We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

LI's whilst levelling

Hi there

I've recently returned to the game seriously (actually have a lifetime sub from some year ago) and finally got to my 50s which means Moria and LIs. The LI I got at 50 is now maxed and I'm starting to feel maybe the DPS is a little low.

I suppose my question is, is it really worth investing the time in LI's while levelling, or should I just use "whatever" I come across and worry about LIs at 95?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Draygan View Post
    I've recently returned to the game seriously (actually have a lifetime sub from some year ago) and finally got to my 50s which means Moria and LIs. The LI I got at 50 is now maxed and I'm starting to feel maybe the DPS is a little low.
    Just want to point out that it's strongly advised that players get their LI's at lvl 45. Don't wait until 50.
    I suppose my question is, is it really worth investing the time in LI's while levelling, or should I just use "whatever" I come across and worry about LIs at 95?
    I'd say you shouldn't go any more than 5 levels without upgrading your LI. In Moria, there are Dwarf Tools and Tablets that can be bartered for any LI lvl 53, 55, 57 or 59.
    So, you should easily be able to upgrade your LI every few levels.

After Moria, there are some LI barterers, but they will mostly come from Humanoid mobs.

Also, you should always have all your Legendary Item slots filled with LI's. The 2 (or 3, when your get your Bridle) you equip, and the rest for trash LI's to be farmed and deconned for relics. The more LI's you have gaining ixp, the more total ixp you gain per kill or quest reward.

But, you shouldn't put much investment into any LI until you get to the level cap and work on building up your Second or (when they're introduced) First age Legendary Items.

So are you saying that a LI that I've levelled (bt not actually used) gives better results when decontructed than one I've only identified?

Yes. The amount of relics given is dependent on level of the LI when deconned. Deconning an LI that you merely identify will only give you a single tier 1 relics.

Personally, from lvl 53, when you can start bartering the Rusty Tools for LI's, I make sure to have the empty LI slots fill.
    With LI's of a minimum level of 51-75, I leveled them up to 31, then deconned them. You should get a few tier 4 relics, some tier 3, a bunch of tier 2 and 1.
    With LI's of a minimum level of 76+, I leveled them up to 60, then deconned them. You should get a few tier 7 relics, some tier 6, and a bunch of tier 5.

Not to mention, you also get ixp runes with the decon. And, when you decon an LI that's level 30+, you get to extract a legacy to put onto another LI.

ok great, thanks. I cannot believe how many LI's I've deconned in the last 7 levels right after ID'ing them!

The initial Li should be replaced very soon as it has certain special properties, including a reduced max level of 40 compared to the usual 60, so you can't actually max it like regular LIs. Generally during your 50s and 60s you should replace your LI weapon (class item is usually less relevant in this phase) whenever a new stock LI has a higher dps rating than your current levelled LI (with DPS upgrades). During this phase I'd recommend to NOT fill all your LI slots with trash LIs, as the amount of IXP you get at lower levels is very small and each slotted LI will slow down levelling of your main LIs significantly, so I'd limit it to 1-2 trash LIs at this point. Later when you get to Isengard and Rohan it's much easier to get IXP so then you can easily fill all LI slots without any significant drawbacks.
    Note if you can get second or first age items (esp. class items) it might be worth sticking with those a bit longer than usual (e.g. a 75 SA weapon is good enough to keep until 85).
    Last edited by Grimdi; Jan 17 2014 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    Note if you can get second or first age items (esp. class items) it might be worth sticking with those a bit longer than usual (e.g. a 75 SA weapon is good enough to keep until 85).
    This has long been the conventional wisdom, but the data show otherwise.

As you can see from the chart in this thread, LI dps increases substantially between equip levels, and especially with the new LIs after a former level-cap (a level 86 Third Age out-dpses a level 85 First Age by 20%).

The author concludes that while leveling, the best practice is to switch to a new Third Age LI every level.

His analysis disregards* the extra DPS from legacies other than TDR/SU or the extra legacy points of a Second or First Age LI. However, the DPS increase is substantial enough that even without more detailed analysis, you can see that LIs should be swapped out more frequently than every 5 levels, and that a Second or First Age is definitely not worth sticking with from one former level cap to the next.

*On the assumption that while leveling, you never get your LI above XP-level 25.
    Last edited by Inkling; Jan 20 2014 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
    This has long been the conventional wisdom, but the data shows otherwise.

As you can see from the chart in this thread, LI dps increases substantially between levels, and especially with the new LIs after a former level-cap (a level 86 Third Age out-dpses a level 85 First Age by 20%).

The author concludes that while leveling, the best practice is to switch to a new 3rd Age LI every level.

His analysis does not account for the extra DPS from legacies other than TDR/SU or the extra legacy points of a Second or First Age LI. However, the DPS increase is substantial enough that even without more detailed analysis, you can see that LIs should be swapped out more frequently than every 5 levels, and that Second or First Age is definitely not worth sticking with from one former level cap to the next.
    Just to add, the dps curve from 85 to 90 seems even higher. Although I have not detailed the maths.

I do keep my second age heal books though, until the next one is available:the dps is irrelevant, the extra points nice, and avoiding the grind to re-max the legacies there-on, make this worthwhile in my opinion. Does this make sense or am i overlooking something?