We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How exactly does Swift Travel and the stables work?

I'm VIP and I don't understand the stables. I can't buy a trip without Mithril Coins and I'm not buying Mithril Coins. But since I did have a few of them that had apparently been converted from something else, I bought a ride to Esteldin to get one of my alts up there for the crafting thing. I thought that surely once you'd bought a route with Mithril, the route was known and you could buy it for coin. But apparently not. It's still asking me for Mithril and the coins are greyed out.

How exactly do you get a route to known status? I'm very frustrated with this. Tending to rely upon milestones and questing to get 'Return to...' skills at this point.

You need to speak with the stable master at the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame2 View Post
    It's still asking me for Mithril and the coins are greyed out.
    Are you certain you have enough money in inventory to pay for the trip with coin? You would be amazed how many times players bug that travel routes don't work, and it turns out they simply didn't have the money to pay for them.

Some swift travel routes have level or reputation restrictions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamrothdame2 View Post
    I'm VIP and I don't understand the stables. I can't buy a trip without Mithril Coins and I'm not buying Mithril Coins. But since I did have a few of them that had apparently been converted from something else, I bought a ride to Esteldin to get one of my alts up there for the crafting thing. I thought that surely once you'd bought a route with Mithril, the route was known and you could buy it for coin. But apparently not. It's still asking me for Mithril and the coins are greyed out.

How exactly do you get a route to known status? I'm very frustrated with this. Tending to rely upon milestones and questing to get 'Return to...' skills at this point.
    Before you can use slow or swift stable travel, you have to "talk" (right click) to the stablemaster at each end. The only exceptions to this are the beginner swift travel between Bree, Michel Delving, Celondim, Thorin's, and Combe. You still want to talk to those stablemasters in order to use them for other routes.

When you went to Esteldin, you must not have clicked on the stablemaster, so you still don't have access to that end. Need to do it again, I'm afraid.

Also, as others have mentioned, some of the routes are gated by minimum level or by quest completion (Eregion stables). Have to meet the minimum as well as click on the stablemasters to use them.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

If the diamond over the stablemasters head is bluish

You need to talk to them in order to access the route.

Once you have done that the diamond is brown.
    LilyRose of Gladden, Mistress of the Rangers of the West Kinship. Come check out our kin at rangerswest.guildlaunch.com.

If you click on the unavailable route in the travel page and hover your mouse over the greyed-out travel button, it should tell you the reason why you can't access it. This works for skirmishes, barterers, and other things too.

Thanks for all the help! I'll try speaking to the stable master and see what happens. Money shouldn't have been an issue-my cappy had almost 20 GP at the time. Level might have been-though he was 27th and should have been able to go to Esteldin in any event.

There are all kinds of possible restrictions.

For example, swift travel to Esteldin from West Bree requires:
    1) You have enough coin to pay for the cost of the trip
    2) You must have talked to the Esteldin stable master
    3) Your character must be level 30 or higher. I ran into this restriction with my level 25 Warden. I ended up taking the slow route to Trestlebridge. The slow route from Trestlebridge to Esteldin.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

I didn't talk to the Esteldin stable-master, I think that was the problem. He's high enough level to get up there on his own now, so I'll start chatting the hostlers up. I'd really like to be able to use the system.

Thanks for the help!