We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Official Discussion: Recent Spamm Attacks

Some important information about the recent spate of spamming.

This was clearly not an effort by any 'rival' community. Some thought it would be a good opportunity to do their own spamming, sure, but overall it was obviously a coordinated effort by some sort of commercial group.

Report the spam - DO NOT POST INTO SPAM THREADS
    Because we bulk delete and ban all persons in those threads, if you are posting in them you may get caught up in the fall out. If you think you were hit with this, please file a ban appeal. We'll clear them up as quickly as possible.

Why did those posts stay up so long?
    Usually a notification system triggers when posts are reported. When that notice hits a threshold it's supposed to work a bit like a fire alarm. That didn't happen. So there was a lack of 'all hands on deck' attention. This has been resolved.

We're looking at ways to mitigate this further and prevent similar actions. As a result, some of you might have reduced posting ability and access while we tweak the forum settings to lock things down a bit more. If this happens you should first log out, wait 2-3 minutes, and log back in. If you are still having the issue after that, wait about an hour. It should all have cleared up by then.

Thank you very much Sapience your actions are greatly appreciated by me and I am sure the entire community as well. Kudos!
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.

Whatever you can do to prevent this is greatly appreciated. I don't envy you guys for the cleanup you have/had to do.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN SERVER
    Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10

I agree that the accusations being thrown around about rival sites being responsible were completely ridiculous.

What is alarming however is that noone at Turbine, save Sapience, appears to read the forums.

Hi, Sapience--

Thanks for the hard work y'all have done to take out the "trash", and I apologize for my part in making it harder for clean-up to take place. What was acceptable for reporting the occasional spammers clearly wasn't the right approach to the avalanche situation of the weekend, we just didn't know it at the time.

For future reference--are you saying the more spam reports the better in a siege situation, in order to hit that "alarm threshold"?

In other words, should we not assume that a view translates to a report and generate our own report, since we're not going to mark future spam posts with /reported replies? I'm thinking specifically in terms of the more egregious spam situations like we had this weekend, rather than our usual "click fraud" sports spammers. Those are rank amateurs compared to the voodoo zombie love-guru law expert astrologist spambots.

Belle

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBelle0927 View Post
    For future reference--are you saying the more spam reports the better in a siege situation, in order to hit that "alarm threshold"?
    Yes, since it helps us ID a problem as it is happening. Assuming everyone who read a thread reported it very often results in the thread never actually having been reported.

It doesn't take any more work on our end, because all of the reports of a given thread stack up, so we can see X thread was reported Y times.

The spam alert goes off to alert a moderator if enough people report-even out of hours.
    what to do re spam storm: open post. go to triangle at the bottom of post. Click on tringle. Click report. Give details.
    eg ' multiple spam advertisements by this poster in a number of forums.' (Copy this if you are going to do multiple reports.) Hit submit.
    You can only report 1 a minute.
    Do NOT reply to thread (even to say reported).
    [COLOR="#DDA0DD"][CENTER][B]Peralda[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - The Numenorean Guard - Landroval~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[B]Yvandriel[/B] - Minstrel - 100 - Extraordinary Adventurers' League - Laurelin[/CENTER][/COLOR][COLOR="#EE82EE"][CENTER]And the minstrel sang to them……”and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness.”[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Those people should look for a girlfriend imo....
    [CENTER]Baronth - Alemis - Aipod - Alessandro - Talyla - Viyle | [B]Ombra e Fiamma[/B] - [Gilrain][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]
    Retired[/CENTER]