We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

New to LOTRO, Experianced in RP however would like some help

Hello there!

I'll try to keep this as brief as I can as it's quite simple what I am looking for and that is role play and some advice / directions towards guilds (Kinships I think they're called in lotro) and some general advice as to what the RP community tends to focus around here. I have been role playing for 4 years in other MMOs Such as World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic so I know how to RP, I have read all three Lotr books as well as the hobbit book along with some general reading from various wiki sights about Lotr lore since it just fascinates me in general so I think it's safe to say I know abit about the lore as well.

Now if it isn't clear by now I have never, NEVER played LotrO before, heck, I downloaded the game last night and it's just finishing it's installation right now so I haven't even made a character yet but I wanted to ask a few things here before I do since any character I make in an MMO has it's race / class based on what RP is available and which RP among those that are available do I want to join so I generally have the same few questions:

1) What races are the most populer? Experiance from 3 other MMOs have shown me Humans and Elves (Or the elf equivelant) are always the most populer while things like Dwarves tend to be underplayed but I have no idea if thats the same here

2) What theme of RP is the most prominent? For example I count Military, Research, Guard, Adventuring and Trading as different themes of RP. In WoW for example military guilds are the most common while trading guilds are very few, same in Star Wars: TOR with all it's secret agencies.

3) Could you name me please the 3-5 best established / longest running kinships? I find that by attempting to join a well established guild for my first one when playing a new MMO allows me to get used to the community and the RP style of the game since I can ask the older members questions as well as have some RP readily there for me that I can try out before I decide to throw myself in there and create story arcs of my own.

That's pretty much the gist of what I am trying to ask, any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Threndual; Jan 08 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Threndual View Post

1) What races are the most populer? Experiance from 3 other MMOs have shown me Humans and Elves (Or the elf equivelant) are always the most populer while things like Dwarves tend to be underplayed but I have no idea if thats the same here

2) What theme of RP is the most prominent? For example I count Military, Research, Guard, Adventuring and Trading as different themes of RP. In WoW for example military guilds are the most common while trading guilds are very few, same in Star Wars: TOR with all it's secret agencies.

3) Could you name me please the 3-5 best established / longest running kinships? I find that by attempting to join a well established guild for my first one when playing a new MMO allows me to get used to the community and the RP style of the game since I can ask the older members questions as well as have some RP readily there for me that I can try out before I decide to throw myself in there and create story arcs of my own.

That's pretty much the gist of what I am trying to ask, any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
    Hi there welcome to LOTRO.

1) Human is by far the most popular of the 4 races. The other races are seen a lot more frequently that you might expect having read the books. Its one of the major differences between the books/films and the game. For example in Bree in game you will see plenty of all four races whereas in the films it was mainly menfolk and a few hobbits/dwarves and certainly not any elves.

2) Kinship themes are very varied but there generally tends to be an uplift in kinships surrounding the latest expansion. So at the moment we have seen more Rohirrim kinships come into existence, and no doubt soon there could be a few more Gondorian ones appear.

3) I would get a feel for the game first before deciding upon kinships. Bree is the most populated starting area and the Prancing Pony is a favourite haunt of most Breelanders, you get a lot of people here. Bree is a good place to start getting a feel for the game it has a good level of role-play but from a personal point of view it can be varied in quality from the good to the really awful.

Regards
    K

Oh there is a seperate site that is used by a LOT of roleplaying kinships as a way to support the in character activities of their guilds and players. Its called the Laurelin Archives, and is really worth taking a good look at.
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar

Hi there, and thanks for the reply. I have actually already been on that website and it reminds me ALOT of the World of Warcraft website "The Argent Archives" for the Argent Dawn role play server I assume the same people run them. As for starting out in bree thanks again, I think I will give that place a look as well as the tavern however as someone who has been a fan of LOTR since I was 8 (Ten years ago) I personally cringe at the idea of elves in bree unless they are just passing through or need to urgently find help. Elf was actually the race I was planning to start as simply because I prefer acrobatics, magic and stealth over a knight in shining armour charging the front lines (Although rohirrim are by far the best humans out there).

However one other question did spring to mind, will it affect my RP possibities if I dont have any of the expansions and am not a VIP member? I intend to get both but I do not get paid until the end of the month.

Hello! Welcome!

Khalis has already answered the questions very well. I'll go ahead and add the Dwarves are pretty common in RP, with multiple heavy-rp all dwarf kinships on the various servers.

As for acrobatics,stealth, and magic versus knight in shining armor, there's not much distinction in men versus elves in those cases. (Gondor > Rohan, just saying. )

Not being a VIP shouldn't make much of a difference. I'm completely free to play, and there's plenty of RP opportunities. Might not be as many regions for it, but there's a lot that can be done in Eriador itself.

Thanks for the info, I think I might be best of finding out myself ingame from here on, unless anybody has anything else to add that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Elben View Post
    (Gondor > Rohan, just saying. )

Just wanted to say thank's one last time. I have played abit of the game and have already changed my mind entirely about it. The elf standing still pose is just awful, the hunter combat is buggy (it never shoots when I tell it to) and found the first bit of story for elves simply dreadful. I'll try again with a different race some other time methinks.

Your welcome.

I would just go with whatever character conception you feel comfortable with. I am sure the roleplay will soon build around it.
    Khalis - A Captain of Imladris and Maethor of House Vanimar