We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast
Results 601 to 625 of 638
  1. #601
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by mithelenthor View Post
    Will the new class be included for subscribers as the Warden and Lore breaker were? And if so, will subscribers get a new slot along with it to be able to play it?
    Warden and Rune-keeper are not included for subscribers. You only get them if you a) Purchase the Mines of Moria expansion, or b) Purchase these two classes from the store. So I would expect the Beorning to be a purchased class also.
    I would hope that we'd be able to get an extra slot as well though, it would be a shame if people can't buy the class because of a lack of space.
    [CENTER][SIZE=3][B]Galuhad | Narvelan[/B]
    Lore Breakers of Eldar[/SIZE]

    [URL="http://www.lotrointerface.com/list.php?skinnerid=3762"]Plugins[/URL] | [URL="https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?538975-Accounts-for-New-Players"]New Player Guide[/URL] | [URL="http://www.twitch.tv/galuhad"]Twitch[/URL]
    [/CENTER]

  2. #602
    What is the primary stat for the Beorning
    HoarseDev – They’re still messing around with that. It’s a light armour class, so it is going to be somewhat agility-based, but it is also somewhat caster-like in some regards, it’s definitely got some control mechanics there, and it also turns into a bear. So it may be a very interesting mix. They’re presently playing around with the proper mix of stats.
    Strange to put light armour and agility in the same sentence. Light - Will, Medium - Agility, Heavy - Might. Will they rethink the whole stat thing again? I thought they made this three distinct types to make the itemization easier.
    [center][img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3797/9452131083_d1d6d5f2fa_o.jpg[/img][/center]
    [center]Caileen - Bait, Consolida - Burg in the making[/center]

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by mithelenthor View Post
    Will the new class be included for subscribers as the Warden and Lore breaker were? And if so, will subscribers get a new slot along with it to be able to play it?
    The slot question was answered in the run - they are looking into it and hoping to be able to bundle some slots with the purchase if possible. As for the class being free, there has never been a free class in LotRO. Both the RK and Warden were "pay to unlock" for everyone, including VIP. The only exception was when it was bundled with Moria. Since they aren't doing any expansions this year, I don't expect to see it bundled with any content releases.

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Caileen View Post
    Strange to put light armour and agility in the same sentence. Light - Will, Medium - Agility, Heavy - Might. Will they rethink the whole stat thing again? I thought they made this three distinct types to make the itemization easier.
    Good catch! I totally missed that.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of [U][B]Riddermark[/B][/U]ed For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ [U][B]Landroval[/B][/U]

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Caileen View Post
    Strange to put light armour and agility in the same sentence. Light - Will, Medium - Agility, Heavy - Might. Will they rethink the whole stat thing again? I thought they made this three distinct types to make the itemization easier.
    I think he might be confused about armor type of LOTRO and other MMORPGs. LOTRO's light and medium armors are equal to robe and light armors respectively in many other MMORPGs.

    About Medium armor being Will-based, we used to have Minstrel being able to wear such things. So instead of streaming down these armors after Minstrel gone to light-armor only, the developers may decide to make use of them again

  6. #606
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088

    Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Nimrodel

    Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Nimrodel

    Please note: I am paraphrasing here. Anything said here is coming through my interpretation of what was said, and is subject to being corrected, so don't take all this as the final word.

    If anyone who was present has any additions or corrections, feel free to post.

    Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Nimrodel

    Video available here.

    1. Sapience is wearing a woollen dwarf hat/beard, and turns the camera to show Jacob the “marketing weenie” who sits next to him, and who is wearing a dwarf hat and beard as well, in solidarity.
      Sapience says they’ve decided on a prize for first place. The winner will get to pick a festival to have turned on for a week. He will post a poll in the winning server’s forums and they will be able to vote on which one they’d like to have.
      At the end of this run, the top 5 finishers will go into a hat, and he will draw them out one by one, and the order he draws them out will be the order of the first 5 servers to do the Moria dwarf runs. He’s doing this so that people will have some time to prepare before the runs start in a week or two.
    2. Question about what the next event will be
      He’s going to recreate the concept of “Take the Hobbit to Isengard” with a “Take the Dwarf Through Moria” theme. It will start just inside the gates of Moria and finish at the gates to Caras Galadhon. Fastest time “wins.”
    3. What is the name of the dwarf
      Tosmii.
    4. Question about the content of the festival for the winning server
      When the festival is turned on, it will have the same prizes, the same steeds, the same content as it did when it was last run.
      Sapience reminds everyone that Weatherstock is coming up. It’s a large annual music festival organized by the Lonely Mountain Band kinship, featuring tons of in-game bands. The concert is held at the summit of Weathertop in the Lone Lands. There is a concert series that leads up to the festival as well, and happens mainly on the weekends. More info here. Full calendar of events here.
    5. Question about PvMP
      Anything PvMP-related is going to have to wait until Jinjaah returns. He’s been on vacation all week. He took a well-deserved week off.
    6. Question about whether there will be any fixes or changes when Hobnanigans runs next week
      There have been no updates or patches to the game since it last ran, so there won’t be any changes.
    7. How is Beorning development coming along
      Great.
    8. Question about the beard/hat he is wearing
      The beard was donated by ThinkGeek last year for Extra Life. He had a part of his event last year where if he got to a certain donation level he promised to have his picture taken wearing a Dwarf beard and they were kind enough to donate it to him in support of Extra Life.
    9. Comment about a Bullroarer Dwarves Through Moria run
      Sapience thinks that’s terrifying. Raina brutalized us in the open last time, he’d hate to think what she would be capable of in a confined space.
    10. Question about gifting TP or expansions to friends via the LotRO store
      You can do that through the Turbine web store. There are a variety of reasons why that can’t be done using Turbine points in the in-game LotRO store.
    11. What are your PC specs
      A PC made by Origin PC, with an Asus mother board, a pair of 240GB SSDs, 16GB RAM, Intel Core i7 4770k processor, and and Nvidia GTX650 with 2GB RAM.
    12. Are you talking about landscape group content in Belfalas
      Yes, although he’s not going to go into any detail on that until they get closer to release on that content.
    13. Any plans to do more 20 questions threads
      These livestreams have kind of replaced that. If they’re going to sit devs down and take time out of their workday to answer questions, he thinks it’s better if they sit them down in front of a camera in a roundtable setting and let them answer questions that way. The more he’s thought about it, players get a lot more information out of these livestreams than they did with the 20 questions. They used to do the 20 questions once a month. With these runs people are getting 20-60 questions twice a week. In the span of a 5 months they’ve answered thousands of questions vs maybe 100 in the old scheme.
    14. Question about moving the ‘paywall’ to a higher level
      They’ve thought about that and talked about it a bit, but in line with HoarseDev’s point in the last stream, the so-called paywall is quasi-mythical. They have a lot of players who get to level 95 without having to pay anything at all. And they don’t just get to 95, they go and grind out TP and basically the game at that point is paying you to play, and you can grind out enough points to buy stuff in the store without ever spending any real money. So there is a point at which it’s just “I don’t want to go about it that way, just give me more stuff for free” when really you can get it for free, and a lot of people have.
    15. Will there be any special events for the release of the Beorning, like a bear screenshot contest or something like that
      It’s actually something he was thinking about the other day. Maybe when it gets up on Bullroarer he’ll have people post a shot of their Beorning in their favourite location or something like that.
    16. Question about posting a suggestion for bear polo
      You can put forth the suggestion, but he would not expect to ever see it happen.
    17. Will the LotRO staff form a band and compete in next year’s Weatherstock
      Probably not, although it would be kind of cool.
    18. Someone who Sapience met at a meet and greet says hi
      “Hi Cassie, it was nice meeting you too!” He talks about the recent meet and greets and reminds everyone that there is a meet and greet coming up in Niagara Falls on the Canadian side, at Boston Pizza on Friday June 20th.
    19. Any discussion about fixing the Hytbold housing items
      He’s going to assume that it’s already been /bugged, so if it’s been /bugged they are probably looking at it.
    20. What movie are you most looking forward to this summer?
      There’s a list. He’s been looking forward to Xmen, Maleficent looks great, Guardians of the Galaxy is a guilty pleasure too.
    21. Don’t forget to watch Canadian Bacon as research into the culture
      He’s already seen it several times, and he still has his Bob and Doug McKenzie album on vinyl.
    22. Are you looking forward to Game of Thrones season 4 episode 8
      Yes, not having an episode last week really messed up his whole weekend plan.
    23. Any plans of posting the players who did the top runs
      No plans of doing that, it would just lead potentially to arguments about who did what “right” or “wrong.”
    24. Do you have secret characters that you play with that nobody knows about, and have you played with players that don’t know
      Yes. All of the above. He’s played with some players that do know, too.
    25. Will there be any community updates soon
      Probably Tuesday of next week.
    26. What is your favourite Game of Thrones character
      Probably everyone answers the same way – Tyrion. But he’s read all the books and he’s a really big Jamie fan. If you’ve read all the books you might know why.
    27. What is your favourite movie of all time
      It’s going to come out of left field, but he’s a really big Captain Blood fan.
    28. Does everyone that works on LotRO get the same PC as you
      He thinks they’re rolling them out for people right now.
    29. Will creeps ever get trait trees
      Questions that ask about “ever” are unanswerable because it’s impossible to say what might happen years from now. But as for now, it’s probably not high on the list.
    30. Will the Rift ever be scaled
      No. If they did scale it, it would no longer be the raid you love and you’d just be mad.
    31. Question about instruments
      No new instruments or changes to the music system are planned at this point.
    32. What is your favourite pie
      Pumpkin.
    33. When is U14 going live on Bullroarer
      Not telling. You don’t have too too long to wait.
    34. Question about Beorning bear pelt colours
      Feel free to make any suggestions like that in the suggestions forum.
    35. Question about new starter zone for Beornings
      They will be starting at level 50, so no new starter zone.
    36. Will we ever get new hobbies
      Currently no plans.
    37. Would you consider opening the world on Bullroarer for monster players
      Probably not.
    38. Would you ever do a photo contest instead of a screenshot contest
      They’ve done them in the past and they don’t get much of a response. Maybe a few handfuls of people. Whereas pretty much everybody feels like they can enter a screenshot contest.
    39. What do players send Turbine besides food
      Mugs. Lots of food. Really cool art that people make (shows a poster Druidsfire made for him). But mostly stuff along those lines.
    40. What is the most interesting thing to have happened in the LotRO office
      Not anything that you’d think in terms of being out of the ordinary. Halloweens they have kids come through trick or treating, and they do costume contests for the adults as well. They’ve had some awesome costumes.
    41. Do you ever worry that the things you’re sent are drugged
      Sure there’s a certain consideration. But the overwhelming majority of what is sent is packaged food that has never been opened. It wasn’t so long ago that someone brought in for the team a huge case full of Costco sized chips, power bars, goldfish crackers, Coke, etc. Someone once sent him HP sauce from the UK, which he thought was good.
    42. Any plans on coming to Vegas
      He’s been invited many times, but he’s only ever been there once. His wife wants to go back so that’s a giant step in the right direction. But there’s no immediate plans.
    43. Do you play other games than LotRO
      He’s played MMOs for probably about 16 years. Everquest was his first MMO. When he was 10 he bought an Atari 2600 with paper route money he saved, and he’s been gaming ever since. He has owned every console except Vectrex.
    44. What is your favourite LotRO pet
      His LMs cosmetic turtle.
    45. Sapience mentions that he promised to tweet out a picture of LotRO running on the projector that he sometimes games with, which projects at about 300 inches. He says he’ll try and do that tomorrow.
    46. Sapience draws the order of the first 5 servers that will be starting the Dwarves Through Moria runs, and reminds everyone that the Gift of the Valar is on sale this week in the LotRO store for 25% off, and Moria is on sale for 20% off.
    47. Reminds everyone about the meet and greet happening in Niagara Falls on June 20th at Boston Pizza on the Canadian side.
    48. Reminder to those on Eldar that he will be making a poll post in the forums to give them a chance to vote for the festival they want turned on.
    49. Sapience wonders if Holly AKA VeryBeary has ever made it all the way to Isengard in these runs. [ She is a steadfast member of the Dead Hobbits Society – Frick ]
    50. Sapience gives a shout out to Galuhad for his Extra Life efforts. He’s leveling from 1 to 95 in 100 (non-consecutive) hours to raise money for Extra Life.
    51. Sapience also reminds everyone about his own Extra Life efforts. This year if his big goal is met he will be getting the Extra Life logo tattooed. He was convinced to do so at an “unfortunate dinner” at PAX, with Jeremy Adams, the founder of Extra Life, some people from Boston Children’s Hospital, Mike from Extra Life and some other community managers. A challenge was issued and it had been a long day. There may or may not have been rum involved, but he swore that if we raised over $100,000 he would get the Extra Life logo tattooed.
    52. For everyone who has been waiting for the Cremello steed keys that some people were missing. He will be getting those out sometime next week. He’s going to be re-sending all the Cremello steed keys, so those who already got a working key will be getting another one. He also has more than enough for this year so this shouldn’t happen again.
    53. He explains how his Extra Life incentives work. Basically if you donate at least $5 you will get most things, which include the Perlino steed, the Cremello steed, the title “The Sociable,” the title “The Celebratory,” the title “Hero of the Small Folk.” There are also draws for Turbine point codes. There are some other things as well on his fundraising page.
    54. Reminds everyone that he always has the codes for the title “The Well Met,” (which is given to players who meet someone from the Turbine staff) with him, so if you ever run into him be sure to ask him for one. There are some guys at his local Lowes who play LotRO, some guys at his local BestBuy who play, there’s a guy at his local supermarket who plays as well. So if you ever run into him say hi and he will give you a code for the title.
    55. Are you planning in the future to make monster-side levels more like a faction
      No, monster play is its own thing that works in its own way, so that will probably not happen.
    56. Is it possible for people who met Turbine staff before the “Well Met” title existed to get a code
      Send him a PM on the forums and tell him who you met, where you met and when, and if he can verify it he will send a code.
    57. What is your favourite title in-game
      “Hero of the Small Folk” because the only way to get that title is to donate to Extra Life, and he thinks that says something special about the person who has the title. When you unlock the title on your account you can also use it in the forums.
    58. Sapience needs to come to the west coast
      He’s been to Seattle, he’s been to LA a few times, he’s been to Oakland.
      Says he has a livestream planned for middle or end of the week next week.
      He didn’t do his hobbit gifts on the final run!! SCANDAL!!

  7. #607
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088

    Thanks to all of you! Thus ends Hobbits to Isengard Q&A!

    Well, the final transcript is up, and thus ends the Hobbits to Isengard Q&A. It's been awesome guys. But it's not over - there will be more to come with the Dwarves Through Moria runs starting in the next week or two.

    Just a reminder that for the Dwarf runs, thanks to some kind players, I will not be doing the transcripts single-handedly. Me and other volunteers will be sharing the task. If you would like to volunteer to help out, let me know. Once the schedule for the Dwarf runs is finalized I will be posting the full schedule and people will have the opportunity to say which run(s) they would like to do transcripts for. I will then post those players names next to the run in the schedule so it will be easy to keep track of whose turn it is. Players are welcome to sign up to do just one, or to do more transcripts if they wish.

    I just want to thank everyone for making this such a worthwhile task, and for all your kind words along the way. It's truly been a great experience!

    Special thanks to Sapience and Turbine for hosting these events, which I think have enriched the LotRO community immeasurably over the past several months.

    Fun Facts

    28 servers*
    82,914 words**
    1,463 questions

    Most questions: Morthond - 76
    Fewest questions: Elendilmir - 13
    Chattiest run: Bullroarer - 6,734 words
    Quietest run: Elendilmir - 646 words
    Most difficult run: Riddermark

    *I didn't start this until the third, and Bullroarer was added to the list
    **Not including the non-hobbit run livestream transcripts


    Once again, congrats to Eldar for their winning run!!

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rohan
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by Caileen View Post
    Strange to put light armour and agility in the same sentence. Light - Will, Medium - Agility, Heavy - Might. Will they rethink the whole stat thing again? I thought they made this three distinct types to make the itemization easier.
    This may or may not be related, but I noticed in-game while crafting for my LM that Turbine rebalanced much of the crafted armor stats at lower levels, and for the light armor stuff, there are pieces that offer a fair amount of agility. I wonder if this was done in preparation for the Beorning class.

    What is your favourite movie of all time
    It’s going to come out of left field, but he’s a really big Captain Blood fan.
    I wonder if he means this Captain Blood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain...281935_film%29 (which is a great Errol Flynn movie).
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    This may or may not be related, but I noticed in-game while crafting for my LM that Turbine rebalanced much of the crafted armor stats at lower levels, and for the light armor stuff, there are pieces that offer a fair amount of agility. I wonder if this was done in preparation for the Beorning class.



    I wonder if he means this Captain Blood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain...281935_film%29 (which is a great Errol Flynn movie).
    About the lower level armours, I think it is a mix of old SoA through RoI stuff plus things added, particularly newer recipes, that use the current rules. Thus, you'll see light armour with agility and might on it. Minstrels were able to wear medium armour back in those days, so you'll see medium pieces with will on it.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rohan
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by cdq1958 View Post
    About the lower level armours, I think it is a mix of old SoA through RoI stuff plus things added, particularly newer recipes, that use the current rules. Thus, you'll see light armour with agility and might on it. Minstrels were able to wear medium armour back in those days, so you'll see medium pieces with will on it.
    I remember my minstrel wearing medium armour (I still miss that :P), but I've kept pretty close tabs on tailoring recipes over the years since my main is a tailor, and I end up making a lot of armour for kin-members. There is definitely some newer stuff in there that is somewhat heavy on the agility. Either way, I'd rather keep to the "Light = Will, Medium = Agility, Heavy = Might" formula. The reason Wardens were switched from Might to Agility was to better fit itemization patterns and such (and conveniently, we currently have 3 classes for each main stat), and it would be a shame to mess up all that work by tossing in something completely different.
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval
    Haradwen ~ Warden of Landroval
    Zôraphel ~ Burglar of Landroval

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    I remember my minstrel wearing medium armour (I still miss that :P), but I've kept pretty close tabs on tailoring recipes over the years since my main is a tailor, and I end up making a lot of armour for kin-members. There is definitely some newer stuff in there that is somewhat heavy on the agility. Either way, I'd rather keep to the "Light = Will, Medium = Agility, Heavy = Might" formula. The reason Wardens were switched from Might to Agility was to better fit itemization patterns and such (and conveniently, we currently have 3 classes for each main stat), and it would be a shame to mess up all that work by tossing in something completely different.
    I heartily agree with that.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  12. Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Well, the final transcript is up, and thus ends the Hobbits to Isengard Q&A. It's been awesome guys. But it's not over - there will be more to come with the Dwarves Through Moria runs starting in the next week or two.

    Just a reminder that for the Dwarf runs, thanks to some kind players, I will not be doing the transcripts single-handedly. Me and other volunteers will be sharing the task. If you would like to volunteer to help out, let me know. Once the schedule for the Dwarf runs is finalized I will be posting the full schedule and people will have the opportunity to say which run(s) they would like to do transcripts for. I will then post those players names next to the run in the schedule so it will be easy to keep track of whose turn it is. Players are welcome to sign up to do just one, or to do more transcripts if they wish.

    I just want to thank everyone for making this such a worthwhile task, and for all your kind words along the way. It's truly been a great experience!

    Special thanks to Sapience and Turbine for hosting these events, which I think have enriched the LotRO community immeasurably over the past several months.

    Fun Facts

    28 servers*
    82,914 words**
    1,463 questions

    Most questions: Morthond - 76
    Fewest questions: Elendilmir - 13
    Chattiest run: Bullroarer - 6,734 words
    Quietest run: Elendilmir - 646 words
    Most difficult run: Riddermark

    *I didn't start this until the third, and Bullroarer was added to the list
    **Not including the non-hobbit run livestream transcripts


    Once again, congrats to Eldar for their winning run!!
    Thanks for doing the transcripts. We would't have had nearly the information for our podcast without these. You are my hero.

  13. #613
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Othniel View Post
    I remember my minstrel wearing medium armour (I still miss that :P), but I've kept pretty close tabs on tailoring recipes over the years since my main is a tailor, and I end up making a lot of armour for kin-members. There is definitely some newer stuff in there that is somewhat heavy on the agility. Either way, I'd rather keep to the "Light = Will, Medium = Agility, Heavy = Might" formula. The reason Wardens were switched from Might to Agility was to better fit itemization patterns and such (and conveniently, we currently have 3 classes for each main stat), and it would be a shame to mess up all that work by tossing in something completely different.
    Beorning can be treated as an odd case, so there would be really nothing being tossed away. No Warden, Hunter and Burglar will want to equip Beorning's armor, if Beorning uses medium one, so do Minstrel, Lore-master and Rune-keeper if Beorning wears light armor.

    As a new class with odd stat building, Beorning can be attractive to players who are tired of the formula :Light = Will, Medium = Agility, Heavy = Might"

  14. #614
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    4,954
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Beorning can be treated as an odd case, so there would be really nothing being tossed away. No Warden, Hunter and Burglar will want to equip Beorning's armor, if Beorning uses medium one, so do Minstrel, Lore-master and Rune-keeper if Beorning wears light armor.

    As a new class with odd stat building, Beorning can be attractive to players who are tired of the formula :Light = Will, Medium = Agility, Heavy = Might"
    That's an excellent point. For a Beorning specifically, one could see having Will as a Man and either Agility or Might as the bear.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Saurons Pocket
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    The slot question was answered in the run - they are looking into it and hoping to be able to bundle some slots with the purchase if possible. As for the class being free, there has never been a free class in LotRO. Both the RK and Warden were "pay to unlock" for everyone, including VIP. The only exception was when it was bundled with Moria. Since they aren't doing any expansions this year, I don't expect to see it bundled with any content releases.
    Ooops sorry. I forgot that it was bundled with Moria. Some peeps have excellent memories.
    So, i wonder how many boars i'm going to have to kill to buy this class lol.....

    what do you think? 250 tp for class and 250 tp for extra slot? 500 tp as a bundle?
    Im just basing that on the fact that an expansion normally costs around 4000 tp when newly shipped and that has a whole multitude of other things attached such as land mass, content, quest packs, instance clusters or big battles or skirmiishes and usually a class update or 3 along with changes to itemization and such......

    So, im guessing a slot and a class is kind of perfectly priced at 1/8 th of an expansion. 500tp. I'd be ok with that as a bundle.

    what does anybody else think?

  16. #616
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by mithelenthor View Post
    Ooops sorry. I forgot that it was bundled with Moria. Some peeps have excellent memories.
    So, i wonder how many boars i'm going to have to kill to buy this class lol.....

    what do you think? 250 tp for class and 250 tp for extra slot? 500 tp as a bundle?
    Im just basing that on the fact that an expansion normally costs around 4000 tp when newly shipped and that has a whole multitude of other things attached such as land mass, content, quest packs, instance clusters or big battles or skirmiishes and usually a class update or 3 along with changes to itemization and such......

    So, im guessing a slot and a class is kind of perfectly priced at 1/8 th of an expansion. 500tp. I'd be ok with that as a bundle.

    what does anybody else think?
    Well, the RK and the Warden are currently selling for 795TP I think, but I'd imagine the Beorning would cost more than that. You've got to think that a steed costs upwards of 2,000TP, and it's not all that exciting a proposition. A new class, something we haven't had in years, is surely going to be priced at least comparably with a new mount. I would hope so, anyway. If it costs more to get a mount than it does to get an entire new class, there's something really wrong...

    I may be way off base, though. At this point anything anyone says is just going to be a guess, because there's really been no discussion around price yet. The best we can say is, it will be at least as much as the RK and Warden are - 795/ea.

  17. #617
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Well, the RK and the Warden are currently selling for 795TP I think, but I'd imagine the Beorning would cost more than that. You've got to think that a steed costs upwards of 2,000TP, and it's not all that exciting a proposition. A new class, something we haven't had in years, is surely going to be priced at least comparably with a new mount. I would hope so, anyway. If it costs more to get a mount than it does to get an entire new class, there's something really wrong...
    Too much 'real life logic'. The fluff in games costs absurdity and beyond and that's fine, but the useful (or at least 'useful') things should be treated differently - they are not for showing off, they are integral to gameplay.

    Offering the new class for RK/Warden-price would be somehow... anti-Turbine, imo. This would contradict to how they tend to evaluate their work in recent times (the term for which is 'unrealistically').
    Offering it for 2k TP would be too much in-the-face showing of bad taste. Again, imo. Not that I can't imagine it happening, or even tagging higher price than that. 'New' means 'expensive', didn't I know that...
    Finding the golden middle spot perhaps would be a good choice; whether it will happen or not remains to be seen. History suggests that they have problems with finding the golden middle spots. Prices, balance, loot system - you name it.

  18. #618
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,515
    Thank you so much for all your hard work, frickinmuck! It's very much appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Belegar

    • Rowan – This is a system they are developing out and building on, so they want to introduce additional features in the future, like collections of pets, groups of pets that you can pick up and when you have all the pets together then you get an additional reward or pet.
    The whole thing about collections and rewards sounds awesome but as it is now it worries me. I'm a completionist so I'd want to finish collections, and if there's a great reward like a pet or something else that most people really really really want, and it's locked behind gathering pets where some of the pets are so rare that most people will have to buy them on the AH. Well, that's fine too, but the Large Shrew is sold for around 5000 gold on some servers and there's no way many of us will ever get that kind of money :/

    So please don't let pets that are that expensive count for completing collections to unlock rewards
    ;) [COLOR="#9999ff"]“There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb[/COLOR]

  19. #619
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchir View Post
    Too much 'real life logic'. The fluff in games costs absurdity and beyond and that's fine, but the useful (or at least 'useful') things should be treated differently - they are not for showing off, they are integral to gameplay.

    Offering the new class for RK/Warden-price would be somehow... anti-Turbine, imo. This would contradict to how they tend to evaluate their work in recent times (the term for which is 'unrealistically').
    Offering it for 2k TP would be too much in-the-face showing of bad taste. Again, imo. Not that I can't imagine it happening, or even tagging higher price than that. 'New' means 'expensive', didn't I know that...
    Finding the golden middle spot perhaps would be a good choice; whether it will happen or not remains to be seen. History suggests that they have problems with finding the golden middle spots. Prices, balance, loot system - you name it.
    I disagree with this assessment of things. I can't get behind the idea that we should pay more for fluff than we do for actual substance. To me, something like a steed is of little value to my gameplay. I have bought one or two just to get the warsteed gear on certain characters, but for the most part they don't really interest me at all. Something that is of as big a value to gameplay as an entire new class that I can re-experience the game through, I would gladly pay that much for it if it was a class I was excited about. It's the price of a movie ticket or a book or a bottle of wine. Or only 4 months of VIP allowance. In my world, the cost/value is clear.

    As for 'golden middle spots' that is a very subjective concept. One person's 'golden middle spot' is another person's outrageous joke. A more accurate statement would be "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

  20. #620
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I disagree with this assessment of things. I can't get behind the idea that we should pay more for fluff than we do for actual substance. To me, something like a steed is of little value to my gameplay. I have bought one or two just to get the warsteed gear on certain characters, but for the most part they don't really interest me at all. Something that is of as big a value to gameplay as an entire new class that I can re-experience the game through, I would gladly pay that much for it if it was a class I was excited about. It's the price of a movie ticket or a book or a bottle of wine. Or only 4 months of VIP allowance. In my world, the cost/value is clear.

    As for 'golden middle spots' that is a very subjective concept. One person's 'golden middle spot' is another person's outrageous joke. A more accurate statement would be "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
    I'll agree with you on principle: items that meaningfully effect gameplay should cost more than fluff. With that said, I wouldn't immediately agree that because some fluff has been priced at 2,000 TPs, that therefore Beornings have to cost at least that much. It assumes that the pricing on fluff is a good barometer for what a TP is worth. As you've already pointed out, cosmetics are very subjective: it's not a reliable metric of comparison.

    Instead, I'd rather Beornings were priced against similar products. RKs and Wardens are the obvious baseline - if Beornings cost anything less than 795 TPs I would be shocked. The other comparable item is the Gift of the Valar, at 4,995 TP. It allows other classes to zoom up to level 50, and we know that Beornings will start at level 50 as well. Conceivably (and perhaps unwisely), Beornings could end up costing as much as A new class + 50 'free' levels; 5790 TP. To me, that's the range of the conversation. They should cost at least 795, and shouldn't cost any more than 5,790. Where Turbine lands inside that massive range depends on a few variables:

    • What new content, if any, comes with the Beornings (pseudo-starter regions, class quests, etc)
    • What items, if any, Beornings start out with (see GoTV starter items for possible comparisons)
    • What perspective Turbine takes on the level 50 start - is it "starting at 50 makes sense for lore/gameplay, and isn't a cost factor" or is it "we're giving you a huge leg-up and you should pay handsomely for it"?
    • How much importance is placed on the "new car smell" of our first new class in years
    • How expensive Beornings can get before it becomes a price most players won't/can't pay
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

  21. #621
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    I disagree with this assessment of things. I can't get behind the idea that we should pay more for fluff than we do for actual substance.
    I myself am also facing certain difficulties when trying to get behind this idea. Yet it exists in full power all over the gaming world since not really yesterday, LOTRO included. Single cosmetic outfits in some places are sold at the price of an update/expansion.
    While getting behind it may be not easy, I have no problems accepting it. And I was actually quite fond of it, as far as the mounts are concerned. It was my own way to additionally support the game and I enjoyed it. Then things in the neighborhood shifted and one day I came to the conclusion that even content here isn't worth my buck, let alone fluff. Things change, that's life, but anyway the super expensive fluff is part of that show.

    As for 'golden middle spots' that is a very subjective concept. One person's 'golden middle spot' is another person's outrageous joke. A more accurate statement would be "you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."
    I again agree here. Your words show us why statistics is a good thing to have under your pillow. It can show you how to please efficiently, i.e. the max people with min effort, what 'some of the people' or 'some of the time' actually means, and other such magical tricks. While there will always be unhappy folks, the point is to maximize the happy ones. 'Golden middle' doesn't have to mean 'everyone is happy'. But it kinda should mean 'most are happy'. But what I see these days is that the long expected 'revival' of LOTRO is not taking place. And I'm expecting (albeit with indifferent, vague curiosity) what will be the pricing of the new class, because something as simple as that can speak tons.

  22. #622
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchir View Post
    And I'm expecting (albeit with indifferent, vague curiosity) what will be the pricing of the new class, because something as simple as that can speak tons.
    All that something like that can say is that it's the price Turbine decided on. There's really not much more to it than that, from our perspective. Trying to extrapolate anything more would be utterly pointless and speculative.

    Any discussion of price at this point is 100% speculative anyway. At this point I'm just talking about what I would expect to pay based on 1] what I pay for other things in LotRO and 2] what the real value is to me. Like I said, $20 is less than a movie & popcorn in a theatre, it's about the price of a decent bottle of wine. For potentially hours and hours of enjoyment? The value to me is clear. Anyone who's asked what they'd expect to pay, or what value something like that might have for them, would likely have a totally different answer. In the end Turbine will decide on the price based on whatever information they have, various business/marketing considerations, etc.

    I agree that it could end up being priced even more than that - that's something I could see happening, too. Then that gets into a discussion of the whole level 50 thing and I don't even want to get into that. There are dozens of reasons I totally hate the idea of a level 50 start. It's a bummer they are starting it at 50. If there's anything that could make me decide not to buy it, it's that. Forget the price.

    Anyway, it is interesting to hear people's opinions on pricing. I think a lot of that often comes down to IRL economic situations, personal expectations, and how happy someone is with the game and how much time/interest they have in digging deeper into it.

  23. #623
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bowling Green, Ohio
    Posts
    4,400
    • "Rowan – This is a system they are developing out and building on, so they want to introduce additional features in the future, like collections of pets, groups of pets that you can pick up and when you have all the pets together then you get an additional reward or pet."


    I can see this.

    Collective five keys that let you summon pet cats, each in different colors. Red, green, yellow, blue, and black. Then you could form one big cat pet which could wield a mighty weapon, the “Blazing Shrew!”

    [COLOR=#ffd700][I][B]Founder, Leader - [/B][/I][/COLOR][B][U][URL="http://www.SonsOfNumenor.com/portal"]SonsOfNumenor.com[/URL][/U]
    [/B][CENTER][URL="http://www.sonsofnumenor.com/sol"][B][SIZE=3][U][COLOR=#ffd700]Symphony of Light VI: Sept 22, 2015: SonsOfNumenor.com/sol[/COLOR][/U][/SIZE][/B][/URL][/CENTER]

  24. #624
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Posts
    3,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    I can see this.

    Collective five keys that let you summon pet cats, each in different colors. Red, green, yellow, blue, and black. Then you could form one big cat pet which could wield a mighty weapon, the “Blazing Shrew!”
    Petformers!!

    Maybe if you get all the pets in a category, you can summon them all at once! GAHHH that would be so cool.

    I want a litter of kittens that follow me around and mewl all day.

  25. #625
    More like Voltron, actually.

    Anyway, I don't want to deviate more for pricing etc. I just wanted to mention about the expensive gaming fluff.
    But have no doubts that pricing speaks more than 'that's what they decided', even to people outside of the system that takes the decision. In the case of this game, it started with HD (or perhaps Wildermore) and the 'message' is going on since then, new classes or not. I don't want to provoke a specific response now or anything, suffice to say the 'golden middle' is quite not found at this point, one aspect of the game or another. Time will show how this will end.

 

 
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload