We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

LotRO Character Log - Deed Tracking File

Greetings Free-folk of Middle Earth,

I am Maranwethiel of Landroval server, formerly Denebrian of Laurelin. I have been playing LotRO for just over 2 years and feel I have gained enough knowledge of the game to share some of it with the community. I love to deed grind with a passion, having ground over 300 deeds each on 8 different characters across 2 servers. I wanted to have a way a to keep track of what deeds each character could do; what they had already done, etc.

I used Whiteberry's Completionist Tracker for a while. Her file was very good in getting me at least knowing somewhat what to do as far as deeds. Its one downfall, for me at least, was Open Office. Free is good, don't get me wrong, but the load times of files used in Open Office is ughhh, slow. Another issue I personally had was information overload. What I mean here, is most things listed did not have enough information for me to understand where something was, what to do, was it still in game, etc. This meant a lot of trips to lotrowiki, and asking others what or where something was.

That brings me to today, this posting. I wanted something smaller, something more in line with the deed log itself. I wanted more details on deeds; if it was explorer, the coordinates, quests in instances to complete, what to do for challenges, etc. I also wanted something to keep track of the trait levels for each of my characters, how many Turbine points I had earned on my account, what character had and had not done an instance yet. I had enjoyed some of these features in Whiteberry's file, even the way she had laid it all out.

In early October I began working on making a version similar, if only in appearance to Whiteberry's, yet with my own unique flavor. I wanted something that would run in Excel. Why? You may ask. Excel opens spreadsheets a whole lot quicker than Open Office, runs smoother, and I know how to work with it. My first version of a deed tracker was a sorry looking excuse of a file, I wont lie to ya, and rather large (8+ mb). Some time around mid-November I decided to look into some visual basic coding to handle some of the functions you still see in current versions of the file today. In fact, every single command button in the file runs in visual basic, when a button is clicked. This alone knocked the file size down a comfortable size of 2.5mb, which is small when you consider the amount of information in this workbook file. The file contains nearly 1400 deeds.

So, you have made it through the wall of text, on the history of this file. You are likely wondering why I had to tell a story before getting to my point. My answer, I am female, its what we do. Seriously though, the point to this post is to let everyone know what is coming in the next version of this file. The next version, coming soon (maybe by this weekend), will fix the biggest hurdle I have had since day one with this file. Having to copy and paste data whenever I issued an update to the file.

I also would like to welcome a kin-mate of mine to the team and all his help with the vba coding. Thank you Bracke, aka Karotte, here on the forums. In addition to his help on the vba coding, Bracke will also be handling the German translation of this file, and helping me with quality control issues. Yes, sometimes I get the fat finger, or type sometimes ahead of my thinking. Extra eyes help, a lot with looking over so many deeds. We are looking for an additional member of the team to handle the French side. This person will need to be fluent with Microsoft Excel, speak English as well, and deal with my craziness. This is not a paid job, we are doing this because we love the game and want to share knowledge with the community.

More info about LotRO Deed Log HD can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/wintersongofarda/deeds. Feedback and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you for reading and if you use the file already, your support.
    Last edited by Denebrian_Wintersong; Jan 22 2016 at 03:16 AM.

- Side by Side Comparison LotRO Deed Log for Excel and Open/Libre Office -

See the table below which compares these 2 versions:

Detail .xlsm .ods
    Number of sheets in file 14 13
    Number of deeds in file 1532 1532
    Number of quests in file 1447 1447
    Has Title listing Yes No
    Formula protection Yes Yes
    Contains Macros Yes Yes
    - semi-automatic hide/unhide of row/columns/elements o o
    - semi-automatic update feature o o
    Requires manual user input? Yes Yes
    Last edited by Denebrian_Wintersong; Mar 16 2015 at 10:33 AM.
    [CENTER]Eruliss (Minstrel) Glanhelmion (Champion) Maranwethiel (Lore-master) Nithpantiel (Hunter) Sidhmidiriel (Rune-keeper) Denebrian (Guardian)
    Rithralind (Warden) Laraelianor (Captain) Nycla (Burglar) Cadoressa (Beorning)[B] - Landroval Server[/B] - [URL="https://sites.google.com/site/wintersongofarda/deeds"][B]Author: LotRO Character Log[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

File version 1.1.1 of LotRO Character Log is now available

v1.1.1 Patch Notes:
    Sheet Type Details
    Home New Sheet This sheet will function as the start page for the file, even if the file is saved on another worksheet.
    About Edit Formatting and layout changes.
    Setup Change Moved "Copy Data" button to top of sheet; added more details on its usage.
    Changed drop-down list order; added usage tips within the drop-down lists.
    Added image icons for class and professions. These will change automatically based on drop-down selection.
    C|R|E Edit Class deeds - added class icons; tier deeds are highlighted by red text; adding daily skill usage (only partially complete)
    Class quests - adding quest giver for each quest (only partially complete)
    Vol 3 Epic deeds - Deeds that require Riders of Rohan Legendary Edition are highlighted in white text.
    S|E|R Edit Added partial deed names for each reputation tier; corrected some of the reputation titles.
    Eriador Change

Edit

New
    Moved deed type to column A; highlighted deeds not associated with the regional meta deeds by red text.
    Rearranged deeds for Enedwaith and Dunland to match game deed log, meta deeds were not moved.
    Added quests and deeds for Roving Threats and Treasure Cache of Eriador.
    Rhovanion Change

Edit
    Moved deed type to column A; highlighted deeds not associated with the regional meta deeds by red text.
    Rearranged deeds for Great River to match game deed log, meta deeds and instance deeds were not moved.
    Gondor -
    Hobby
    Edit Moved deed type to column A.
    Mounts Edit
    New
    Reordered all mounts to alphabetic listing.
    Added 2 new reputation mounts. Added missing festival mounts.
    Titles Edit Simplified lookup formulas to make sheet faster.

Special Notes for users that are updating (new users can ignore these notes):
    1. Both files had minor color pallete changes.
    2. Setup sheet notes

• The image icons are only found in the Microsoft Office version of the file as Open Office does not support image swapping in the same way. These areas of the sheet will be empty space.
    • If you have a Rune-keeper or Lore-master character you will need to change their drop-down selection to Runekeeper or Loremaster.
    • Any unused drop-down list will need to be returned to its new version state after the file has been updated. For example if slot 10 is not being used you will need to set all drop downs in slot 10 to what they were when you first opened v1.1.1.
    • Open Office and Libre Office users will need to re-enter their data on the Setup sheet in addition to resetting unused drop downs. (could not be helped, sorry)
    • Open Office now has conditional drop-down lists to match its Excel counterpart. What this means is you will only see, for example, Beorning class listed for characters with a Beorning race.

3. Corrected minor bugs that were posted on the Facebook page.

Other notes:

• The website address remains the same as before https://sites.google.com/site/wintersongofarda/deeds, from there you will be directed to the page to support your office software.
    • I will no longer be posting an exclusive xls version. Users of Microsoft Office 2003 or older, you can download the 2007 compatibility pack to use the xlsm version from Microsoft Office's website. The copy/paste function should still work to transfer from .xls to .xlsm.
    • And lastly please read this, since some have forgotten or either don't bother to read the About sheet in the file. *NOTE* All files downloaded from this site are in zipped format. You will need to unzip the folder and open the file from the unzipped folder. Opening the file from the zipped folder will be READ ONLY. Also, for both file extension types, you will need to enable the macros to run for the file to function as intended.

Last edited by Denebrian_Wintersong; Mar 16 2015 at 10:30 AM.
    [CENTER]Eruliss (Minstrel) Glanhelmion (Champion) Maranwethiel (Lore-master) Nithpantiel (Hunter) Sidhmidiriel (Rune-keeper) Denebrian (Guardian)
    Rithralind (Warden) Laraelianor (Captain) Nycla (Burglar) Cadoressa (Beorning)[B] - Landroval Server[/B] - [URL="https://sites.google.com/site/wintersongofarda/deeds"][B]Author: LotRO Character Log[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Amazing work! Totally digging it

one little issues I noticed registering my main deeds: quests of kingstead is missing in westemnet tab.

Keep up the good work!
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002232c7/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Checked both versions of file.

Quests of Kingstead is first deed listed for both under Westemnet.

Thank you for using.
    [/CENTER]

How did I miss it? I even double-checked it! lol

Let's just pretend I didn¿t say anything and move on :P

Thanks for the help
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/042080000002232c7/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Since Berrys Completionist Tracker ceased to exist this will be my new guide . I'm looking forward to use it! Thanks for making this

Beginning work on next installment of LotRO Deed Log. This installment will take some time to put together as Update 13 added a lot of new deeds to the game. I will also be adding support for a 10th character slot for the coming Beorning class (due later this year). I am not sure as of yet the timetable this update will follow, as a lot of the vbcode will need to be altered to support these changes.

I highly recommend all users of the file to be using the most recent version (2.5), because I am unsure if the update feature will be able to support older file versions for the process to work, with this amount of changes.

Follow this posting on the facebook page linked in the file for updates and to know when the next version is nearing release.
    [/CENTER]

So I will also be starting using this one since Berrys Completionist Tracker ceased to exist

Thanks so much for your work, i am really enjoying it.

Gr Linia

Update 3.0 is coming along good so far. Two sheets are all that remain in need of updating, before coding and update notes can be completed. After that will be a short testing phase for bugs and last minute fixes. Maybe release by next weekend if nothing comes up.

Wanted to take a few moments while I am away from Excel and the game to say welcome former users of Berry's Completionist Tracker. I, like you, was sad to see her leave the game. I want to take the time to answer some questions I am often asked about with this file. I hope I answer them all, if not please feel free to post.

1. Why is there no Titles sheet? As the file name "suggests", this file is structured mainly around the deed log itself. A title listing would not be complete as there are also titles you gain from quests and crafting that never appear in the deed log itself. I do not wish to pursue adding a check list for quests or for crafting in this file.

2. I have this deed in my game Deed Log and it does not appear in the file, why? My goal on this file is to keep it with the current game state. Over the years, many deeds that were granted are no longer granted today for various reasons. I want to make this file so a person who logs in for the very first time today, will know what deeds they can gain through playing the game, earning TP and buying content.

3. Will you add crafting? No, crafting has nothing to do with the deed log.

4. Why is there only a limited amount of character space; I have more characters than what the file allows? The next file version will handle up to 10 characters, the intent is 1 class per character. A future game update will add the 10th class. The file is intended to record deeds, if you are not deeding on a character, don't add them to the file. If the characters are spread around on different servers, rename copies of the file to the servers name.

5. Can I have the password to the file so I can make my own changes? No. Even though this file is free for use, there are numerous reasons why it will always remain in a protected environment. We (my partner on this and I) are pretty sure not many would understand the complexities to the back-end of this file. Publishing this file unprotected leaves the file open to user errors. Keeping it locked helps us maintain it and allows us to fix any bugs found by users more quickly.

6. Why did you choose Excel over Open Office? see the original post to this thread.

That's all for now. Feel free to ask questions, comments, report issues, etc. on the file at anytime.
    [/CENTER]

One thing I'm wondering about is as to why we're only limited to 5 characters for the name? I would like the option to add my characters full name. I used to use Berry's so I'm used to it, but it's still something I would like to see. I understand that it may have to do with spacing given for character names, but with using excel wouldn't it be possible to have the column auto-size itself to fit longer character names? Doing some looking around on the web, it looks like there may be a way to have it do it with a macro.

I would like to thank you and your partner for taking the time to start and work on this project. I look forward to it having a long life.

Quote Originally Posted by Uthboth View Post
    One thing I'm wondering about is as to why we're only limited to 5 characters for the name? I would like the option to add my characters full name. I used to use Berry's so I'm used to it, but it's still something I would like to see. I understand that it may have to do with spacing given for character names, but with using excel wouldn't it be possible to have the column auto-size itself to fit longer character names? Doing some looking around on the web, it looks like there may be a way to have it do it with a macro.

I would like to thank you and your partner for taking the time to start and work on this project. I look forward to it having a long life.
    The limit to character name length is more for cosmetic appearance of each column. Some character names can be quite long (see my own character's names, hehe), therefore to keep the user input columns on each sheet consistent with one another I did as Whiteberry did and limited the name length. I can allow it to auto-size to fit names, but the sheet will not be as pretty (I think) with the user input columns 10 different widths.
    [/CENTER]

Roger that, thank you for the quick reply.

File version 3.0 of LotRO Deed Log is now available

Fixes, changes, and additions are as follows:
    - Setup Sheet: added Beorning class option (for future game update). Removed single sheet update button.
    - C|R|E Sheet Class section: added Beorning class section (future game update). Added 2 new deeds to each class.
    - C|R|E Sheet Social section: added Deeds of Eriador meta deed and Seven Stars deed.
    - C|R|E Sheet Reputation section: Added Ents of Fangorn faction deeds.
    - Events Sheet All Events section: Adjusted section to include all deeds since it is possible to max reputation with Inn League and Ale Association simultaneously.
    - Eriador Sheet: Added many new meta-deeds, see each section of the sheet.
    - Rhovanion Sheet: Added many new meta-deeds, see each section of the sheet.
    - Instance Sheet: Added 1 deed to Tower of Orhanc. Added 2 meta-deeds to Road to Erebor.
    - All Sheets: Added support for 10th character slot for future update to game.

File went from 1374 deeds in version 2.5 to 1446 deeds in version 3.0

Listing of deeds added to file:
    • Promotion Points 1, 2 - all classes
    • Seven Stars - C|R|E Social
    • Deeds of Eriador meta - C|R|E Social
    • Ents of Fangorn faction - C|R|E Reputation
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of Bree-land meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of the Shire meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of Ered Luin meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of the North Downs meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of the Lone Lands meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of the Trollshaws meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of the Misty Mountains meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of Evendim meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of Angmar meta - Eriador
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of Forochel meta - Eriador
    • Quests, Deeds of Khazad-dum meta - Rhovanion
    • Explorer, Slayer, Deeds of Mirkwood meta - Rhovanion
    • Slayer, Deeds of the Great River meta - Rhovanion
    • Explorer, Quests, Slayer, Deeds of Eastemnet meta - Rhovanion
    • Explorer, Quests, Slayer, Deeds of Wildermore meta - Rhovanion
    • Explorer, Quests, Slayer, Deeds of Westemnet meta, The Stewards of Fangorn - Rhovanion
    • Challenger of Saruman (ToO) - Instances (previously overlooked deed)
    • In Defense of Erebor Tier 1, Tier 2 meta - Instances (previously overlooked deeds)
    [/CENTER]

Just a minor note, Slugs of Carn Dum is autobestowed on completion.

I have a Deed done called A day of pranks, but i cant find any information on the internet.

Where are the consume consumables deeds? Per festival event you can but consumables that contribute to a deed.

Keep up the great work

X Lin

Quote Originally Posted by Linia View Post
    Just a minor note, Slugs of Carn Dum is autobestowed on completion.

I have a Deed done called A day of pranks, but i cant find any information on the internet.

Where are the consume consumables deeds? Per festival event you can but consumables that contribute to a deed.

Keep up the great work

X Lin
    Slugs of Carn Dum no longer requires completion of Slug Slayer advanced in the Shire?

Had not planned on adding the festival consumables to the file, since all they give is permanent skills of the items. Yes they appear in the deed log, but personally I don't consider them deeds. If I add them I would likely put them on a separate sheet at the end of the file and not have them counted towards the total deed count.

Day of Pranks is from a April Fools event a few years back. It has not been offered since.
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Denebrian_Wintersong View Post
    Slugs of Carn Dum no longer requires completion of Slug Slayer advanced in the Shire?

Had not planned on adding the festival consumables to the file, since all they give is permanent skills of the items. Yes they appear in the deed log, but personally I don't consider them deeds. If I add them I would likely put them on a separate sheet at the end of the file and not have them counted towards the total deed count.

Day of Pranks is from a April Fools event a few years back. It has not been offered since.
    Ok, thank you!

Came back to the game after a long sabbatical and was trying to work on my virtues only to find Burgzerg is gone. Gdocs version is outstanding as is. Thank you so much for this!
    Relax, it's only just a string of 1s and 0s.

Thank you so much for this. I did use Whiteberry's in the past, but I didn't like that I had to install OpenOffice just to use it. I love that your version is native to Excel and has so many great features. Please keep up the great work and thank you again for this. It would be awesome if someone wanted to do the same for quests.

I do have a few feature requests born out of the fact that my wife and I are altaholics and she can be fickle with her characters. It is very difficult if she decides to delete a character to clear that data from the tracker. So I have the following 2 requests:

1) A delete character button on the setup screen that clears the contents of that column on all sheets
    2) (less important, but would be nice) Ability to move a character and data from one column to another empty column. So if, for instance, we delete character number 2 (because we deleted the character in game) and wanted to make character number 5 now our number 2 character we could. Or even if we just deleted number 2 and had the ability to move the rest of the characters down so that the blank characters were at the end.

Both requests are nice-to-haves and would just make your already excellent tracker more awesome.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000010e037/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Valdacil View Post
    Thank you so much for this. I did use Whiteberry's in the past, but I didn't like that I had to install OpenOffice just to use it. I love that your version is native to Excel and has so many great features. Please keep up the great work and thank you again for this. It would be awesome if someone wanted to do the same for quests.

I do have a few feature requests born out of the fact that my wife and I are altaholics and she can be fickle with her characters. It is very difficult if she decides to delete a character to clear that data from the tracker. So I have the following 2 requests:

1) A delete character button on the setup screen that clears the contents of that column on all sheets
    2) (less important, but would be nice) Ability to move a character and data from one column to another empty column. So if, for instance, we delete character number 2 (because we deleted the character in game) and wanted to make character number 5 now our number 2 character we could. Or even if we just deleted number 2 and had the ability to move the rest of the characters down so that the blank characters were at the end.

Both requests are nice-to-haves and would just make your already excellent tracker more awesome.
    Both of these I would need to speak to "Bracke" about, as he is the programmer. I can say from the code currently in the file; that it takes many lines of code just to get the file to automatically copy and paste data from the older version to the newest version. I would not want to imagine the code needed to do one or both of these. Like I said I will speak with him though and see what all would be involved in doing this with the file.

On the subject of a quest tracker....

I had an idea once on doing this too, since to build a fully automated Titles listing would require both quests and deeds. My idea was to split the quests up into groups, such as; region, epic, event, class, etc. Next list only minor details for the quest (full details would take forever), such as; level, trigger, repeatable/not, rewards/title (if any). The only problem in doing such a project is the sheer scope of it. There are well over 1000 quests in Eriador alone and it would take likely months to build such a spreadsheet to cover all existing quests in the game currently, plus keeping details up to date when developers decide to revamp areas.

If someone has the time to build it for Excel I would have no issue tying the two files together to allow them both to build a Titles listing that will list all titles your characters have earned.
    [/CENTER]

Working on some additions for 3.1 of LotRO Deed Log. These additions came through user requests.

Addition 1: Will be adding the consumable deeds to all events. However, I will not make them countable deeds, since a large number of people do not do them. (300 uses of each to get an annoying skill {ermagawd})

Addition 2: The beginning of quest logging. This feature will be put in to get user feedback to start with, initially. If the feedback is positive I will slowly build the quest portion of the file up over the next few months until the majority of the quests have been added. The questing section will have its own summary sheet eventually, and will be used along with the deed side of the file to build a list of titles for the game.

The first quest sheet will be Class quests. I will attempt to make it fully automated so we wont have to add it to the copy/paste coding on the back end (since its only for feedback purposes for v3.1). If feedback is negative on the questing addition it will be quick to remove it.

After Class will come Epic. Thinking Instances will be faster to do than Eriador and Rhovanion. Crafting will not be covered.

Addition 3: Color coding sheet tabs (along the bottom of the Excel window). Will add colors to tabs to visually point out which sheets affect what on the summary sheet.

On a final note, the file as it stands right now, I would love some feedback on each sheet of the file. For example, do you use the Fellowship Maneuver sheet, do you want something changed on a certain sheet, etc.
    Taken from Facebook page.
    [/CENTER]

For my part I do not use the Fellowship Manouver page at all, but then I mostly duo with my wife, so I don't tend to perform the more complicated FMs.

I'm intrigued by the quest portions and believe the Epic lines would be a very logical and valuable next addition. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0520a00000010e037/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

File version 3.1 of LotRO Deed Log is now available

Fixes, changes, and additions are as follows:
    - Added tab colors to sheets to group them as follows; white - information, yellow - deeds, green - optional, purple - quests
    - Events sheet: Added consume consumable deeds to all relevant events. (deeds wont count towards total)
    - Events sheet: Added Hobnanigans event.
    - New Sheet -- Class Quests: Contains all class quests available. This sheet is primarily a sample sheet, so it is not included in the copy/paste function yet.

Notes on the Class Quests sheet:
    There is no need to enter permanent data to this sheet at this time.
    As stated in my forum postings, to do a full Titles sheet I would like to include the quests as well, since a large amount of titles come from them as well as deeds.
    This sheet is to get user feedback from for now. If feedback is positive I will continue adding more quest sheets in future updates.
    If feedback is negative I will remove the sheet in the next update and keep the file based solely on deeds of the game.
    Please post feedback to the Turbine/LotRO forum posting in regards to this sheet or the file as a whole.
    [/CENTER]

According to me the new quest part is a big plus for this sheet. It contains basically every important detail (NPC - Level - Title). Thanks for all your hard work

All of the updates sound great. I haven't had a chance to download it yet, but I will tonight.

You asked about feedback on other sections. As I mentioned I don't use the Conjunctions so in my opinion that can go away. However, I did notice something that would be useful for the Events section. While not technically a 'deed' as it doesn't get entered into the deed log, it would be helpful to track which racial dances you have earned. That way at each festival I know which characters need which /dance_race(x) and which already have them. I know it isn't technically a deed or a title, but perhaps the tracker could also encompass earnable emotes (not via purchase in the Store) like these.

Great work and appreciate your continued efforts at accuracy and improvement.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast