We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Red face I Want to Upgrade to Premium

Would the cheapest way to do this be by purchasing something small, like the riding skill?

Can I hand pick a really small item in the shop and pay like a dollar in order to upgrade to premium? Or do I have to buy points first and then use the points to buy something?

Quote Originally Posted by elderwarren View Post
    Would the cheapest way to do this be by purchasing something small, like the riding skill?

Can I hand pick a really small item in the shop and pay like a dollar in order to upgrade to premium? Or do I have to buy points first and then use the points to buy something?
    You upgrade to Premium by spending real money on the game. The cheapest way I know of is to buy the $8 package of Turbine Points.

Spending points is irrelevant. You are Premium after buying them, but you never have to spend them. Though I'm sure you WILL; the Riding skill is important to most people.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

If it works like DDO, I think you have to either pay for a VIP service for a while, after which, when your VIP runs out it will revert to Premium. Either that, or you have to buy for Turbine points or use a time card. If buying TP (Turbine Points, not Toilet Paper) works, then you could probably get away with buying the minimum amount.

As others have mentioned, you just have to buy something with real money (real money being $US, GBP, or Euros. I'm not sure Turbine takes anything else).

The cheapest items I could find are (assuming $US currency):

$7.99 - 600 TP pack. [found on the store in game]
    $10.00 - Sam Gamgee starter pack (a fourth bag, account wide riding skill, horse, and gold cap lifted. For current and future characters). [found on the website market under "special offers"]
    $15.00 - One month of VIP (swift travel, fourth and fifth bags, riding skill for characters level 20+ (buy the horse with in game gold or grind at a festival), unlocked traits, but only for current characters) + 500 TP. [all over the place. Note that unless you are using some sort of gift card, you will have to manually cancel to avoid being re-billed. Don't cancel until every character is logged in as a VIP (and any possible character you want to play is created as a VIP).]

I'm guessing that premium won't help you that much and that you are better off waiting until you are ready to at least spring for the month of VIP. The swift travel is *really* worth it, never mind all the other good stuff. I would also point out that if you are interested in trying out other characters (classes/races/servers), that the Sam Gamgee pack will easily make up the "missing" 600 TP very quickly with all the extra deeds dropping faster. On a more grumpy note, the mithril edition seems to be no longer available.

Everything I needed to know about paying real money for this game. Update (note: not a endorsement of specific purchases, especially traveler bundle). These are also becoming more than a bit out of date (you may have to recompute a few things without the mithril edition being available).

Go VIP for one month.

This unlocks all of the traits and bags for free as well as eliminates the money cap. In addition, you can get your mount via a quest available at level 20.

You also get 500 TP to spend wherever.

This is probably the best cheap deal to get premium because it includes many things you will want at some point anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Karimi View Post
    Go VIP for one month.

This unlocks all of the traits and bags for free as well as eliminates the money cap. In addition, you can get your mount via a quest available at level 20.

This is probably the best cheap deal to get premium because it includes many things you will want at some point anyway.
    You'll also get access to all the level 1-50 quests for the duration of the subscription. Which is usually enough time to level to 50 without needing to buy additional quest packs. Though of course, if you plan on making alts at any point you may very well want to purchase the quests.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Galuhad | Narvelan[/B]
    Lore Breakers of Eldar[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/list.php?skinnerid=3762"]Plugins[/URL] | [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?538975-Accounts-for-New-Players"]New Player Guide[/URL] | [URL="http://www.twitch.tv/galuhad"]Twitch[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Go VIP for one month.

This is absolutely the best value approach and definitely what I'd do if I could do it over again. But as noted upthread, it's not the cheapest if you really only want to get premium and then never do anything else that involves points; the lowest-priced points purchase is always the cheapest. But the few extra dollars for Karimi's approach are definitely worth how much more you get for it, it's like six times as much value for less than twice the money.

A friend of mine who brought me into this game has told me he got Premium through spending the Turbine points he earned from Free-to-Play. He never spent any real-life money. Is this possible, or did it used to be possible? Perhaps through his purchasing an expansion pack with Turbine points earned in F2P?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbous View Post
    A friend of mine who brought me into this game has told me he got Premium through spending the Turbine points he earned from Free-to-Play. He never spent any real-life money. Is this possible, or did it used to be possible? Perhaps through his purchasing an expansion pack with Turbine points earned in F2P?
    That kind of logic doesn't make sense. That would mean that there is no need for Premium accounts at all. Why would they have F2P accounts distinct from Premium at all then?
    The truth is that you can earn a fine amount of Turbine Points through doing deeds as early as level 10-15, but there is an essential difference between receiving sometimes for free and paying for it.

You've got to either: be a former VIP (Subscriber), or buy Turbine Points from LOTRO market. In both cases, you need to invest some real money to receive Premium status.

As for your friend, maybe he was referring to the fact that there was a 14-day VIP trial available for everyone who was ready to share their credit card info with Turbine. This offer lasted for about 15-20 days, and it ended on 6th January. Everyone who subscribed for the trial period got to keep the Premium account after the trial period ended. That was a limited time offer though, and is no longer active.

Quote Originally Posted by BosDragon View Post
    That kind of logic doesn't make sense. That would mean that there is no need for Premium accounts at all. Why would they have F2P accounts distinct from Premium at all then?
    One could theorize that Premium could have been awarded to certain LOTRO store purcases only - i.e. the big expansions that cost mega points - as a reward for continued loyalty. But you're right, it doesn't make much business sense. Yet he has a premium account and he never spent any real money, nor provided any credit card info.
    Last edited by Bulbous; Jan 27 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Nope.

At some point he must have paid cash money in to be premium. You can spend points earned in game, but they don't kick you into Premium status.

ETA-I see someone mentioned the recent free vip promotion, I believe that would do the trick. But otherwise, he spent money on something.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

Another way to a premium account without spending anything was having an old 14-day trial account from before the game went F2P. I also seem to remember right around the time the game went F2P that there were a few other loop holes that could get you moved up to a premium account. But you definitely cannot become premium simply by spending Turbine Points.

Your friend must be mistaken, because merely spending points will not make you Premium. If your friend had an account before September 2010 when the game went free-to-play, then they got credit for being ex-VIP and are premium.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    Your friend must be mistaken, because merely spending points will not make you Premium. If your friend had an account before September 2010 when the game went free-to-play, then they got credit for being ex-VIP and are premium.
    There was another way. Between late December and early January there was a deal which gave players a 14-day VIP pass, and that left the player as premium (and with other, even better goodies) afterwards. I shouted in the forums for all f2p players to try it (there were issues requiring a credit card), but I have no idea if Turbine will ever run it again.

Quote Originally Posted by yawumpus View Post
    There was another way. Between late December and early January there was a deal which gave players a 14-day VIP pass, and that left the player as premium (and with other, even better goodies) afterwards. I shouted in the forums for all f2p players to try it (there were issues requiring a credit card), but I have no idea if Turbine will ever run it again.
    Hmm, wasn't that just mentioned repeatedly in a few prior responses? That's the 14-day VIP trial that others mentioned...

But seriously, there have been sales, where something was on sale for a very low cash cost. Perhaps your friend simply purchased something small, and thought he spent TP, when it was actually real money that was spent. There's also the thought that maybe they didn't spend their own money, perhaps they inherited the account from someone else, or someone made a purchase on their behalf.

As it is, the game has many benefits for all tiers/types of players. There's really only a couple things that can't be purchased with TP, I think swift travel is the one thing that requires that you be a past subscriber in order to use. This doesn't mean that you get the ability just by spending real cash, you do actually have to have VIP status at one point or the other, in order to use swift travel. Those who took advantage of the free VIP trial qualify, even if they didn't actually pay for the subscription.

Go VIP for one month.
    Note that the unlocks you get this way apply to ALL your characters that log in during this time. So if you have unused character slots you might want to create a new char just so that it unlocks things before the VIP expires.