We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lotro Options for best quality, performance and stability

The settings that I chose I tested while monitoring my system resources to keep my memory usage for Lotro under 2.6 Gb.
    * Have any suggestions? Feel free to leave a comment.

Yellow equals important
    Violet equals disabled by other settings
    White equals start high and then work low

Tab Category Setting Sub-Setting Value Comments
    Graphics Quality Graphics Hardware Level DirectX9 DX9 offers the highest level of stability.
    Graphics Quality PvMP Performance Override Yes
    Graphics Display Screen Mode Full Screen (Windowed) You want either Fullscreen or Full Screen (Windowed)
    Graphics Display Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Graphics Display Antialiasing 2x Significant difference between disabled and 2x, not a significant difference between 2x and 8x.
    Graphics Colour Ambient Light 1.00 Makes your game brighter.
    Graphics Colour Brightness 1.00 Do not change this!
    Graphics Colour Contrast 1.00 Do not change this!
    Graphics Colour Gamma Level 1.00 Do not change this!
    Adv Graphics Objects Object Draw Distance Very High I like the added realism.
    Adv Graphics Objects Model Detail High Downgraded from May, but still realistic.
    Adv Graphics Objects Material Detail High I like the added realism.
    Adv Graphics Scenery Landscape Draw Distance High I like the added realism.
    Adv Graphics Scenery Frill Distance High I like the added realism.
    Adv Graphics Scenery Frill Density 0.50
    Adv Graphics Scenery Distant Imposters Yes
    Adv Graphics Scenery Atmospherics Detail High I like the added realism.
    Adv Graphics Scenery DX11 Interactive Water High Disabled when Graphics not set to DX11+.
    Adv Graphics Texturing Texture Detail High Downgraded from May, but still realistic.
    Adv Graphics Texturing Texture Filtering Trilinear Downgraded from May, but still realistic.
    Adv Graphics Texturing Texture Filtering Anisotropic Filter Quality 8 Should be minimum 2, careful going too high.
    Adv Graphics Lighting High Quality Lighting Yes Disable for slight performace increase, however I like the added realism.
    Adv Graphics Lighting Specular Lighting Yes
    Adv Graphics Lighting Surface Reflections Very High Upgraded from May.
    Adv Graphics Lighting Landscape Lighting Quality High Lower if you want, but I settled on High.
    Adv Graphics Lighting DX10 Distant Landscape Lighting Yes Disabled when Graphics not set to DX10+.
    Adv Graphics Shadows Landscape Shadows Medium Medium just to get rid of any jagged edges.
    Adv Graphics Shadows Landscape Shadows Blob Shadows No DX9 shadows look great as is, no need to enable this setting.
    Adv Graphics Shadows Stencil Shadows Medium Medium just to get rid of any jagged edges.
    Adv Graphics Shadows Stencil Shadows Environmental Stencil Shadows No Enabling will affect performance slightly, and honestly I don't want my screen to be too busy.
    Adv Graphics Shadows DX10 Dynamic Shadows High Disabled when Graphics not set to DX10+.
    Also, I think these shadows look ugly.
    Adv Graphics Shadows DX11 Ambient Occlusion No Disabled when Graphics not set to DX11+.
    Adv Graphics Particle Effects Dynamic Particle Rendering Me + Targets
    Adv Graphics Particle Effects Static Environmental Objects Yes
    Adv Graphics Particle Effects Precipitiation Effects Yes
    Adv Graphics Post Processing Post Processing Effects Yes
    Adv Graphics Post Processing Volumetric Sun Light Yes Disabled when Graphics not set to DX10+.
    Adv Graphics Post Processing Glow Mapping Yes Think torches, campfires, ooze puddles, special types of insects, flowers, etc..
    Adv Graphics Post Processing Overbright Bloom Filter Yes Basically indirect lighting sources such as torches and campfires, glowing surfaces, and lighting throw tree canopies.
    Adv Graphics Post Processing Blur Filter Quality Medium Upgraded from May.
    Adv Graphics Post Processing Bloom Intensity 0.50 Anything higher than 0.50 is visually overwhelming. Easiest to test in Inner Caras Galadhon.
    Adv Graphics Performance Player Mesh Combining No Downgraded from May, but still realistic.
    Adv Graphics Performance Avatar Update Visible No
    Adv Graphics Performance Avatar Texture Compositing No Should make a difference during battles with large mob pulls.
    Adv Graphics Performance 3D Object Portraits Yes Shouldn't make any noticeable difference but you can disable this as needed.
    Adv Graphics Performance Texture Cache Size 0.50 Downgraded from May, but still realistic.
    Adv Graphics Performance Player Crowd Quality 1.00 Start halfway and lower as needed.
    Adv Graphics Display Refresh Rate 60 Hz Set to your monitor refresh rate.
    Adv Graphics Display Sync to Refresh Rate No Setting to Yes can introduce screen jerking.
    Adv Graphics Display Triple Buffering No Still uncertain about this setting.
    Social Options Effect Display Options Selection: Only show dispellable effects No Important when raiding.
    Social Options Effect Display Options Selection: Only show effects cast by you No Important when raiding.
    Troubleshoot Maximum Frame Rate 60 Set to your monitor refresh rate.
    Troubleshoot Engine Speed Very High Do not change this!
    Troubleshoot Connection Speed Automatic Do not change this!

Thanks so much for all your work on this article, Zonflux. I have very good results since I made your changes.

One issue I did have was with the "Dynamic Particle Rendering" setting. You recommended changing it to Me + Targets, instead of All. I found that when I changed it, New Stable Masters would no longer appear as blue, making it difficult to tell whether I had discovered them or not. It's seems like a really odd, random effect, but I did quite a bit of testing with 2 different computers and in both cases it caused the problem.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Again, thanks for all your work on these. I haven't had a crash in weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Illepokok View Post
    Thanks so much for all your work on this article, Zonflux. I have very good results since I made your changes.

One issue I did have was with the "Dynamic Particle Rendering" setting. You recommended changing it to Me + Targets, instead of All. I found that when I changed it, New Stable Masters would no longer appear as blue, making it difficult to tell whether I had discovered them or not. It's seems like a really odd, random effect, but I did quite a bit of testing with 2 different computers and in both cases it caused the problem.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Again, thanks for all your work on these. I haven't had a crash in weeks.
    I have the same issue with the Stable Masters and couldn't for the life of me figure out what changed. I changed that setting to Me + Targets for when you are grouping and there are a tonne of effects going on such as the LM ring of fire, etc...

With your testing is there a setting that you recommend for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Zonflux View Post
    I have the same issue with the Stable Masters and couldn't for the life of me figure out what changed. I changed that setting to Me + Targets for when you are grouping and there are a tonne of effects going on such as the LM ring of fire, etc...

With your testing is there a setting that you recommend for that?
    I just set mine back to "All" to fix the stable master issue, but that may not be optimal as far as memory use is concerned.