We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    815
    At least these 'spamm' attacks gave people something to talk about... Based on the lack of information, 2014 is going to be a new low in terms of quantity (and undoubtedly quality) of content. Oh please don't respond with the absence of evidence spiel as the last time Turbine pulled a surprise out of their hat was many years ago

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    570
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    At least these 'spamm' attacks gave people something to talk about... Based on the lack of information, 2014 is going to be a new low in terms of quantity (and undoubtedly quality) of content. Oh please don't respond with the absence of evidence spiel as the last time Turbine pulled a surprise out of their hat was many years ago
    They needed to take a year from doing an expansion. They are behind on lots of other things. I have noticed when they schedule a expansion during that year it's pretty much all spent on that(which it should) & you really don't see a whole lot of other things getting done. This past year was the worst I think out of the past 3 years I been around. For example they totally neglected the festivals. Any new stuff that we got which was low, the stuff was just bad. Allot of things need fixing & freshening up in this game & this is the time for Turbine to do it. Although I think they should have done this last year & had HD come out this year. IMO they just have gotten so behind on many things it's time to play catch up. Anyway I am gonna wait & see what this year brings before I start going down the doom & gloom path & throw daggers at Turbine.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by KarooOstrich View Post
    It's pretty standard practice all over the web NOT to go and reply to spam threads.

    I was rather surprised to see posters doing this very same thing even though Sapience himself had requested only a couple of weeks back(maybe less even) that typing /reported in those type of threads or even responding to them at all was not the way to go about it.

    Perhaps less trying to play forum police, and more tolerance with other members next time folks?

    Heck, there was even infighting amongst posters when replying in these spam threads!

    Hopefully some valuable lesson's have been learnt by all after this exercise.

    PS. I most certainly hope the poster/s responsible for posting those disgusting and maliciously named threads are caught and appropriately dealt with.
    I was caught up in the crossfire, and I didn't respond to any spam threads. However, spam comments were posted to some legitimate threads I had commented on, and that could be why I ended up with account issues today. So don't be so quick to judge everyone who's struggling to get their full account privileges back.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    Through the teeth, over the gums; lookout, stomach, here it comes!

    On topic, I hope folks caught in the crossfire get things sorted out quickly. I was blessedly absent during most of the spammage, so I got to miss out on the worst of it. It's too bad that troublemakers do this stuff. Better to build up than to tear down, in my book.
    Yes, that definitely rings a bell! Perhaps I was mixing my sayings... But I could'a sworn that there was one that specifically used the word "hatch", as in a ship's hatch to go below decks... hm...
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

  5. #30
    Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Yes, that definitely rings a bell! Perhaps I was mixing my sayings... But I could'a sworn that there was one that specifically used the word "hatch", as in a ship's hatch to go below decks... hm...
    "Down the Hatch" is what you're looking for. That is, as far as I know, the full saying. Usually just before taking a drink (normally a shot). Sometimes people use it to refer to taking a foul tasting medicine as well. Also normally taken in one shot/swallow.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Neither of us included the word offended, so please don't put words into our mouths. But it isn't dissimilar from being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting thrown into jail during a raid. If something like that had happened in RL, it'd be grounds to take legal action. Obviously, this is a whole different kettle of fish, which would make those actions stupid and illogical. But it doesn't take away from the almost casual injustice, however unintended it was.
    The police can hold you up to 24 hours, highly doubtful you would win any "legal" action.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://tenakill.org/users/tfsuser1/Sean/silversig.jpg[/IMG]
    [/CENTER]

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    4,179
    I always use short phrases like trolling, spam, obscene picture when reporting a post. It tells them what it is, and if it's like other sites I'm familiar with from another game it generates a thread in a forum we can't see and an email or notification to the moderation team.
    [CENTER]I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 100 Minstrel R10 ~ Barloren, 100 LM R5 ~ Teelara, 100 Cappy ~ The Storm Crusaders[/CENTER]

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    My Coop
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxV View Post
    I would suggest you appoint some forum moderators who are not representatives of the game and cannot speak for Turbine, but who's job is simply to keep the forum spam/porn free and keep an eye on those heated debates. Have maybe 2 in the US and 2 in Europe to cover the times zones. Hell you wouldn't even need to pay them, I bet there are plenty of long standing members with a reputation for fairness and respect who would happily volunteer to help keep the forum they love clean. Every forum I have run has used volunteer moderators and it works very well because they are invested only in keeping the peace and not in a pay cheque.

    (BTW I'm not fishing for myself)
    This to me would be an obvious choice or at least a consideration. We have other player groups that are handpicked by Turbine for other purposes - Palantir, PC and Beta players. So why not volunteer moderators? They just need to have the ability to lock/move threads and temporarily ban/suspend users - their actions would be reviewed by Turbine. No one would get a perma-ban or warning from volunteers, they just freeze the 'action' until Turbine can resolve the issue.

    I think there are plenty of posters with the maturity to handle this responsibility. Heck, we could even have a forum vote and elect our own moderators (with Tubine's blessing of course). Let the forum community make nominations, Turbine decides which nominees are eligible and then put it to a vote. Or just have Sapience decide

    I'm very pleased that Sapience started this thread to let us know what we should do and what Turbine is doing. This is effective communication, thanks Sapience!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cookie Land
    Posts
    1,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximilan View Post
    This to me would be an obvious choice or at least a consideration. We have other player groups that are handpicked by Turbine for other purposes - Palantir, PC and Beta players. So why not volunteer moderators? They just need to have the ability to lock/move threads and temporarily ban/suspend users - their actions would be reviewed by Turbine. No one would get a perma-ban or warning from volunteers, they just freeze the 'action' until Turbine can resolve the issue.
    I think there are plenty of posters with the maturity to handle this responsibility. Heck, we could even have a forum vote and elect our own moderators (with Tubine's blessing of course). Let the forum community make nominations, Turbine decides which nominees are eligible and then put it to a vote. Or just have Sapience decide

    I'm very pleased that Sapience started this thread to let us know what we should do and what Turbine is doing. This is effective communication, thanks Sapience!
    They don’t need that kind of power. All the select few need is a special telephone number to inform Turbine that the forums are being spammed or that action is needed. (pornography)

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    274
    From a former game forum mod, thank you. Glad I don't have to look at/deal with that stuff anymore. Does vBulletin have a way to limit the number of threads posted per hour or something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrabath View Post
    What do you consider descriptive? I know I reported a thread that was very 'nice' about you and said something like "Title says it all" F.e. do you see the title/name of a thread?

    And is saying "SPAM" or "This is SPAM" enough description for spam-threads?
    An answer from the folks doing the moderating would be great.

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxV View Post
    I would suggest you appoint some forum moderators who are not representatives of the game and cannot speak for Turbine, but who's job is simply to keep the forum spam/porn free and keep an eye on those heated debates. Have maybe 2 in the US and 2 in Europe to cover the times zones. Hell you wouldn't even need to pay them, I bet there are plenty of long standing members with a reputation for fairness and respect who would happily volunteer to help keep the forum they love clean. Every forum I have run has used volunteer moderators and it works very well because they are invested only in keeping the peace and not in a pay cheque.
    That could work, but I have to wonder: how often have we been getting these spam floods, and would the extra work - selecting volunteers, monitoring them, settling disputes, whatever - be worthwhile? (I don't visit the forums regularly, so have no idea.) From the OP, I take it that not enough reports were submitted, so no alarms went off; it seems we have the tools already to keep the forums clean, and just need to use them more. Just my thoughts, not claiming to speak for the community team.
    Laineth, Lassdhel, Rikkom, Rilem, & alts // [url=http://plus.google.com/b/113811507425749946527/113811507425749946527/]Google+[/url] // [URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/118267325683028810591/ScholarResourceMaps?noredirect=1"]Scholar Resource Maps[/URL] // [URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/118267325683028810591/WestGondorTreasureCaches?noredirect=1"]West Gondor Treasure Cache Maps[/URL]
    Many hands make light work; please help update the [URL="http://lotro-wiki.com/"]LOTRO Wiki[/URL]!
    It takes a tree decades to grow to maturity, minutes to cut it down.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Saniko View Post
    An answer from the folks doing the moderating would be great.
    I suppose it would. It's concise. No need to write chapters. "Spam" or "pornography" should give any moderator looking at the reports enough to go on, especially when 20 people report it that way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Saniko View Post
    That could work, but I have to wonder: how often have we been getting these spam floods, and would the extra work - selecting volunteers, monitoring them, settling disputes, whatever - be worthwhile? (I don't visit the forums regularly, so have no idea.) From the OP, I take it that not enough reports were submitted, so no alarms went off; it seems we have the tools already to keep the forums clean, and just need to use them more. Just my thoughts, not claiming to speak for the community team.
    In general, not a good idea on forums such as this. You're always going to have 3 groups of people (I'll use the popular terms for them): "fanboy", "hater" and "moderate" users. If you appoint a moderator from either "fanboi" or "hater" groups, any action they're going to take on a topic is going to be looked at by the opposing group. You're going to get debates that these folks moderate based on their opinion of the subject, rather than by the guidelines. And once you appoint a moderator from the "moderate" group, it won't take long before one or both other groups claim he or she is part of the other camp. There's really no reasoning with gamers :P

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    "Down the Hatch" is what you're looking for. That is, as far as I know, the full saying. Usually just before taking a drink (normally a shot). Sometimes people use it to refer to taking a foul tasting medicine as well. Also normally taken in one shot/swallow.
    Ah! That's the one! Gee wiz, though, it surely is short! How could I not remember something as simple as that? O.o

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoot View Post
    The police can hold you up to 24 hours, highly doubtful you would win any "legal" action.
    Doesn't win them any brownie points, and depending on the situation, winning might not be out of the realm of possibilities. Then again, with the bias that is so prevalent, considering the atrocities they already get away with, you may be right. -.-
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    At least these 'spamm' attacks gave people something to talk about... Based on the lack of information, 2014 is going to be a new low in terms of quantity (and undoubtedly quality) of content. Oh please don't respond with the absence of evidence spiel as the last time Turbine pulled a surprise out of their hat was many years ago

    There's information out there if you go look for it. ....or you can get on one of the live streams and ask questions.


    Q/A Hobbits to Isengard - Elendilmir

    Q/A Hobbits to Isengard - Evernight
    [CENTER][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=#ff0000]Currently serving [/COLOR][COLOR=#3366ff]Brecfes[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] on every world....[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/CENTER]

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Saniko View Post
    That could work, but I have to wonder: how often have we been getting these spam floods, and would the extra work - selecting volunteers, monitoring them, settling disputes, whatever - be worthwhile? (I don't visit the forums regularly, so have no idea.) From the OP, I take it that not enough reports were submitted, so no alarms went off; it seems we have the tools already to keep the forums clean, and just need to use them more. Just my thoughts, not claiming to speak for the community team.
    There's another spam flood going on right now. Waiting for 60 second cool down before reporting the next one is going to take too much time for many members so only the first few may get reported.

    I personally think it would be worthwhile as a 'new posts' list full of spam can be very off putting for new members (and can drive existing members away) and doesn't look good for Turbine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyaehar View Post
    In general, not a good idea on forums such as this. You're always going to have 3 groups of people (I'll use the popular terms for them): "fanboy", "hater" and "moderate" users. If you appoint a moderator from either "fanboi" or "hater" groups, any action they're going to take on a topic is going to be looked at by the opposing group. You're going to get debates that these folks moderate based on their opinion of the subject, rather than by the guidelines. And once you appoint a moderator from the "moderate" group, it won't take long before one or both other groups claim he or she is part of the other camp. There's really no reasoning with gamers :P
    One of my most successful forums was a UK Lost fan forum. We had 'fanboys/girls' and 'haters' too. This was especially ramped up after the finale. My moderators were well respected members of the community who were able to separate their love/hate of the show and their discussions of such from their role as mods and this was understood and respected as a matter of course by other members. It is possible.

    However it is also possible for moderators to be anonymous. Use regular members that can be trusted not to abuse their power or brag on their regular account, give them a separate anonymous mod account, and they remain completely neutral.
    [URL="http://www.sigcreator.com/"]Proud Officer and band member of 'Under The Sunlit Sky'

    [IMG]http://www.sigcreator.com/generatedsigs/56621691lotro_lotro08.png[/IMG][/URL]

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    462
    The spammers are having another go. Couldn't see offhand how to 'black mark' the dodgy threads so am simply advising on here. Must dispute Sapience's ridiculous overestimation of them as a 'commercial' operation. Kids in bedrooms, much more like. After all, who in their right mind would ever trust a self-confessed black magician and hostile spammer with payment details?

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Central Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    1,855
    The spam alert goes off to alert a moderator if enough people report-even out of hours.
    what to do re spam storm: open post. go to triangle at the bottom of post. Click on tringle. Click report. Give details.
    eg ' multiple spam advertisements by this poster in a number of forums.' (Copy this if you are going to do multiple reports.) Hit submit.
    You can only report 1 a minute.
    Do NOT reply to thread (even to say reported).

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    284
    Those people should look for a girlfriend imo....

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by wachkussen View Post
    After all, who in their right mind would ever trust a self-confessed black magician and hostile spammer with payment details?
    People with a cultural background different from our scientific western rationalism.

    Believe it or not, but in Latin American countries you can buy the oddest magical thing on week markets, like sprays that make you successful in business or love. Even here in Germany people are believing in irrational influences and ask 'specialists' for astrological analyses or Tarot card divination, and some of these 'specialists' claim that they can predict the fate of someone of whom they only saw a photograph, and even alter it by some mysterious method (praying?). It is hard to prove that it doesn't work, because you will never get to see the alternative outcome, to tell if it turned to the worse or the better.

    People who are confronted with a situation that appears threatening, that cannot be controlled by them, tend to search for help everywhere. These quacks prey on sheer desperation (talking as long as they can, creating a huge telephone bill of which they will take their share), and that is why I don't like them.


    Greetings, Polymachos

  19. #44
    So, how do I get back to where I can post new threads?

    #soconfused.

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
    So, how do I get back to where I can post new threads?

    #soconfused.
    https://www.lotro.com/en/content/community-guidelines

    There are 2 sections depending on your problem:

    • 13. Discussion of Disciplinary or Moderations Actions.
    • Bottom of the Page: Appealing a Ban


    These sections have different procedures on how to contact Turbine to review the issue(s) with your account.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

    The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload