We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

A plea for help.

Okay, so I'm not really a 'new' player or anything, but I am a relative lowbie and have a bit of a quandry.

I have been playing LotRO for over 4 years, and I love this game. The first book I ever picked up to read, as in a REAL solid, hefty book was the Hobbit when I was 8 years old, and the world Tolkien crafted has always stuck with me since. I am also an avid MMORPG fanatic, and have played virtually every one in existence to some extent or another. Now, my problem is thus: despite the length of time I have put into this game, my highest level character is my Captain who I just dinged 49 on. I'm no power-leveler, but I still tend to level faster than this in MMORPGs, and given how I'm barely at the halfway mark with no toons over 20, I get frustrated that I'm not making more headway in this game.

I don't do 'hunting' quests for my traits, because they bore me, and I have no real difficulty with combat as a Captain, but what always, inevitably happens is somewhere along clearing out a zone, with all the back-and-forthing to quest mobs that then send me BACK to the same spot again I just get bored. During one of my alt-tabs while riding to Rivendel or back up to Gloin's camp, I end up finding something else to do and just hard-exit.

So basically, odd question I know, but what do you veteran types do to curb this boredom, or do you ever feel it at all? Is this normally where Fellowships fit in, with the casual chatter? I'll admit, I'm a solo-ish, and generally shun guilds of all types in all games purely because, well, I HATE modern-day gamers, but does the social aspect fill the huge void created by hub-running? I know this is random and I'm sorta all-over, but it's just frustrating that I feel like I can't enjoy this game. I WANT to explore the story of Moria, I want to experience mounted combat in Rohan and, eventually, fight at Helm's Deep. But at the rate I'm going, this game will close LONG before I get there.

Please keep in mind this is not a 'people on my server, keep me company' or me trying to get into a Fellowship. I'm honestly asking for tips on how to alleviate the drudgery.

Appreciado.

The way I deal with is via voice chat. Talk to my daughter over seas using Skype while playing. Or get in kin vent and chat. Call a friend on Skype.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzstrong View Post
    I have been playing LotRO for over 4 years, [...] my highest level character is my Captain who I just dinged 49 on.
    4 Years? Just hit 49? o.O What have you been doing at this time?

I could get to 50 in about a week. 1-20 in a day (starter-Breeland), 20-30 in a day (Lone-lands), 30-40 in a day (Evendim), 40-50 in 2-3 days (Trollshaws, Misty Mountains, Angmar, Forochel, Eregion).

Wait, you do have access to zones other than the initial 4... Right? Either by VIP, or by having earned TP over 4 years of play.
    but I still tend to level faster than this in MMORPGs,
    Given how many people complain about leveling too fast (and thus the introduction of the Tortoise stone), I'm inclined to think the problem lies on your end.
    I don't do 'hunting' quests for my traits,
    " 'hunting' quests " ? Are you talking about class deeds? The old lvl 39 legendary trait deeds? The lvl 45 class quest?
    Whatever you mean, /shrug. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.
    So basically, odd question I know, but what do you veteran types do to curb this boredom, or do you ever feel it at all?
    I have fun playing through the landscape, getting to cap. Then, at cap, the game is currently lacking in end game content. So, I'd look for some random 3-man, or log out.
    but does the social aspect fill the huge void created by hub-running?
    I also run landscape solo, but sometimes its nice to have a conversation with other players in kin chat.

Voice chatting with a friend/relative or whomever is a great way of relieving the drudgery that sometimes accompanies the running back and forth in LoTRO. I do it quite often I do understand that you like to solo, but really, there are some excellent Kinships still that will engage in conversation with you, provide friendly assistance and who also might convince you to try a Fellowship group. Hopefully, they will be patient and understanding enough to not expect perfection, but rather teach what they know in a positive and friendly manner and I emphasize the word POSITIVE. In any event, enjoy your adventures!

Well, I do think finding the right kin would be beneficial to you

There are all kinds, and sometimes our kin, for example, will throw an impromptu group together to help someone out, or just chatter away while soloing.

What I do, myself, is have a bunch of alts, and non-leveling related fun things to do. I love exploration, and meandering to see what little items from Tolkein's world I run into.

So, when I'm bored doing one thing, I switch off to another. While I do have one character at level cap, the others range all over the place (by design, I want to be able to give on level help when kinnies need it, so try to cover a wide range of levels).

If you are a lover of the books, then maybe focus on the epics for a bit-bring your character's story nearer the main fellowship?

Like music? Explore the music system. It won't level you up, but it is a unique game system to Lotro, and it's amazing what I've seen some folks do with it.

There's no race to endgame, and lots of fun to be had on the way. I hope you find the key to enjoying the game for you.
    [FONT=palatino linotype][SIZE=2][COLOR=#b22222]LilyRose of Gladden[/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222], Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at[/COLOR][URL="http://rangerswest.guildlaunch.com"][COLOR=#b22222] rangerswest.guildlaunch.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#b22222].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I don't do "hunting" quests for my traits... if by that, you mean the deeds in my Deed log under "Class". I do quests... and it's inevitable that those "kill 200" deeds just magically get done along the way. I love quests.

The secret is to collect a lot of quests for a single area and do them all at once. If one NPC wants me to go kill some boars and bring me their hides, there's usually another one nearby asking me to kill some goblins, and maybe a third one that wants boar meat or the flesh of some other animal. The orcs and boars are in the same area, so I go there and kill whatever needs to be killed and come back when I am done.

There's almost always a storyline for all this these days. Often once you do a boring quest for an NPC, they'll feel friendly and give you a more interesting one that chains up to a real climax.

So perhaps that is what's wrong. You've been grabbing just a quest or two and going, or never turning in the quests to get to the interesting stuff afterwards.

About those "pages" you need to find for your class deeds -- don't bother to just hunt those. Go a-questing and the pages will drop while you are doing something else. And good news: with the class redesign, those deeds yield trait POINTS now and not the traits themselves.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

4 Years? Just hit 49? o.O What have you been doing at this time?

I could get to 50 in about a week. 1-20 in a day (starter-Breeland), 20-30 in a day (Lone-lands), 30-40 in a day (Evendim), 40-50 in 2-3 days (Trollshaws, Misty Mountains, Angmar, Forochel, Eregion).
    See, that is my entire point, and problem. I will play for a few days, maybe a week or two, but just get burnt out on all the pointless running back and forth. Then I'll stop playing, come back later, and repeat the process. I may be a 4-year veteran, but I've probably only gotten a hundred hours or so played total. The whole purpose of this odd post was to try and find a way to get myself deeper into the game, where I do not get bored, and I thought 'what better people to ask than veterans?'

However I cannot fathom someone thinking this game levels you too fast. I mean sure, it's fast compared to, say, Asheron's Call or the like, but to games nowadays? Snail's pace.

ANYwho...

By 'traits' I mean the zone-specific ones, where you kill 150 goblins, then unlock the next tier to kill 350 goblins for Loyalty or Charity level up or something like that. The class ones, where you use moves, I do regardless as you can only level those up like 10 ticks at a time. I do that in like 5 battles. I also grab all quests in a zone, my log is almost always full, and filter through them all before returning to turn them all in. And that is where I end up smacking myself, because the follow-up quests inevitably send me back to a zone I had just previously ravaged through with my Herald, killing mobs I had already killed. The combat is fun, the combat isn't my issue, it's the 6 minutes of riding on my horse for ever 4 minutes of smacking mobs with my Halberd that inexorably drive me away.

But yeah, maybe I am focusing too much on the climb and not stopping to enjoy the view. I never got into Fishing or the Music hobbies, so mayhap I'll try them for a bit so I don't get burned out again on the game as a whole.

Appreciate the time you all took to respond. I know it was kind of a wonky question, but never before in all the years I have played MMORPGs have I ran into this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzstrong View Post
    By 'traits' I mean the zone-specific ones, where you kill 150 goblins, then unlock the next tier to kill 350 goblins for Loyalty or Charity level up or something like that. The class ones, where you use moves, I do regardless as you can only level those up like 10 ticks at a time. I do that in like 5 battles. I also grab all quests in a zone, my log is almost always full, and filter through them all before returning to turn them all in. And that is where I end up smacking myself, because the follow-up quests inevitably send me back to a zone I had just previously ravaged through with my Herald, killing mobs I had already killed. The combat is fun, the combat isn't my issue, it's the 6 minutes of riding on my horse for ever 4 minutes of smacking mobs with my Halberd that inexorably drive me away.
    Do you read the quests themselves, or just check the objectives and run off? The quests typically have a storyline that is interesting.

What area are you questing in? Some of the older areas have more of this pattern than the newer ones. You may want to move out of Angmar and back to Eregion. While the quests in this area send you back, they usually give you a REASON why you have to go back there. And if you haven't done it already (and are over 45), head over to Echad Duannan and do the Volume II Book 1 quests that give you access to the Legendary Item system and the ability to enter Moria.

Don't sweat those quests that increase Loyalty or Charity or whatever, unless it's a Virtue that you really want to increase. There might be another area that is more interesting... or you might end up completing those in the course of doing other things. There's no need to grind for Virtues if you're not having fun doing it.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

I think this is just a very slow paced game.

I admittedly am something of a slow leveler in most other MMORPGs, but this is pretty much the slowest I've played*. Not just the leveling, the whole pace of the game is slow. It takes forever to get anywhere. In the base game (1-50) there is a lot of back tracking. I guess they figured they wanted to slow down leveling as much a possible.

Once you get over 50, it speeds up. The revised Moria is much better designed in terms of how quests flow from hub to hub, as is most of the rest of the game. There are still a lot of agonizing moments though, where you do nothing but run errands for people.

* With the exception of one game from Korea where most of the leveling was done by your characters fighting for themselves while you were AFK. And even then, they finally gave out insta-level passes for people to catch up...