We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tried WoW, it's your turn now LotRO!

Hello there everyone, pleased to be here and let me say that I've heard quite a few things about this one that made up my mind on trying it.

Before I do that though, I'd like to ask a few newb questions and hopefully steal some of your time to answer them.

First, I know this one is subscription based but the model is kinda different from WoW, meaning that I heard that when your subscription runs out, you can still get into the game and have the subscription features such as bags or traits or some other stuff I can't recall. Can some subscriber explain?

Two, PvP is important to me in lower-levels. Now, I left WoW forever because of these so called "herilooms". If you're not familiar with the scenario, let me break it down to you in a few but simple words
    - You're a level 14 Fury spec Warrior. Your class, as the lore stands, is supposed to be unmatched in melee and quickly bring down those undefended as you swing your mighty dual-wielded weapons. Well you got about 700 HP and the healer you're targeting, a priest, has got about 2700 HP. Now that's what happens when you're new in WoW and that doesn't change until you hit the end-game.
    To summarize question two, are similiar items like heirlooms present in LotRO to give advantage to seasoned players leveling alternates over newcomers?

Three and my favorite. How's the lore fellas? In WoW there's this constantly evolving lore that keeps changing the zones throughout expansions and patches that gives a feeling like your deeds in the game don't simply go unnoticed after you leave the area. A simple scenario for comparison.
    - The first group quest in human questline takes you hunting a troublemaker gnoll known as Hogger (lv10). When you get there, a paladin and three mages show up to stop you from executing the damned thing, taking him to Stormwind Stockade (prison). When you hit level 20, Stormwind Stockade is open as a lv20-30 dungeon and you can see there that Hogger is part of the riot and the Warden tells you, that now it's the time to finish that job, because the beast can't be held, even in the prison.
    To summarize question three, is there a continuous lore or it is the same "go kill those pesky lads because I don't like the look on their faces".

Last one. From the experienced MMORPG'ers, I'd like an honest truth.

How's the grinding?

Thank you for your time.
    inb4 "TL DR"
    inb4 "omg n00b get a lyf"

Quote Originally Posted by Joradin View Post
    Two, PvP is important to me in lower-levels.
    LOTRO is not a pvp game.

There is a "player vs. monster" game, but it's a single zone and the monster classes are different than the player classes. It's also only at the level cap. It's not pvp in the sense that you are used to.

First, I know this one is subscription based but the model is kinda different from WoW, meaning that I heard that when your subscription runs out, you can still get into the game and have the subscription features such as bags or traits or some other stuff I can't recall. Can some subscriber explain?
    For a F2P, you're capped at holding 2 gold (any excess is held in escrow), 3 bags, 2 race and virtue trait slots, no class tree tier bonuses.
    However, when you log onto a character while VIP, the gold cap is permanently removed for that character, they have their 4th and 5th bags available, all trait slots and tier bonuses are unlocked, as well as having access to swift travel option between stable masters.

Of course, being VIP also rents access to all non-expansion content areas (lvl 30-50, 60, 60-65, 70-75, 85). Though, everyone has to specifically get access to the expansion areas (Moria 50-60, Mirkwood 60-65, Isengard 65-75, east Rohan 75-85 and west Rohan 85-95) if they want to quest there.

Keep in mind, that LotRO can alternatively be bought piecemeal as opposed to subscribing. Any zone you buy access to, as well as any expansion, you will have permanent access to on all characters, all servers on that account. And, you earn currency (Turbine Points) to buy that content by simply playing the game.

Two, PvP is important to me in lower-levels.
    As stated above, LotRO is no a big PvP game. There's sparring and PvMP, but nothing else. The game is focused on the PvE experience.
    Three and my favorite. How's the lore fellas?
    That depends... Are you looking for lore based off of Tolkien's beautiful works, or the hollow and vapid interpretation Peter Jackson vomited on screen?
    If the former, then you're in luck. LotRO is actually based off of LotR.
    How's the grinding?
    That depends...

You can grind for exp, through you get way more exp by questing.
    You can grind for deeds, for either virtues, racial traits, or just TP.
    You can grind for reputation.
    You can grind for gear.

Either way you look at it, grinding is still a grind.

There is a lot of Turbine Points to be gathered while questing through the game here. You can use them for buying game fluff (sorry, I mean Conveniences) such as shared inventory or an upgraded wallet that will hold a lot of different annoying tokens for barter or deco slots (you have some additional space to place stylish-looking gear of any level just for looks and can buy wardrobe space for these itmes too) or extra bags or or or.

You can also buy the basic game areas for these TP.

This means in theory you can buy all the game content slowly using only TP gained through playing the game. That is the free-to-play version of the game.

You can also rent the different areas with a subscription but you will still have to buy some old expansions. Check the various threads here on forums on the subject. No need to dish out a bunch of cash immediately if you decide to drop the game fast.

With the F2P thing there's even no need to buy anything at all until you checked the game out up to lvl 30 or so (cap is 95). Some of the basic areas are completely free.

There is no PVP at low level at all. You can spar I guess (like a friendly match, no impact on the game in any sense) or you can play Creep-side. They play on a separate map and subscribed Freeps (the player characters, the free peoples of middle earth) can go there to PVP in an own little sandbox to their heart's content. However it's not PC vs PC, it's Creep vs Freep and often in raids. Once you have a start character to lvl 10, you can create a creep-side alt and try it out. As a beginner it will be hard I guess but that's always so =) As you rank up, things become easier. So yeah, after lv10 you can roll a Creep and try it out!

The only real problem a beginner ex-wow has in the game is usually a cultural clash. It can be irritating to get temp banned 3 days right at start because you were rude to others. I mean it! It is not a small issue.

Thank you for your quick answers. I really appreciate them.

So...

First off, I need to subscribe to remove gold caps, get bags, traits and trade and all the other stuff I don't know about off, right?

Then after lv30, some zones are unlocked to me because of my subscription time but the expansion ones aren't, therefore I need to buy them to access the quests, dungeons and respective raids.

Did I get it right?

If I did, can someone point me to a thread regarding all the necessary steps to have a full experience throughout the game?

Also, still looking forward to a reply regarding the "heirlooms" issue.

As a WoW player myself, I can tell you that there are no heirlooms. There is some BoA stuff, yes,
    such as the universal toolkit, but no proper heirlooms.

As for the necessary steps.. the game is free until you complete Lone-Lands. After that, you'll either
    need to grind skirmishes (unlocked at level 20) or start buying expansions and/or quest packs.

The Shire/Ered Luin/Bree-land are your starter zones, and they'll get you to 20ish. Lone-Lands will
    get you to 30ish. Evendim (TP or VIP) is a good choice for the 40s, then Forochel and Eregion to
    get you to 50. After that comes the Mines of Moria expansion.

Note about Moria.. if you don't care about the classes and instances that come with it, you can
    simply buy the expansion quest pack. Same goes for the other expansions (though Moria is the only
    one that comes with extra classes).

After Moria/Lothlorien came (for me) Enedwaith and then Dunland, then Rohan, and finally Helm's
    Deep, though I am still on the fence about HD. Hearing a lot of bad stuff about it, and not sure I
    want to waste $40/4.2k TP on it.

You don't need to subscribe for a month, but honestly the perks are worth the $15 for one
    month of VIP. Gold cap removed, free access to all non-expansion zones, tree perks unlocked,
    virtue slots unlocked, etc. Plus riding for free at level 20 if you do a timed quest, which is easy as
    hell. I just did it 11 times and saved myself ~1040 TP. When you cancel your subscription, you'll
    drop back down to Premium, losing access to zones you haven't purchased and two character
    slots. Everything else stays unlocked, but keep in mind you have to log in on every character you
    want to have the VIP perks. They're not automatically granted just because you made a character.

Honestly, though, if you managed to get to a semi-high level in WoW, the way you quest in this
    game is going to likely be very frustrating. Up until level 50 (Moria), the quests are (imo) tedious
    and very poorly laid out, often involving far more running around than is necessary. Once you hit
    Moria, though, the quests are much better laid out and flow better provided you're not like me
    and get lost all the time.

In the end, though, I would simply play the game for a few weeks until you make up your mind
    whether you like it enough to drop cash on it.

Edit: Instead of spending rl cash, you can also reserve 1 character slot to farm TP with. Create a
    champion/hunter/high dps class and do the explorer/slayer/quest deeds in Shire/EL/Bree, then
    delete it and start over. Handful of hours of work for ~200-400 TP, depending on the number of
    deeds you complete.
    Last edited by scithen; Jan 14 2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: clarification

this should cover most questions.

https://www.lotro.com/en/forums/show...Your-Questions

You have already had some good answers. It won't hurt to make a few things a bit more clear.

Unfortunatly PvP it's an afterthought in this game, Turbine has never devoted much time to it and never will. It's also a purely endgame activity and very limited in low population servers. PvE it's almost entirely focused on the solo landscape experience, group content has been very lacking lately in terms of difficulty and popularity and almost non existant at non-level cap. They have made it very clear that the game now cathers to solo casual players. The quests are of the kill-ten-rats / talk-to-that-guy kind, and very linear in the last zones.

For better or worse this game offers a VASTLY different experience from that of WoW. You can still try the game to lvl30 with almost no limitations. I'd suggest a big server like Brandiwine who can provide the most WoW-like experience.

Two, PvP is important to me in lower-levels. Now, I left WoW forever because of these so called "herilooms". If you're not familiar with the scenario, let me break it down to you in a few but simple words
    Three and my favorite. How's the lore fellas? In WoW there's this constantly evolving lore that keeps changing the zones throughout expansions and patches that gives a feeling like your
    Last one. From the experienced MMORPG'ers, I'd like an honest truth. How's the grinding?
    Here's an honest answer from another point of view, in case you find it helpful.

The strength of LOTRO, in my humble opinion, is not PvP or even standard character progression. It's in the main storyline and the social activities to be found in the game.

The storyline really makes you feel involved in the main plot. It reveals things that happen "behind the scenes". It also makes you feel that the heroes of the movies wouldn't have succeeded if you weren't out there supporting them, doing your part. Some of the stories of the epic questline are gripping. I found myself having quite a bit of "emotional investment", to the point where the quest reward didn't really matter.

The social activities in this game are, in my experience, unparalleled.

First, we have a music system where you can use ABC notation to play music in the game. Players can also perform together as groups, synced so that they sound good together despite any lag. This is a direct form of player contribution to the content of the game. Concerts are quite popular. The annual Weatherstock competitive band event (like Woodstock but at Weathertop) has a turn-out of several hundred people.

Next, there are countless roleplay opportunities at different levels of lore expertise and immersion. The game world is vast and full of interesting and useful roleplay areas. We also have player housing that we can use to enhance our roleplay. Some kins (guilds) buy entire neighborhoods, decorate them with a theme, and hold big events there.

There are numerous player-run contests. I can't list all the types here, but just for a sample - drinking, trivia, foot race, horse race, fashion, scavenger hunt, relay race, and talent contests. These events are well-organized and sometimes have impressive prizes.

I think you'll find that the people of LOTRO are friendlier, more generous and helpful than in most other MMOs. (Personally, I think they're the best anywhere!) Perhaps it's the type of people that this theme attracts, perhaps we're just lucky, but we don't have the competitive, backstabbing, drama-laden, negative social atmosphere that I've found in other MMOs. We have a lot of "care bears", which in LOTRO isn't an insult. We have artists, scholars, musicians, writers, and many other people who share their talents with the community. They also share their crafting and questing talents in-game. This is an MMO where you can actually be friends, not just partners, with your kin-mates.

So, to sum up, if you came here looking for WoW with another skin (genre), you're out of luck. You'll probably never like the game and will be frustrated by all the little differences. If you're looking for a different type of game altogether, stick it out even though the interface takes a little getting used to. Give us a good try. Look for a server that has a social group with shared interests.

If you're still dying to PvP, check out skirmishes. I find them as much fun as WoW battlegrounds. Hopefully you'll find several that you enjoy, as well.

Welcome to LOTRO and happy adventuring! If you find yourself on the Landroval server, look for Kiralynn. I'll be happy to answer any questions and help you get started.
    --= Windy Acres Ranch -- http://SteelAndMagic.com =--

Three and my favorite. How's the lore fellas? In WoW there's this constantly evolving lore that keeps changing the zones throughout expansions and patches that gives a feeling like your deeds in the game don't simply go unnoticed after you leave the area. A simple scenario for comparison.
    - The first group quest in human questline takes you hunting a troublemaker gnoll known as Hogger (lv10). When you get there, a paladin and three mages show up to stop you from executing the damned thing, taking him to Stormwind Stockade (prison). When you hit level 20, Stormwind Stockade is open as a lv20-30 dungeon and you can see there that Hogger is part of the riot and the Warden tells you, that now it's the time to finish that job, because the beast can't be held, even in the prison.
    Well that is the age old question

LoTRO is based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien not the Films by PJ.

The zones will never change like they do in WoW ..
    The devs will add more zones as the game progresses, and we move into new areas of the books

Currently we have reached Helm's Deep in the Storyline

Whereas WoW is not based on anything but a game
    in WoW the game came before any kind of lore and they (the game makers) change it to suit their needs
    In LoTRO the Lore came before the game and dictates how the game progresses

Dont get into it!

This game has almost no pvp.
    This game has no end-game.(aka old scaled instances)
    This game has so many bugs its insane.
    This game has very low population on most servers.
    This game has no cross-server functionality, so you will not find people using dungeon finder.

People say "this is not a pvp game". Well the pve in this game i just as bad at the moment.
    Lotro was greate a few years ago now its garbage. And also the developers have said that we will have no new instances or raids any time soon.

Sure if you want to run around and 1-hit mobs and reading ton of quests for 95 levels this game will probably be for you. This game is not worth spending money on atm. But its f2p for some levels just try it and see what you think about it. If you are from europe the highest population are snowbourne.
    Last edited by yafga; Jan 14 2014 at 05:56 PM.

Thank you for your quick answers. I really appreciate them.

So...

First off, I need to subscribe to remove gold caps, get bags, traits and trade and all the other stuff I don't know about off, right?

Then after lv30, some zones are unlocked to me because of my subscription time but the expansion ones aren't, therefore I need to buy them to access the quests, dungeons and respective raids.

Did I get it right?

If I did, can someone point me to a thread regarding all the necessary steps to have a full experience throughout the game?

First and foremost, you do NOT have to go VIP to get rid of gold caps or trade. Buying the Mithril Edition from gamestop.com or any place you can find it will take away the gold cap, let you trade, permanently give you 4 zones (including the Moria expansion) and 2k TP, which you can use to buy more zones, bags, trait slots, or anything else. Of course, if you really want to experience all content, the cheapest way would probably be to be VIP and save your 500 TP a month to buy expansions.
    Your statement seems correct in that for the time you subscribe, you have access to all non-expansion zones up to 85 (there isn't a non-expansion zone for 95 yet). Expansions you must buy with money or in-game TP.
    To have a full experience all you must do is subscribe and buy the expansions. The rest of the store purchases are completely optional.
    As for pvp I can't help there, I'm not much of a pvp-er myself. Although I don't believe there is anything like the heirlooms you speak of.

I'd like to correct some things said by other posters. PvP is the only thing even remotely close to an end-game currently. It consists of one region, and is extremely repetitive, but some enjoy it ( the best numbers I have found say that ten percent of players are PvPers). You MUST subscribe AND reach the level cap of 95 to play a human/dwarf/elf/hobbit in PvP (freep). You need only be level 10 to play a "freaver(creep/ an orc)," but you need to buy traits, trait slots, and other things from the "store" to be competitive. As long as you subscribe, you can get the creep traits and such along with the other perks of being VIP, but you must buy any class except Reaver that you played from the store if you want to keep the perks if you cancel your subscription. Depending on how long you are VIP, you will likely have some Turbine points to buy things after your VIP ends.
    Last edited by Magdon1; Jan 14 2014 at 07:34 PM.

yafga
    Dont get into it!
    This game has almost no pvp.
    This game has no end-game.(aka old scaled instances)
    This game has so many bugs its insane.
    This game has very low population on most servers.
    This game has no cross-server functionality, so you will not find people using dungeon finder.

People say "this is not a pvp game". Well the pve in this game i just as bad at the moment.
    Lotro was greate a few years ago now its garbage. And also the developers have said that we will have no new instances or raids any time soon.

Sure if you want to run around and 1-hit mobs and reading ton of quests for 95 levels this game will probably be for you. This game is not worth spending money on atm. But its f2p for some levels just try it and see what you think about it. If you are from europe the highest population are snowbourne.

I'm sure that this is a smurf account for one of the current detractors of this game, so listen at your own risk.

@OP

The easiest way to find out if you like this game is to play it, keep in mind there are some things that are easy in this game but hopefully the dps and other issues will be corrected in the near future with some upcoming updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmanthief View Post
    I'm sure that this is a smurf account for one of the current detractors of this game, so listen at your own risk.

@OP

The easiest way to find out if you like this game is to play it, keep in mind there are some things that are easy in this game but hopefully the dps and other issues will be corrected in the near future with some upcoming updates.
    Haha. I have played lotro since 2008. I loved the game back in moria, but now its seriously really bad

So...

No. You never HAVE to subscribe. There are two ways to obtain content, and you can mix and match them over your time in the game.
    1. Subscribe (become VIP). You pay a monthly (quarterly, yearly) fee and in return you RENT all the non-expansion zones and get a number of unlocks and other perks.
    2. Obtain Turbine Points (either by completing deeds in game, or by purchasing them with real life money) and spend them to unlock content and other perks in the Lotro Store.

The easiest way, and probably the cheapest way if you are OK with spending real money, is to subscribe. But you don't NEED to.

Did I get it right?
    Not exactly. All players have 4 zones unlocked: Breeland, the Shire, Ered Luin, and the Lonelands. The Lonelands will take you to approximately level 30, which is when the unlocked zones run out.

IF you subscribe, *all* the non-Expansion zones are unlocked to you while your subscription is active. This content *can* take you to level 85 without purchasing any expansions, though the post-50 going might be a little tough in spots. The zones that are LOCKED are the 5 expansions: Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, Rohan, and Helm's Deep. Only the quests, dungeons, and raids associated with expansions is locked while your subscription is active. Moria, the first expansion, is level 50 - 60 content, and the others are for even higher levels.

You may feel that a subscription is mandatory because of PvMP. You don't have to be VIP to play monster characters (though non-subscribers have to pay TP to unlock additional classes). You DO have to be VIP -- AND also at least level 90 -- to take your human, elf, dwarf, or hobbit character to the Ettenmoors to fight monster characters.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

About the lore:

As mentioned, the game is based on Tolkien's books, rather than the films. If you've read the books recently (especially LOTR), you'll see *tons* of things that are mentioned only like once, ever, in LOTR that are full-fledged places or characters (or even raids, like the tower of Orthanc is based on one sentence Saruman said in the book).

When it comes to lore Turbine makes, you'll *definitely* see that type of progression through the game with the Epic Line. Some enemies you see more than once, like Ivar the Gaunt Lord (in the Epic first, in the level 30 instance of GA, and then the scaling 65-95 OD instance). Some quests show this more than others of course. It gets even better when you get to areas with phasing (Dunland onward). One of my favorite cases of this was seeing an orc I had to free in the Great River region pop up again in East Rohan. If you do the quest, you're recognized in the later quest. If you don't, you are not.

But reading the quests actually makes the quests, and so leveling, a lot more interesting than they would be otherwise IMO.
    [CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/dgoqrr.jpg[/IMG]
    RIP ELENDILMIR • Jingle Jangle[B]
    Landroval[/B]: [SIZE=1]LAERLIN ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/laerlin"]Bio + Drawings[/URL]) • LAERWEN • OLORIEL • AETHELIND ([URL="http://tinyurl.com/aethelind"]Bio + Drawing[/URL]) • NETHAEL[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][URL="http://tinyurl.com/mnwbbbq"]Make LOTRO Housing Fun & Profitable![/URL] • [URL="http://tinyurl.com/m33b8be"]New Dye Color Suggestions![/URL][/CENTER]

As has already been stated, No. You do not NEED to subscribe to get them, it's just that the subscription is the most economical way to go about it.

I'm not sure how the tiers of class trait unlocks work now, but just prior to HD, there were 5 class trait slots and 2 legendary trait slots to unlock, in addition to the 3 virtue and 3 race slots we still have.

Unlocking all the traits on a single character cost 1435 TP; 95 per class, virtue and race slot, 195 per legendary slot. The 1435 TP would have cost you somewhere near $18, where as a single month of VIP only costs $15.

So, the unlocking of traits on a single character is well worth the cost of a month of VIP. Factor in multiple characters, and you're practically stealing from Turbine. Everything else (bags, gold cap, swift travel, riding skill at lvl 20, rented content, etc.) is just gravy.

But, a side from permanent access to swift travel (only available to present/past VIP) and Freep (Free Peoples) access to PvMP, everything else that VIP unlocks can be bought piecemeal.

If it's PvP you want don't try it.

Now if you are looking for a SIMs Online with no progression base system and 1 to 3 shot kill mobs mechanics then yes go ahead and play it.

Oh yeah it has a good story line and that's about it.

I just finished downloading it, but it's getting me mad.

I can login at the turbine account page, but says need product key. I try to register at signup.lotro.com but says there's an error with my submission...getting lost here.

Quote Originally Posted by Macroscian View Post
    The only real problem a beginner ex-wow has in the game is usually a cultural clash. It can be irritating to get temp banned 3 days right at start because you were rude to others. I mean it! It is not a small issue.

THIS is what I love most about this game vs wow. It's a totally different kind of player here. Mature, polite, helpful, friendly... are words that come to mind right off the bat. Something sadly lacking in wow.

I can login at the turbine account page, but says need product key. I try to register at signup.lotro.com but says there's an error with my submission...getting lost here.
    Perhaps something went wrong due to the account maintenance that's scheduled for this Wednesday. It's been quite a while since I registered my account, but recall the process going smoothly. Try again a bit later?

I think most people said it eloquently, only one thing seems to have escaped. Which needs to be said. You can pvp from early on, get a char to lvl 10 and join the good fella's in Saurons camp. Whether or not if you'd like the pvmp scene I can't say obviously. But it should not go unchecked by anyone who want the full experience imo. It's not for the faint of heart though, it will be rough, it will be bloody and it will be frustrating and extremely uphill, it gets progressively less and less frustrating though as you rank and get to know what's what out in The Moors.
    To run as a creep you'll prolly be best off if you're slightly mental and run around with some fairly heavy masochistic tendencies...otherwise the only other option is to wait for lvl cap and join Aragorn and his gang of tree-huqqing hippies. You'll miss out on the opportunity to truly face a challenge though, but each to his own, and not a bad word about the free people. Orcs need to feed.

LotrO PvP is actually alot of fun give it a try.

you can play monster (Creep) side at level 10. roll a warg and see what its all about.

one difference to the pvp here is most of the time you will know who you are fighting. its got that sandbox highschool drama kind of feel to it.

Cool

"Three and my favorite. How's the lore fellas?"

Dude, this is The Lord of the Rings Online. It's about as good as anything will ever get lore-wise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast