We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Unhappy I broke my LotRO and need some help.

I have been running LotRO on Ubuntu for several years now without much in the way of problems - even cut scenes finally work without stuttering). In about the last month, though, (I believe since Adobe broke with Linux) the LotRO store has been loading a white square and nothing else. In trying to resolve this issue, I found a post on the Forums here somewhere that recommended updating WINE to 1.7. Well, I tried that and now I can't get into the game.

Both the PyLotRO and the Lord of the Rings Online launchers work as expected, and I'm able to log into my account and select my server as usual. However, neither actually launches the game. They just dead end to nothing, it seems. Could anyone recommend something I might have forgotten to do (or done wrong) that would allow the launcher to work fine but fail to actually launch the game?

I'm running:
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32-bit (up to date)
    WINE 1.7.44 (currently set for Windows7 - not sure what Windows it was set for previously)

I know that it has been quite some time since you posted your question, but in case you haven't found a solution yet:

Have you tried to do a fresh install in a rather new Wine Version? (1.7.50 works fine for me right now)

Quote Originally Posted by StudentHut View Post
    I know that it has been quite some time since you posted your question, but in case you haven't found a solution yet:

Have you tried to do a fresh install in a rather new Wine Version? (1.7.50 works fine for me right now)
    And here's hoping it works.

And I've just mentioned this to my husband, who plays LotRO
    on a bog-standard PC, but owns a Linux machine inherited from
    his sister, for which he has yet to find any use whatever.......
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone

Cool Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by StudentHut View Post

As there had been no responses for a long time, I gave up and just accepted that I wouldn't be able to buy anymore landscape soldier tokens or anything else from the Store. I recently tried again with the same results and began my search for solutions one more time, where i found your recommendation for a clean install.

I found that getting a clean install of Wine was a major challenge, first because the ppa kept trying to install a patch the instant I deleted a file, so I was constantly fighting to clean the old stuff off. I finally figured out what was happening and disabled (and removed) all of the ppa entries related to wine. I renamed my old wine folder, too, just to be sure I didn't end up with new and old together. Then I installed the Wine 1.7.x and reinstalled LOTRO clean. Somehow, I missed Winetricks in all of this and had to manually reinstall that as well, but the overall effect was that the launcher no longer hangs while downloading images or connecting to Akamai like it did with my previous install (in the past, it wasn't uncommon to have to open and close the launcher two or three times before it made it to the login screen). And, best of all, I can get into the game and the store finally works for me!

I also noticed: Instead of the wine icon when the launcher or game is running, I now have the lotro icon. And, of course, the old pyLORTO doesn't work anymore, though I'm sure I could reinstall it, but why bother? It hasn't loaded news in years - it was just a faster patch method when I had to fight with the launcher just to get past the loading and Akamai.

Anyways, thanks a ton for that rather late suggestion. It really did the trick. I just need to figure out why my video is stuttering a bit as that hasn't happened in years (probably a setting somewhere).