We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

I want a new house!

So one of my characters (I am new and leveling all 9 classes to about lvl 20, then will pick my main) bought a deluxe house (7 Gold) in the Dwarf region. . .Thorin's Hall Homesteads? I am really liking my Guardian. . . Man race, so now I want to buy a deluxe house in the Bree-Land area. I do not want two houses (not sure if that is even possible), so how do I sell my current house so I can buy a new one.

I only have 7 total gold right now, so I would like to sell my current house before I buy another. So my question is, how do I sell my house?

I see these "Escrow" NPC's (a red icon above their head) thinking they would be the ones to talk to about selling my house but when I click on them, nothing happens? How come?

Any info would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxammer View Post
    So one of my characters (I am new and leveling all 9 classes to about lvl 20, then will pick my main) bought a deluxe house (7 Gold) in the Dwarf region. . .Thorin's Hall Homesteads? I am really liking my Guardian. . . Man race, so now I want to buy a deluxe house in the Bree-Land area. I do not want two houses (not sure if that is even possible), so how do I sell my current house so I can buy a new one.

I only have 7 total gold right now, so I would like to sell my current house before I buy another. So my question is, how do I sell my house?

I see these "Escrow" NPC's (a red icon above their head) thinking they would be the ones to talk to about selling my house but when I click on them, nothing happens? How come?

Any info would be appreciated.
    First, you can only have one house per account (per server). You can't just have an alt buy the second house (no idea if this might change this year or not). I'm also assuming that you have the gold cap unlocked (and are counting the 7 gold on one character. Without the gold cap removed, you can't buy the house (this is probably the biggest reason for unlocking the gold cap).

Second, as far as I know you can't sell a house. Only abandon it (no gold back). I'd wait a bit to see if anyone corrects me.

Third, if you bought a house (specifically if you unlocked the storage) before Helm's Deep, you will be unlikely to afford the same amount of storage (even with gold unlocked) as pre-helms deep (it *starts* at 1 gold per "vault upgrade" sized expansion. The last one is 25 gold).

Finally, I wouldn't move to Chetwood ("Bree") unless all my characters have a good "port to Bree". While you can rent a horse there, you can't rent one back. It's still a fairly long ride back and a longer walk. Thorin's gate is fairly close to a stable with swift travel to Bree (even for f2p accounts). After changing servers I bought a house in Bree (after having one in Thorin's gate (or possibly vice versa, and moved back)) and while I liked the better view, Thorin's Gate is much more convenient especially for alts without port to bree or horses.

Ahhh, I did not think of that, [U][I]"Thorin's Gate is much more convenient especially for alts without port to bree or horses." I will be using my alts for crafting purposes, so maybe keeping my Dwarf Dwelling is the way to go.

Ehh, I'll get enough sunshine while I'm out exploring the world anyway, who needs a view with sunrises and sunsets. . .overrated.

I paid 7 gold for my deluxe house, so if I cannot get $$$ back for selling, and/or I have to just abandon my house, I might as well keep it.

I am VIP, so I think my gold cap is unlocked.

Thanks for the information.

When changing houses, as stated, you get no cash back for the house

You do, however, get back any advanced rent you have paid.
    So if you paid for the next 4 weeks you would get that back

To change house
    Go into the Housing Panel on your character journal, and select Abandon

You can clear out the chest if you wish and collect any decorations. Assuming you have bag space to do so

If not, any and all items left in the House will go into the Escrow Account ... The NPC you interacted with previously, but got no response

Any items that are bound to other characters will be returned to them
    IE If you let friends or kin members decorate your house.
    Anything bound to them will go back to them
    HAF-X | ROG Crosshair V Formula Z | AMD FX 9370 4.4Ghz Black | 32Gb RAM | R9 290 4Gb (x2) | LG BD-RE | 500GB Samsung 850 EVO 550/540 SSD | Win10 Pro | WEI - 8.5

The chest that is in the house. . .that is something else I wanted to ask about. In order to use it, you need to pay for space right? I have tried to add stuff to it, but says I can't. I guess it is not like the vault . . .some of the vault storage is free.

So the escrow NPC just holds stuff that was stored in your chest while you are in the moving stage? is that their only function, or am I misunderstanding?

I really did like the Bree-Land Homesteads, maybe I'll buy one after all. Is there someone to go to that lists all the houses that are for sale? I found my current one just by walking by and there being a for sale sign out in the front lawn. I noticed there are a TON of neighborhoods, and I would rather get an idea of houses that are for sale before I go in and out of instances looking for property.

I have seen two prices for houses (granted I am new to this housing thing) 1G or 7G. . .are those the only prices or are there some prices in between? I would like another Deluxe house, but I only have 7Gold at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Malindruel View Post
    You do, however, get back any advanced rent you have paid.
    So if you paid for the next 4 weeks you would get that back
    Not no more you don't.

The chest that is in the house. . .that is something else I wanted to ask about. In order to use it, you need to pay for space right? I have tried to add stuff to it, but says I can't. I guess it is not like the vault . . .some of the vault storage is free.
    yep, need to pay for the housing chests. How much i Am not sure on, just came back after a few years off myself.

So the escrow NPC just holds stuff that was stored in your chest while you are in the moving stage? is that their only function, or am I misunderstanding?
    Pretty much, they are not used for storage other than what you get dumped in there via abandoned houses. Once opened I believe (not sure) that you are gonna need to empty them within a period of time, a month? Until you open them however I believe its still unlimited time the items will stay.

I really did like the Bree-Land Homesteads, maybe I'll buy one after all. Is there someone to go to that lists all the houses that are for sale? I found my current one just by walking by and there being a for sale sign out in the front lawn. I noticed there are a TON of neighborhoods, and I would rather get an idea of houses that are for sale before I go in and out of instances looking for property.
    Outside each housing complex is a housing broker, you can also reach them via horse from the zone starting horses...bree (south horse), MD, thorins, Celedion (I never get that spelling right) if I remember correctly. Easiest way I know of to see all that is for sale is to go to the broker, look thru the list of neighborhoods, find one with the most empty houses and head to that one. walk around, check out the houses, etc. Once you find one you like, look for it in the list of neighborhoods to find an empty one. you can then go to it and purchase off the sign or buy at the housing vendor, but you do need to abandon your previous house first.

I have seen two prices for houses (granted I am new to this housing thing) 1G or 7G. . .are those the only prices or are there some prices in between? I would like another Deluxe house, but I only have 7Gold at the moment.
    I have not looked but those are the basic price points from when i was here before, I'm assuming they are relatively the same still. The houses can range a little bit, up to 8g? for a delux and 1.5 for standard if I remember right, depending on location in the neighborhood mostly....that I'd have to go look at to be sure of. Kin houses are same way but only kin leaders can buy those, starting at 15g. Again this could well be old news, I have not taken the time yet to look at the brokers since coming back two days ago.

I can verify as stated by the previos poster, you do NOT get your rent paid in advance refunded if you abandon like before. When I came back, first thing I did was unlock my house and started clicking to pay upkeep, merrily clicking away before it hit me I was paying for more than the original six weeks lol. Glad its only a standard house because I do plan to move eventually back to a deluxe. right now its paid up thru I believe march lol.

I'm a housing nut, having lived in all but thorins, never could deal with the cave atmosphere in there. With the current hook system, I thought I'd mention that while the same size house has same number of hooks, the layout of the house/yard will determine where those hooks are. Back in my main play time, before f2p started, I had a ton of houses, at one point I was paying rents on (and moving lol) two kin houses, and four deluxe houses. I had two accounts, each with a kin, plus my husband's when he quit playing (ex for 2 yrs now), and our daughters acct. I did downsize over time, now I have the two accts at premium, one acct I just started strickly f2p as of now, and one kin is left. Only house I currently have is that standard, but I sure have some housing deco in my character bags. Hard to get rid of all that stuff but no where to put it, I won't be going back to those days again....was a bear keeping up with it all.

One last thing to mention, about the distance from bree housing to breeland etc. No matter where I had my houses, all my characters were mapped to MD. The convienence of being in one place, where I knew the layout and it wasnt spread out ten miles like the others, plus I love the Shire....swift horses anywhere easily accessible, its a great place to base your toons. A couple I did have mapped to esteldin (spelling stinks) or rivendell for my scholar...but only because I was not leveling them.

Hope that helps a bit

Here is turbine's FAQ. It might be slightly out of date and I didn't see anything about the chests.

Using those chests are expensive:

Quote Originally Posted by PKCrichton View Post
    With NDA dropped this is the information gathered on the small housing changes made with Helm's Deep. Please note this is not the Housing Update we have heard about we have been told that is a FUTURE update.

Now that said the following has changed with housing.

- All housing chests are condensed into one chest that now functions similarly to your Vault where it has a Main chest and 10 sub chest sections.

- Your personal Escrow appears to be visible in your personal housing chest when you access it and is listed in the 'main chest' even if you have 0 slots in your storage.

- Housing Escrow appears to merge into housing chests and as such can force your capacity beyond its limits making it so you cannot place new items into your housing chest until over flow items are removed.

***We have been told that Housing Chests now function more like vaults and other storage and can be upgraded to 75 storage spaces via in game gold and to 225 via Mithril.***
    - We have only seen up to 60 with gold and 120 with mithril coins.
    - You now buy space in your housing chest in increments of 15 slots with a price that goes up by 5x each time. This was tested on a Standard and Deluxe House.
    15 Space = 1g = Total of 15
    Next 15 = 5g = Total of 30
    Next 15 = 25g = Total of 45
    Next 15 = 125g or 100 mithril coins = Total of 60
    No further slots available for Standard or Deluxe housing with coin.
    Next 15 = 100 Mithril = Total of 75
    Next 15 = 100 Mithril = Total of 90
    Next 15 = 100 Mithril = Total of 105
    Next 15 = 100 Mithril = Total of 120
    It appears you can spend 100 mithril coins for more slots after this up to 120 in a Deluxe house.
    From memory, the chests didn't show up (unavailable) until Helms Deep. Before that you had to buy them in the maintenance tab and that was all (but you got two tabs for 100silver). If you expand your current chest, don't expect to keep your storage or get a refund. I would also recommend emptying the storage (it *should* wind up in escrow, but do you want to test code that changed last expansion?) before abandoning the house. I have no idea what happens to maps (it asked me if I was willing to destroy them before placing them on the wall).

Thank you all for your responses, you've all been a great help. I did end up buying a standard house on Chestnut in the Bree-Land Homesteads. Its the nice little cottage that backs up to the pond with the huge waterfall. . .beautiful little piece of land. Much nicer than my Mountain dwelling. . .smaller, but nicer.

@ Frishia -"I can verify as stated by the previos poster, you do NOT get your rent paid in advance refunded if you abandon like before. When I came back, first thing I did was unlock my house and started clicking to pay upkeep, merrily clicking away before it hit me I was paying for more than the original six weeks lol. Glad its only a standard house because I do plan to move eventually back to a deluxe. right now its paid up thru I believe march lol."

I'm still confused on the upkeep/rent/lease payment situation? Does the amount deduct itself when due, or do I have to do it? I see a slider on the page too, is that for making payments in advance?

I'm still confused on the upkeep/rent/lease payment situation? Does the amount deduct itself when due, or do I have to do it? I see a slider on the page too, is that for making payments in advance?
    You need to pay rent in advance, otherwise your house will lock and be unusable. You can unlock it later by paying a penalty fee. The slider bar allows you to pay your rent far ahead of time -- you can see how far you will advance the date and how much it will cost before you confirm payment.

I highly recommend giving visitation, use decorations, and maintenance permissions to Everyone (or at least to your kinship). People can't do any harm just by visiting and using your decorations (IE: lighting lamps). If everyone has permission to pay maintenance, a kind soul might pay a little rent for you, especially if you are using your house to store items that you share with others.

Sadly, housing chests are now more expensive than bank storage for an equal amount of space.
    --= Windy Acres Ranch -- http://SteelAndMagic.com =--