We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How can lootboxes sell for more than sturdy steel keys.

When the keys are a rarer drop.

Duuuuuuurhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Players are idiots!

Lootboxes sell for more on the auction house because you can buy keys in the store!

However if you go to:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...-bound_Lootbox

After seeing what's in each level of box, it does makes you wonder why anyone spends money on them?

And to add: you can get keys from every level of mobs (starting at lv20, I'd think, but not sure on that). So if you need a key, you can slay low-level mobs. If you want a level-cap lootbox, however, you need to slay mobs of lv90 or above! This makes the high-tier lootboxes harder to acquire, hence the increase in price.

Pretty much what they say. And I don't even know if I'd say lootboxes are more frequent. I have over 20 keys on one toon, all obtained through gameplay, and nary a lootbox to be seen. The precious few lootboxes I do get tend to be low-level, and I don't even bother with those anymore.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/102 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 105 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Just a head's up to anyone needing a key. Check the Store this week, look about a third of the way down the page.

https://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale
    [B]Crafting - Explorer - Tailor/Forestor/Prospector - 9s Across the Board[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmuar View Post
    Just a head's up to anyone needing a key. Check the Store this week, look about a third of the way down the page.

https://www.lotro.com/en/lotrostoresale
    Note that these are bound to account (typical for store purchases). I will likely destroy my key for storage space before a lootbox drops. Unbound steel keys tend to go for 10s of gold on the AH.

In my experience, the loot boxes are harder to get. I've got 4 keys on my main (in addition to the ones I got for the anniversary) and I think 1 box.

The only real exception is when you grind in the Barrowdowns, you can get a lot of level 20 boxes, but higher level ones are extremely rare in my experience. More so than keys.

I guess it's a good thing, in STO, boxes drop like ever 4-5 enemies you kill, so you have an inventory full of them.

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathili View Post
    And to add: you can get keys from every level of mobs (starting at lv20, I'd think, but not sure on that). So if you need a key, you can slay low-level mobs. If you want a level-cap lootbox, however, you need to slay mobs of lv90 or above! This makes the high-tier lootboxes harder to acquire, hence the increase in price.
    Starting at lvl 1. #Droppedinintro
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

One key confuses me

Since there are nine types of lockboxes, I don't see why there is much effort on any but the top. It takes the same key to open the first and last tier. I.e. the costs is not the 4g for the low-end box, it is the 14g for the key? Why are not the lower 8 tiers of lockboxes nearly worthless? It seems they would only appeal to impatient people who won't wait for a better box?

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Felisleo View Post
    Lootboxes sell for more on the auction house because you can buy keys in the store!

However if you go to:

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...-bound_Lootbox

After seeing what's in each level of box, it does makes you wonder why anyone spends money on them?
    I got a star lit crystal today from an eorlingas box. Usually I just get useless stuff that is worth less than a key. Wonder if it is because of the free key promotion? Might be a good week to open lootboxes lol