We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New Player Crafting Question

What would be the most profitable crafting profession to take up as a new player?

Input would be wonderful!

Safe Travels!
    Knomadic

Quote Originally Posted by Knomadic View Post
    What would be the most profitable crafting profession to take up as a new player?
    Most likely explorer. Farm every ore/wood node, use what you need to get proficient, then sell the rest.

Other than selling raw materials, you're not going to see much finical gain in crafting until you reach max tier in crafting and max standing in your crating guild.
    Then, you can sell your service to craft an object using a Large guild item, or craft a Legendary item.

I recommend Explorer for new players, especially if your class is one that wears light or medium armor. You can reliably make money by selling raw materials on the AH to higher-level players who don't want to take the time to gather materials in the areas that you are currently leveling in.

You will also gather dye materials like copper salts and sienna, and see Woad on the landscape where you are hunting. Sienna and Woad sell for astonishing prices in the AH since they are used to make some of the more popular dye colors. You're unlikely to see any for sale because they sell out so quickly.

As HaleElven said, process the ore and wood just enough to raise your Prospecting and Forestry skills to the next level, then sell it all as raw, unprocessed materials. People will pay more for unprocessed so that their character can get the XP for processing it.
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

While Explorer is a sound choice due to all the reasons stated above, you will craft anything for yourself with that profession only from the tailoring field (so if you aren't heavy armor class, it's ok, at least you will be able to craft yourself some armor as you level up).

Some find it more fun when you can actually gear yourself up - brings up some satisfaction from progressing both your character and crafting skills, and something to anticipate as you level up.

Some classes benefit more from chosing a certain profession, so your class plays a great role. Tinker is good choice irrelevant of the class - you can make yourself the jewelry and cook food.

With the changes to crafting (introducing Processing to lower tiers) gaining mastery isn't that time and resources-consuming as it used to be, so if you feel you are unhappy with the choice you've made, you can always shift to another profession.

Quick question on a similar topic:

Based on what I've read on the wiki, it looks like I could take Explorer to start with and later switch to Woodsman without losing my skill points in Forestry. Do I have that right?

Yes, when you change professions you keep the level of any trade that is also in your new profession.

One of the frustrating things about trying to craft your own gear is that you are constantly needing materials from the tier above that which you are questing in.
    Not so much of a problem as it used to be as we are all a lot more powerful these days.
    Just remember if you want the best gear all the time, you will likely need to buy mats from the next tier. You will also be frustrated that you can't make the best crit crafted teals because you need scholars journals.

All of thes problems for the soloer are easily remedied by joining a helpful established kin, probably the single best thing a new player can do.

I picked Explorer. I'm on the second tier in prospector, tailoring, and forest. Is there a common price guide players go off, or is it just throw it in the AH?

Safe Travels

There is no common price guide. You can search before you post and see what people are asking, though that isn't always a good guide because sometimes they've got a really inflated idea of what the stuff is worth and sometimes they're pricing way too low just to get it out of their inventory. The stuff priced correctly doesn't stick around long-I've had stuff sell within five minutes after I posted it. Best plan to decide what is a reasonable return for the amount of time you've invested, bearing in mind that you'd get a lot less at the vendor. And stick to that price unless it hasn't sold a couple of times, in which case you'll want to reconsider. But sometimes stuff doesn't sell for other reasons-everyone is at a festival, for instance-and not because it's priced wrong.

You can set a unit price per piece and figure your price for any numbered lot that way. But I will suggest that you're more likely to sell lots of 20/50/100 of the unprocessed stuff, particularly 50 or 100. That's enough to make significant dents in a crafting tier, so people are more likely to go for them than to piece together a bunch of odd numbered dribs and drabs. It takes time and patience to collect that much stuff, but it's worth it to wait, instead of flinging every little bit of what you found on the landscape up on the AH the minute you get back. I have an Explorer Champion who makes a pretty penny, as does my Yeoman Hunter, who sells hides and wood. Obviously, any class can harvest beasties and sell their hides.

I'm in a kin that consists of my best friend and myself. You could join a kin, or start a couple of alternative characters with crafting that meshes well with what you need. For instance, my toons all send their gemstones to my Tinker to make up big lots and sell, while they send the lower level hides to my Yeoman. It all balances out, since they all craft for each other and harvest nodes as well. My Explorer regularly finds ore and prepares it for my Historian, who can't harvest and needs it for her weaponsmithing. I've got all the professions covered now, but I'm VIP and have five character slots to play with. If you've only got three, you'll have to make choices about what you need the most.
    Last edited by Dolamrothdame2; Jan 19 2014 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knomadic View Post
    I picked Explorer. I'm on the second tier in prospector, tailoring, and forest. Is there a common price guide players go off, or is it just throw it in the AH?
    There is no set price. You can drag your item to the search field in the AH window and it will paste the name in for you. Do a search and see what others are asking. If that looks like a good price, then decide how much you want to charge and post it. Over time you'll get an idea of how much your stuff sells for. I like to price it for the highest price I can find that still causes it to sell (at buyout) in 2 days. If they stop selling after a couple postings, or they start selling for minimum bid rather than buyout, I drop the buyout price.

That's also a tip -- always set a buyout price unless you are posting a unique something that you have no idea what to charge. When starting out, set your bid price at a reasonable amount and set the buyout price for the highest you think anyone would ever pay. Over time you'll be surprised as to how high someone is willing to pay!
    <<Insert clever sig here>>

Quote Originally Posted by Shukar View Post
    There is no set price. You can drag your item to the search field in the AH window and it will paste the name in for you. Do a search and see what others are asking. If that looks like a good price, then decide how much you want to charge and post it. Over time you'll get an idea of how much your stuff sells for. I like to price it for the highest price I can find that still causes it to sell (at buyout) in 2 days. If they stop selling after a couple postings, or they start selling for minimum bid rather than buyout, I drop the buyout price.

That's also a tip -- always set a buyout price unless you are posting a unique something that you have no idea what to charge. When starting out, set your bid price at a reasonable amount and set the buyout price for the highest you think anyone would ever pay. Over time you'll be surprised as to how high someone is willing to pay!
    Thanks for the helpful tips. Now I have to take the time, stop questing, and go find an AH

I have over 100 copper ingots :X

Safe Travels