We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is the elf port to Rivendell really -that- useful?

I've heard a lot of people saying it's the "superior" racial port, but I can't see how useful it can be since one could just ride (or walk, it's not that bad) to Rivendell and set the home point for there. I mean, the other races get ports to their respective homes too. So it doesn't seem like it's that huge of an advantage in the first place, superfluous at best. The only practical use I can see for it is for Elf scholars who want to join the Scholar's guild early.

Thoughts?

I am guessing you have not progressed far enough in the Epic books where you need to constantly run back and speak to Elrond

I have been at that point before with my burglar, but I just set my home point at Rivendell and called it good. I guess what my question is why the Elf port is considered "superior" since everyone eventually has enough ports to make Rivendell their home point. Like for Men, they get a port to Bree, so they can set their natural port to Rivendell. Know what I mean?

Can't say that I've heard it called that before. But when I want to travel to Rivendale I'll use my Ost Guruth map and swift horse there. Frees up a racial trait slot.

Rivendell is a travel hub with fast travel to many major destinations. The racial port can greatly reduce travel times and excellent for scholars.

The stable has swift travel to Forochel, Eregion, Misty Mts, Esteldin, Lone Lands, etc. My elf has earned a rep port to Bree and has his house at Thorin's so except for the Shire that's the whole racial deck. Bree get's used socially for access to the Pony. To get business done, craft mats farming, regional quests or deeds, it's all about Rivendell.

It's a great port. Seeing as only Elves, Hunters and Wardens get the port and the Dwarf port is literally in a starter zone, it's great. Bree is also a great port because it has connections to all of the major airports as does Michel delving. Riv is perfect for scholars and people on the epic line. Celondim would seem to make sense but it has no superior crafting and is rather disjointed from the rest of Eriador. So, yes, Riv is a superior port in that it takes you to a higher level zone. Thorin's has the bonus of Metal/Weaponsmith crafting so I would consider that second despite being in a start zone. Bree's advantage lies in that it is a hub to almost anywhere.

TBH I think they did Elves a disservice in this game. being a fan of the books, they really over-gimped the Elves in trying to make them playable. Bah, it's an old discussion ... long story short. Riv is a great port. superior forge, superior study, Auction Hall, Skirm camp, Epic storyline tie in, and QT to many zones.

The racial port to Rivendell also puts you closer to the stables than the milestone does. It's not a huge deal, but it's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bifrons View Post
    I've heard a lot of people saying it's the "superior" racial port, but I can't see how useful it can be since one could just ride (or walk, it's not that bad) to Rivendell and set the home point for there. I mean, the other races get ports to their respective homes too. So it doesn't seem like it's that huge of an advantage in the first place, superfluous at best. The only practical use I can see for it is for Elf scholars who want to join the Scholar's guild early.

Thoughts?
    Way back in Shadows of Angmar days, Rivendell was as far east as you could go, and was the nearest racial port to the "endgame" regions of Angmar and the Ettenmoors. The locations to which one could port often had stablemasters that offered the widest variety of destinations. Thorin's Gate, Bree, and Michel Delving were too far from Angmar or the Ettenmoors to have a direct ride, but Rivendell had both. So at one time, yes, Rivendell was the most useful racial port.

But things have changed. What constitutes a "convenient port" is not about travel or location anymore. In Shadows of Angmar days, one had to actually travel to an instance to enter the instance. (I miss that.) Being conveniently close to the endgame zones was a major benefit, and the fact that Rivendell had all the Shadows-of-Angmar-era vendors was a bonus. However, the world has roughly tripled in size since Shadows of Angmar days. The shape of the world has changed. Rather than a roughly straight line from western Ered Luin to eastern Rivendell, there multiple branches to the world. Instance-Join has nearly eliminated the need to actually visit an instance to enter it. New players are reaching the endgame not ever knowing the glory of Fornost, or of Ost Elendil. Some don't even know how to get there, or even where Fornost and Ost Elendil are located in the world.

These days, what constitutes a "convenient port" is one where there are the most vendors/traders accessible within a short run. New vendors have been added to the game since Shadows of Angmar; Rivendell is not a place where you can find all vendors in one convenient location, as in Galtrev or Caras Galadhon. Certainly, Rivendell has all the important vendors for the Shadows of Angmar era, but vendors like Forge-masters, Relic-masters, and skirmish traders were added later, and not necessarily in the most convenient places. I'm not even sure if Rivendell has a Relic-master at all. (When Mines of Moria released, Rivendell got a Forge-master, but not a Relic-master.)

So with respect to racial ports, none are much more useful than any others after reaching level 50. Instead, one's milestone home is of most importance. It is advantageous to set your milestone to a place where there are lots of vendors within easy reach, and yet the stable-master has a fairly wide variety of destinations. Galtrev is possibly the best place to set your home, if you're interested in vendors. Every vendor is there, including all guild and skirmish traders. Caras Galadhon is a close second, if you are more interested in being anywhere in the world very quickly. CG does not have guild traders, and the skirmish traders are a fairly long horse ride away. However, CG has swift travel to all major hubs in the world, with the exception of most of the old Shadows of Angmar hubs. Instead, CG has swift travel to Rivendell, which in turn has swift travel to most of the Shadows of Angmar hubs. Galtrev has a good selection of swift travel, but does not include places like Moria, Mirkwood, or Stangard (correct me, if I'm wrong). CG has all the Mines of Moria vendors, and if you're a group raider, these are the most important ones (class trainers, crafting area, Relic- and Forge-masters, Auction Hall, Vault, etc.) Once you get your Skirmish soldier and your crafting guild status finalized, these are traders that you won't visit very often, so you won't miss them much.

I found it useful to set my home milestone to CG for quick vendor access, and then I purchased an extra milestone destination to use while I'm running around leveling. Currently, my second milestone is set to the Ox-Clan camp in Isengard. There is no other travel to that camp, so I may need to purchase a third milestone so that I can romp around Rohan, although since I've already gleaned any rewards I wanted from the Ox-Clan camp, I may just ditch it.
    [CENTER]While you burn at the stake, I dance with the flames. I take what you love and leave you in tears. I am relentless, unpredictable, and waiting for your last breath.
    [/CENTER]

I still find it useful being a scholar. Yes I suppose I could to Galtrev but I'm an elf so I will always like the look feel and sound of Imladris best. And since I get get pretty much anywhere else from there with ease I will continue to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meluihel View Post
    I still find it useful being a scholar. Yes I suppose I could to Galtrev but I'm an elf so I will always like the look feel and sound of Imladris best. And since I get get pretty much anywhere else from there with ease I will continue to use it.
    I've found exceedingly easy to just port to the Lone Lands and take the fast route. The only mild annoyance is that the stables are much further from the LHH than the port spot.

This port is probably only superior in that it cannot be duplicated with a rep skill. But then again, neither can the Hobbit port.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    I've found exceedingly easy to just port to the Lone Lands and take the fast route. The only mild annoyance is that the stables are much further from the LHH than the port spot.

This port is probably only superior in that it cannot be duplicated with a rep skill. But then again, neither can the Hobbit port.
    Being a Minstrel I have no port to the Lone-Lands. So it is simply easier to port right to Rivendel itself. I know its a quiet place now but I don't mind that. I can craft in peace, and I've always loved Elrond's Library. Now and then I get to pick up the occasional bit of RP too which is a great bonus.

Lol! This thread is back from the dead.

Now and then I get to pick up the occasional bit of RP too which is a great bonus.
    I met at least one good friend and joined my first Kinship while role-playing in Imladris. I'd love to see all of the Trollshaws receive the zone refurb it's long deserved but that seems unlikely these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Anavalar View Post
    I met at least one good friend and joined my first Kinship while role-playing in Imladris. I'd love to see all of the Trollshaws receive the zone refurb it's long deserved but that seems unlikely these days.
    I would love to see that too. The Trollshaws has always been a good zone, at least visually. And I would love to find more RP in Imladris as well, or a good kin bassed there.

Being a Minstrel I have no port to the Lone-Lands. So it is simply easier to port right to Rivendel itself. I know its a quiet place now but I don't mind that. I can craft in peace, and I've always loved Elrond's Library. Now and then I get to pick up the occasional bit of RP too which is a great bonus.
    Everyone has a port to the Lone Lands (a.k.a. "Return to Ost Guruth"). It's gated behind the max level of Eglain reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezmer View Post
    Everyone has a port to the Lone Lands (a.k.a. "Return to Ost Guruth"). It's gated behind the max level of Eglain reputation.
    True. I meant rather that I have never bothered to finish getting rep with them so I do not have the skill.

True. I meant rather that I have never bothered to finish getting rep with them so I do not have the skill.
    That's a shame. I find their kinship horse to be the most attractive in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brom_Ironfist View Post
    That's a shame. I find their kinship horse to be the most attractive in the game.
    My human characters do the Eglain rep grind for the port but my elves go for the Rivendell port (and both offer an access to Eastern Eregion horse stables).

The Rivendell grind seems easier as both Trollshaws wights and Helegrod Angmarim drop 700 rep point items.

Quote Originally Posted by Brom_Ironfist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anavalar View Post
    My human characters do the Eglain rep grind for the port but my elves go for the Rivendell port (and both offer an access to Eastern Eregion horse stables).

The Rivendell grind seems easier as both Trollshaws wights and Helegrod Angmarim drop 700 rep point items.
    I agree their horse does look nice. But as Anavalar said with an elf I tend to skip the Lone-Lands and move into the North Downs from Breeland. I am leveling a human though and so I'm working on the Eglain rep with her. Elves I prefer other horses.

I find the Rivendell port slightly better than the Bree port, mainly since a return to Bree is quite readily available with super-low level area reputation. Thorin's Hall, while nice, is nowhere near as attractive to me.

(By the way, wouldn't it be Very nice if Archet could have a little stable...)

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    I find the Rivendell port slightly better than the Bree port, mainly since a return to Bree is quite readily available with super-low level area reputation. Thorin's Hall, while nice, is nowhere near as attractive to me.

(By the way, wouldn't it be Very nice if Archet could have a little stable...)
    I think a little stable in Archet would be great. I know there is not much there but some people do like rping in the area now and then. And I agree with your reasoning behind the other rep ports too. Imladris is still one of the more useful port skills.

Before lvl30 yes, after no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kira_kun View Post
    Definitely. It is pretty trivial to earn the teleport well before you actually need to go to Rivendell as an Elf, and if you're lucky, you'll get it about the time your Scholar needs to head out and unlock the gold anvil for Expert level. Even more useful if you choose to perform the bare minimum Trollshaws plot line before moving on to Evendim: you can keep your Milestone set someplace more useful.

Of course, my most-used teleport these days is Laila's Market: out the door, across the square, and BAM, Three Farrows Crafting, with all the amenities in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kira_kun View Post
    Yes and no. You do not get the skill until level 29, at least that is when the kill unlocks. You cannot fast travel to Rivendell until 40. Maybe after that it becomes a little less useful. Though I still like it when working on the epix books, especially book 5 and then again later when you're taveling all over Eriador/

Quote Originally Posted by Seschat View Post
    Definitely. It is pretty trivial to earn the teleport well before you actually need to go to Rivendell as an Elf, and if you're lucky, you'll get it about the time your Scholar needs to head out and unlock the gold anvil for Expert level. Even more useful if you choose to perform the bare minimum Trollshaws plot line before moving on to Evendim: you can keep your Milestone set someplace more useful.

Of course, my most-used teleport these days is Laila's Market: out the door, across the square, and BAM, Three Farrows Crafting, with all the amenities in one place.
    That is true. Now that they have added the superior crafting facilities, along with a vault and AH, to the Bree crafting hall it is a great spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Seschat View Post

Yes and no. You do not get the skill until level 29, at least that is when the kill unlocks. You cannot fast travel to Rivendell until 40. Maybe after that it becomes a little less useful. Though I still like it when working on the epic books, especially book 5 and then again later when you're taveling all over Eriador/

That is true. Now that they have added the superior crafting facilities, along with a vault and AH, to the Bree crafting hall it is a great spot.
    Well, you can get expert by lvl30. And there is an auto-port to Rivendell while doing some quest before lvl30 iirc, which is when milestone should be set to Rivendell.

As an elf that is not a hunter or warden, its useful if you do not want to waste a milestone slot on Rivendell. Besides, its not like you will port to Rivendell much once MM, Trollshaws and Epic quests are completed. Unless you're a scholar of course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast