We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How do you restart the Elf-stone?

For my current chapter 3 class quest I've been given an elf-stone because the quest actually requires a fellowship. It worked very well and I was within 100 meters of my goal, but in the dark I took a wrong turn and by the time I got back to where I needed to be the 15 minute timer on the elf-stone had run out.

It looked like it said I could use it again in 58 minutes so I logged out and waited until it was daylight in the game to resume. But the stone wouldn't restart.

After getting killed by the first enemy I encountered, I retreated, hoping the stone could be activated if I travelled to the area again. Thirty minutes later I was back, but the stone is still dormant. Do I have to cancel the quest and return to the quest-giver to resume, or is there another way to get the stone to work? This isn't just some side-mission, it's my path forward in the game, and the only alternative I see is to level up about 10 levels so the mobs will ignore me when I return.

Did you activate the *correct* stone? At a certain moment in the epic quest sequence, you have two in your inventory. The one from Glorfindel that is used for the *research* in the deepest cavern of the troll caves, and the other that is supposed to give inspiration, and does *not* appear as an icon in the quest shortlist. You have to activate the latter first.

Greetings, Polymachos

Ah, different quest. This is for Rune-keeper, no Glorfindel involved. Just the one stone, which worked for 15 minutes and won't restart.

These tend to need to be activated in very specific places. Such as the entrance to a cave, or along road leading to the objective. Try activating it in the same place you did last time, if you remember where that was, or retrace the steps you would have taken when you first arrived to do this quest.
    [SIZE=3][b]Leader of [COLOR="#FFD700"]The Rangers of Eriador[/COLOR], Snowbourn[/b][/SIZE]
    [color=#00BF00]Brya, Balthelion, Fyore, Iarngard, Madic, Eoradain, Trystana, Pendalas, Kharmul, Arkunir, Holibrand, Tifridh, Freawyn, Adlanniel, Tiraniel, Lilija, Theda[/color]
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0szyANQhriMn42fCDdke1EMAOcdzmr9v"]Let's Play LOTRO (YouTube Series)[/URL] ~ [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?461498-The-Rangers-of-Eriador"]Kin Info/Recruitment[/URL]

That's exactly what I thought, and I've done it twice, to no avail. There is a place where the elite mobs switch from 25 to 35, and that is where I got the message before that it would be a good place to activate the stone. But both times I retraced my steps there was no such message, and countless clicks on the stone as I passed through the area just got a message that using it had no effect.

But perhaps I've done this wrong, if others have succeeded in doing so. Otherwise, could cancelling the quest allow me to get it again from the guest-giver? I don't want to cancel if that would just turn off the road forward. I'm currently about four levels above the quest level, so I can level up some more and try again without the stone. (I play solo, so finding a fellowship isn't really an option.)

This is not a Rune-keeper specific quest but belongs to the North Council quest line, if I remember correctly it is given by the elven leader. You activate the inspiration about 100 meters outside the gate to the elite orcs, enter the area, turn left at the junction, go through two gates, turn right as soon as possible, cross the trench and work your way towards the boss. The stone will not work if you leave this route.

Hope that helps.

Greetings, Polymachos

That particular quest is the hardest to get the stone timing right on because you can easily run out before you run the gauntlet unless you know the route (which is nearly impossible to know since you can't scout it) and even then it can run out if you take too long dealing with the trash mobs.

I actually go back there now and then, as a level cap character, and watch for someone struggling with it so I can clear the path for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Polymachos View Post
    This is not a Rune-keeper specific quest but belongs to the North Council quest line, if I remember correctly it is given by the elven leader. You activate the inspiration about 100 meters outside the gate to the elite orcs, enter the area, turn left at the junction, go through two gates, turn right as soon as possible, cross the trench and work your way towards the boss. The stone will not work if you leave this route.

Hope that helps.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Yes, this is exactly what happened when I first did the quest. With 4 minutes left on the stone timer I had the baddie target on my HUD radar, but took a wrong turn in the dark and the clock ran out before I could get back. I have since retraced my steps twice and no message has reappeared while I was in the zone between the 25s and the 35s. I clicked to activate the stone over and over again in that area, without result.

Should I have ventured further into the elite orc area? Or......??????

If you want help, you should be specific with your question. Put the actual name of the quest in your post. Do not try to describe it as best you can recall, because (as evidenced here) your recollection might not be all that accurate.

Now, I'm assuming you're working on the Epic quest Volume 1, Book 3, Chapter 5, Part II: Tending the Glade... If so, as others have said, this is not a class quest. Everyone gets the exact same quest, regardless of race or class.

After you use the Stone to get the Inspiration buff at the entrance to the Orc camp, you enter. Then, you're immediately at a fork, you take the left path. Then, after you fight some more Orcs, you come to a pit with the your target on the other side. You have to take the right path to go around the pit. Else you're going outside the bounds of your Inspiration buff.

If you want help, you should be specific with your question. Put the actual name of the quest in your post. Do not try to describe it as best you can recall, because (as evidenced here) your recollection might not be all that accurate.

Now, I'm assuming you're working on the Epic quest Volume 1, Book 3, Chapter 5, Part II: Tending the Glade... If so, as others have said, this is not a class quest. Everyone gets the exact same quest, regardless of race or class.

After you use the Stone to get the Inspiration buff at the entrance to the Orc camp, you enter. Then, you're immediately at a fork, you take the left path. Then, after you fight some more Orcs, you come to a pit with the your target on the other side. You have to take the right path to go around the pit. Else you're going outside the bounds of your Inspiration buff.
    You're right, I should have been more specific, and quest is exactly the one you describe. But, if you will excuse me for saying, you should read what I have written more carefully. What you describe is what I have done. It went wrong as I explained, a wrong turn in the dark meant that the 15 minute timer ran out. What I want to know is how to get the stone to work again?

Remaining in the same place until sunrise didn't help. Retracing the route from the beginning (twice) didn't result in the message to use the stone. Is this a bug, or am I just not returning to the proper spot? If I cancel the quest, can I receive it again and start over? (Or should I just level up to 45 and presumably able to defeat the level 35 elite orcs?)

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius_Pendragon View Post
    But, if you will excuse me for saying, you should read what I have written more carefully.
    Ok, as long as you excuse me for thinking that if the description of the quest is inaccurate, so should all following details.
    What I want to know is how to get the stone to work again?
    Check your buffs. On expiration of the Inspiration buff, you should have gotten the Exhaustion debuff which prevents you from gaining Inspiration.

If you no longer have Exhaustion and are standing in the correct spot to use the Stone (outside the Orc camp entrance) and still can not regain the Inspiration buff, then it might be a bug. Cancel the quest, return to Tham Giliath, wait the remainder of the 5 minutes and take the quest back up again.

Thank you!!!!