We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Potential new player with questions

Greetings fellow adventurers!

I am Tovarish, and I hail from a decade of playing MMO-RPG's! I have recently returned to World of Warcraft to re-explore the world of Role-play. However, I have come to find that the WoW RP scene has dwindled, and the RP that does exist, is lacking to say the least. Forum threads on MMO-Champion have all pointed to one place for a Roleplay MMO player to call home, LotrO. I am here to find out the community's opinion on Roleplay, both on the forums and in-game. Is it common? Do Roleplayers tend to be more casual and commonly OOC, or more hardcore, with all IC chat? What can I expect in terms of pre-max level content? I am willing to pay the sub fee if I get into the game enough, but at what point will the F2P version become more tedious than the sub version? IE: How far into the experience can I get before I either have to grind or simply purchase content necessary for progression? How long is the leveling experience?

Finally, I would also like to take this opportunity to perhaps find a guild, or at least a companion in the game. Somewhere I can feel comfortable asking questions and receiving competent answers. An RP guild would be all the better! I thank you in advance for your time and care.

Farewell, and until next time,
    Tovarish

Quote Originally Posted by Tovarish View Post
    Greetings fellow adventurers!

I am Tovarish, and I hail from a decade of playing MMO-RPG's! I have recently returned to World of Warcraft to re-explore the world of Role-play. However, I have come to find that the WoW RP scene has dwindled, and the RP that does exist, is lacking to say the least. Forum threads on MMO-Champion have all pointed to one place for a Roleplay MMO player to call home, LotrO. I am here to find out the community's opinion on Roleplay, both on the forums and in-game. Is it common? Do Roleplayers tend to be more casual and commonly OOC, or more hardcore, with all IC chat? What can I expect in terms of pre-max level content? I am willing to pay the sub fee if I get into the game enough, but at what point will the F2P version become more tedious than the sub version? IE: How far into the experience can I get before I either have to grind or simply purchase content necessary for progression? How long is the leveling experience?

Finally, I would also like to take this opportunity to perhaps find a guild, or at least a companion in the game. Somewhere I can feel comfortable asking questions and receiving competent answers. An RP guild would be all the better! I thank you in advance for your time and care.

Farewell, and until next time,
    Tovarish
    Well depends on what game"world" your on, if your on Eldar, i can help you out with anything you need mate.
    Hunter - Faralyne (Eldar - Active)

Warg - Justanibble (Eldar - Retired)

I haven't selected a character or world or anything yet, haven't played at all.

There are two main English language RP servers:

Laurelin - Former EU English server now located in US. A larger proportion of the players will be on UK time.
    Landroval - English RP server. Larger proportion will be US EST-PST times.

You can check the server forums for these two further down the main page for more info, event calendars, kinship (LOTRO name for guild) info, possible RP in forums (not sure), etc.

I don't RP myself, but I understand that a lot of RP takes place in Bree and the other low level towns. You can get to these places as low as level 6. I've heard of high level adventuring RP groups as well. Seems like something for everyone. (Even though I don't RP, I've got a character on Landroval so that I can attend the annual Weatherstock concert each July.)

As a free player, you can create two characters on each server, so you can check out as many servers as you wish. A new character has to complete the tutorial instance (10 min or less), then the starter instance, Archet or Thorin's Halls depending on race. Completing the starter instance could take you a couple of hours the first time and a mere 20 min by the 3rd or 4th. After the starter instance you are in the wide world and can go anywhere you can run to (and stay alive ).

The free content is enough to keep you going up to level 30 or so out of 95. As you complete deeds (find X locations in region Y, kill a lot of Z, complete a number of quests in region Y) you earn small amounts of Turbine Points (TP). You can use these to buy more content. If you complete almost all the deeds in the 4 free regions, you'll have enough TP to purchase Evendim, which will take you to level 40ish. Then it starts to get grindy. Level up another character on the same or another server to get TP, or continue levelling your first character without quests. Or you can buy TP or subscribe.

Levelling to cap can take as little as 60 hours of play, if you purchase/use every possible levelling bonus and know the content and optimum order in which to do things. You can also go as slowly as you wish. There are people who have been playing since the game went live in 2007 who have never reached level cap.

There are all sorts of sales and special deals for content. If you plan to stay in LOTRO long term, pay attention to these. You will eventually need to purchase the five expansions - Moria, Mirkwood, Return of Isengard, Riders of Rohan, and Helm's Deep. The first four sell as a pack for $40, but they were on sale for $20 at Christmas time with a purchase of the new Helm's Deep xpac at $40.

I think I've answered a lot of your questions. If you have more or want clarification, just ask on the forums. Despite all the bickering you may see in some threads, LOTRO players are a helpful group. Also the /advice or /ooc channels in-game are also good places for asking questions. You may be surprised to find that the worst-case response to a question in /advice is that nobody was looking and so nobody responds.

Have fun!
    Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Loringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard
    http://www.theoldergamers.com