweler and one is a weaponsmith, and send the ore the prospector doesn't use to the other pc. But if I'm questing, too, I use the tracker to determine which type of ore is ahead of me in areas where there are two types of ore.

The other invaluable piece of info I get from the tracker is mob location in relation to a deposit. It's helpful to know if mobs are camped around or on top of a deposit. If I'm running around an area alone and I see a lot of mobs concentrated around a deposit, I'm likely to skip it until the mobs disperse. Sometimes I'm in a "get what I need and get out" mood and don't want to fight off 3 dusk hounds and a half-dozen grumpy Dunlending fighters just to get one Calenard deposit--unless it's a Rich Calenard deposit. Then I'll deal with the mobs on the off chance I can get a Cracked Rhi Helvarch Sigil out of the effort.