We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Legacies Discussion

I have been thinking hard about the best legacies combo for tanking and ranged PvP (for the most part). What is everyone's opinion on the best legacy combo for each roll. I know the game is kind of broken right now in regards to tanking because everything is such face-rolled through. I have full faith that those issueswill be fixed though and tanks will be viable in end game, raids, and instances.

Weapon-Tanking (sword for the parry)

Light Skill damage
    In The Fray attack duration
    Shield Buff duration
    parry skills are not need because it is too easy to cap. After the previous three, i am not sure what is a "must" for tanking? I could see the usefulness of Surety of Death damage over time and Gambit Lifetap damage.

Javelin -Tanking

Fist Gambit buff duration
    Fist Gambit critical rating

After those two i am torn between Shield gambit, healing bonus, In The Fray morale regen, In Combat Power Regeneration,DC Mitigations Per Target

Weapon- Range PvP

Gambit Lifetap damage
    Hampering Javelin duration
    Javelin Skills Max Range
    Spear Gambit damage
    Marked and Diminished Tgt debuff
    Light Skill damage

Javelin- Range PvP

Javelin Skills Movement Miss Penalty
    Spear-Shield Gambit damage
    Shield Piercer duration

other than these, i am not sure what is worth while.
    I would love to here other people's thoughts!!!

TANK

Sword...

Light skill damage does not effect life taps even when they do light damage. 5% isnt much for lightDots except maybe desolation.

You mean parry will easily cap with rating or the extra parry % from sword? Take note the extra 3 or 4% from sword goes over cap. I still find it hard to cap parry without extra help for wall of steel when you have gear which has no parry rating.

Vit
    Might
    meele stance attack duration
    wall of steel parry
    shield gambit buff duration
    javelin skill max range

Possible 7th legacy: Agi/life tap damage. Agility would be 130 crit, 520 evade, 1300 PM, 260 parry, 650 TM. Agility would be better for single target tanking and life tap damage aoe. Since the boost is quite minimal for single target tanking, i would say life tap damage.
    Dont put any points to stats because they only go from 130 to 139. Max damage and other legacies first and put the remaining points to vitality.

Javelin...

Conviction heal
    Shield gambit heal
    Dc mitigation
    Fist gambit buff duration for surety of death block and parry bonus
    Shield mastery block rating
    Vitality

Possible 7th legacy : might/agility

Might atm is better but if it no longer gives masteries at some point, then agility.

Fist gambit crit rating will not benefit lifetaps or LightDoTS. It will only benefit the initial damage of other fist gambits besides fierce resolve line.

PVP(ranged as you asked)

Sword:

Might
    Agility
    Spear gambit damage
    hampering javelin duration
    javelin skill max range
    In the fray attack duration/light damage

Possible 7th: Fate(group playing)/vitality(solo)/surety of death DoT

This one is tricky with the 6th and 7th spot. As we know war cry line is not ranged even in assailment and for that reason does not either take penalty from "harried" debuff when used from assailment. Switching to in the fray would grant +10% meele damage for 10s and therefore attack duration for meele stance would be better. Big problem Obviosuly is the clearing of gambit panel when switching stance especially if you are being debuffed by atack duration debuffs, kited and dont have masteries.
    Propably light damage and surety of death dot. SoD legacy also works for tier 4 DoT so the gambits it benefits are Spear of virtue(meele), surety of death and desolation.

Javelin:

Spear-shield gambit damage
    javelin skill movement miss penalty
    Vitality
    Might
    Agility
    Stance in combat power regen

Possible 7th: adroit manoveur duration(if you play in groups) / Fate (if you play solo)

PS: If might no longer gives PM or TM at some point, then replace them with other possible 7th legacies. They really screwed us up by continueing the might period after HD so use might legacies atm at your own risk. The change may be behind a corner or really far away so thats why it is a bit risky. I call it risky because it always drains recourses and whether it is good investment or not is the risky part.
    Terminaattori of Elendilmir

My current LIs for tanking:

Sword for the +3% Parry w/ no crystals
    +Spear Gambit Parry Rating (r6)
    +Fist-Spear Gambit Power Cost (r9)
    +Shield Gambit Buff Duration (r9)
    +In the Fray Attack Duration (r9)
    +Gambit Lifetap Damage (r9)
    -Shield-Spear Gambit Power Cost (r9)
    -Javelin Skills Max Range (r9)

Javelin w/ 3 crystals
    +In the Fray Morale Regen (r9)
    +In Combat Power Regeneration (r9)
    +Fist Gambit Buff Duration (r9)
    +Shield Gambit Line Healing (r9)
    -Defiant Challenge Mitigations per Target (r5)
    -Shield Mastery Block Rating (r9)
    -Vitality (r6)

With my current gear I don't cap parry. WoS gives me 26.5% and 3% of that is the sword bonus. They're bringing down the parry rating cap with the update later this month so it may do it then. I didn't bother with Fist Gambit Critical Rating and went with the Buff Duration Instead. I mix some DPS pieces in my tanking gear so I have a decent amount of critical rating as it is (~20%). Same with Resist Rating legacies, I just obtain more finesse off the DPS pieces there as well (19.5%).

I don't have any PvP input, sorry. I just stay in PvE land and tank things on my warden.

This is all of great help! Please keep it coming....i will post later on my thoughts when i have time!

Quote Originally Posted by jani16 View Post
    PVP(ranged as you asked)

Sword:

Might
    Agility
    Spear gambit damage
    javelin skill max range
    A follow-up question, if I may. Does the 'spear gambit damage' legacy work with the ranged version of the gambits in assailment stance? My little warden usually runs solo with an Assailment build and will be getting his first legendary items soon so this is a good thread for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrom-of-Eldar View Post
    A follow-up question, if I may. Does the 'spear gambit damage' legacy work with the ranged version of the gambits in assailment stance? My little warden usually runs solo with an Assailment build and will be getting his first legendary items soon so this is a good thread for me.
    It doesnt work. It is mainly there because there are times you need to switch meele because of the "harried" debuff and the fact assailment builds gambits slower than in the fray. Meele classes may pot your -45% slow and use their own slow on you. When this happens, try to get power attack and mighty blow bleeds used and hope snap shot activates and you can reuse the slow or ambush.
    When you get in meele it is basically a choice of either brink of victory line in assailmen or switching to in the fray and use power attack line. There are pros and conns for both

Power attack line in the fray
    +gambits build faster
    +unmitigated bleeds
    -harder to build gambits because of 2.5m builder range
    -you will get kited more
    -animation delay when switching to a stance
    -gambit panel resets when switching stance
    +- 2 legacy requirements (spear gambit damage, in the fray attack duration)

redline traits:
    +9% spear gambit damage (3 points)
    +2 points for physical mastery or gambit builder damage

Brink of victory in assailment
    +no stance switch
    +evade rating
    +miss chance
    +40m builder range
    +you wont get kited as much
    -gambits build slower
    +- 2 legacy requirements (light damage, surety of death DoT)
    +light damage increases damage of ambush, wages of fear, hampering javelin when using light oil

redline traits:
    +20% light damage (5 points)
    +increases damage of ambush, WoF and hampering javelin with light oil

Out of these 2 options, i would choose the spear gambit damage + in the fray attack duration because of the unmitigated bleeds, though i dont know which one would work better right now. In the fray also gives +10% meele damage with the yellwo trait, i dont see a reason right now to trait marked target because it has a long delayed animation after being used + bleeds cannot be mitigated anyway.
    The other option is to switch weapon to meele fighting weapon but this is only if you have the recourses + skill to do it. It would require more slots and clicking obvioisly to do this. Another conns for weapon switching is the lagg it increases on you a bit and you will lose the weapon for half a second and therefore 1 auto attack and all your parry chance for that half a sec. These are small things and rarely are the difference between life and dead but guess they can make the difference in some cases.

PS: if you dont care about meele gambits at all, then good options are vitality, fate and light damage legacies.
    Last edited by jani16; Jan 22 2014 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrom-of-Eldar View Post
    Currently, no. Spear gambit damage worked on Assailment stance spear gambits from the stance introduction to HD launch, and spear-shield gambit damage and spear gambit power cost reduction still work. Please feel free to /bug it.

Even when it worked, it only applied to initial damage, not to bleeds.
    Gremblus, Seuer, Grelob, and various others of Arkenstone

Quote Originally Posted by Gremus View Post
    Currently, no. Spear gambit damage worked on Assailment stance spear gambits from the stance introduction to HD launch, and spear-shield gambit damage and spear gambit power cost reduction still work. Please feel free to /bug it.

Even when it worked, it only applied to initial damage, not to bleeds.
    So, it was suppose to work then???

TANK

Sword...

Light skill damage does not effect life taps even when they do light damage. 5% isnt much for lightDots except maybe desolation.

You mean parry will easily cap with rating or the extra parry % from sword? Take note the extra 3 or 4% from sword goes over cap. I still find it hard to cap parry without extra help for wall of steel when you have gear which has no parry rating.

Vit
    Might
    meele stance attack duration
    wall of steel parry
    shield gambit buff duration
    javelin skill max range

Possible 7th legacy: Agi/life tap damage. Agility would be 130 crit, 520 evade, 1300 PM, 260 parry, 650 TM. Agility would be better for single target tanking and life tap damage aoe. Since the boost is quite minimal for single target tanking, i would say life tap damage.
    Dont put any points to stats because they only go from 130 to 139. Max damage and other legacies first and put the remaining points to vitality.

Javelin...

Conviction heal
    Shield gambit heal
    Dc mitigation
    Fist gambit buff duration for surety of death block and parry bonus
    Shield mastery block rating
    Vitality

Possible 7th legacy : might/agility

Might atm is better but if it no longer gives masteries at some point, then agility.

Fist gambit crit rating will not benefit lifetaps or LightDoTS. It will only benefit the initial damage of other fist gambits besides fierce resolve line.

PVP(ranged as you asked)

Sword:

Might
    Agility
    Spear gambit damage
    javelin skill max range

Possible 7th: Fate(group playing)/vitality(solo)/surety of death DoT

This one is tricky with the 6th and 7th spot. As we know war cry line is not ranged even in assailment and for that reason does not either take penalty from "harried" debuff when used from assailment. Switching to in the fray would grant +10% meele damage for 10s and therefore attack duration for meele stance would be better. Big problem Obviosuly is the clearing of gambit panel when switching stance especially if you are being debuffed by atack duration debuffs, kited and dont have masteries.
    Propably light damage and surety of death dot. SoD legacy also works for tier 4 DoT so the gambits it benefits are Spear of virtue(meele), surety of death and desolation.

Javelin:

Spear-shield gambit damage
    javelin skill movement miss penalty
    Vitality
    Might
    Agility
    Stance in combat power regen

Possible 7th: adroit manoveur duration(if you play in groups) / Fate (if you play solo)

PS: If might no longer gives PM or TM at some point, then replace them with other possible 7th legacies. They really screwed us up by continueing the might period after HD so use might legacies atm at your own risk. The change may be behind a corner or really far away so thats why it is a bit risky. I call it risky because it always drains recourses and whether it is good investment or not is the risky part.
    Wouldn't the light damage bonus be worth it for threat? Because 5% actually would be increased by an additional 300% to tanking damage for threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Creston View Post
    Wouldn't the light damage bonus be worth it for threat? Because 5% actually would be increased by an additional 300% to tanking damage for threat.
    Yea, the 5% would be 5%x4 increase with threat.
    Though if you think how often do you use the gambits this legacy has effect. This legacy doesnt work for life taps even when they do light damage, it may be a bug. So the legacy only works for light DoT and light initial damage. Since we dont need fist-shield gambits for evade because we cap already, i would say surety of death DoT is more useful because it also effects the desolation DoT and is 10% instead of 5%. But as we know we are limited to 7 legacies and 750 points with SA so do we really need that 5% light damage when for example puting 130 might or agility legacy without puting any points provides 1300 PM and 650 TM, which would definitley work for lifetaps but also other damaging skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Creston View Post
    So, it was suppose to work then???
    Yes, since it used to work and similar boosts still work on Assailment gambits, it is safe to assume that spear gambit damage is supposed to apply to ranged spear gambits.
    Mind you, even when it worked, it (and spear-shield gambit damage boosts still have this problem) only boosted ranged wall of steel and ranged onslaught by 1/3, ranged dark before dawn by 1/2. The same bug existed for melee spear gambits and was fixed I think when RoR came out. So if it got fixed, it might only get fixed partway...

With that said, feel free to /bug it. I feel like my bug reports over the past few years have been automatically tossed in the trash can but maybe more voices would be heard.
    Gremblus, Seuer, Grelob, and various others of Arkenstone

Yea, the 5% would be 5%x4 increase with threat.
    Though if you think how often do you use the gambits this legacy has effect. This legacy doesnt work for life taps even when they do light damage, it may be a bug. So the legacy only works for light DoT and light initial damage. Since we dont need fist-shield gambits for evade because we cap already, i would say surety of death DoT is more useful because it also effects the desolation DoT and is 10% instead of 5%. But as we know we are limited to 7 legacies and 750 points with SA so do we really need that 5% light damage when for example puting 130 might or agility legacy without puting any points provides 1300 PM and 650 TM, which would definitley work for lifetaps but also other damaging skills.
    Good point...how much a percentage increase to damage is about 130 agility?

Quote Originally Posted by SvenNiscadae View Post
    With my current gear I don't cap parry. WoS gives me 26.5% and 3% of that is the sword bonus. They're bringing down the parry rating cap with the update later this month so it may do it then.
    Yeah, I'm replying to myself here. They really didn't change the rating caps for bpe that much apparently. For myself, my block didn't change at all, parry went up a tiny bit and evade went down a little bit. I'm not sure how much overcapped I was on evade but it couldn't have been that much. Yeah, I'm still not motivated enough to wear +evade gear.

12.1 > 12.2
    8272 block (17.1%) > 8272 block (17.1%)
    11038 parry (23.4%) > 11038 parry (23.5%) (using a sword so there's +3% on that, so it's really 20.5%)
    16700 evade (25%) > 16700 evade (24.3%)

and to be somewhat on topic...

...provides 1300 PM and 650 TM, which would definitley work for lifetaps but also other damaging skills.
    Unless they've stealthily changed it in 12.2, physical/tactical mastery does not contribute to lifetap damage.
    Last edited by SvenNiscadae; Jan 24 2014 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SvenNiscadae View Post
    Yeah, I'm replying to myself here. They really didn't change the rating caps for bpe that much apparently. For myself, my block didn't change at all, parry went up a tiny bit and evade went down a little bit. I'm not sure how much overcapped I was on evade but it couldn't have been that much. Yeah, I'm still not motivated enough to wear +evade gear.

12.1 > 12.2
    8272 block (17.1%) > 8272 block (17.1%)
    11038 parry (23.4%) > 11038 parry (23.5%) (using a sword so there's +3% on that, so it's really 20.5%)
    16700 evade (25%) > 16700 evade (24.3%)
    Down .7% versus up .1%? That seems rather odd.

Quote Originally Posted by rannion View Post
    Down .7% versus up .1%? That seems rather odd.
    I noticed this too.... i didnt see anything in the notes about it either. It only talks about caps. Anyone know what the caps changed to?