We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Not downloading to Mac

    ***I am terribly computer challenged***

    I have a Mac desktop and have never really played computer games, but was really excited when I heard I could play this on Mac because I am a big LotR fan. Anyways, when I go to download the game, it just doesn't do anything, and when I try to "play instantly" on mac, it says "run postupgrade script for client 4.46. Any help?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by surfandaztecs View Post
    ***I am terribly computer challenged***

    I have a Mac desktop and have never really played computer games, but was really excited when I heard I could play this on Mac because I am a big LotR fan. Anyways, when I go to download the game, it just doesn't do anything, and when I try to "play instantly" on mac, it says "run postupgrade script for client 4.46. Any help?
    What level of the Mac OS are you running? The minimum version is OSX 10.7.6.

    I would recommend using the Steam download... much faster
    Go to http://store.steampowered.com/ -- in the upper right corner click on "Install Steam" -- the download is "quick" -- 1.5 MB for the Mac Client.

    Once the client is installed, select "Store" and search for "Lord of the Rings Online"

    Simply click the "Play for Free - Play Game" button.

    This will begin the 17.8 GB download!!! Depending upon the speed of your ISP, this download may take from about 2 hours to much, much longer!

    Once the download is completed, and you launch the "launcher," the patching/update process will begin. Because the current downloads (both at lotro.com and at steam) are more than 18 months out of date -- TWO expansions and multiple updates and patches -- must be "patched." This is roughly another 7 GB download and another 2+ hours!

    This is the fastest way to get started. The "Happy Cloud" (Play Instantly) is just as long... but in your case there is a problem.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

    Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Valamar View Post
    What level of the Mac OS are you running? The minimum version is OSX 10.7.6.

    I would recommend using the Steam download... much faster
    Go to http://store.steampowered.com/ -- in the upper right corner click on "Install Steam" -- the download is "quick" -- 1.5 MB for the Mac Client.

    Once the client is installed, select "Store" and search for "Lord of the Rings Online"

    Simply click the "Play for Free - Play Game" button.

    This will begin the 17.8 GB download!!! Depending upon the speed of your ISP, this download may take from about 2 hours to much, much longer!

    Once the download is completed, and you launch the "launcher," the patching/update process will begin. Because the current downloads (both at lotro.com and at steam) are more than 18 months out of date -- TWO expansions and multiple updates and patches -- must be "patched." This is roughly another 7 GB download and another 2+ hours!

    This is the fastest way to get started. The "Happy Cloud" (Play Instantly) is just as long... but in your case there is a problem.
    Honestly don't even know what I have because I never really used my computer besides school work. It's a 2008 Mac desktop...

  4. #4
    I think I have OS X, i that makes sense haha

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by surfandaztecs View Post
    Honestly don't even know what I have because I never really used my computer besides school work. It's a 2008 Mac desktop...
    From 2008, I assume you have an iMac. Depending on WHICH iMac model, you may not be able to run the current version of OSX. (Mavericks, OSX 10.9.1)
    2008 is borderline between PowerPC and Intel based Macs, yours could be either.
    The LOTRO Mac Client requires an "Intel Mac," and a current version of OSX.

    In the upper left corner of your screen click on the Apple. In the resulting drop-down menu (Apple Menu), select "About this Mac."

    The resulting pop-up box will tell you which version of OSX you are running.
    Continuing on from there, you can find the Model "name" of your system.

    The minimum version of OSX which will run LOTRO is: OSX 10.7.5
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

    Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


  6. #6
    Damnit, its a 10.5.something

    I'm SOL, but I can download the game on my fiancee's laptop and hope she doesn't get too mad. It's a 10.8.3, it won't slow it down too much, will it?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by surfandaztecs View Post
    Damnit, its a 10.5.something

    I'm SOL, but I can download the game on my fiancee's laptop and hope she doesn't get too mad. It's a 10.8.3, it won't slow it down too much, will it?
    The version of OSX has to do with certain supporting functions, not speed as such.

    10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) is several releases behind. 10.9.1 (Mavericks) is current.

    The biggest impact on playing speed is the actual hard drive status -- how close to full, and therefor how fragmented -- and the basic specs of the particular system.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

    Val - Man Minstrel (91)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (105)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (105)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

    Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

    "Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"


 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload