We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Is DF a sham?

Is DF a sham?

Got jumped by a group of monsters , np just jump behind a boulder and hit DF right? That is what i did. When i saw the splash screen i figured i was good as i had about 3k when it went away. This is what followed

[01/07 03:49:07 PM] Ravenreborn applied a benefit with Desperate Flight on Ravenreborn.
    [01/07 03:49:07 PM] Too far away.
    [01/07 03:49:07 PM] The Maldorr Archer scored a hit with Poison Arrow Attack on Ravenreborn.
    [01/07 03:49:08 PM] The Maldorr Archer scored a hit with a minor ranged attack on Ravenreborn for 304 Common damage to Morale.
    [01/07 03:49:08 PM] Búrzash scored a hit with Deep Wound on Ravenreborn for 125 Common damage to Morale.
    [01/07 03:49:29 PM] The Maldorr Archer tried to use Poison Arrow on Ravenreborn but he resisted the attempt.
    [01/07 03:49:29 PM] Búrzash scored a hit with Deep Wound on Ravenreborn for 125 Common damage to Morale.
    [01/07 03:49:29 PM] Búrzash scored a hit with Deep Wound on Ravenreborn for 125 Common damage to Morale.
    [01/07 03:49:29 PM] Búrzash scored a hit with Poison Arrow on Ravenreborn for 46 Common damage to Morale.
    [01/07 03:49:29 PM] Búrzash scored a hit with Poison Arrow on Ravenreborn for 46 Common damage to Morale.
    [01/07 03:49:29 PM] The Maldorr Archer incapacitated you.
    [01/07 03:49:45 PM] You succumb to your wounds.

I can understand the few attacks when i hit DF but 21 seconds AFTER i leave the area i keep getting hit? Whats the point of having a skill that allows you to get away if your only going to die anyway? Or it just me ....

You were hit by dot's. They don't just go away or stop damaging you simply because you ran from battle.

You needed to use a potion to remove one of the Damage Over Time. Ready with the healing potion if necessary.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

This can also happen if the rez circle is fairly close to where you were fighting - the warbands will some times remain in combat and follow you there.
    [COLOR=#ffd700]I'm a Banana[/COLOR]

As the posts above explain, Desperate Flight does not remove the negative effects (such as damage over time or other nasty debuffs) from you. It does look that you were hit by the mobs at the same moment when you tried to escape. Did you experience a lag maybe? Even without lag, porting to the rez circle takes some time and depending on your PC and server performance it could well be about 20s. This would cause the DoTs to accumulate and appear all at the same time in the combat log.

I would say, it was just a very unlucky situation.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtarel - Hunter / Lunasa - Minstrel
    Ishtaridas - LRM 105 / Ishtari - RNK 105 / Ishti - BRG 105 / Cabernetta - GRD 105 / Medovinus - BRN 105
    The Mellowship || Eldar -> Evernight

Been there many times when I was a young hunter. I used to tried and put myself to the limit of what I could pull and kill. Very embarrassing when I was ported to the rez circle only to die in the rez circle. Back then we had the 10 min walk of shame.

Now days I rarely use it unless I want to quickly get to a spot in the map.

Which makes me wonder if they will ever bring back DF in combat at the moors? I mean really an escape that has a 30 min CD is OP? Let us talk about the hips by some creep classes and their cool downs!
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyx View Post
    Which makes me wonder if they will ever bring back DF in combat at the moors? I mean really an escape that has a 30 min CD is OP? Let us talk about the hips by some creep classes and their cool downs!
    It was completely over powered. You could not kill a Hunter. The Hunter would only come out of of GV when Desperate Flight was available.

Note: Back in the old days about the only way to kill a Hunter was sneak up on them with a Warg pack. You knock the Hunter down with a stun. You had to dog pile and kill the Hunter before they got back up and hit Desperate Flight. Most Hunters were too smart to stand some place where you could get 10 - 15 - 20 wargs around the Hunter. The Hunters would stand in a group. They would keep firing Rain of Arrows on "unoccupied" ground near them. All they had to do was hit a stealth Warg. It was Hunters and Wargs running in all directions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    It was completely over powered. You could not kill a Hunter. The Hunter would only come out of of GV when Desperate Flight was available.

Note: Back in the old days about the only way to kill a Hunter was sneak up on them with a Warg pack. You knock the Hunter down with a stun. You had to dog pile and kill the Hunter before they got back up and hit Desperate Flight. Most Hunters were too smart to stand some place where you could get 10 - 15 - 20 wargs around the Hunter. The Hunters would stand in a group. They would keep firing Rain of Arrows on "unoccupied" ground near them. All they had to do was hit a stealth Warg. It was Hunters and Wargs running in all directions.

If a Hunter is going to be stupid enough to only come out every 30 minutes then that's their look out. All they are doing is effectively neutralizing themselves for huge chunks of time after every DF.

That said DF can die as a skill as far as I'm concerned. I've never thought much of it. Much rather have a genuine, "Oh clucking bell" skill to help with survivability.

Like the other classes do.

Quote Originally Posted by Radbug View Post
    If a Hunter is going to be stupid enough to only come out every 30 minutes then that's their look out. All they are doing is effectively neutralizing themselves for huge chunks of time after every DF.

That said DF can die as a skill as far as I'm concerned. I've never thought much of it. Much rather have a genuine, "Oh clucking bell" skill to help with survivability.

Like the other classes do.
    Heh. I've always used DF as a convenient "return to a rez circle that's usually near the quest giver". The D in DF stands for my desparate need for a bio break.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    Heh. I've always used DF as a convenient "return to a rez circle that's usually near the quest giver". The D in DF stands for my desparate need for a bio break.
    I DFed once... right into the path of Cledwun.

BANG.

Funniest thing to happen to me in Helm's Deep so far.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Radbug View Post
    You have to understand their motivation. These Hunters wanted to keep the really high PvP ratings. Any death dropped your rating. Death was unacceptable. They only came out when Desperate Flight was available.

I never encountered a Hunter as a Creep that did not try to Desperate Flight when they were realized they were going to die. Unless of course their Hunter was unable to execute a skill.

It is the same motivation that drives PvP players to get involved in farming. The player wants the rank and or other rewards without having any risk, little to no skill needed, minimize time investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    You have to understand their motivation. These Hunters wanted to keep the really high PvP ratings. Any death dropped your rating. Death was unacceptable. They only came out when Desperate Flight was available.

I never encountered a Hunter as a Creep that did not try to Desperate Flight when they were realized they were going to die. Unless of course their Hunter was unable to execute a skill.

It is the same motivation that drives PvP players to get involved in farming. The player wants the rank and or other rewards without having any risk, little to no skill needed, minimize time investment.
    Oh, I understand it perfectly well - not exactly complex is it?

I was just critiquing the skill.

I am sure that DF skill was abused by some and though I was a new Hunter in the moors at that time I never came out of GV just when my 45 min CD was done (it was lowered to 30 around that time). And those who never want to die shouldn't play in the moors.

But with wargs hips ability and short cool down it is way more OP now. I don't know how many times a warg is down to 1k morale or less and just disappears. A few minutes later I find the same warg (well when stealth tracking would work) and repeat the same fight and results. That is until three or four of the warg friends finishes me off but that is a different story!

Right now we are the only class without that escape. I guess if you call a broken Cry of the Hunter then maybe I am wrong. I think it is time to bring it back. There is no leader board. We can lie now and say how many kills we have had and renown we gained and no one can check!

I am being somewhat tongue and cheek but I just don't think the reasons to remove it are still present. But I would be happy if my CotH skill worked and if my stealth tracking worked. Then I might venture back out!
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....