We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frickinmuck View Post
    Fair enough. I didn't see them when I was on Bullroarer with U13.1 but I could have missed them.
    No fake. No NDA.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...41#post7156341

Fair enough. I didn't see them when I was on Bullroarer with U13.1 but I could have missed them.
    One of the GMs dropped a bunch of them on the ground in Eyes & Guard. So, they're real, you just had to be online when that happened to get one.

But I don't think the in-game method for obtaining the new pets has been revealed yet. (Hobnanigans seems like a reasonable guess for the chicken pet, though.)
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

Quote Originally Posted by furtim View Post
    One of the GMs dropped a bunch of them on the ground in Eyes & Guard. So, they're real, you just had to be online when that happened to get one.

But I don't think the in-game method for obtaining the new pets has been revealed yet. (Hobnanigans seems like a reasonable guess for the chicken pet, though.)
    Ah, cool - I didn't hear about that. Still seems a bit spoilery to post them, but that's just me.

I agree, Hobnanigans seems the likeliest for these. I am way more excited about the game than the pets, though. Really looking forward to playing!! Gah, can't wait for them to fire it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    I definitely don't want to put absolutes around the pets.

They're new, and 13.1 is only the second update to roll them out.

We want to be sure that you enjoy them (and learn more about what you want) before we add a lot of them. The initial feedback has been good, so we're expanding on it for U14.

Especially in the early days we want these to be a reward for playing the game. Later we may have promotional pets, store pets etc. For now pets are only available as in-game quest or festival rewards.
    If you want pets to be a reward for playing, then make them a reward for playing; if you desire to make them a rare occurrence, only for those who have a lucky pRNG generator, then state it that way.

Just as I collect horses, and most of them I haven't used beside the one time to see what they look like, I'd collect pets even if I didn't use them; however, my pRNG isn't one of the lucky ones, so I won't bother if that's the case. Your choice, do you want people playing and enjoying Lotro, or do you prefer to annoy your customers for a cosmetic item?

Q&A Hobbits to Isengard - Landroval

Please note: I am paraphrasing here. Anything said here is coming through my interpretation of what was said, and is subject to being corrected, so don't take all this as the final word.

If anyone who was present has any additions or corrections, feel free to post.

Video available here.

Guest for this run - Ransroth, Game Systems Engineer

Special thanks to Corulin for capturing the text chat. Since some discussion tends to happen in the text chat after, and in this case, during the event, sometimes that part gets missed if I’m not in the chat that day. If anyone does capture the entire chat and wants to send it to me after a run in case I didn’t get it, you can send it to me at rhovanael@gmail.com. Thanks!

1. Sapience mentioned in the forums that he’s going to be in Western New York state in June, and that he’s willing to go to Buffalo or Niagara Falls for a meet and greet. The question is about whether he would be going to the US or Canadian side of Niagara falls
      If he goes to Niagara Falls, it will be the Canadian side. Whether the meet and greet will be on the US side of the border in Buffalo, or on the Canadian side in Niagara Falls will be up to whoever organizes and plans it. Last time they did it at the Anchor bar in Buffalo and it was easy to get to and they had good wings. The discussion is up and the conversation is happening. He asks that you chime in on whether you’d like to meet in Buffalo or in Niagara Falls.
    2. How long do you need to play LotRO to get to level 95 and unlock all the lands and stuff
      It depends on the player. He knows people who’ve been playing since launch who still don’t have a level 95 character, and some people who’ve only been playing for a couple of months and are already there. It depends on how fast someone plays, and how hard they assault the level range.
    3. Can you have more than one pet out at a time
      Not cosmetic pets, no. If you have a Captain Herald or a LM pet, you can have a cosmetic pet out in addition to one of those kinds of pets, but you can’t have two cosmetic pets out at a time.
    4. Can you explain the uninitiated why Landroval is by far the best server in the game
      No (laughs). He can’t. Mostly because he doesn’t want to mislead anyone. Landroval is a great server, whether you like RP or very large social gatherings, it’s an excellent server. It’s home to the Lonely Mountain Band, one of the kins that does the most activities for their server. There are a lot of kins who do things on a lot of different servers, but LMB tends to stand out when it comes to that.
    5. Sapience announces that Hobnanigans is coming for a few days starting tomorrow. People can check it out and play a little chicken hockey. It will be turned on for a weekend every now and then, just like XP weekends and the Treasure Hunt. But tomorrow will be the first day for that.
    6. What are the odds of creep classes getting a full-on revamp
      In terms of a full revamp like the one done to freep classes, not good, but he will ask Jinjaah and see what he has to say.
    7. How will you know if Hobnanigans is turned on
      The fields will be active, we will be able to play and interact with the NPCs there. They will also announce it in the forums and on Facebook and Twitter.
    8. Question about when the next producer’s letter will be coming
      He thinks they’re at a pace to do those at every major update, so he thinks the next one should be at around the time of U14.
    9. Was Bree intended to be the hub it has become
      Yes, it was a natural central point, where everyone goes to meet up. Bree has always been a hub location and one they’ve tried to make a hub. Pretty much every character ends up in Bree at some point if they’re following the epic storyline.
    10. Are there any plans for bulk relic combination
      Not for U14 as far as he knows, no real plans. It’s something that comes up and has been discussed by the devs before, but there’s no definite plans for it at this point.
    11. Sapience expands on the social hub question. He says they don’t intentionally try to create new social hubs with new content, they just naturally become that because there needs to be a starting/central point for new content. Some places like the 21st Hall stay as hubs for longer than others, but Bree always tends to draw people back.
    12. Question about more cosmetic and bag slots
      There have been more added fairly recently. U13 had 15 extra bag slots. But they will probably never be added at the rate that some people want them.
    13. Can we get more chest slots added
      There were more added with Helm’s Deep. Those kinds of additions tend to be gradual over time. If you’ve used up what’s been added, he recommends making suggestions in the forums for more.
    14. When does the selection of horses in the store change
      He doesn’t think it’s monthly. He thinks it’s on kind of a random cycle. He recommends checking the store regularly.
    15. Any plans for store purchase mounts to be account-wide
      There are a lot of discussions about it. It’s not something that’s easy to do in terms of value proposition because when something is account-wide then the value goes up and then they need to think about how much the price should go up, how much will people pay, etc. They do talk about account-wide options but he doesn’t know whether they’ll ever convert them all to account-wide.
    16. Is it possible to get a dev night in the Moors
      He doesn’t think it would be feasible because as soon as they announced there was a dev in the Moors it would become unplayable. People would come to the Moors who never come to the Moors, and the point of being there would be gone. You wouldn’t be able to move, and everyone would just be trying to kill the dev. There wouldn’t be an accurate representation of a typical night in the Moors. That’s not to say they won’t sneak someone in there, or that they haven’t, but as far as an announced dev night in the Moors, basically what you’re saying is “Which night would you like the crash the Ettenmoors?”
    17. Question about Beornings starting at level 50
      That is the current thinking. Rowan mentioned it in one of his follow-up questions to the EP letter. [Actually it was in the Vanyar Hobbits to Isengard run. – Frick]
    18. Sapience elaborates on the Moors event question by talking about his Extra Life Moors events. It doesn’t take long for them to become not even remotely playable or fun, because people just flip to kill the dev. They don’t care about anyone else out there, they just want to kill the dev.
    19. If the Beorning starts at 50, what about the fun of learning to play a class
      If there are one or two level increases before the Beorning is in-game, that is 55 levels to learn how to play your class. If the argument is “learning to play”, if you haven’t learned from 50 to 105 you probably weren’t going to learn from 1 to 50 either.
    20. What about having multiple devs in the Moors and spreading them out
      With 29 servers, would you rather have devs play the game or make the game? That would mean dedicating hours and hours of dev time to playing. And it wouldn’t change the dynamic that when a dev shows up on a server, wherever they go it gets hectic, in the Moors or out. So it wouldn’t change things, it would just take more dev time out of the game, just to have devs sitting there getting killed repeatedly. Fun, but impractical.
    21. Sapience points out that when the game was launched the level cap was 50, and that was all the levels people had to learn their class and get to end game.
    22. Will there ever be more creep skins added
      Never say never, but he’s not currently aware of anything like that in the works.
    23. What about a new creep class
      No plans for a new creep class.
    24. How do devs decide on the look and feel of a new zone
      They read the books. Tolkien is pretty clear about what is and isn’t in an area, what it looks like, how things appear, the type of architecture. If they already have Gondorian architecture in the game and they know they’re going into a Gondorian type of region, you can expect to see that type of architecture to show up again. But Tolkien was pretty clear about how things should look, so a lot of it is just references from the books themselves.
    25. More questions about Beornings
      The Players Council has a full spec they are reviewing, and beyond that they will talk about the new class as they get closer to launching it. Nothing is final yet, so anything he says now could change tomorrow.
    26. Question about creep mounts
      There are no plans for creep mounts, sorry.
    27. How does the team decide how large a region should be
      Practicality. Do you really need to build 500 square miles, or can the point of the size of an area be made in 100, or in 50? And time, too. Sometimes it’s not practical to spend a large amount of time to make largely empty areas just so you can put a bit of content in one corner of it.
    28. Question about scaling instances
      Currently no plans to scale any instances. That’s not to say that won’t ever happen in the future, but nothing is currently slated.
    29. Siege weapons for the Moors were under consideration, are they still
      Yes.
    30. Is there any chance fireworks will be modified to be super-aggro-pullers
      Uhhhhhhhh, no. Although that would be pretty funny. It would be surprising for the people launching them, too.
    31. Anything new you can share about the Spring Festival
      Yes, they’ve got some new stuff coming. He won’t say much beyond that, because there were some discussions and he’s not sure what got added and didn’t get added.
    32. Any chance of seeing cosmetic actions turned into skills
      Not likely, but he recommends making a suggestion in the forums and the devs will take a look at it.
    33. Any plans to change the threat/aggro mechanics
      None that he’s aware of or heard talk of.
    34. Will we have instanced PvP across servers
      No. No plans for that.
    35. Why are the freeps bringing the hobbits to Isengard instead of the Uruk-hai? Is this just a case of finishing what they couldn’t
      (Laughs) Creeps just aren’t all that reliable, let’s be honest. They have urges they can’t resist. You’d get eaten halfway through.
    36. Any plans for lower level creep areas
      No plans.
    37. Is there a set date for the new class
      Yes. If the follow-up question is “Will you share it?” the answer is “No.”
    38. Any plans for chicken play to return to the Moors
      He’s tried on a number of occasions to convince someone to go back over that quest – it was an April Fool’s Day quest – and see if they can’t do something with it. It’s really low priority, but he will keep pushing. He plotted and schemed for what seems like forever to get Hobnanigans back in the game, so he never says die when it comes to things involving chickens. Especially when it involves chickens getting kicked or pummeled or stabbed.
    39. When will we be able to use the /fart emote
      Sapience explains (while laughing) that if you try to use this emote in-game it will tell you “you cannot use this emote yet.” He has asked about this repeatedly and will let us know when he hears any news about it. Apparently it was originally going to be a monster play emote, but was cut and not fully removed from the game. He would be completely shocked if it did show up in some form. It probably won’t be making it into the game but it is funny.
    40. Question about culled content, space combat panel
      They discovered awhile back that players were using the LUA scripting to pull information from the game that they were putting in there for future updates, so they decided to have fun with that and put crazy things in there that weren’t ever going to happen or might have happened under radically different names, conditions and circumstances. So the space combat panel was a red herring. And one that worked, apparently.
    41. Can you tell us what the horseshoe does
      It does absolutely nothing that we think it does, and everything he’s said it does in the past. The first thing it ever did was it changed one sentence in one quest in the epic storyline immediately after we get the horseshoe if we have it equipped. That was its original purpose. Since then devs have continued to add to it, but he doesn’t know of anything lately. He will say that if you’re participating in the snowball fights, we should definitely wear our horseshoes. It does impact that slightly.
      Ransroth joins the text chat.
    42. Ransroth says he’s pretty sure the space combat panel ended up being the trait tree panel.
    43. Speculation that the horseshoe gives a morale boost
      Sapience – No, it doesn’t
    44. Sapience mentions that Ransroth is working on the new global chat channel, he’s worked on the original vault revamp and a bunch of other changes along similar lines.
    45. What does OOC stand for
      Sapience – Out Of Character
    46. Sapience talks about the Dead Hobbits Society. Any time a hobbit dies trying to get to Isengard in these runs, they return to Bree and lie down by the milestone so that when he returns at the end of the run he will be surrounded by all the hobbit carcasses.
    47. What is the best way to minimize server-client traffic when there are a million players on the screen
      Ransroth – That’s a complex question. There really isn't a great way to make things a lot better. Every player needs to update every other player. Mostly everything has to happen on the server no matter what (one exception: cosmetic pets).
    48. Would changing the direction you are running cause more traffic than just running in the same direction
      Ransroth – The client does have some authority over movement - but not when you are on a warsteed.
    49. What has been your favorite thing from the story to implement in the game
      Ransroth – He doesn't really implement things from the story, being an engineer, but some of his favorite things to implement are things that he uses every day to make life easier, such as autofellow from 13.1, or the dismount/remount keyboard shortcut. He most enjoys things which he then gets to play and enjoy in-game.
    50. Question about more user chat channels
      Ransroth – Never say never, but no current plans that he's aware of. If there's a lot of demand, it can be done.
    51. Have you given any thought to optimizations for events like this
      Ransroth – There isn't a ton they can do re optimization - when there are a lot of players all in the same area, there's a lot of overhead. One thing they could do is something like dynamic layers, but for one-off events that's a hefty price to pay
    52. Question about multiple global channels
      Ransroth – The current idea is to see how the /world channel works out and to see if the need for a second one will still be there afterwards.
    53. Since it's not called GLFF, do you expect it to be used for kinship ads and such, too
      Ransroth – "Do you mean to say that if we called it glff, then players wouldn't use it for kinship ads? " He thinks we have a great player community and they will be using the world channel responsibly.
    54. When you release the new channel, please post some kind of guideline, so people don't argue about it
      Ransroth – Says they'll discuss the guideline issue
    55. Is it true that game programmers get paid less and work longer hours because of supply and demand (i.e. everyone wants to be a game programmer)
      Ransroth – It is true that game programmers tend to have lower salaries than programmers with equivalent experience in other industries because of supply/demand/fun. Longer hours depends on a lot of factors - specific company, project, etc.

Sapience reminds everyone that Hobnanigans starts tomorrow, and if there’s time after Friday’s Isengard run he’ll go by there and get in on a game or two.
    Last edited by frickinmuck; May 09 2014 at 12:14 PM.

The Landroval transcript is up!

It was a fun run. After watching all of these runs, it was a really nice change to be the one dragging Sapience to Isengard! Hehe. It gave me a new appreciation for how challenging a task it can be!

There was no real advanced planning or practice, which is what I think killed our chances in the end. Well, that and a lot of lag due to the amount of people. A group of us started forming up a couple hours before the run, and we did part of a practice run (got as far as Enedwaith before we had to get back to Bree and start coordinating the details). A lot of people really banded together to help each other and it was a great community feeling. Here are the things we did that helped a lot, and may help you when it's your turn:

• We had a small, streamlined group running with Hadacar consisting mainly of a hunter with maxed out run-speed (me), a bunch of captains who could spam their speed boosts when they came off cooldown, a mini, and a guardian with Shield Wall up on Hadacar.
    • There was a vanguard raid group running out ahead clearing mobs, connected to me via Teamspeak.
    • There was a hunter with max run speed who was running with the Hadacar group, but who was part of the vanguard raid group so he could act as a marker for that group, and they were able to check in regularly to see where we were at just by opening the map. He was also connected via Teamspeak.
    • There were also a number of decoy characters at Hadacar's level or below running with us and drawing any aggro before Hadacar could be targeted. Sadly many of them joined the Dead Hobbits Society at the milestone outside the Pony. Their valorous efforts do not go uncelebrated!
    • There were also a huge number of players running alongside the group who really helped keep things cleared out around us.

Where we went wrong:

• We didn't plan far enough in advance. We should have had at least a few practice runs under our belt before doing this. It doesn't matter how much you know the way, or talk about the route (we talked about how we'd have to turn left at Galtrev, for example), in the run things happen so fast and it only takes a moment to make a wrong move and lose time. I've seen every single run, and saw where people made or lost time, and I still managed to make a wrong turn.
    • We didn't have quite enough coordination between the vanguard group and the Hadacar group. When we got to Dunland the Vanguard group was still a ways ahead, and there was a huge group running with the Hadacar group clearing mobs. They went right and the Vanguard group was apparently left. I basically followed the wrong group without realizing it, hence the big detour.
    • In Dunland I was paying too much attention to the group clearing things ahead and not enough attention to the map. That basically killed our time because Dunland is the primary area where time will be made or lost.
    • The vanguard group was a bit too polite. When I turned the wrong way they were too nice about it and didn't yell at me, so by the time I fully realized the mistake, it was too late.

But for a group that was cobbled together in a couple of hours, I think we did pretty good!

There were quite a few people who were a huge help and who deserve a special mention, but I realized after I logged out that I didn't get everyone's names. Sorry, guys! You know who you are. Everyone coordinating the vanguard group, the groups who offered up their Teamspeak for us to use, everyone in the Hadacar group and in the vanguard group, all the decoys, all the people clearing mobs, all the people cheering us on in GLFF, OOC and Twitch chat - great job, everyone!

Sapience is offline Former Community Manager & Harbinger of Soon

Please note: I am paraphrasing here. Anything said here is coming through my interpretation of what was said, and is subject to being corrected, so don't take all this as the final word.

If anyone who was present has any additions or corrections, feel free to post.

Video available here.

Guest for this run - Ransroth, Game Systems Engineer

Special thanks to Corulin for capturing the text chat. Since some discussion tends to happen in the text chat after, and in this case, during the event, sometimes that part gets missed if I’m not in the chat that day. If anyone does capture the entire chat and wants to send it to me after a run in case I didn’t get it, you can send it to me at rhovanael@gmail.com. Thanks!

1. Sapience mentioned in the forums that he’s going to be in Western New York state in June, and that he’s willing to go to Buffalo or Niagara Falls for a meet and greet. The question is about whether he would be going to the US or Canadian side of Niagara falls
      If he goes to Niagara Falls, it will be the Canadian side. Whether the meet and greet will be on the US side of the border in Buffalo, or on the Canadian side in Niagara Falls will be up to whoever organizes and plans it. Last time they did it at the Anchor bar in Buffalo and it was easy to get to and they had good wings. The discussion is up and the conversation is happening. He asks that you chime in on whether you’d like to meet in Buffalo or in Niagara Falls.
    2. How long do you need to play LotRO to get to level 95 and unlock all the lands and stuff
      It depends on the player. He knows people who’ve been playing since launch who still don’t have a level 95 character, and some people who’ve only been playing for a couple of months and are already there. It depends on how fast someone plays, and how hard they assault the level range.
    3. Can you have more than one pet out at a time
      Not cosmetic pets, no. If you have a Captain Herald or a LM pet, you can have a cosmetic pet out in addition to one of those kinds of pets, but you can’t have two cosmetic pets out at a time.
    4. Can you explain the uninitiated why Landroval is by far the best server in the game
      No (laughs). He can’t. Mostly because he doesn’t want to mislead anyone. Landroval is a great server, whether you like RP or very large social gatherings, it’s an excellent server. It’s home to the Lonely Mountain Band, one of the kins that does the most activities for their server. There are a lot of kins who do things on a lot of different servers, but LMB tends to stand out when it comes to that.
    5. Sapience announces that Hobnanigans is coming for a few days starting tomorrow. People can check it out and play a little chicken hockey. It will be turned on for a weekend every now and then, just like XP weekends and the Treasure Hunt. But tomorrow will be the first day for that.
    6. What are the odds of creep classes getting a full-on revamp
      In terms of a full revamp like the one done to freep classes, not good, but he will ask Jinjaah and see what he has to say.
    7. How will you know if Hobnanigans is turned on
      The fields will be active, we will be able to play and interact with the NPCs there. They will also announce it in the forums and on Facebook and Twitter.
    8. Question about when the next producer’s letter will be coming
      He thinks they’re at a pace to do those at every major update, so he thinks the next one should be at around the time of U14.
    9. Was Bree intended to be the hub it has become
      Yes, it was a natural central point, where everyone goes to meet up. Bree has always been a hub location and one they’ve tried to make a hub. Pretty much every character ends up in Bree at some point if they’re following the epic storyline.
    10. Are there any plans for bulk relic combination
      Not for U14 as far as he knows, no real plans. It’s something that comes up and has been discussed by the devs before, but there’s no definite plans for it at this point.
    11. Sapience expands on the social hub question. He says they don’t intentionally try to create new social hubs with new content, they just naturally become that because there needs to be a starting/central point for new content. Some places like the 21st Hall stay as hubs for longer than others, but Bree always tends to draw people back.
    12. Question about more cosmetic and bag slots
      There have been more added fairly recently. U13 had 15 extra bag slots. But they will probably never be added at the rate that some people want them.
    13. Can we get more chest slots added
      There were more added with Helm’s Deep. Those kinds of additions tend to be gradual over time. If you’ve used up what’s been added, he recommends making suggestions in the forums for more.
    14. When does the selection of horses in the store change
      He doesn’t think it’s monthly. He thinks it’s on kind of a random cycle. He recommends checking the store regularly.
    15. Any plans for store purchase mounts to be account-wide
      There are a lot of discussions about it. It’s not something that’s easy to do in terms of value proposition because when something is account-wide then the value goes up and then they need to think about how much the price should go up, how much will people pay, etc. They do talk about account-wide options but he doesn’t know whether they’ll ever convert them all to account-wide.
    16. Is it possible to get a dev night in the Moors
      He doesn’t think it would be feasible because as soon as they announced there was a dev in the Moors it would become unplayable. People would come to the Moors who never come to the Moors, and the point of being there would be gone. You wouldn’t be able to move, and everyone would just be trying to kill the dev. There wouldn’t be an accurate representation of a typical night in the Moors. That’s not to say they won’t sneak someone in there, or that they haven’t, but as far as an announced dev night in the Moors, basically what you’re saying is “Which night would you like the crash the Ettenmoors?”
    17. Question about Beornings starting at level 50
      That is the current thinking. Rowan mentioned it in one of his follow-up questions to the EP letter. [Actually it was in the Vanyar Hobbits to Isengard run. – Frick]
    18. Sapience elaborates on the Moors event question by talking about his Extra Life Moors events. It doesn’t take long for them to become not even remotely playable or fun, because people just flip to kill the dev. They don’t care about anyone else out there, they just want to kill the dev.
    19. If the Beorning starts at 50, what about the fun of learning to play a class
      If there are one or two level increases before the Beorning is in-game, that is 55 levels to learn how to play your class. If the argument is “learning to play”, if you haven’t learned from 50 to 105 you probably weren’t going to learn from 1 to 50 either.
    20. What about having multiple devs in the Moors and spreading them out
      With 29 servers, would you rather have devs play the game or make the game? That would mean dedicating hours and hours of dev time to playing. And it wouldn’t change the dynamic that when a dev shows up on a server, wherever they go it gets hectic, in the Moors or out. So it wouldn’t change things, it would just take more dev time out of the game, just to have devs sitting there getting killed repeatedly. Fun, but impractical.
    21. Sapience points out that when the game was launched the level cap was 50, and that was all the levels people had to learn their class and get to end game.
    22. Will there ever be more creep skins added
      Never say never, but he’s not currently aware of anything like that in the works.
    23. What about a new creep class
      No plans for a new creep class.
    24. How do devs decide on the look and feel of a new zone
      They read the books. Tolkien is pretty clear about what is and isn’t in an area, what it looks like, how things appear, the type of architecture. If they already have Gondorian architecture in the game and they know they’re going into a Gondorian type of region, you can expect to see that type of architecture to show up again. But Tolkien was pretty clear about how things should look, so a lot of it is just references from the books themselves.
    25. More questions about Beornings
      The Players Council has a full spec they are reviewing, and beyond that they will talk about the new class as they get closer to launching it. Nothing is final yet, so anything he says now could change tomorrow.
    26. Question about creep mounts
      There are no plans for creep mounts, sorry.
    27. How does the team decide how large a region should be
      Practicality. Do you really need to build 500 square miles, or can the point of the size of an area be made in 100, or in 50? And time, too. Sometimes it’s not practical to spend a large amount of time to make largely empty areas just so you can put a bit of content in one corner of it.
    28. Question about scaling instances
      Currently no plans to scale any instances. That’s not to say that won’t ever happen in the future, but nothing is currently slated.
    29. Siege weapons for the Moors were under consideration, are they still
      Yes.
    30. Is there any chance fireworks will be modified to be super-aggro-pullers
      Uhhhhhhhh, no. Although that would be pretty funny. It would be surprising for the people launching them, too.
    31. Anything new you can share about the Spring Festival
      Yes, they’ve got some new stuff coming. He won’t say much beyond that, because there were some discussions and he’s not sure what got added and didn’t get added.
    32. Any chance of seeing cosmetic actions turned into skills
      Not likely, but he recommends making a suggestion in the forums and the devs will take a look at it.
    33. Any plans to change the threat/aggro mechanics
      None that he’s aware of or heard talk of.
    34. Will we have instanced PvP across servers
      No. No plans for that.
    35. Why are the freeps bringing the hobbits to Isengard instead of the Uruk-hai? Is this just a case of finishing what they couldn’t
      (Laughs) Creeps just aren’t all that reliable, let’s be honest. They have urges they can’t resist. You’d get eaten halfway through.
    36. Any plans for lower level creep areas
      No plans.
    37. Is there a set date for the new class
      Yes. If the follow-up question is “Will you share it?” the answer is “No.”
    38. Any plans for chicken play to return to the Moors
      He’s tried on a number of occasions to convince someone to go back over that quest – it was an April Fool’s Day quest – and see if they can’t do something with it. It’s really low priority, but he will keep pushing. He plotted and schemed for what seems like forever to get Hobnanigans back in the game, so he never says die when it comes to things involving chickens. Especially when it involves chickens getting kicked or pummeled or stabbed.
    39. When will we be able to use the /fart emote
      Sapience explains (while laughing) that if you try to use this emote in-game it will tell you “you cannot use this emote yet.” He has asked about this repeatedly and will let us know when he hears any news about it. Apparently it was originally going to be a monster play emote, but was cut and not fully removed from the game. He would be completely shocked if it did show up in some form. It probably won’t be making it into the game but it is funny.
    40. Question about culled content, space combat panel
      They discovered awhile back that players were using the LUA scripting to pull information from the game that they were putting in there for future updates, so they decided to have fun with that and put crazy things in there that weren’t ever going to happen or might have happened under radically different names, conditions and circumstances. So the space combat panel was a red herring. And one that worked, apparently.
    41. Can you tell us what the horseshoe does
      It does absolutely nothing that we think it does, and everything he’s said it does in the past. The first thing it ever did was it changed one sentence in one quest in the epic storyline immediately after we get the horseshoe if we have it equipped. That was its original purpose. Since then devs have continued to add to it, but he doesn’t know of anything lately. He will say that if you’re participating in the snowball fights, we should definitely wear our horseshoes. It does impact that slightly.
      Ransroth joins the text chat.
    42. Ransroth says he’s pretty sure the space combat panel ended up being the trait tree panel.
    43. Speculation that the horseshoe gives a morale boost
      Sapience – No, it doesn’t
    44. Sapience mentions that Ransroth is working on the new global chat channel, he’s worked on the original vault revamp and a bunch of other changes along similar lines.
    45. What does OOC stand for
      Sapience – Out Of Character
    46. Sapience talks about the Dead Hobbits Society. Any time a hobbit dies trying to get to Isengard in these runs, they return to Bree and lie down by the milestone so that when he returns at the end of the run he will be surrounded by all the hobbit carcasses.
    47. What is the best way to minimize server-client traffic when there are a million players on the screen
      Ransroth – That’s a complex question. There really isn't a great way to make things a lot better. Every player needs to update every other player. Mostly everything has to happen on the server no matter what (one exception: cosmetic pets).
    48. Would changing the direction you are running cause more traffic than just running in the same direction
      Ransroth – The client does have some authority over movement - but not when you are on a warsteed.
    49. What has been your favorite thing from the story to implement in the game
      Ransroth – He doesn't really implement things from the story, being an engineer, but some of his favorite things to implement are things that he uses every day to make life easier, such as autofellow from 13.1, or the dismount/remount keyboard shortcut. He most enjoys things which he then gets to play and enjoy in-game.
    50. Question about more user chat channels
      Ransroth – Never say never, but no current plans that he's aware of. If there's a lot of demand, it can be done.
    51. Have you given any thought to optimizations for events like this
      Ransroth – There isn't a ton we can do re optimization - when there are a lot of players all in the same area, there's a lot of overhead. One thing we could do is something like dynamic layers, but for one-off events that's a hefty price to pay
    52. Question about multiple global channels
      Ransroth – The current idea is to see how the /world channel works out and to see if the need for a second one will still be there afterwards.
    53. Since it's not called GLFF, do you expect it to be used for kinship ads and such, too
      Ransroth – "Do you mean to say that if we called it glff, then players wouldn't use it for kinship ads? " He thinks we have a great player community and they will be using the world channel responsibly.
    54. When you release the new channel, please post some kind of guideline, so people don't argue about it
      Ransroth – Says they'll discuss the guideline issue
    55. Is it true that game programmers get paid less and work longer hours because of supply and demand (i.e. everyone wants to be a game programmer)
      Ransroth – It is true that game programmers tend to have lower salaries than programmers with equivalent experience in other industries because of supply/demand/fun. Longer hours depends on a lot of factors - specific company, project, etc.

Sapience reminds everyone that Hobnanigans starts tomorrow, and if there’s time after Friday’s Isengard run he’ll go by there and get in on a game or two.

Looks good!

I did speak with Jinjaah about the creep revamp question and this is what he had to say...

What are the odds of creep classes getting a full-on revamp?

Jinjaah: Over the last few months, a lot of the work that has gone into PVMP has been about making things easier to scale on the creep side from level bump to level bump. If we can lessen that load, then we can have time to make some more meaningful changes to the creep classes. In terms of an odds number, I don't think we can really say at this point.

I have to say I'm disappointed in only one global channel being worked on for implementation at this time. I think the inane chatter from /glff will simply migrate over to the new channel but never really leave /glff either. I would hope a second global channel for LFF would get the go ahead in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by FundinStrongarm View Post
    I have to say I'm disappointed in only one global channel being worked on for implementation at this time. I think the inane chatter from /glff will simply migrate over to the new channel but never really leave /glff either. I would hope a second global channel for LFF would get the go ahead in the near future.
    The simple truth is that will happen regardless. If we made two there'd be two global 'general chat' channels. We'll be keeping an eye on thing and see if a demand for a true global glff arises, or a trade or what not.

There is also a very real concern about overload. How many chat channels (remember, this is a new channel, not replacing something else) do you really need and how will the actually be used regardless of what we name them.

I find the official* in-game channels police themselves reasonably well. I will hope another global channel for finding groups is something that is wanted by the community. If resources are an issue, I could see removing some of the regional channels that see little use.

*Edit.
    Last edited by FundinStrongarm; May 09 2014 at 04:31 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as GLFF is not an official channel, it's never had official support. Now that we are getting an official version of GLFF, will it have official support? For example, if people start talking trash about reproductive organs, who's rear-end is prettiest, or have challenges to see who can use the most cuss words in the shortest amount of time, or who can think up the most insulting and denigrating thing to say to or about another person... we can get some help with controlling those loose-lipped crazies? Otherwise, what is the difference between GLFF and the new channel, aside from the fact that it won't take up one of our 4 custom channels?
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Will Ransroth eventually return for another Q/A in the future? I like to see more Q/A with him.
    And btw, I use strg+w to mount. Thanks!
    Suggestions: Tasks [URL="http://goo.gl/rt4M5"]en[/URL]|[URL="http://goo.gl/BBbhC"]de[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but as GLFF is not an official channel, it's never had official support. Now that we are getting an official version of GLFF, will it have official support? For example, if people start talking trash about reproductive organs, who's rear-end is prettiest, or have challenges to see who can use the most cuss words in the shortest amount of time, or who can think up the most insulting and denigrating thing to say to or about another person... we can get some help with controlling those loose-lipped crazies? Otherwise, what is the difference between GLFF and the new channel, aside from the fact that it won't take up one of our 4 custom channels?
    Yes, but again a report launches an investigation. The final decision is with the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schinderhannes View Post
    Will Ransroth eventually return for another Q/A in the future? I like to see more Q/A with him.
    And btw, I use strg+w to mount. Thanks!
    Yes! We've even taught him to speak! He now has a skype account so he can join in via voice so everyone can hear it, even those who are just listening to the audio and not actively watching the written chat.

I hope he continues to interact in both mediums. The discussions especially the answers given were much clearer as a result of the back and forth interaction. It gave needed clarity that rarely came when you were trying to shorten/summarize it for the sake of the stream's flow.

I know it's difficult to juggle, and you want to answer as many questions as possible at once. Often the question we were trying to ask, doesn't always come through well in these summations.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

I can't make today's stream so I'll ask my question here:

What's the difference between the current GLFFs and the Turbine-implemented GLFFs that are coming?
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Quote Originally Posted by Crell_1 View Post
    I hope he continues to interact in both mediums. The discussions especially the answers given were much clearer as a result of the back and forth interaction. It gave needed clarity that rarely came when you were trying to shorten/summarize it for the sake of the stream's flow.

I know it's difficult to juggle, and you want to answer as many questions as possible at once. Often the question we were trying to ask, doesn't always come through well in these summations.
    Then I'll give the answer I've always given about the twitter chat. Don't write long editorials. Ask the question. if it takes more than a sentence, you're editorializing, not asking a question.

One, clear, concise, question. Not a half paragraph that is simply not going to translate.

I personally look forward to the /world channel. I like to run big battles and I don't really mind taking lvl 10+ players to do them. /World channel will enable me to reach players I can't reach in glff while at the same time maintaining chat controls as an official channel.

Although I do believe Turbine NEEDs to re-formulate their character scaling tech to account for low lvl players not having advanced skills / trait points / LI bonuses.

I know for a fact that my lvl 10 RK with the best lvl 10 stone and gear available can only crit for 1,200 damage in a big battle at 95 when a 95 can crit for 20k+ using the same skill.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by Sapience View Post
    Yes, but again a report launches an investigation. The final decision is with the GM.
    Of course. It's just that, with the current situation, it seems like nothing ever gets done. I realize that people can create trash accounts just to harass others, but when the same high-level nut jobs keep barfing the same R rated material over and over, it makes it rather clear that no action is being taken yet.

could you clarify which method to use to report? When trash talk is going on, I'm not specifically being harassed, despite how inappropriate it is. Yet the only two report methods are "Report gold spammer" and "Report harassment". It'd be nice if we had one report function and inside had a drop-down menu for us to choose which reason, be it gold spammer, harassment, language, etc.
    R5 100 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 100 MNS Fayah/100 LM Siennah/100 HNT Dinenol/100 RK Dhurik
    100 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/60 BUR Dhax/35 WDN Godoric
    R9 100 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Warmutkan View Post
    What's the difference between the current GLFFs and the Turbine-implemented GLFFs that are coming?
    The current GLFF (and variants) are player-created channels that users must actively join in order to participate (i.e. /joinchannel glff). As a result, most players do not know about these channels, nor do they know how to join and activate them. The new /world channel that they are talking about, if I understand it correctly, will be an official game channel that will be turned on by default, so that players will immediately get access to it without having to a] know about its existence or b] know how to join it manually.

The current GLFF (and variants) are player-created channels that users must actively join in order to participate (i.e. /joinchannel glff). As a result, most players do not know about these channels, nor do they know how to join and activate them. The new /world channel that they are talking about, if I understand it correctly, will be an official game channel that will be turned on by default, so that players will immediately get access to it without having to a] know about its existence or b] know how to join it manually.
    That sounds like a really good channel.

However, there would need to be rules to prevent spam and stuff as well as an easy report/mute tool for it to stop inappropriate things from coming in.
    Withywindle characters-Caesaran (warden), Dernudan (Lore master)
    Brandywine characters- Dernudan (champion), Denthur (guardian), Delphinianic(captain)

Quote Originally Posted by Dernudan View Post
    That sounds like a really good channel.

However, there would need to be rules to prevent spam and stuff as well as an easy report/mute tool for it to stop inappropriate things from coming in.
    There are already rules and a reporting mechanism that I'm assuming will function for this channel as well, and people can use /ignore to stop seeing messages from people they don't want to hear from.

The more I consider it, while having a true global channel on the server is OK, it should not result in the loss of regional channels.

Mainly I think this because GLFF is a channel I've been in, but quickly jump out of and then take a long hot shower before seeking therapy. I would have to put it onto its own tab and generally ignore it. Or just as likely turn it off and ignore it. And I'm the Uber Lord of Spam on Landroval, so giving up a new chance to spend less time going region to region isn't something I take lightly.
    Founder, Leader - www.SonsOfNumenor.com

Openness

I just want to repeat this topic one last time, just to clarify things a bit.

First of, I fully respect, and probably understand the reaction of Sapience towards the question of a Team-Photo. I just felt a bit misunderstood.

Personally, I don't really need it. For me it is just curiosity, and to see how many are there. I've seen, heard and also read a lot of them over the years, but generally I think it could help to humanize them a bit more in front of people that are not so fully aware of who is making this game and under what circumstances and in which roles.
    They have to eat, and sometimes sleep. And yeah, as Sap mentioned, alot of them have a family at home. So time is a very important factor, but seeing this every day and being reminded with his own eyes and ears is still something different, than reminding yourself about these obvious things, when going into rage mode after something bad happens in the game.
    I always try not to be rude about such things, others don't. Maybe it is because they are shouting at Anonymous. ... If they do. A lot of the conversations at the forums are still very mature I have to say.

I'm following Star Cititzen and Limit Theory, both with a very open and personalized aproach to the community. They talk and write alot about how they are making the game and what problems they are facing.
    Sure, it consumes time not everybody has and both are different teams and sizes, but it seems to help to have a special realtionship with their players.

Again, I don't try to demand anything here. Especially because I wouldn't want to be dragged in front of a camera myself, just to show people that I exist.
    I'm just thinking it could help in the big picture.
    But sure, there are other ways...

P.S.: Or another idea: A day in the life of TBD (@turbine) in form of a diary entry or something else would still be very cool. Just to have a more intimate view on some of the staff instead of short postings or a few answers in a chat.
    I think we already had something like that in the past. Orion wrote some kind of a blog in Mylotro, but this was years ago.
    Last edited by Schinderhannes; May 09 2014 at 06:49 PM.
    Suggestions: Tasks [URL="http://goo.gl/rt4M5"]en[/URL]|[URL="http://goo.gl/BBbhC"]de[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    The more I consider it, while having a true global channel on the server is OK, it should not result in the loss of regional channels.

Mainly I think this because GLFF is a channel I've been in, but quickly jump out of and then take a long hot shower before seeking therapy. I would have to put it onto its own tab and generally ignore it. Or just as likely turn it off and ignore it. And I'm the Uber Lord of Spam on Landroval, so giving up a new chance to spend less time going region to region isn't something I take lightly.
    IMO, a single /world channel will quickly become the garbage that IS /glff. This is why I think it is important to have an official /world channel AND an official /globalLFF channel (and possibly one or two more - replacing all regional /trade and /advice channels with a global version, for example). There's a reason the most common globally used user created channel on most servers is called /glff or /globallff and isn't called /gOOC. I, too, will keep an eye on it at first. However, I fear that I will end up turning it off since it sounds like even the modest fig leaf of LFF won't be in the name and therefore the sky will be the limit on inanity.

I'm not saying they wouldn't need some oversight to keep people on task but I've noticed the official in-game channels do a fair bit of self moderation among the users. When you can't say "please take it to XXX channel", there's really no way but turning it off to stop some of the chatter.

I guess my only advice at this time is to call the new global channel GlobalOOC (which is what this new channel will be anyways) in the hopes that further global channels are added (like LFF, Advice and Trade) in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Schinderhannes View Post
    P.S.: Or another idea: A day in the life of TBD (@turbine) in form of a diary entry or something else would still be very cool. Just to have a more intimate view on some of the staff instead of short postings or a few answers in a chat.
    I think we already had something like that in the past. Orion wrote some kind of a blog in Mylotro, but this was years ago.
    Gonna plug the Day-in-the-life idea as well - goodness knows poor Sapience wants me to shut up about it, but I still think it's a lovely idea! XD

Thanks for your answer about GLFF's Frick. That's what I had guessed, but wasn't sure if there were extra bells and whistles involved with the new ones.
    Neddor, Untrustworthy Guardian of Arkenstone
    Massan, Captain Nutter of Laurelin

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast