We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Running lotro from a PC throug Remote Desktop in an iMac

Hello there,

I would like to consider buying a PC and playing on my iMac through Remote Desktop. I do want the stability and power of a last generation PC but not the cable clutter that comes along, neither having to have two computers in my desk.
    Anyone have experience in this matter? Works?
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000acad1/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Ayersclan View Post
    I would like to consider buying a PC and playing on my iMac through Remote Desktop. I do want the stability and power of a last generation PC but not the cable clutter that comes along, neither having to have two computers in my desk.
    I have no experience with ARD (or any other Remote Desktop) with the exception of that provided by the Finder and Bonjour.

Simply put -- that configuration sucks. Response has never been good, but under Mavericks, it has gotten pathetic.... plus screen-repainting, simply doesn't happen.

I run a 27 inch iMac (late 2010) and a Mac Mini (Late 2012), and it is simply painful to use the Screen Sharing - definitely not feasible for gaming.

As far as LOTRO goes, there is no significant benefit to using the PC client vs the MacClient. Depending on who you talk to -- graphics on the Mac Client are as good as, or better than those on the PC client. The difference is basically OpenGL (on the Mac) vs DX (on the PC).

As far as lag, crashing, etc. they are both pretty equal, and have many of the same bugs. (Like downloading all 30 transition screens.)

The only problem I have with the Mac Client crashing every 45 minutes is from a Lua timer-runout according to the dumps.
    Turbine's solution -- don't use Luas!

Will Apple do anything about ARD or Screen Sharing? I have no idea -- they are even more closed-mouth about acknowledging problems than Turbine! (Even with Apple Care.)
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden

Val - Man Minstrel (90)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (69)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (65)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (86)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (80)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (70)
    Valanne - Beorning (92)
    Ninth - Man Warden (65)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Thank you Valamar,

Your feedback is very helpful. I will consider another possibility. My iMac is 2010 i3 and does get very hot even using lowest res.

Thank you,

Ayer
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/222190000000acad1/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Ayersclan View Post
    Hello there,

Doubt if it would work well. I used remote desktop, over the internet granted, for maintaining a relatives mac and it was very slow.

If you can get a win 7 disk lotro works fine on bootcamp.

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/bootcamp/