We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Advice on a four character strategy.

I've decided to play four characters as of now: champion (man), burglar (hobbit), hunter (elf) and a guardian (dwarf) since those are the race/class combinations that appeal to me and I'd like to get into RP eventually.

I'm a returning player, having been away for a few years, and I have my champion to about level 10, so I've just started back basically. What would be a good strategy to get these characters leveled? Should I focus on one to a certain level point, then switch? I'm just about equally interested in each class, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to stay with one to a certain point. Just looking for advice.

I'd suggest keeping one character about 10 levels ahead of the others, and making him either an armourer or a jeweller. You could extend this to two characters - if you do, one of your high level ones should be an explorer to drive mats for the others.

Crafting - make one an explorer (getting guild tailor), one an armourer (metalsmith), one a tinker (jeweller) and one an armsman or historian (weaponsmith). That way you'll be able to keep all your characters equipped - though these days Big Battles jewellery is SERIOUSLY OP so you could leave the jeweller out.

100s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Hrolfdan (MN), Aldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rumbold (BG): The little ones - Rumbelina (MN), Brai (RK)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), Snowbourn
    A Noob for All Seasons

I would recommend keeping your character's levels spaced out by at least 10-20 levels, or at the very least, quest in different regions to get those levels. Basically, you want to avoid spending too much time in any one zone so that you won't burn out. For example, if you have all 4 characters in the 20s and decide to take them all through the Lone-lands, you're going to get pretty burned out on the Lonelands.

It won't matter so much from levels 1-15 because each of your characters will be in a different starting region, but around level 15, start deciding where each character's path will lie.

Maybe the Hobbit will do Buckland, the Old Forest, then the Barrow Downs before moving on to the Lone-lands.

The Dwarf could do Adso's Camp, Thornley's Work Site, Hengstacer Farm, and Nen Harn before moving on to the North Downs.

The Human could do Archet, Combe, Staddle, Grimbriar's house, Andrath, Saerden's cabin, and the Old Greenway Fort before moving on.

Then you might want to advance one or more of these characters before you bring your Elf through Bree since some of these quest hubs will have to be repeated.

You basically DON'T want to run your Elf through Lonelands on Monday, then do it again on Tuesday with the Dwarf, then do it again on Wednesday with the Human, and Thursday with the Hobbit. That will make you rip your hair out.
    MINSTREL and member of the vocal minority

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Crafting - make one an explorer (getting guild tailor), one an armourer (metalsmith), one a tinker (jeweller) and one an armsman or historian (weaponsmith). That way you'll be able to keep all your characters equipped - though these days Big Battles jewellery is SERIOUSLY OP so you could leave the jeweller out.
    This is incorrect. For four characters, they must have armourer, tinker, historian, woodworker as crafts. That covers every craft skill. Your version has no woodworking - considering that one of his characters is a hunter, that's not a trivial omission. An explorer makes a good fifth character though.

I typically keep my characters roughly five levels apart until the 40s or so. At that point I have enough information to decide if I'm really not that into certain classes (hunter; also dropped LM and RK at that point, but will revisit with the new HD trait trees - LM in particular seems quite nice now). Also quests tend to have quite nice gear rewards from Moria onwards so I'm less concerned about crafting coordination by then. For me, five-ish levels is the better part of a week, which is enough spacing that burn-out from doing the same quests over and over again isn't a big deal.

Making clusters of characters like this on several servers is a wise precaution - just starting out you won't really know if your server will be what you want when/if you get to level cap. Server transfers are very expensive, so better to hedge your bets by having a couple dozen characters spread over 5-6 servers just in case. Though granted if RP is a priority you really only have one possible server (Landroval if you're in the US, Laurelin if you're in Europe, and good luck if you're in Australia or some other distant time zone! ).

I left woodworker out because once a hunter gets to 45 he can get legendary items.

My main is a hunter and never once used a crafted (non-legendary) bow. Quest rewards or rep trades.

100s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Hrolfdan (MN), Aldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rumbold (BG): The little ones - Rumbelina (MN), Brai (RK)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), Snowbourn
    A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    I left woodworker out because once a hunter gets to 45 he can get legendary items.

My main is a hunter and never once used a crafted (non-legendary) bow. Quest rewards or rep trades.
    You'll still want a WW for the champ and guard ranged slots though eventually. Explorer is nice for sure but not really necessary, if you want to be self-sufficient I'd cover all crafting professions first before making an explorer.
    Used to play: 85 Champ / Captain / Runekeeper / Guardian, Guild Master of everything but cooking.
    Playing now: Hellcat / King Tiger / GW Panther / IS / KV-5 / M4 Sherman and more

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    You'll still want a WW for the champ and guard ranged slots though eventually. Explorer is nice for sure but not really necessary, if you want to be self-sufficient I'd cover all crafting professions first before making an explorer.
    It really depends on the player and approach he takes.

I agree with Aedfrith that explorer is an extremely useful profession for the first character to go. I would even recommend giving this profession to a hunter, since with a faster running speed he will collect resources without forgetting about the quests. As a tailor, explorer will provide armour for 2 out of 4 classes chosen by the OP, and cloaks for all 4 classes. Later a tailor will be able to make legendary tools for the burglar. We do not know for how long the OP will stay in the game and if he will reach the level cap eventually, but in the beginning of every expansion explorers have a huge advantage over all other professions in collecting the flakes/sigils/shards - whatever the critical crafting component is called.

As for the remaining 3 professions, I would go for an historian (weponsmither guild, but still a good historian who can craft oils and chants for the hunter), armourer and woodworker simply because I love to have armour and weapons crafted by my own alts. If money would be my main goal, I would make all toons explorers and would just keep selling all the resources on AH.

Returning to the OP and possible strategies, I would say: just go and explore the game on your own. It may happen that you will not like some classes you chose, or maybe you will like one too much and will want to level it more than others. Recommendations by Freya look great, though they would not work for me. I tend to level several alts at the same time in exactly same area, just because I like it. I also like rereading same books and rewatching same movies. There is some connection here Most of my alts - and it is several dozens by now - had the same route till lvl20. They started in Shire, got the Shire quest deed at lvl15-16 and then go to Buckland - Adso's camp - further to the north of Bree. All my alts with no exception complete quest in Lone Lands from the Forsaken Inn till Ost Guruth. The alternative ways (Ered Luin, Archet-Staddle, North Downs) were completed once ages ago but I did not like them for multiple reasons.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Kadarka - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Quote Originally Posted by Grimdi View Post
    WW is pretty unnecessary, whereas a guilded Tailor is very useful. Even if he couldn't make his own bows, there's always the AH. I don't recall him saying that he needed to be self-sufficient, crafting-wise.

As far as leveling goes, I like to do one at a time, at least for a good period. It's a good way to learn how to play the class and improve memory for skills (if your goal is to be good at the combat aspect of the game--it may not be). It also helps with remembering where you are in the way of quests, epics and deeds, not switching around a lot. And if you're into RP, then it may be best to immerse yourself in one character at a time to create strong personas.

Just my opinion--I don't get bored with classes very quickly. The more I play a character, the more I want to play it, even to the point of almost forgetting how much I like a class until I start playing it again.
    Work like no one is watching, dance like you don't need the money...