We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Captain LoM Overview, Tips and Combos

NOTE: Should be up to date as of U13, but don't expect the guide to be updated in the future.

The purpose of this thread is to give an overview of important skills, traits, legacies etc. with few examples with the hope of giving some inspiration on how the LoM Captain can be built and played. The guide is mainly for endgame Captains but some of it may be useful at lower levels as well.

Healing is art, DPS is science, Tanking is strategy. (Would like source on this quote).

Where my LtC Overview focused a lot on a certain rotation, the same concept will not work for LoM. Instead I'll try to put some focus on main aspects of the LoM Captain. The main points will thus be threat, personal survivability, group survivability and then a couple of combos that can be used to handle those three aspects.

Threat Basics
    To have aggro on the mobs you need to build threat. Basically LoM Captains have three ways of building threat, Damage, Healing and Force Taunt from Grave Wound and Threatening Shout. Reading Bohbashums thread on the Threat changes can be useful: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...g-Threat-in-HD

We have the following traits for handling aggro:
    Strong Voice: Turns Threatening Shout from being a single target force taunt to a 6 target AoE force taunt
    Demand Attention: Grave Wound applies a 5s force taunt

Dealing damage: The main route for building aggro in Helms Deep is damage. As tanks you get a 300% multiplier on your damage, so a 1000 damage hit does 3000 damage worth of threat. You can take a trip down the LtC trait tree to grab extra damage, faster attack speed and extra bleed damage.

Healing: Healing as a LoM Captain is useful for two purposes, increasing survivability and building threat. As with damage, healing also builds aggro (and extra aggro as a tank, but the multiplier is unknown atm).

Force Taunt: Force taunts lasts for 5 seconds, but they also put your threat level to about 20% more threat than the player/mob (except if it is yourself) who currently has the highest threat on the targeted enemy.

Personal Survivability
    LoM Captains have a lot of tools for survivability (enough to start threads like these: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...loody-captains ), here's an overview of most of the skills/bonuses etc. that primarily improve your own survivability:

Situational Awareness: Chance to get 5% Evade chance when using DB, Light of Elendil(???) and Routing Cry
    Absorb Momentum: Up to 5% block chance
    Elendil's Boon: Next hit against you deals 20% less damage
    Defensive Strike: Sure Strike gives armor (extra armor can be gained through legacy) and you get a permanent +5% parry chance)
    Shrug Blows Aside: Up to 5% crit defence
    Standard of Valour (SoV): 30% incoming healing for 30s while near the Standard.
    In Harms Way: Half of the damage your group takes is redirected to you. Can also give up to -20% incoming damage. Redirecting damage works within 20 meters.
    Turning Point: Every Defeat Event gives up to 5% incoming healing for 10 seconds. Seems to stack indefinitely.
    LoM initial bonus: Defeat Events: Getting Defeat Events is important because they boost our Rallying Cry and Routing Cry and also because every defeat event gives a stacking(!!) buff from the Turning Point trait
    Strength in Numbers (SiN): For every ally near you (up to 5) you get a heal every second for 5 seconds.
    Shield of the Dunedain (SotD): Gives -75% incoming damage for 10 seconds. Can be increased by 10s through legacy and 5s through Helms Deep jewellery. Does NOT stack with other -incoming damage buffs
    Last Stand: You cannot be defeated for 7 seconds. Can be increased by 10s through legacy.
    Stand Tall: Every hit against you reduces the active cooldown on Last Stand by 1-3 seconds
    Exemplar: Every hit against you and your Shield-brother has a chance of healing you (like 500-700 @ lvl 95). Critical/Devastating hits against you and your Shield-brother reduces the active cooldown on Shield of the Dunedain and Strength in Numbers by respectively 2 and 1 seconds.

Group Survivability
    More than any of the other tank classes, the Captain tank can radically improve the survivability of the fellowship through buffs.
    We have the following traits for increasing group survivability:

In Harms Way: 50% of the damage taken by your fellowship is redirected to you. Works on fellowship members within a 20m radius.
    Fellowship of the Shield: Inspire and To Arms become fellowship wide with 20-60% effect (makes To Arms give 3-9% less incoming damage)
    Standard of Valour: Increases incoming healing by 30% for 30s while near the Standard
    Shield of the Dunedain: Gives -75% incoming damage for 10 seconds. Can be increased by 10s through legacy and 5s through Helms Deep jewellery.
    Gallant Display: This skill does not heal that much but it's still useful and has a low cooldown.

Combos and Tips
    As explained earlier it's not useful to describe larger rotations as the best rotation depends so much on the fight. Instead I'll try give some generic combos and tips that may be useful:

Threat:
    Single Target: Grave Wound/Threatening Shout + Cutting Attack + Devastating Blow + Blade of Elendil: Grave Wound/Threatening Shout gives you a force taunt but it also gives you 20% more threat than the player with the highest threat (unless its yourself), so using your high damage skills after the force taunt is useful to build some aggro on top of the 20% threat.
    AoE: Threatening Shout + Pressing Attack + Standard of Valour: Using PA or SoV for some burst damage can be useful to build on top of the 20% threat.
    If you pick Routing Cry stun, using that before Pressing Attack and/or Standard of Valour is a good idea as stunned targets cannot BPE. This is especially important for Standard of Valour as the Banner won't land if it the attack is BPE'd.
    You will most likely want Pressing Attack boosted with PA Target and PA+DB damage legacies so you can build aggro against a number of mobs. Routing Cry damage can also be useful.
    Mass AoE: Against a lot of targets or fights where adds spawn regularly you may want to focus on healing as that will build threat on all targets. Gallant Display can be a really good boost here because of its low cooldown, group healing and low cooldown, and Inspire helps with the healing as well.
    In fights where adds spawn regularly (e.g. first boss in Bells of Dale) putting Shield-brother on your healer can be a good idea as attacks on the healer will grant the Exemplar heal, make you build aggro which makes the attackers come for you.

Personal Survivability:
    It's more of a lengthy rotation than a combo but here goes:
    SotD -> To Arms + SoV + SiN -> Fighting Withdrawal -> To Arms + SoV + SiN:
    1. SotD makes you extremely durable for up to 25 seconds.
    2. When SotD runs out, using To Arms along with Standard of Valour will increase your survivability for another 30s (though not as much as SotD). Use Strength in Numbers when needed
    3. Afterwards, using Fighting Withdrawal increases your Parry chance by 30% for 30 seconds. With a 2h Sword, On Guard and a lot of parry rating you can get 62% parry that way
    4. When Fighting Withdrawal runs out, using To Arms along with Standard of Valour will increase your survivability for another 30s. Use Strength in Numbers when needed
    By the time the second round of To Arms + SoV + SiN runs out, SotD should be ready again so you can repeat the cycle. Through this rotation you should be able to have strong defensive buffs up more or less permanently.

IHW+LS can also be worked into the rotation of course (I'd use it with Fighting Withdrawal), but for some fights it is nicer to keep it for emergencies.

To make the most of the +5% evade chance from Situational Awareness you may want to spread out Pressing Attack/Devastating Blow, Blade of Elendil and Routing Cry, e.g. if Devastating Blow procs the +5%, you might as well save Blade of Elendil for 5-8 seconds in case you proc the +5% evade again. That way you can keep the buff up as long as possible.

Group Survivability:
    Some DPS classes (especially Yellow traited champions) have a nice combo of dealing a lot of AoE damage and being able to deal even more damage when attacked. The rotation given in Personal Survivability can be useful here as well but instead of targeting yourself with SotD you should target the DPS player and simply let him tank. You should then focus on keeping him alive with buffs+WoC while keeping mobs off the rest of the group and bring them to the DPS player.

The classic IHW+LS combo is a really good emergency combination for increasing your groups survivability for a short while.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Apr 24 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Traits:
    Considering how good survivability is for Captains you can easily consider letting go of some traits e.g. +5% crit defence and instead put some points into LtC or HoH.

My personal favorites are:
    Martial Prowess: The +15% attack speed simply makes your Captain a lot more responsive and increases DPS.
    Skilled Hands + Dignified Spectacke + Gallant Display: These traits increase your outgoing healing and gives you Gallant Display, which is useful because of its rather high damage and AoE heal to build even more threat.
    Penetrating Cry: For easier instances you may want to get this trait to increase your Fellowships attack speed and thus their DPS.

LIs:
    Weapon:

I suggest getting Parry and Morale as passives on your 2hander. Using a Great Sword gives an additional +2% parry (which is not subject to cap, you can get up to 32% parry this way)
    Legacies:
    Melee Skill Power Cost is useful if you have problems with managing power
    Pressing Attack max target is really good for AoE threat, can make Pressing Attack have up to 7 targets.
    +crit rating Pressing Attack and Devastating Blow is good to increase chance of defeat events from DB/PA and doesn't require you to put points into it.
    +Defensive Strike Armour buff is good to increase your armor and doesn't require you to put points into the legacy.
    +Bleed damage is really good for single target threat
    +Routing Cry damage is useful for some extra AoE threat
    + Battle State Duration is nice to get 5s extra on Battle States. When you use Devastating Blow or Pressing Attack you get Battle hardened, and that gives you +5% outgoing healing and -5% incoming damage for 10s. The Battle State Duration legacy can then extend that 10s duration to 15s

Emblem:
    +duration to Last Stand and Shield of the Dunedain is a given, those legacies improve LS and SotD so much
    I went for Melee and Vocal healing to get more healing and more threat from healing
    Lastly I went for Light-type Damage and DB/PA damage for the extra damage and threat

Evasion:
    As for gearing your Captain, I suggest focusing a lot on Evade rating for several reasons:
    1. Evade works against ranged attacks (Parry does not)
    2. Evade works from all angles (Parry and Block only works against frontal attacks)
    3. While getting 10% partial Block and Parry is fairly easy, it is a bit harder for Evade. As partials are our primary way of getting Defeat Events, maxing our partials is probably a good idea.
    4. Getting disarmed with a 2hander makes you unable to both block and parry, leaving evade as your only defensive for the duration

On Guard:
    On Guard is really nice for LoM Captains, -10% power cost can make a lot of difference if you don't have powerhealing classes in your group. Also, -5% incoming damage (check the Damage Source panel on character sheet) and extra Parry rating is always nice.
    Last edited by Elrantiri; Apr 24 2014 at 02:40 PM.

Good overview! Keep them coming

Also, I think is a good thing to add: The legacy 'Battle States and Defeat Response Duration', the LoM cappies lack ways to get the 'Battle-readied' state. So getting this helps to maintain the 'Tatics: On guard' and the 'Battle-hardened' (-5% damage, +5% outgoing heals) buffs. The base duration is 10s and the legacy adds +10s this is enough time to 'Battle-shout' to come out of cooldown and get the buffs again if needed.

If Turbine changes the difficulty of the end-game (making raids need real tanks/healers), the LoM cappies would be so good in off-tanking! He can take the adds from the squishies while making the main tank even more tanky. And I'm wondering if LoM cappies will be able to main-tank hard content? I think they will, but not sure.

Thank you Mera!
    Always lot of things to learn from your posts.

Here's some questions
    _ I tested few minutes ago with an NPC and combatanalysis and seems that IHW reduces of 10\20% every damage you get, not only the ones from your fellow, can you confirm this?
    _ Tactic : On Guard bonus gives "+3% defence". What kind of bonus is that?
    _ Someone ever finished the +5 SotD BB jewelry bonus? I'm getting only the earring and nothing else....

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon1993 View Post
    Good overview! Keep them coming

Also, I think is a good thing to add: The legacy 'Battle States and Defeat Response Duration', the LoM cappies lack ways to get the 'Battle-readied' state. So getting this helps to maintain the 'Tatics: On guard' and the 'Battle-hardened' (-5% damage, +5% outgoing heals) buffs. The base duration is 10s and the legacy adds +10s this is enough time to 'Battle-shout' to come out of cooldown and get the buffs again if needed.

If Turbine changes the difficulty of the end-game (making raids need real tanks/healers), the LoM cappies would be so good in off-tanking! He can take the adds from the squishies while making the main tank even more tanky. And I'm wondering if LoM cappies will be able to main-tank hard content? I think they will, but not sure.
    Ah yes, I'll add that legacy to the list

My understanding is that Captains should be able to maintank raids (and currently I think they are), so if 12.2 reduces our ability to tank too much we'll probably need to have a talk with RockX :P

Quote Originally Posted by AlmericITA View Post
    Thank you Mera!
    Always lot of things to learn from your posts.

Here's some questions
    _ I tested few minutes ago with an NPC and combatanalysis and seems that IHW reduces of 10\20% every damage you get, not only the ones from your fellow, can you confirm this?
    _ Tactic : On Guard bonus gives "+3% defence". What kind of bonus is that?
    _ Someone ever finished the +5 SotD BB jewelry bonus? I'm getting only the earring and nothing else....
    You're welcome

Well it's a bit uncertain when it comes to IHW and On Guard

Under Mitigation (character panel) we currently have Damage Source and Damage Type. IHW seems to add 20% to all three under Damage Source, so it should be reducing all incoming damage by 20% (and I'm 99% sure it does). If you pop To Arms, IHW w/20% and SotD you'll have at least 105% damage reduction and you seem to be taking zero damage except DoTs (and I truly don't understand why DoTs would still do damage!), so it makes for some powerful combinations albeit only for a short duration.

On Guard 3% defence seems to add to the very same areas as IHW 20% bonus does, as bonuses to Incoming Damage under the Damage Source panel. Even though it's only supposed to give 3% defence it seems to give -5% incoming melee damage and -3% to ranged and tactical.

Finally, for finishing BB sets I suggest doing BG T2HM. It gives 48 seals if you do all three boss challenges, so 3-4 runs will have you covered for 1 BB jewellery, which you can barter at Helms Deep near the reputation vendors. I would only do it if you only need 1-2 pieces though.