We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Riddles

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    The balrog, Durin's Bane, thrown down by Gandalf on Zirak-zigil.
    Well done! Too easy apparently. I was actually thinking of Durin's Tower but the Durin's Bane is just as good as an answer.
    You're up.
    Tobex, Minstrel - Snowbourn

I thought it was a good riddle. It was the reference to the Seven kings that clicked for me. Looking back at it, Durin's Tower is clearly the superior fit compared to Durin's Bane.

Next one:

Begin at the beginning of beginnings,
    And pass through start of an era.
    After reaching the middle of now,
    Cross over the end of never,
    Until you come the close of an eon.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Is this Tolkien related or not?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Begin at the beginning of beginnings,
    And pass through start of an era.
    After reaching the middle of now,
    Cross over the end of never,
    Until you come the close of an eon.
    Thus Beorn. Very topical

Very good Stride, very well done!
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Excellent work. You have the stick.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Excellent work. You have the stick.
    Thanks, I'll have a think overnight and post something tomorrow...

OK I think this should be relatively easy but it's been turning around in my head for a while so I might as well use it:

I have legs but cannot walk,
    I have arms but cannot grasp,
    I have a back but no front.

Quote Originally Posted by StrideColossus View Post
    OK I think this should be relatively easy but it's been turning around in my head for a while so I might as well use it:

I have legs but cannot walk,
    I have arms but cannot grasp,
    I have a back but no front.
    Methinks it is a chair?
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilros View Post
    Methinks it is a chair?
    Indeed, thought that was a leetle too easy but had to get it out of my head . You're up Wilros.

Hmm, I think I may be worse at thinking up riddles than I am at trivia questions, but I'll give it a shot with:

I am a sustainer of life
    But also bring of destruction and death
    I carve through rock and stone
    Yet have no strength of my own
    I run without stopping
    Pass my bed without sleeping
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

A river.

(more words)

Yup, easy as pie. Your turn to hit us with the riddle stick Vilnas!

How about this:

Alone am I, apart,
    Unnoticed, invisible.
    Long I sit, the leaves turn,
    And the wayward stalker
    Comes nigh desire’s object.
    My narrow mouth opens,
    Accepts a unique kiss,
    Then with arms spread wide,
    I receive kin long lost,
    Three I might embrace.

Probably too easy, but I want to get something posted for the group to chew on.

So, apparently not too easy like I had feared. Looking back on it I see that it is rather more weird than I had meant for it to be. Hopefully all will agree it is innocuous enough once the answer is revealed.

I should have mentioned in the OP that the answer is grounded in JRRT lore, rather than a generalized concept.

The answer that comes to mind is the keyhole to the Secret Door of Erebor, especially while reading the lines:
    My narrow mouth opens,
    Accepts a unique kiss,
    I receive kin long lost,

But I’m not sure it fits the whole riddle, such as “Three I might embrace.” Not sure what the 3 would refer to with this answer. I believe there were only 2 of the dwarves who had actually lived at Erebor previously (Thorin and Balin)?

The answer that comes to mind is the keyhole to the Secret Door of Erebor, especially while reading the lines:
    My narrow mouth opens,
    Accepts a unique kiss,
    I receive kin long lost,

But I’m not sure it fits the whole riddle, such as “Three I might embrace.” Not sure what the 3 would refer to with this answer. I believe there were only 2 of the dwarves who had actually lived at Erebor previously (Thorin and Balin)?
    Nice job! That is exactly the answer I had in mind:

Alone am I, apart, [Lonely Mountain]

Unnoticed, invisible. [Hard to see the ledge from below, keyhole actually invisible]

Long I sit, the leaves turn, And the wayward stalker Comes nigh desire’s object. [Tilion (the Moon) is referred to as the Wayward because of his uncertain course in pursuing Arien (the Sun). Moon and Sun in sky together at the end of autumn (a time of turning leaves) signifying Durin's Day]

My narrow mouth opens, Accepts a unique kiss, [Keyhole becomes apparent, key used]

Then with arms spread wide, I receive kin long lost, [Doors open, exiled dwarves able to enter]

Three I might embrace. [5 feet high the door and 3 may walk abreast]

Nice job! That is exactly the answer I had in mind:

Alone am I, apart, [Lonely Mountain]

Unnoticed, invisible. [Hard to see the ledge from below, keyhole actually invisible]

Long I sit, the leaves turn, And the wayward stalker Comes nigh desire’s object. [Tilion (the Moon) is referred to as the Wayward because of his uncertain course in pursuing Arien (the Sun). Moon and Sun in sky together at the end of autumn (a time of turning leaves) signifying Durin's Day]

My narrow mouth opens, Accepts a unique kiss, [Keyhole becomes apparent, key used]

Then with arms spread wide, I receive kin long lost, [Doors open, exiled dwarves able to enter]

Three I might embrace. [5 feet high the door and 3 may walk abreast]
    Nice work, I liked that one. Had me completely stumped too

Ah, didn't expect to get that one right, but with your clarification it all makes sense. Great riddle!

I will try to make this one a tad tougher than my first attempt but also more fun (rhyming, yay!). Again, this answer is a Tolkien-based item and not a generality:

Come in, sit down, and toss a few;
    Unless the authorities have apprehended you.
    I sit in an area most amphibious,
    With a people considered very courteous.
    My name like that of flora but dead,
    Dancing and bobbing not over my head.

Someone still might be able to solve right away...

Ah, didn't expect to get that one right, but with your clarification it all makes sense. Great riddle!

I will try to make this one a tad tougher than my first attempt but also more fun (rhyming, yay!). Again, this answer is a Tolkien-based item and not a generality:

Come in, sit down, and toss a few;
    Unless the authorities have apprehended you.
    I sit in an area most amphibious,
    With a people considered very courteous.
    My name like that of flora but dead,
    Dancing and bobbing not over my head.

Someone still might be able to solve right away...
    The Floating Log inn? First line implies beer (to me anyway!), second line might refer to the inn being closed by Sharkey? Amphibious since it's in a marsh? and the rest.... er

The Floating Log inn? First line implies beer (to me anyway!), second line might refer to the inn being closed by Sharkey? Amphibious since it's in a marsh? and the rest.... er
    You've got it! As for the rest:
    I sit in an area most amphibious, -> a marsh yes, and also sits in the village of Frogmorton
    With a people considered very courteous. -> Hobbits of course!
    My name like that of flora but dead, -> a log is something that used to be part of a living plant but now would be considered dead.
    Dancing and bobbing not over my head. -> floating, not sinking.

The riddle stick is yours!

OK here goes:

I have forests that have no trees and roads you cannot walk,
    I can tell you where to go and yet I cannot talk.

OK here goes:

Methinks it could be stars.

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Methinks it could be stars.
    Nope, navigating by the stars is plausible for the second line, but what about the 'forests' and 'roads' in the first?

OK here goes:

Is it a map?
    Tobex, Minstrel - Snowbourn

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast