We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    The person clarifies that they just mean will there be any new raids
    No, that’s been made pretty clear with EP Aaron “Rowan” Campbell’s producer’s letter and many times been reiterated by the team.
    Does this mean no new raids ever? Like, forever? I appreciate there's none soon and none planned at the moment, but none... ever?
    'A cage,' she said. 'To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.'

Rowan is offline Executive Producer
    The Lord of the Rings Online™
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    The Maiar transcript is up, and it's huuuuge. Probably took me the longest of any of them so far, except maybe the Bullroarer one or the U13 preview tour one. I highly recommend everyone reads the Maiar one, there's some pretty interesting stuff said.
    I do talk a lot. Thanks for your patience.
    Executive Producer

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I do talk a lot. Thanks for your patience.
    You're in the fortunate position of everyone wanting you to talk more, so it's not an issue, I promise you!

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon
    Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Maiar
    Video available here.

Guest for this run - EP Aaron "Rowan" Campbell
    Looks good to me.

Two things... the beer I mentioned was Kölsch. It's a German beer made mostly in Cologne. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_%28beer%29

Also, someone did ID the quote about Dale Biberman and got their points.

Treasure hunt: Working on setting up a date.
    Hobnanigans: Final testing underway. Should be able to give everyone a date in the next few days.
    Last edited by Sapience; May 05 2014 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Two things... the beer I mentioned was Kölsch. It's a German beer made mostly in Cologne. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_%28beer%29
    Even though calling Kölsch a beer might earn you giggles in other parts of Germany

Back to topic. Thank you again, frickinmuck, for all this awesome work you're putting into transcribing the chats! While I catch up on Twitch from time to time if I can't make it to a live stream, having those up for reference is superb. Huge thanks!

Hobnanigans: Final testing underway. Should be able to give everyone a date in the next few days.
    Let the awesomeness ensue!

the beer I mentioned was Kölsch. It's a German beer made mostly in Cologne. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_%28beer%29
    Ah, I've been drinking a lot of Dutch beer lately, so that could explain the mistake. I really should have known better. I spent a couple months in Köln years back and drank a lot of Kölsch.

But I don't tend to be a beer snob in general. There's plenty of room for more beer, I say. The more the merrier.

reply to pets

Why wouldn't the pets be added to the store. That is the smartest thing LOTRO can do right now. For many MMOs a large part of their income is from pets. I am shocked it has taken so long to get pets in the store. As long as they are reasonably priced, I would much rather LOTRO get money to make the game from there than other places. And remember people, LOTRO needs money to make the game and needs more money to make a better game.
    Andang
    YouTuber - YouTube.com/AndangLP

I think the problem is people look for wiggle room or try to create the perception of it after the fact or try to remove the context from the statements. The comments are pretty blunt and obvious. The pets that were added to the game, which were directly being addressed in that message, aren't intended for the store. Will some of the upcoming pets be? Likely. Why wouldn't they be? They're cosmetic. We put cosmetics in the store all the time. In fact we constantly have people ask for more cosmetics in the store. Will some remain exclusive to content? Very likely, if not definitely likely. Will some be available via other means like community contests or give aways and through no in game or in store method much like the Perlino and Cremello steeds? I would absolutely expect that to be the case.

There is entirely too much trying to parse things out to be as negative as possible and not enough reading what is said, in context. If I say that today is absolutely Monday, you can't then take my comment tomorrow and say I lied because it is now Tuesday. The context of the statement when it was made is just as important to understanding it as the content of the statement. Attempts to break the two apart are somewhat disingenuous.

Which is pretty much my take on it. What's negative about it? Make pets difficult to acquire (you've said as much) to build up anticipation, then put pets in the store. People then buy pets.

Did you think I was talking about the Huorn's specifically? If I was I would have taken the trouble to mention them specifically.

@frickenmuck - I didn't think I was being cynical, I was just musing on why they have been made difficult to acquire. A lot of folks, myself included, dislike the RNG loot system this game now has in place, so maybe they could have been made difficult to acquire (i.e. be earnable), rather than, or in addition to, pure luck?

Quote Originally Posted by Radbug View Post
    @frickenmuck - I didn't think I was being cynical, I was just musing on why they have been made difficult to acquire. A lot of folks, myself included, dislike the RNG loot system this game now has in place, so maybe they could have been made difficult to acquire (i.e. be earnable), rather than, or in addition to, pure luck?
    I think that calling them "difficult to acquire" is a bit premature. They're a brand new item, of course they are going to be difficult to acquire until more of them are available in various ways. They were just released for the first time ever, like, a couple of weeks ago. Maybe we should wait until at least a month or two has passed before drawing any conclusions about the means of acquiring them.

Pets for creeps?

Sorry if this has already been answered but will cosmetic pets extend to creeps? My warg would really love to have a pet Crebain and maybe something like a plague ridden rat for defilers.
    Bloodspill of Eldar, rank 15 Stalker and leader of the Angbands Shadow tribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodspill View Post
    Sorry if this has already been answered but will cosmetic pets extend to creeps? My warg would really love to have a pet Crebain and maybe something like a plague ridden rat for defilers.
    The "follow the rat" gag was already in Bells of Dale... now it's in Ettens too? (And causing yet more lag...)
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    The "follow the rat" gag was already in Bells of Dale... now it's in Ettens too? (And causing yet more lag...)
    Actually, the whole point of the client-side pets is that they won't cause any server-side lag, because the server doesn't even try to track their position. And players with low system specs can turn them off entirely, if needed.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Rowan is offline Executive Producer
    I definitely don't want to put absolutes around the pets.

They're new, and 13.1 is only the second update to roll them out.

We want to be sure that you enjoy them (and learn more about what you want) before we add a lot of them. The initial feedback has been good, so we're expanding on it for U14.

Especially in the early days we want these to be a reward for playing the game. Later we may have promotional pets, store pets etc. For now pets are only available as in-game quest or festival rewards.
    Executive Producer

Wait, did I miss something? Did 13.1 add cosmetic pets in addition to the 3 Entwood Huorns that came with Update 13?

I definitely don't want to put absolutes around the pets.

We want to be sure that you enjoy them (and learn more about what you want) before we add a lot of them. The initial feedback has been good, so we're expanding on it for U14.

Especially in the early days we want these to be a reward for playing the game. Later we may have promotional pets, store pets etc. For now pets are only available as in-game quest or festival rewards.
    "Please, sir, I want some more."

I'll settle for 1,000 cosmetic pets (for 2014 :P).

In regards to them being "a reward for playing the game," I hope the RNG element of the huorns is re-evaluated. As it stands, a player could get lucky and loot one of these on the very first try, and then disappear from the game the day after, while many other players who log in daily could be trying these quests repeatedly for a whole year and still not get one of the pets. So, the RNG approach could reward the player who does not play, and penalise the one who does.

A potential solution is to offer a barter option at 1,000 Fangorn Leaves, but still have a random chance in the boxes. That way we still get the thrill of a jackpot win, but if we only get those 10 leaves, we at least know they are going off an eventual trade-in.

-Bel
    Belnavar - Captain - 105 - Brandywine - Leader of Keepers of the Palantiri

Quote Originally Posted by DanteIL View Post
    Wait, did I miss something? Did 13.1 add cosmetic pets in addition to the 3 Entwood Huorns that came with Update 13?
    From the U13.1 release notes:

Cosmetic Pets!
    The miniature huorns of Fangorn have banded together and decided to make themselves stand out a bit more from the less friendly creatures running around Middle-earth.

Not to be outdone, other friendly creatures of Middle-earth are considering joining the huorns in their quest for standing out as player friends.

This new union of “Cosmetic Pets” will allow players to show off their newfound companions in a few new ways. These shy creatures will exist purely on each person’s client meaning that there is a configurable option you can use to turn off the display of all other players’ cosmetic pets if you are experiencing graphical performance problems. Other features are being worked on for this cosmetic pet system but for 13.1 you can get a quick taste of what we have planned.

A few notes:

• Lore-master non-combat pets will not be affected with the current design. If there is feedback against this being the case let us know, Lore-masters!
    • While there is currently no UI for renaming your cosmetic pets, you can expect to see one in a future update. In the meantime, you can rename these pets via a player command (/cpet rename NAMEHERE).
    • As client-side critters, these cosmetic pets cannot be selected by clicking on them as you would a monster.
    • These cosmetic pets can be used alongside any of your combat pets (or alongside the Lore-masters’ non-combat companions that can take the place of their combat pets).
    • The 3 Fangorn huorn pets are not alone in their use of this new system! Keep your eyes peeled for ways to earn new special little cosmetic friends to follow you around Middle-earth.

Yes, but that is written in a way that is so vague and jokey that it is hard to know exactly what it is saying. Plus, that note merely says that the pets are "considering" joining the huorns. I interpreted that to mean that more are on the way, not that more have already been added. That is, "keep your eyes peeled NOW?" or "keep your eyes peeled IN THE FUTURE" when we expand the system?? Are there other pets besides the Huorns in the game now?

Thodorin posted some pictures of chicken cosmetic pets in the German forum from the beta. I think the source was a mmo-news website (Buffed), but probably not all pictures there are cosmetic pets. I haven't looked through that page, but there might be for example a wolf which is just the MC pet of LMs...

Orodbril

I think it has been hinted and/or suggested that some might come from chickenball* which they are hoping to turn on shortly. If they are that close to having it come back, they probably added the pets in to the 13.1 build just to have them ready to go.

*For the life of me I can't think of the actual name of this thing, just what some people have called it (or that is the actual name and I'm really confused). With the sort of day it has been today, either are equally possible.
    Originally Posted by Damian6988
    That is not unlike drinking a pot of coffee and taking a Valium.
    "I want to stay up and get more work done, but I don't want to remember any of it."

Yes, but that is written in a way that is so vague and jokey that it is hard to know exactly what it is saying. Plus, that note merely says that the pets are "considering" joining the huorns. I interpreted that to mean that more are on the way, not that more have already been added. That is, "keep your eyes peeled NOW?" or "keep your eyes peeled IN THE FUTURE" when we expand the system?? Are there other pets besides the Huorns in the game now?
    I think that's kind of the entire point. Suspense, curiosity, a bit of excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post
    I think it has been hinted and/or suggested that some might come from chickenball* which they are hoping to turn on shortly. If they are that close to having it come back, they probably added the pets in to the 13.1 build just to have them ready to go.

*For the life of me I can't think of the actual name of this thing, just what some people have called it (or that is the actual name and I'm really confused). With the sort of day it has been today, either are equally possible.
    Hobnanigans.

I don't know where those images came from, but I'd take them with a grain of salt since they don't seem to come with any context, or to be in any way official.

I forgot to say:

Chicken might be available at Hobnanigans and Shrews(which were also mentioned) might be available at the Spring Festival.

@frick: which images do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Orodbril View Post
    @frick: which images do you mean?
    The ones you linked in your post, of the various chickens. If they're fake, then that's pretty lame. If they're real, then they're leaked and that's twice as lame. Overall, me no like.

The ones you linked in your post, of the various chickens. If they're fake, then that's pretty lame. If they're real, then they're leaked and that's twice as lame. Overall, me no like.
    I don't know where they are from, but they don't look fake to me. And concerning leak: I don't know where these should have leaked - he said they are from the beta. And I actually really wouldn't think that he would publish leaked material or content under NDA - he's really an active poster in the German forums and after the time I know him from there I would really never even think about that.

Not to mention who would publish that kind of material at the forums first where they can easily find a connection to an account?

Orodbril

Quote Originally Posted by Orodbril View Post
    I don't know where they are from, but they don't look fake to me. And concerning leak: I don't know where these should have leaked - he said they are from the beta. And I actually really wouldn't think that he would publish leaked material or content under NDA - he's really an active poster in the German forums and after the time I know him from there I would really never even think about that.

Not to mention who would publish that kind of material at the forums first where they can easily find a connection to an account?
    Fair enough. I didn't see them when I was on Bullroarer with U13.1 but I could have missed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainith View Post

Hobnanigans is the name and chicken field hockey is the game. Anyway, I think Rowan mentioned it during the last TTHTI stream. There are 4 fields already in the game. Run past Saeradan to the Bree Festival Grounds toward the Hedge Maze and the Tag field. You can't miss them.

I missed this at launch (came to late, oh well) but I think this has the potential to be a real hit when turned on.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast