We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Player

New Player

What is best server to PvE solo on? What class is best for soloing with? Can I solo in this game? What sites can I do some read on LOTRO?

All servers are identical for PvE solo. All classes can solo from 1 to 95. This forum contains about all the info you could possibly need to help figure out what you need to know about the game. Another handy site is Lotro-wiki.

Thanks, Magdon. I'll do more reading on the forum.

Don't hesitate to use the forums as well as reading them. There are some very knowledgeable and helpful players that hang out on the forums and are more than ready to answer questions that you have. You won't get called a noob for asking questions here
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - Thorin Oakenshield in [i]The Hobbit, or There and Back Again[/i] by J.R.R. Tolkien

Will do, Zikaris. I'm also playing EQ2 but, it seems like, this is going to be very different.

EQ 2 was a little more class dependent than lotro last I played it. The main difference is the lore. Read as much of the dialogue as you can if you are solo. It really increases the value of the setting.

I like EQ2 but I want something different when I need a break from it and LOTRO looks to be just that game. I like playing mages but I haven't seen that class. Any suggestions as to what class would be good to play?

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by Garren View Post
    I like EQ2 but I want something different when I need a break from it and LOTRO looks to be just that game. I like playing mages but I haven't seen that class. Any suggestions as to what class would be good to play?
    All depends on what you want:

I'll do a quick overview of the classes.

Burglar-Melee Single Target/Debuff/Support
    Champion-Melee Single Target/AoE DPS and Off-tank
    Captain-Melee Single Target Support DPS/Healing(Support)/Tank(Cappy is no longer off-tank)
    Guardian-Single Target Melee DPS/Tank
    Hunter-Ranged DPS/Debuff
    Lore-master-DPS/Support/Debuff
    Minstrel-AoE DPS/Single-Target DPS/Healing
    Rune-keeper-DoT DPS/Single Target DPS/AoE DPS/Healer
    Warden-Tank/DoT DPS/Ranged DPS/Melee DPS
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Which class is the best for making it to the higher levels? The Warden sounds like he'd be the one.

Which class is the best for making it to the higher levels? The Warden sounds like he'd be the one.
    Every class solos effectively and can make it to high levels. DPS classes tend to level faster merely because they kill more quickly.

Warden is a great class but difficult to play since you essentially need to memorize the Gambits to be most effective. Runekeeper and Warden are premium classes and need to be unlocked before you can make one. So if you are trying out the game, choose from the 7 standard classes until you know if you want to invest.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Then which class would you recommend?

Then which class would you recommend?

Well, what are your preferences other than mages because I see no class that fits that description. Any class can make it to higher levels.
    Riddermark Freeps and Creeps: Morgunith, LM/Hadellost, Burglar/Nukzat, Reaver Rank 6
    Meneldor Freeps and Creeps: Cambanod, Cpt

I have played a tank before I do prefer mages but since there aren't any. What would the next recommendation be, outside of a mage, for a new player to start off with? What can an elf play?

Well what I would recommend is maybe Champion or Hunter as those classes are usually recommended for new players. An Elf can play a Guardian, Loremaster, Minstrel, Runekeeper, Warden, Champion and Hunter.
    Riddermark Freeps and Creeps: Morgunith, LM/Hadellost, Burglar/Nukzat, Reaver Rank 6
    Meneldor Freeps and Creeps: Cambanod, Cpt

I have played a tank before I do prefer mages but since there aren't any. What would the next recommendation be, outside of a mage, for a new player to start off with? What can an elf play?
    Elf:
    Guardian
    Hunter
    Warden
    Champion
    Runekeeper
    Lore-master(Probably as close to a mage as you will get)
    Minstrel

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Closest thing to mage is probably Loremaster. Minstrel also is a ranged tactical class, which might make a fairly good matchup for mage classes in other games.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Astarte
    Closest thing to mage is probably Loremaster. Minstrel also is a ranged tactical class, which might make a fairly good matchup for mage classes in other games.
    Personally I disagree with the lore master-to-mage comparison. I think rune keepers are closer to being mages,
    though I don't look at it from a lore perspective. Lore is fine and all, but I play more for the classes and such.

Ranged magic dps, glass cannons, no pets, and situational survival cooldowns. Plus LM pets are so OP right now
    it takes a lot of the fun out of playing them. They're being nerfed at the end of the month or thereabout, I know.

As for which class, I would honestly go with champion. I found hunters to be incredibly boring to play. My first
    choice will always be wardens, but you need to either spend a lot of Turbine Points to unlock it, or buy an
    expansion. Neither of which are recommended until you know whether you like the game that much or not.

Edit: Total brain fart there. RK's premium too. Of the standard classes, I guess LM would be the closest
    comparison, yeah. Oops.

I think I'll try out a Champion as my first toon then investigate the others later.

What is best server to PvE solo on?
    Greetings Garren,

All servers are pretty much the same as far as PvE content. If you're looking for a server that's not so crowded but has a good community, try Imladris.

What class is best for soloing with?
    I would roll a Lore Master if I were you. They are, as far as for me, the best and most fun class to play. Captain a close second.

Can I solo in this game?
    Oh yes. This game is the best solo experience you will find on the internet, hands down. An awesome experience.

What sites can I do some read on LOTRO?
    There are many fansites and resources sites for this game. 2 of them I would recommend is...

http://lotro-wiki.com/

http://lotroplayers.mymiddleearth.com/

Have fun.
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by Linathrial View Post

I would roll a Lore Master if I were you. They are, as far as for me, the best and most fun class to play. Captain a close second.
    I think it's the other way around.

If you can get past the idea that you're fighting using MUSIC instead of magic, I think Minstrel has a playstyle more like most games think of Mages of the 7 base classes. Understand that magic isn't a big flashy thing in Middle Earth, more like understanding and using the right names for stuff.

It's not a good idea to try to carry your assumptions about classes and class design from other games to LotRO. Doing that makes you assume a lot of things that just aren't true here. Keep an open mind, watch the class videos on the character creation screen, and pick a class that appeals to you.

I never played an EQ 2 mage, but the LM is very similar to a cross between the Enchanter and Mage from Original EQ. The Runekeeper is much more like a wizard without ports in either game, with healing thrown in. Oddly enough, the Hunter is the closest thing to a real EQ wizard.

In EQ2 I'm playing a conjuror. I love the character but EQ2 wasn't really made for soloing so it does make it more difficult to play. The players are some of the best I've ran into but they tell me the only way I'll make to the highest levels is if I molo or join a group. I really don't want to join a group because I like to take my time and see everything. Most, to me, just seem to want to rush through till they are at the end. I feel that the journey is just as important as getting to the end. BTW what happens when a toon gets killed? In EQ2 you're given a list of safe places to go to and you are penalized by damage to the equipment have. If the equipment isn't mended after so many damage penalties it becomes useless.

I feel that the journey is just as important as getting to the end.
    I think you'll find a lot of like-minded people in LotRO. I hope you enjoy it!

BTW what happens when a toon gets killed? In EQ2 you're given a list of safe places to go to and you are penalized by damage to the equipment have. If the equipment isn't mended after so many damage penalties it becomes useless.
    After level 10, you will suffer item wear after every defeat, except those by misadventure. Your equipment can also accumulate wear as you get hit. If it gets too much wear, it will be "broken" and cease to provide its benefits. You can repair your armor at most NPCs that will buy your junk items. Get into the habit of repairing everything whenever you are over there selling off your junk. Even if an item is "broken" you can still pay to repair it and it will be good as new.

When you are "defeated", your avatar with kneel down and you won't be able to get it to do anything. Other players who are high enough level (and the right class) can "revive" you while you are in that state. You'll take item wear but you'll soon be back to full fighting form. If no one revives you, you can "retreat", which means you're transported to the nearest retreat circle to your position. (You can revive in place but that's on a cooldown. You can purchase a revival while on cooldown using Mithril Coins. That type of revival is just like when a player revives you.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    I think you'll find a lot of like-minded people in LotRO. I hope you enjoy it!

After level 10, you will suffer item wear after every defeat, except those by misadventure. Your equipment can also accumulate wear as you get hit. If it gets too much wear, it will be "broken" and cease to provide its benefits. You can repair your armor at most NPCs that will buy your junk items. Get into the habit of repairing everything whenever you are over there selling off your junk. Even if an item is "broken" you can still pay to repair it and it will be good as new.

When you are "defeated", your avatar with kneel down and you won't be able to get it to do anything. Other players who are high enough level (and the right class) can "revive" you while you are in that state. You'll take item wear but you'll soon be back to full fighting form. If no one revives you, you can "retreat", which means you're transported to the nearest retreat circle to your position. (You can revive in place but that's on a cooldown. You can purchase a revival while on cooldown using Mithril Coins. That type of revival is just like when a player revives you.)

This really sounds like a cool game. Any recommendations when it comes to upgrading to a paying player?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast