We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Jumping, moving, strafing while chatting... what am I doing wrong?

Hello, everyone. I'm a fast typist (who admittedly backspaces and revises quite often mid-sentence), and when I'm using the chat dialog box, my character will occasionally jump, strafe, move forward or backward, etc.

Obviously what's happening is that I'm somehow inadvertently switching from the chat dialog box to the main screen by typing some keystroke combination that I'm unaware does this. (I checked the key combination options, and nothing jumped out at me about switching from dialog box to main screen (I always do it with the mouse).) Or maybe it's just an unfortunate glitch. Any suggestions?

You hit the Return key. Cursor moves from chat box to screen and vice versa whenever you hit return.

You're a fast typist like me. Type a message, hit return automatically, now cursor has moved to screen and many of the keystrokes for my next sentence open windows, make me jump around, etc.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Thanks - that makes sense and explains a lot. I'll be careful to pay attention to when I hit 'return' and not type like a maniac until I've moused back over to where I'm supposed to be.

I had this thrice yesterday and never ever before.

I suspect it's due to game lags, can't see any other alternative: I wasn't typing faster or slower than I use to but I did get inventory pop up once (I), game thought I'd moved backwards once (S) and forward once (W).

I've had this happen since the game went live. Always because I'm typing fast or I forget where the cursor is and try to type a message when the cursor is on the screen. I haven't noticed any significant difference when I'm also having lag problems.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com