We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Riddles

Game of Riddles

I´d like to propose a new riddle-game (with the leave of the merited riddlers).

New or new.. I would like these riddles be more of the style like Bilbos and Gollums riddles. I would also like to have the riddles restricted to riddles wich reasonably could be asked by hobbits, dragons or other riddling people in Middle-Earth by..say the late third age. I´d be glad to hear other suggestions of rules if you would find them needed.

Otherwise, same rules as in the word-trivias; correct answer gains the riddle-stick

I´ll post an example/first riddle:

Day-time filled with flesh and bone
    Night-time empty gapes
    Last edited by EddieMuerto; Jan 09 2014 at 04:24 PM.

If we doesn't answer does it eats us precioussss?
    Today is a good day for Pie.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Quote Originally Posted by bambubambubambu View Post
    If we doesn't answer does it eats us precioussss?
    We doesssssnt

Just to be clear, the answers will be something from:

The Silmarillion
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadill
    The Children Of Hurin

as listed in the original rules yes?

Do not meddle in the affairs of Burglars, for they are subtle and quick to shank you.

Just to be clear, the answers will be something from:

The Silmarillion
    The Hobbit
    The Lord Of The Rings
    The Adventures Of Tom Bombadill
    The Children Of Hurin

as listed in the original rules yes?
    I think it is a matter of whether it is a Tolkien trivia game or a riddle game. If it is a Tolkien trivia game, then we have traditionally limited ourselves to the mainstream published works. If it is a riddle game then the question of source material doesn't really apply. I got the sense that EddieMuerto was proposing a riddle game with freeform answers. E.g., the riddle game from The Hobbit included answers like eggs, time and darkness.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMuerto View Post
    Day-time filled with flesh and bone
    Night-time empty gapes
    If you had it reversed ("Night-time filled with flesh and bone; Day-time empty gapes") I would have said "bed" and felt good about my answer. As it is I am struggling to narrow the playing field as it were. How about "shoes"? I am sure that is not what you have in mind, as it is really just one of many potential examples of the general concept of things filled with flesh and bone by day, but empty by night.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    I think it is a matter of whether it is a Tolkien trivia game or a riddle game. If it is a Tolkien trivia game, then we have traditionally limited ourselves to the mainstream published works. If it is a riddle game then the question of source material doesn't really apply. I got the sense that EddieMuerto was proposing a riddle game with freeform answers. E.g., the riddle game from The Hobbit included answers like eggs, time and darkness.
    Right. I was also wondering what Eddie had in mind. Are the answers limited to something from the works or more open as in the style of the game played in the Hobbit.

What say you Eddie?

Right. I was also wondering what Eddie had in mind. Are the answers limited to something from the works or more open as in the style of the game played in the Hobbit.

What say you Eddie?
    Yes, I´d like them to be more of the style of "Riddles in the dark", but limited to riddles that fit into Tolkiens world as a riddle said by someone and based on "general kmowledge", if you get my meaning

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    If you had it reversed ("Night-time filled with flesh and bone; Day-time empty gapes") I would have said "bed" and felt good about my answer. As it is I am struggling to narrow the playing field as it were. How about "shoes"? I am sure that is not what you have in mind, as it is really just one of many potential examples of the general concept of things filled with flesh and bone by day, but empty by night.
    For this riddle "shoes" is the right answer, although a hobbit would probably have some difficulties with this ridddle :-)

Yes, I´d like them to be more of the style of "Riddles in the dark", but limited to riddles that fit into Tolkiens world as a riddle said by someone and based on "general kmowledge", if you get my meaning

For this riddle "shoes" is the right answer, although a hobbit would probably have some difficulties with this ridddle :-)
    Ah very good then! An interesting side note, the Hobbits and shoes issue came up again just yesterday in kin chat. I checked the books again and found that the Hobbit says 'never' or 'none' to Hobbits wearing shoes, yet in Concerning Hobbits from the Fellowship of the Ring it says 'seldom'.

I bet Vilnas will have an excellent poser for us next!

Shall we make a rule that it is allowed to post riddles while waiting for the person who currently has the stick?

Shall we make a rule that it is allowed to post riddles while waiting for the person who currently has the stick?
    Personally I don't mind waiting a lil bit for someone to take thier turn. Having more than one going on at a time gets too confusing for me.

Actually I suggest we break a bit with tradition and allow for 3 riddle-sticks to be passed. I agree it does add to confusion but at the same time ensures that there will be a continual source of food for thought in the thread. A good riddle is far more difficult to contrive than a good piece of trivia: having 2 or 3 sticks on the go will allow for a new recipient to come up with a good riddle without feeling rushed.

It's been as week since Eddie confirmed the answer given by Vilnas as correct. I hate to let Eddie's thread stagnate, so offer a riddle here myself.

Of all Arda's annals, the ardent I eat,
    Both friend and foe, I feast on the famed,
    Yet pity the petty, prey they are not.
    I am the kindliest kin of fierce dragon-kind,
    Even they my fare, mere food when famished.
    With malice absent storied mayhem I make
    As wordless I wander amongst the noteworthy,
    Wise riddler's ruin and word-wright's bane,
    Scourge of scholars yet scholar myself.
    Nourished by wisdom which I witlessly waste,
    With ease I escape the unwary eye.
    Last edited by Ceredig; Jan 19 2014 at 11:29 AM.

No idea. Could be anything from water to lice to fate in my world. (but apparently not in Tolkiens)

No idea. Could be anything from water to lice to fate in my world. (but apparently not in Tolkiens)
    Made a slight change to the 4th line which should make things a little 'clearer'.
    "I am the kindliest kin of fierce dragon-kind," does not necessarily mean a biological relationship to dragons.
    And would not lice also be part of Tolkien's world even if he never mentioned them?

What I meant that so far as I'm able to think it could be anything, although that probably is not the case with this riddle. the answer being something

as for lice, I'm not certain, but I think that the concept of ectoparasites have been mentioned somewhere

What I meant that so far as I'm able to think it could be anything, although that probably is not the case with this riddle. the answer being something

as for lice, I'm not certain, but I think that the concept of ectoparasites have been mentioned somewhere
    Is water "the kindliest kin of fierce dragon-kind"?
    Is water "Scourge of scholars yet scholar myself"?
    The answer does fulfill those qualifications in one way or another. Water does not.
    Look at the themes and imagery in the riddle as well. They intentionally provide a clue to the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceredig View Post
    It's been as week since Eddie confirmed the answer given by Vilnas as correct. I hate to let Eddie's thread stagnate, so offer a riddle here myself.

Of all Arda's annals, the ardent I eat,
    Both friend and foe, I feast on the famed,
    Yet pity the petty, prey they are not.
    I am the kindliest kin of fierce dragon-kind,
    Even they my fare, mere food when famished.
    With malice absent storied mayhem I make
    As wordless I wander amongst the noteworthy,
    Wise riddler's ruin and word-wright's bane,
    Scourge of scholars yet scholar myself.
    Nourished by wisdom which I witlessly waste,
    With ease I escape the unwary eye.
    I wonder if this is something like a bookworm?
    Mornawen "Molly" Bayberry
    Assistant Archivist of Bree, Landroval server
    Kinswoman of The Lonely Mountain Band

Quote Originally Posted by ferdinanda View Post
    I wonder if this is something like a bookworm?
    Indeed it is a bookworm!

No one has seemed to be willing to post anything, I'll take the opportunity now to set a budget riddle:

"I am colored red and blue and yellow and every other hue of the rainbow. I am long and short, thick and thing, and I often rest coiled up. I can eat a hundred sheep in a row and still be hungry. What am I?"

is it clothes?
    [b][color=darkred][i]You cannot pass, I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.[/i][/color][/b]

Not clothes

is it yarn?
    [b][color=darkred][i]You cannot pass, I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.[/i][/color][/b]

elaborate a wee bit more

wool yarn?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast