We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    One advice I can give that might help in some cases, is to make a special chat tap primarly for global chat channels. This keeps the Standard chat clean and you only have to read the channel if you want to know is someone is searching a group.

Edit: Just to make it a bit more clear what kind of diary or day-in-a-life format I had in mind, here is the current week of development from the LT Dev. It is an awesome one man project btw. Similar to Banished.
    Suggestions: Tasks [URL="http://goo.gl/rt4M5"]en[/URL]|[URL="http://goo.gl/BBbhC"]de[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by FundinStrongarm View Post
    IMO, a single /world channel will quickly become the garbage that IS /glff. This is why I think it is important to have an official /world channel AND an official /globalLFF channel (and possibly one or two more - replacing all regional /trade and /advice channels with a global version, for example). There's a reason the most common globally used user created channel on most servers is called /glff or /globallff and isn't called /gOOC. I, too, will keep an eye on it at first. However, I fear that I will end up turning it off since it sounds like even the modest fig leaf of LFF won't be in the name and therefore the sky will be the limit on inanity.

I'm not saying they wouldn't need some oversight to keep people on task but I've noticed the official in-game channels do a fair bit of self moderation among the users. When you can't say "please take it to XXX channel", there's really no way but turning it off to stop some of the chatter.

I guess my only advice at this time is to call the new global channel GlobalOOC (which is what this new channel will be anyways) in the hopes that further global channels are added (like LFF, Advice and Trade) in the future.
    I don't see what difference having loads of official global channels would make to be honest. Even in the regional channels you rarely see trade or LFF used for anything, most chat happens in OOC anyway. The same would happen for lots of global channels. I think the /world channel is a great idea, I don't actually expect it to completely replace the user created channel on each server, I expect those to continue as well. Having a global channel that everyone knows about, newbies included, can only be a good thing.
    Council Of The West On Snowbourn

Runesi lvl 100 Rune Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Schinderhannes View Post
    Again, I don't try to demand anything here. Especially because I wouldn't want to be dragged in front of a camera myself, just to show people that I exist.
    I'm just thinking it could help in the big picture.
    But sure, there are other ways....
    There is one way that is a lot simpler: people can just stop being complete jerks in the forums. There is never, ever any circumstance where one must be scathing, snide, snarky or rude to communicate something. There are exactly zero situations that call for that. If someone is being that way, they shouldn't be welcome here. End of story.

If someone needs people 'humanized' in order to treat others with compassion or respect, then they're a sociopath who has no conscience. Because everyone - everyone - is human. No one should need to be 'humanized.' Especially in the forum for a game that anyone with two brain cells to rub together can see is created, developed and managed by a team that is as passionate about the game as we are.

No one has been as 'humanized' from the LotRO team nearly as much as Sapience has, and yet no one is treated with as much disrespect and outright contempt as him either. I think the theory that the team needs to be 'humanized' is a failure. In reality, there are just some people who need to change their behaviour or leave.

I already know the answer but worth bringing up anyway...

Can we get a message similar to what we have in a user created channel upon entering whatever this new /world channel is saying: "you have entered channel 'world', current users: XXX"?
    [center][img]http://i58.tinypic.com/2wrm5ja_th.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post

Can we get a message similar to what we have in a user created channel upon entering whatever this new /world channel is saying: "you have entered channel 'world', current users: XXX"?
    No. It will function the same way as the existing official channels function. The user created channels give the user count so you know whether it's worth staying int he channel or leaving it and joining another, more active, channel (since you can only have 4 active channels).

Just as well, people would instantly pounce on those numbers and try to figure out how many people were playing the game. That of course would be a faulty way of doing things in any event.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    No. It will function the same way as the existing official channels function. The user created channels give the user count so you know whether it's worth staying int he channel or leaving it and joining another, more active, channel (since you can only have 4 active channels).
    Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    Just as well, people would instantly pounce on those numbers and try to figure out how many people were playing the game. That of course would be a faulty way of doing things in any event.
    On the contrary, since we can only play on one server at a given time, it would be nice to know for those of use looking to do grouping content (or actively use the AH, or PvMP) if a server is worth leaving to join another, more active server.

I think I saw in the past that there is only plans for a single global channel being added as of now. As others have suggested, perhaps an officially supported glff channel that people could opt out of that displays a membership #?
    [center]Let our actions speak for themselves. Jinjaah has been pouring over every post in the Bullroarer forum. Please keep in mind that any experiences with previous LOTRO teams are not reflective of the current team, give us a chance[/center]

On the contrary, since we can only play on one server at a given time, it would be nice to know for those of use looking to do grouping content (or actively use the AH, or PvMP) if a server is worth leaving to join another, more active server.

I think I saw in the past that there is only plans for a single global channel being added as of now. As others have suggested, perhaps an officially supported glff channel that people could opt out of that displays a membership #?
    I can turn off channels and multi-box across more than one server. I'm not sure how their system works internally but if I have the channel filter disabled I'm not sure how it counts me.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

LOL not in a million years are they gonna put in the amount of players playing. Nice try though. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by rosey21 View Post
    LOL not in a million years are they gonna put in the amount of players playing. Nice try though. hehe
    I can understand why they wouldn't. A better system to find out where like-minded people reside is what I'm after.

I can understand why they wouldn't. A better system to find out where like-minded people reside is what I'm after.
    I think a lot more goes into that than simple population. How many of those people are playing the type of content we like to play, how many people are on during our time-zone, or during the times we like to play, what they are into, what's the social tone of things, etc. etc. and there will never be a better way to gauge that than simply rolling up a character on that server and giving it a try for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I think a lot more goes into that than simple population. How many of those people are playing the type of content we like to play, how many people are on during our time-zone, or during the times we like to play, what they are into, what's the social tone of things, etc. etc. and there will never be a better way to gauge that than simply rolling up a character on that server and giving it a try for a few days.
    Leveling is pretty easy, and goes relatively fast, but it is going to take more than a couple days to get to a level range where most playstyles can actively observe activity in what they're looking for. Doing this on dozens of servers is just plain unfeasible.

Leveling is pretty easy, and goes relatively fast, but it is going to take more than a couple days to get to a level range where most playstyles can actively observe activity in what they're looking for. Doing this on dozens of servers is just plain unfeasible.
    The bigger issue here is that there may be a kin or group that fits your preferred play style, but they may not be active in the pug world or in global chat or have any members leveling an alt at the same time. You may not ever find out about them even if you leveled to cap; it's all who you know or observing the kin tag in an area and making further inquiries.

Yes, and none of this is information you'd get from server population.

Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Estel

Please note: I am paraphrasing here. Anything said here is coming through my interpretation of what was said, and is subject to being corrected, so don't take all this as the final word.

If anyone who was present has any additions or corrections, feel free to post.

Video available here.

1. Any chance we will get new instruments
      There is always a chance that it will eventually happen, but there is nothing currently planned and so there won’t be anything anytime soon.
    2. How do you plan on improving epic battles this year
      They will talk about the details on this closer to the time, but they are currently looking at ways of making it so that players feel like they’re more directly involved, things like that.
    3. Do all these runs blur together for you
      Not at all, he really enjoys doing them, and seeing and how servers approach the run, different levels of participation and preparation, etc.
    4. Sapience reminds people that broad “is it possible” or “will this ever happen” questions aren’t likely to get a satisfactory answer because almost anything is possible, probabilities vary. The more broad the question you ask, the less likely you’ll get a satisfactory answer.
    5. Are the Hobnanigans field housing items functional are they cosmetic
      They are cosmetic only.
    6. Which has been your favourite run so far
      Anduin because it was like a military death march – they just went for it, they tore across the landscape and put up a crazy time. And it was more exciting because it came right after a time he thought wasn’t ever going to get beaten was just posted, and they beat it by a handful of seconds.
    7. Question about specifics of the new regions
      That is so far down the road that it’s not something they are talking about. Possibilities are endless.
    8. Question about U13.2
      He doesn’t know that they are doing a 13.2. If that changes he’ll let us know, but as of right now 14 is the next update.
    9. Any plans to scale the Rift
      None. For a variety of reasons you can find by reading the previous Hobbits to Isengard chats.
    10. Why do we have to quit the game to login to another server
      That’s just the way the game is built, and it would take too much work/resources to change that functionality, for the minor inconvenience of having to restart the client.
    11. Question about a bug
      File a bug report and they will take a look at it
    12. Is the current intention to skip icons for the Eorlingas crafting tiers and moving forward
      No he doesn’t think that’s the intention, it’s just a matter of work to be done and the icons being lower priority than other things. If the question is do they do icons or the cosmetic pet system, for example, they’re going to work on the cosmetic pet system.
    13. Could you stop making bear killing quests
      Probably not. Sorry. No one seems to be upset about killing the boars, though. He guesses it’s because bacon is so wonderful.
    14. If you were to play a character in any of the Tolkien films past or present, which would you choose
      He kind of likes Gimli, he has the beard. Or Faramir – he’s a big Faramir fan.
    15. Would Beornings get rage points if they walk into a house with a bear rug
      (Laughs) He’s going to pass that suggestion along.
    16. One these runs are done, what’s next
      They’ve been kicking around a bunch of ideas. One is to have a devs vs players Hobnanigans match or two, another is to do roundtables on a semi-regular basis. If you have suggestions for events similar to the hobbit runs, he recommends that you go to the forums and post suggestions there.
    17. How much longer will the screenshot of the week be running
      The current one is running until Monday. In terms of how long the contest will exist, they’ll probably keep doing them as long as people keep entering them.
    18. Can we expect to see the hobby system expanded on in the next 1 or 2 years
      He wouldn’t put a timetable on it. He doesn’t know of anything in the roadmap. He won’t say “never” but nothing is currently planned.
    19. Question about merging Moors of various servers together
      No. There currently is no tech for doing cross-server PvMP, and it’s not something they are working on or planning.
    20. Suggestion to turn on all festivals at once for the winning server
      He says the thought of that is really scary. He runs that by the ecommerce manager just to see the look on his face. No, he thinks that if he suggested that, the engineers and server teams would freak out. But the marketing guy was writing something in his book, and he’s afraid to ask what.
    21. Is there any entry limit on screenshot of the week
      One entry every 24 hours
    22. Why would the marketing person be freaked out by the festivals thing
      Because it actually takes several different teams and departments to coordinate everything that gets turned on with festivals, and there are store components for every festival, so adding everything to the store from every festival at once would probably be a full day’s work for him.
    23. Have you talked about the size/screen ratio of the in-game maps
      They haven’t got any plans of changing the size or ratio of the maps moving forward.
    24. Comment in chat about the world getting bigger and it being harder to talk to people at the other end of the world
      Solution incoming. In U14 they will be adding a global chat channel that will be turned on the minute we log in, and will enable players to chat with each other across the server without having to use or know about GLFF/unity/variants. We will immediately feel more connected to the world. Of course it can be turned off just like any other channel, for those who don’t want to use it.
    25. Question about guidelines for the new /world channel
      It will be a general chat channel. If down the road players still have a need for a global LFF channel, they will consider adding that, or a global trade or whatever.
    26. Do you play the game in your spare time
      Yes he does. He doesn’t get to play as much as he wants. He was thinking the other day that if he’d taken all the time he’s spent leveling 29 hobbits to level 10 he could have gotten a few more alts to level 95. And he has a few sitting at level 40 he’d like to get to cap.
    27. Why does it matter if you are on a mount
      Because it’s a matter of rendering. Every time you add a mount, every time you add a cloak, every time you add additional animation, effects, trees, walls, you are demanding that your computer do more work. It really doesn’t have as much to do with the server side of things, although mounted combat does a bit. It’s just a question of, you’re asking for more and there is, as with all things, there is a limit. Imagine putting food in your mouth. There comes a point where you’re going to have a problem. You can only get so much there and still be able to chew and still accomplish the task of eating. It’s the same thing with this. Cloaks have animations and they’re usually unique. Mounts have animations and they’re not necessarily in sync, they’re running at different speeds, they’re running with different animations, and all of this is stuff the client has to deal with. You will see the more that show up, the worse it gets, the fewer that show up, the less lag there is. A very large amount of this has to do with client side performance. He’s asked for 20 some-odd runs for people to not wear cloaks, not use mounts, and those who follow that rule run through really fast, and those who don’t run into lots of lag.
    28. What is your opinion on an option that disables cloaks
      If you are asking for one that disables other people’s cloaks, he will pass the suggestion along. They did add one to disable cosmetic pets, because that is entirely client-side, so being able to disable that in a large group with cosmetic pets is pretty important, especially for players with older systems. Which seems to be a surprisingly large number of LotRO players.
    29. Question about feedback on bug reports
      They don’t generally give feedback on bug reports. The feedback is a patch note that says it got fixed.
    30. Any thoughts on converting the sound format for musical instruments from ABC to MIDI
      No, they haven’t looked at changing any of the formats. They actually aren’t looking at making any changes to the music system at this time.
    31. Comment about not being able to shell out for a new computer every few years
      This is true, which is why he recommends that when you buy a new computer, you buy the absolute best you can afford, spend a bit extra on more RAM and a better video card than you think you’re going to need, because in a few years your computer will be completely outclassed. Down the line you can upgrade, which is what he’s done with his home computer. The core of it is about 4 years old, but he’s upgraded various components multiple times. Decent video cards are pretty cheap right now, and that’s one thing he recommends spending on if you can. Especially if you have an integrated graphics card. He strongly urges against using integrated graphics if you can at all avoid it.
    32. Question about why expansions, etc get news announcements, while bugfixes don’t
      Because one is news and one isn’t. A new feature is news. A bugfix is just a bugfix. Bugfixes aren’t usually newsworthy or noteworthy.
    33. What about new hairstyles and cosmetics like long hair for elves
      Currently nothing planned or scheduled but he will pass on the suggestion.
    34. Any update on what the marketing guy wrote in his book
      He literally wrote “All festivals sometime?”
    35. Do you think they will ever open up classes to other races
      He knows they keep talking about it. Every now and then he will wander over and say, “Hey, what do you guys think of this combination.” And he thinks that as they go farther along it becomes more possible. He doesn’t want that to be taken as a statement that they’ll do it next week, but definitely the conversations do take place. When or if it happens is still up in the air. The conversation is happening, they’ll go from there and see what happens.
    36. Currently most special events happen on weekends. Any chance you’d ever do them during the week.
      They do them during the weekend because the overwhelming majority of the players are playing during the weekend. That’s why they do it on weekends, for maximum effect. They do try to start them on the Thursday and end them on the Monday to give people a better chance to get in on them, but generally speaking they run those things so the maximum number of people can play them, and generally speaking that’s a weekend.
    37. Do GMs share handles
      Not to his knowledge. As far as he knows they all have unique handles.
    38. Will Gondor get small updates in the same way as Dol Amroth and Pelargir
      He’s not sure that he fully understands the question but if it’s will these be expansions or just updates, they will be updates. They are not doing any full-fledged expansions this year. They will be more of a content update than an expansion.
    39. Are GMs working in the building or are they working from home
      The overwhelming majority of Turbine employees are in the building. There are a handful of individuals in Europe specifically for that region, but devs, most of the GMs, customer service and all that are in the building. So if you want a job at Turbine you have to first move to Boston or the surrounding area.
    40. When will the Spring Festival start
      He doesn’t have an exact date, but it’s sometime at the end of this month.
    41. What is your favourite Hobnanigans reward
      Chickens. He loves cosmetic pets.
    42. Are you going to multi-box and follow the run on your personal character from your home server to avoid suspicion
      Maybe, maybe did, maybe didn’t.
    43. Question about Bullroarer being open
      The Bullroarer server is only open when they have something new for us to test. Right now it is not open.
    44. Do you know if it’s intended that we can dye the various team rewards
      He doesn’t know.
    45. Can you pass on the suggestion to allow saving of different graphic and audio profiles
      He recommends posting the suggestion in the forums so he can point people directly to what’s being talked about. [That post is here – Frick]
    46. Can you tell anything more about the new kinship items
      Not right now, he doesn’t even think the Players Council has seen the outline of that yet. He will talk about it down the road in future hobbit runs.
      Conversation continues in text chat after the run.
    47. Sapience in reference to having tried to play a game of Hobnanigans while answering questions after the run (and it doesn’t really work out) says that one of the reasons that take the hobbits to Isengard works so well, is because he doesn't have to actually play during them. Once he tries to focus entirely on playing and doing it well, it becomes almost impossible to do a Q&A, keep an eye out for devs to grab, and anything else.
    48. Any progress on that 'Dev Roundtable' stream that was mentioned as a possibility?
      He thinks to expect updates every 48 hours is unrealistic. He’ll work on it. He has a lot he works on every day.
    49. How about make the symbol of the elder king (lvl 65) available in skirmish camps
      He’ll pass along the suggestion.
    50. Can you please do something with people who just block Hobnanigans fields with level 5-6 toons
      Report them.
    51. Would you please state what rule that's violating? It's not explict harassment. Especially when there's open fields/slots elsewhere. Multiboxing Legal, No botting, No Infamy (thus no rank farming)
      He would say griefing. He doesn't know what the GMs would call it, but it seems to him (in his sole personal opinion) to be a form of harassing/griefing. Ultimately, he thinks everyone does need to realize that if we want them to police everything rigidly we can't then complain about a "police state" when it means we get policed the same way. There has to be some flexibility and each issue is unique and handled that way.
    52. I'd like to see a stated response from the CSM team if possible
      Probably won't happen. Sadly people will quote out of context and complain. It's a no win.
    53. We've had the discretion vs consistency discussion. Communicated policies help
      Not really, mountains of rules and people still violate them then claim censorship, unfair, whatever. So no it really doesn't. And we’d be amazed at how many times people take rudeness for harassment. They're different. GMs and also the community team aren't there to make sure everyone is nice to us. Sometimes we just have to blow off the rudeness and worry about the real harassment.
    54. Is it sometimes hard to understand players, just because you are on the other side of the fence
      Not at all. He was a player before he got hired. He IS a player. You can't possibly do his job if you aren’t. He thinks the real issue is the other way around. He doesn't think players really understand the team. In fact, a lot of the time the things they say prove they really don't.
    55. I think there is a lot of "us/them" attitude that seems pointless at best, destructive at worst
      Yes. He thinks players forget one simple truth sometimes. They’ve got families and lives and this is how they support them. When we try to make the argument that they don't care or they're trying to kill the game or something similar, keep in mind we’re really saying, "You're trying to put yourself out of work." Obviously nothing could be farther from the truth. And that's without even going into the simple reality that they all love this game and the lore and the source material just as much as we do.
    56. Sapience mentions that we went over $1500 so far this year for Extra Life and just broke $70,000 combined for 2012-2014!
    57. It really grinds my gears whenever anyone says the devs are lazy or should spend 24/7 with their nose to the grindstone.
      He watches these guys come in sometimes at 8am and not leave until midnight and he knows they have wives and kids and are missing dinner with their families and then someone says these people don't care? It's unfair. Which is part of the thing about players not getting devs. Despite being a job, there is PASSION there. A lot of it.
    58. Players don't see them very often in person. Maybe that is a problem.
      Sapience doesn’t know if that helps. His photo is everywhere. A photo doesn't do much to humanize people. And it shouldn't matter. They're people. Photo or no. Treat them how you'd like to be treated. it's not a hard concept to grasp.
    59. What is your favorite moment of the LOTR saga
      It's not a moment it's a character. Sam. True friendship. No matter what. Good, bad, even when he's being doubted. He really admires that about him. Sam, to him, was always the one true hero. Because he was just trying to do what he promised Gandalf. No other motivation.
    60. You have a plane right? Can you fly loopings with it?
      He has RC planes. Several of them. Yes he can loop them. Fly inverted, do snap rolls, etc. In terms of real planes, he has flown several types of planes. The one in his Twitter pic is a 1937 Stearman PT-17 Biplane. The flight was a gift from his wife for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was a 30 minute 'check flight'. If he had had his license he would have ended up with a certification to fly a biplane. He’s also flown a Cessna 172, 152, and 182RG (SO FUN!) as well as Piper Warrior and Warrior II. He also has a standing offer from a local LotRO player to take a ride/flight in his WWII era Piper Cub J-5.
    61. Do you know if Festival Food use the same Food Channel as Trail Food, Regen Food, Coffee or Soups?
      He has no idea.
    62. Ever considered getting a student's pilot license in your off time?
      He knows a couple flight schools both local and in FL. They vary a lot. He has quotes from $9k to $13K for just a private certificate. Some of it is the aircraft they use, some of it is the cost of the instructor (they cost more in the Boston area than in Florida) and some of it is in Boston you have a limited number of flying days and in Florida it’s pretty much 365.
    63. Why not next year around the anniversary of Boston Marathon have Hobnanigans active but replace the cloaks with One Fund while playing.
      He'll make the suggestion. Not sure how much effort it would be to replace the cloaks. He thinks a more fitting tribute would be for everyone to wear the cloak and we do a "marathon" to Rivendell.
    Last edited by frickinmuck; May 13 2014 at 08:38 PM.

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Please note: I am paraphrasing here. Anything said here is coming through my interpretation of what was said, and is subject to being corrected, so don't take all this as the final word.

If anyone who was present has any additions or corrections, feel free to post.

Video available here.

1. Any chance we will get new instruments
      There is always a chance that it will eventually happen, but there is nothing currently planned and so there won’t be anything anytime soon.
    2. How do you plan on improving epic battles this year
      They will talk about the details on this closer to the time, but they are currently looking at ways of making it so that players feel like they’re more directly involved, things like that.
    3. Do all these runs blur together for you
      Not at all, he really enjoys doing them, and seeing and how servers approach the run, different levels of participation and preparation, etc.
    4. Sapience reminds people that broad “is it possible” or “will this ever happen” questions aren’t likely to get a satisfactory answer because almost anything is possible, probabilities vary. The more broad the question you ask, the less likely you’ll get a satisfactory answer.
    5. Are the Hobnanigans field housing items functional are they cosmetic
      They are cosmetic only.
    6. Which has been your favourite run so far
      Anduin because it was like a military death march – they just went for it, they tore across the landscape and put up a crazy time. And it was more exciting because it came right after a time he thought wasn’t ever going to get beaten was just posted, and they beat it by a handful of seconds.
    7. Question about specifics of the new regions
      That is so far down the road that it’s not something they are talking about. Possibilities are endless.
    8. Question about U13.2
      He doesn’t know that they are doing a 13.2. If that changes he’ll let us know, but as of right now 14 is the next update.
    9. Any plans to scale the Rift
      None. For a variety of reasons you can find by reading the previous Hobbits to Isengard chats.
    10. Why do we have to quit the game to login to another server
      That’s just the way the game is built, and it would take too much work/resources to change that functionality, for the minor inconvenience of having to restart the client.
    11. Question about a bug
      File a bug report and they will take a look at it
    12. Is the current intention to skip icons for the Eorlingas crafting tiers and moving forward
      No he doesn’t think that’s the intention, it’s just a matter of work to be done and the icons being lower priority than other things. If the question is do they do icons or the cosmetic pet system, for example, they’re going to work on the cosmetic pet system.
    13. Could you stop making bear killing quests
      Probably not. Sorry. No one seems to be upset about killing the boars, though. He guesses it’s because bacon is so wonderful.
    14. If you were to play a character in any of the Tolkien films past or present, which would you choose
      He kind of likes Gimli, he has the beard. Or Faramir – he’s a big Faramir fan.
    15. Would Beornings get rage points if they walk into a house with a bear rug
      (Laughs) He’s going to pass that suggestion along.
    16. One these runs are done, what’s next
      They’ve been kicking around a bunch of ideas. One is to have a devs vs players Hobnanigans match or two, another is to do roundtables on a semi-regular basis. If you have suggestions for events similar to the hobbit runs, he recommends that you go to the forums and post suggestions there.
    17. How much longer will the screenshot of the week be running
      The current one is running until Monday. In terms of how long the contest will exist, they’ll probably keep doing them as long as people keep entering them.
    18. Can we expect to see the hobby system expanded on in the next 1 or 2 years
      He wouldn’t put a timetable on it. He doesn’t know of anything in the roadmap. He won’t say “never” but nothing is currently planned.
    19. Question about merging Moors of various servers together
      No. There currently is no tech for doing cross-server PvMP, and it’s not something they are working on or planning.
    20. Suggestion to turn on all festivals at once for the winning server
      He says the thought of that is really scary. He runs that by the ecommerce manager just to see the look on his face. No, he thinks that if he suggested that, the engineers and server teams would freak out. But the marketing guy was writing something in his book, and he’s afraid to ask what.
    21. Is there any entry limit on screenshot of the week
      One entry every 24 hours
    22. Why would the marketing person be freaked out by the festivals thing
      Because it actually takes several different teams and departments to coordinate everything that gets turned on with festivals, and there are store components for every festival, so adding everything to the store from every festival at once would probably be a full day’s work for him.
    23. Have you talked about the size/screen ratio of the in-game maps
      They haven’t got any plans of changing the size or ratio of the maps moving forward.
    24. Comment in chat about the world getting bigger and it being harder to talk to people at the other end of the world
      Solution incoming. In U14 they will be adding a global chat channel that will be turned on the minute we log in, and will enable players to chat with each other across the server without having to use or know about GLFF/unity/variants. We will immediately feel more connected to the world. Of course it can be turned off just like any other channel, for those who don’t want to use it.
    25. Question about guidelines for the new /world channel
      It will be a general chat channel. If down the road players still have a need for a global LFF channel, they will consider adding that, or a global trade or whatever.
    26. Do you play the game in your spare time
      Yes he does. He doesn’t get to play as much as he wants. He was thinking the other day that if he’d taken all the time he’s spent leveling 29 hobbits to level 10 he could have gotten a few more alts to level 95. And he has a few sitting at level 40 he’d like to get to cap.
    27. Why does it matter if you are on a mount
      Because it’s a matter of rendering. Every time you add a mount, every time you add a cloak, every time you add additional animation, effects, trees, walls, you are demanding that your computer do more work. It really doesn’t have as much to do with the server side of things, although mounted combat does a bit. It’s just a question of, you’re asking for more and there is, as with all things, there is a limit. Imagine putting food in your mouth. There comes a point where you’re going to have a problem. You can only get so much there and still be able to chew and still accomplish the task of eating. It’s the same thing with this. Cloaks have animations and they’re usually unique. Mounts have animations and they’re not necessarily in sync, they’re running at different speeds, they’re running with different animations, and all of this is stuff the client has to deal with. You will see the more that show up, the worse it gets, the fewer that show up, the less lag there is. A very large amount of this has to do with client side performance. He’s asked for 20 some-odd runs for people to not wear cloaks, not use mounts, and those who follow that rule run through really fast, and those who don’t run into lots of lag.
    28. What is your opinion on an option that disables cloaks
      If you are asking for one that disables other people’s cloaks, he will pass the suggestion along. They did add one to disable cosmetic pets, because that is entirely client-side, so being able to disable that in a large group with cosmetic pets is pretty important, especially for players with older systems. Which seems to be a surprisingly large number of LotRO players.
    29. Question about feedback on bug reports
      They don’t generally give feedback on bug reports. The feedback is a patch note that says it got fixed.
    30. Any thoughts on converting the sound format for musical instruments from ABC to MIDI
      No, they haven’t looked at changing any of the formats. They actually aren’t looking at making any changes to the music system at this time.
    31. Comment about not being able to shell out for a new computer every few years
      This is true, which is why he recommends that when you buy a new computer, you buy the absolute best you can afford, spend a bit extra on more RAM and a better video card than you think you’re going to need, because in a few years your computer will be completely outclassed. Down the line you can upgrade, which is what he’s done with his home computer. The core of it is about 4 years old, but he’s upgraded various components multiple times. Decent video cards are pretty cheap right now, and that’s one thing he recommends spending on if you can. Especially if you have an integrated graphics card. He strongly urges against using integrated graphics if you can at all avoid it.
    32. Question about why expansions, etc get news announcements, while bugfixes don’t
      Because one is news and one isn’t. A new feature is news. A bugfix is just a bugfix. Bugfixes aren’t usually newsworthy or noteworthy.
    33. What about new hairstyles and cosmetics like long hair for elves
      Currently nothing planned or scheduled but he will pass on the suggestion.
    34. Any update on what the marketing guy wrote in his book
      He literally wrote “All festivals sometime?”
    35. Do you think they will ever open up classes to other races
      He knows they keep talking about it. Every now and then he will wander over and say, “Hey, what do you guys think of this combination.” And he thinks that as they go farther along it becomes more possible. He doesn’t want that to be taken as a statement that they’ll do it next week, but definitely the conversations do take place. When or if it happens is still up in the air. The conversation is happening, they’ll go from there and see what happens.
    36. Currently most special events happen on weekends. Any chance you’d ever do them during the week.
      They do them during the weekend because the overwhelming majority of the players are playing during the weekend. That’s why they do it on weekends, for maximum effect. They do try to start them on the Thursday and end them on the Monday to give people a better chance to get in on them, but generally speaking they run those things so the maximum number of people can play them, and generally speaking that’s a weekend.
    37. Do GMs share handles
      Not to his knowledge. As far as he knows they all have unique handles.
    38. Will Gondor get small updates in the same way as Dol Amroth and Pelargir
      He’s not sure that he fully understands the question but if it’s will these be expansions or just updates, they will be updates. They are not doing any full-fledged expansions this year. They will be more of a content update than an expansion.
    39. Are GMs working in the building or are they working from home
      The overwhelming majority of Turbine employees are in the building. There are a handful of individuals in Europe specifically for that region, but devs, most of the GMs, customer service and all that are in the building. So if you want a job at Turbine you have to first move to Boston or the surrounding area.
    40. When will the Spring Festival start
      He doesn’t have an exact date, but it’s sometime at the end of this month.
    41. What is your favourite Hobnanigans reward
      Chickens. He loves cosmetic pets.
    42. Are you going to multi-box and follow the run on your personal character from your home server to avoid suspicion
      Maybe, maybe did, maybe didn’t.
    43. Question about Bullroarer being open
      The Bullroarer server is only open when they have something new for us to test. Right now it is not open.
    44. Do you know if it’s intended that we can dye the various team rewards
      He doesn’t know.
    45. Can you pass on the suggestion to allow saving of different graphic and audio profiles
      He recommends posting the suggestion in the forums so he can point people directly to what’s being talked about. [That post is here – Frick]
    46. Can you tell anything more about the new kinship items
      Not right now, he doesn’t even think the Players Council has seen the outline of that yet. He will talk about it down the road in future hobbit runs.
      Conversation continues in text chat after the run.
    47. Sapience in reference to having tried to play a game of Hobnanigans while answering questions after the run (and it doesn’t really work out) says that one of the reasons that take the hobbits to Isengard works so well, is because he doesn't have to actually play during them. Once he tries to focus entirely on playing and doing it well, it becomes almost impossible to do a Q&A, keep an eye out for devs to grab, and anything else.
    48. Any progress on that 'Dev Roundtable' stream that was mentioned as a possibility?
      He thinks to expect updates every 48 hours is unrealistic. He’ll work on it. He has a lot he works on every day.
    49. How about make the symbol of the elder king (lvl 65) available in skirmish camps
      He’ll pass along the suggestion.
    50. Can you please do something with people who just block Hobnanigans fields with level 5-6 toons
      Report them.
    51. Would you please state what rule that's violating? It's not explict harassment. Especially when there's open fields/slots elsewhere. Multiboxing Legal, No botting, No Infamy (thus no rank farming)
      He would say griefing. He doesn't know what the GMs would call it, but it seems to him (in his sole personal opinion) to be a form of harassing/griefing. Ultimately, he thinks everyone does need to realize that if we want them to police everything rigidly we can't then complain about a "police state" when it means we get policed the same way. There has to be some flexibility and each issue is unique and handled that way.
    52. I'd like to see a stated response from the CSM team if possible
      Probably won't happen. Sadly people will quote out of context and complain. It's a no win.
    53. We've had the discretion vs consistency discussion. Communicated policies help
      Not really, mountains of rules and people still violate them then claim censorship, unfair, whatever. So no it really doesn't. And we’d be amazed at how many times people take rudeness for harassment. They're different. GMs and also the community team aren't there to make sure everyone is nice to us. Sometimes we just have to blow off the rudeness and worry about the real harassment.
    54. Is it sometimes hard to understand players, just because you are on the other side of the fence
      Not at all. He was a player before he got hired. He IS a player. You can't possibly do his job if you aren’t. He thinks the real issue is the other way around. He doesn't think players really understand the team. In fact, a lot of the time the things they say prove they really don't.
    55. I think there is a lot of "us/them" attitude that seems pointless at best, destructive at worst
      Yes. He thinks players forget one simple truth sometimes. They’ve got families and lives and this is how they support them. When we try to make the argument that they don't care or they're trying to kill the game or something similar, keep in mind we’re really saying, "You're trying to put yourself out of work." Obviously nothing could be farther from the truth. And that's without even going into the simple reality that they all love this game and the lore and the source material just as much as we do.
    56. Sapience mentions that we went over $1500 so far this year for Extra Life and just broke $70,000 combined for 2012-2014!
    57. It really grinds my gears whenever anyone says the devs are lazy or should spend 24/7 with their nose to the grindstone.
      He watches these guys come in sometimes at 8am and not leave until midnight and he knows they have wives and kids and are missing dinner with their families and then someone says these people don't care? It's unfair. Which is part of the thing about players not getting devs. Despite being a job, there is PASSION there. A lot of it.
    58. Players don't see them very often in person. Maybe that is a problem.
      Sapience doesn’t know if that helps. His photo is everywhere. A photo doesn't do much to humanize people. And it shouldn't matter. They're people. Photo or no. Treat them how you'd like to be treated. it's not a hard concept to grasp.
    59. What is your favorite moment of the LOTR saga
      It's not a moment it's a character. Sam. True friendship. No matter what. Good, bad, even when he's being doubted. He really admires that about him. Sam, to him, was always the one true hero. Because he was just trying to do what he promised Gandalf. No other motivation.
    60. You have a plane right? Can you fly loopings with it?
      He has RC planes. Several of them. Yes he can loop them. Fly inverted, do snap rolls, etc. In terms of real planes, he has flown several types of planes. The one in his Twitter pic is a 1937 Stearman PT-17 Biplane. The flight was a gift from his wife for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was a 30 minute 'check flight'. If he had had his license he would have ended up with a certification to fly a biplane. He’s also flown a Cessna 172, 152, and 182RG (SO FUN!) as well as Piper Warrior and Warrior II. He also has a standing offer from a local LotRO player to take a ride/flight in his WWII era Piper Cub J-5.
    61. Do you know if Festival Food use the same Food Channel as Trail Food, Regen Food, Coffee or Soups?
      He has no idea.
    62. Ever considered getting a student's pilot license in your off time?
      He knows a couple flight schools both local and in FL. They vary a lot. He has quotes from $9k to $13K for just a private certificate. Some of it is the aircraft they use, some of it is the cost of the instructor (they cost more in the Boston area than in Florida) and some of it is in Boston you have a limited number of flying days and in Florida it’s pretty much 365.
    63. Why not next year around the anniversary of Boston Marathon have Hobnanigans active but replace the cloaks with One Fund while playing.
      He'll make the suggestion. Not sure how much effort it would be to replace the cloaks. He thinks a more fitting tribute would be for everyone to wear the cloak and we do a "marathon" to Rivendell.
    Looks good!

Riddermark today at 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    24. Comment in chat about the world getting bigger and it being harder to talk to people at the other end of the world -
    "Solution incoming. In U14 they will be adding a global chat channel that will be turned on the minute we log in, and will enable players to chat with each other across the server without having to use or know about GLFF/unity/variants. We will immediately feel more connected to the world. Of course it can be turned off just like any other channel, for those who don’t want to use it."
    THIS is the best thing that I have ever seen coming from Turbine. I have hoped that this would happen for YEARS! I think it will make a huge difference for new players. For those who are not die hard gamers or solo players, LOTRO can be a very lonely game simply because new players do not know how to communicate or connect with others. I think the average person simply gives up out of sheer lonliness. Thanks so much for doing this, it's the best thing that could happen to this game!!

PS It would even be cool if there was a welcome or greeting message upon logging in.. I don't know, something like "Welcome to Middle-Earth or server name "Snowbourn", etc .. just a thought." I'm really excited about this update. Yayyyyy!

Stopping by to say I'm eagerly looking forward to the Riddermark TTHTI Transcript. Firstly, because there were major sound quality issues that rendered it all but worthless to me once the actual substantive Q&A started. Secondly, because it's my home server, and we placed 3rd!

I know it'll take extra long for you to do your summary style documentation with all the technical issues in the feed, but it would be very cool if +Rowan or +Sapience could stop by and give us some of the highlights. So that the long time participants don't spend today repeating yesterday's questions.

Best of luck to Eldar!

Eagerly awaiting Riddermarks notes, because of the technical issues with the feed. I know it'll take longer as a result. We really appreciate your efforts! Especially those of us who were trying to do what we could to see that our run was as good as we could possibly make it. *group highfive*

Maybe +Sapience or +Rowan can stop in and share some of what they felt were the highlights, so we don't ask them again in 1hr.

Best of luck to Eldar!
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    Eagerly awaiting Riddermarks notes, because of the technical issues with the feed. I know it'll take longer as a result. We really appreciate your efforts! Especially those of us who were trying to do what we could to see that our run was as good as we could possibly make it. *group highfive*

Maybe +Sapience or +Rowan can stop in and share some of what they felt were the highlights, so we don't ask them again in 1hr.
    It should be up soon, no worries.

Ironically, I got my times mixed up, so they were apparently mid run when that got posted =)

Congrats Eldar!
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

CONGRATS, ELDAR - completely insane time. Well done!!!
    Last edited by frickinmuck; May 16 2014 at 11:45 AM.

Rowan is offline Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™
    Apologies on the audio from the Riddermark run frick. It might have been better if I just sat at my desk and chewed marbles.
    Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Apologies on the audio from the Riddermark run frick. It might have been better if I just sat at my desk and chewed marbles.
    It did kinda sound familiar

[CENTER][img]http://www.djelle.dk/sig-lotro.jpg?&f=gp&id=7697947&lo=0e0c0e111pp10&t1=Gedachtnis&u=ironyandspite.guildportal.com&k=Irony%20and%20Spite&i=www.axiomfiles.com/Files/375005/Copy%2520of%2520Irony-and-Spite_LOGO1.jpg[/img]
    It's all to clear we are on our own.[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    lol.

I think Sapience's idea of a dedicated mic would be the first thing to try. If that doesn't work, go with the marbles.
    Thurallor, Warden of Landroval

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast