We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarr123 View Post
    Since the change this side quest is now 100% imposable to do and get anything higher then bronze.
    Last time I did it (with my Guardian), I got a Gold medal solo, and I played bad.
    So Platinum is certainly still possible alone (depending on the class)
    Last edited by Castorix; Jul 18 2014 at 03:55 AM.

I watched a vid where a duo was able to get Plat on The Final Blockade quest. It was interesting in that the players apparently made use of the medium ballista to supplement their taking down the orc champions REAL FAST, like immediately -- this on the central side of the ballistas, presumably the partner did likewise. Then the player ran to the far side (the more hidden side) where he had dropped a trip trap and a bear trap then he (champ or guardian) could smack down the pair that came up that side.

The ballista blast meant the orc champ was gone leaving the player to have to deal with one orc champ who had already taken some damage from the bear trap. The other player had to do likewise. The ballista that the player was defending took damage during all this but it didn't look like it reached the 25% level.

It was not all super smooth, but it did show that, with a bit of luck, a duo can take care of the ballistas. The trolls were mostly, but not always, ignored. YMMV.

Gotta try this. At least, it looks doable with a duo. Solo, I don't think can plat this but that is just me.

Hello,

It's possible to get a Plat for this side quest. After some experiments and trying out strategies, it's possible to get a plat on this with some advance planning.

I have gotten a plat on several alts with a duo partner:

LM/Champion
    Champion/Captain
    Runekeeper/burg

and even on guardian/guardian duo! (thanks Bana!) So it's not necessary to have a healer-type (Loremaster/Captain/Runekeeper) for this. However, I will grant that it's easier to have a healing type as a duo partner but not necessary with a bit of planning & luck & with an awesome duo partner.

Here is a general sketch of what I usually set up in preparing for the side quest if focusing only on that one. When I'm focusing on the side-quest, I just ignore everything else aside from doing the minimal necessary to keep the npcs alive/slowing down the mobs on the wall.

This is not a perfect strategy but this have worked for me. You are free to revise or follow some of the suggestions/steps.

1. I go with a hybrid build of officer/engineer but I go with tripwire maximized out and with CD maximized out.
    2. For commanders at the top of the side-quest location and for the commander on the staircase (on your left), I command to set to two-handed axes. On top, I command priority target warriors. But sometimes I forget to do that so it's probably not necessary.
    3. I upgrade both ballista, including armour & speed & damage. I also turn both ballistas so they are aimed at the outer part of the wall. When the mobs spawn, ballistas are fired by me & duo partner and then I & duo partner focus on the mobs in the middle.
    4. When the mobs are dead, use the time to repair the ballista(s). If there is a healing type duo partner, the partner can hot tip both ballistas and heal them up, etc.
    5. When the ballistas are repaired, etc. load them up and have them ready.
    6. While waiting for the mobs, use the time to lay down tripwires in the middle (where the middle mobs spawn).
    7. If you got a hunter or a LM as a duo partner, can't hurt to throw down traps/tar in addition to BB skills (traps, etc) on the stairs for the trolls. Tar is nice.
    8. Sometimes it may be helpful to put down trip-wires on the stairs to slow down the trolls, but the priority for trip-wires should be in the middle. Trip-wires need to be placed in both middle spot spawns and kept up for the duration of the side-quest.
    9. Finally, be awesome and have a mint julep.

p.s. I'm not sure of the plural spelling of ballista. Ballistas? Ballistae?

Best of luck and please do let me know if you have any questions.

- Ve, Crickhollow Server

Quote Originally Posted by JustVe View Post
    Hello,

It's possible to get a Plat for this side quest. After some experiments and trying out strategies, it's possible to get a plat on this with some advance planning.

I have gotten a plat on several alts with a duo partner:
    That was all nice advice there, but all for duoing it. Solo platinum, I am not quite sure how that is possible without moving those ballistae a bit so you don't always have to run around the long way. It gets easier when you only guard one ballista and don't even try to save another, as if you try that, you probably end up losing both ballistae. Guard one of them and don't let mobs hit it much at all since they get broken almost immediately. Also put some traps to the way to main keep so goblin sappers can't burn the barricades there. Doing this should net you gold medal.

I haven't done Epic Battles for quite a while now and they have changed a bit since, but I managed to get 120+ promotion points completely solo with ALL 9 classes (maybe that's why I don't feel like doing them much now lol), but I know that I never got better than gold from The Final Blockade (solo). Luckily soloing 3-man Glittering Caves at least used to be quite a bit easier than solo version of that Big Battle, so I got my extra points there, and didn't have to get platinum from ALL side quests of ALL solo battles

Hiya Gilean!

I agree that Blockade is one of the few side-quests that it's next to impossible to get plat on if soloing. If someone can pull it off, then major props. ^^ I do think that it's possible to pull a plat off with a dedicated healer, say a RK, Mini, Cap and maybe LM, focusing on both ballistas while commanding the npcs to kill the mobs.

I may work on the Blockade and see if it's possible to plat it solo.

However, it's unfortunate that the side-quest is designed that way as it makes it difficult for some classes if not a healer-type/capable of heals or with a duo partner.

Quote Originally Posted by JustVe View Post
    Hiya Gilean!

I agree that Blockade is one of the few side-quests that it's next to impossible to get plat on if soloing. If someone can pull it off, then major props. ^^ I do think that it's possible to pull a plat off with a dedicated healer, say a RK, Mini, Cap and maybe LM, focusing on both ballistas while commanding the npcs to kill the mobs.

I may work on the Blockade and see if it's possible to plat it solo.

However, it's unfortunate that the side-quest is designed that way as it makes it difficult for some classes if not a healer-type/capable of heals or with a duo partner.
    Before U14 it wouldn't work with healer either, mostly because what happened was both ballistas got attacked at once, and they had so few HP that in order to be close enough for one ballista to heal it (a lot of line-of-sight problems there...), the other got already destroyed. After that, it was not a problem anymore to focus only on one ballista, but unfortunately it meant only gold, no matter how well you played after one ballista was down :/

But now, after U14, this *should* be doable, according to patch notes (haven't tested it myself yet). Mobs do not attack ballistas immediately from the behind but run to the centre first, and THEN attack ballista. That should give us enough time to attack those orcs. Also, there should be an extra soldier there too which would help with DPS.

On a side note, another quite difficult side-quest to solo (Defilers in the Water in Deeping-Coomb) is now easier to solo. Darkwaters move slower now and they spawn slower as well, so I was able to get platinum from that one as well finally.

On another side note, I got 1st Age symbol and platinum reward as well when I completed that quest, but it was only lvl 95 one... Probably because I just hit lvl 100 while completing that quest. I wonder if anyone has got lvl 100 1st Age symbol from Epic Battles yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilean-EU View Post
    Before U14 it wouldn't work with healer either, mostly because what happened was both ballistas got attacked at once, and they had so few HP that in order to be close enough for one ballista to heal it (a lot of line-of-sight problems there...), the other got already destroyed. After that, it was not a problem anymore to focus only on one ballista, but unfortunately it meant only gold, no matter how well you played after one ballista was down :/

But now, after U14, this *should* be doable, according to patch notes (haven't tested it myself yet). Mobs do not attack ballistas immediately from the behind but run to the centre first, and THEN attack ballista. That should give us enough time to attack those orcs. Also, there should be an extra soldier there too which would help with DPS.

On a side note, another quite difficult side-quest to solo (Defilers in the Water in Deeping-Coomb) is now easier to solo. Darkwaters move slower now and they spawn slower as well, so I was able to get platinum from that one as well finally.

On another side note, I got 1st Age symbol and platinum reward as well when I completed that quest, but it was only lvl 95 one... Probably because I just hit lvl 100 while completing that quest. I wonder if anyone has got lvl 100 1st Age symbol from Epic Battles yet?
    Yes, someone claimed on a post that I recently saw getting a level 100 FA symbol. As you said, you only get 100 rewards if you are level 100 at the start of the instance.

Worth noting (at least in my experience) that the BB scaling jewelry is a jump from 95-100. As in, running a BB at level 98 grants 95 gear, not 100. Therefore it is recommended to level 100 before doing any BBs.
    ~Rank 11 Loremaster, Landroval~

~Rank 12 Warg, Landroval~

Quote Originally Posted by Spilo View Post
    Yes, someone claimed on a post that I recently saw getting a level 100 FA symbol. As you said, you only get 100 rewards if you are level 100 at the start of the instance.

Worth noting (at least in my experience) that the BB scaling jewelry is a jump from 95-100. As in, running a BB at level 98 grants 95 gear, not 100. Therefore it is recommended to level 100 before doing any BBs.
    Yes, it has always been like that since HD launch: for example in order to get lvl 95 jewelry you had to be 95: if you ran BB's at 94, you would get lvl 90 jewelry.

I was running that battle just to get some XP to reach lvl 100 and start those Dol Amroth dailies, but that's just about my luck: during a last nanosecond that I still was lvl 99 I was actually able to win a 1st Age symbol, and it's very likely that I won't ever see a lvl 100 symbol at all

I just tested it yesterday solo with my Champ : it is too easy now
    The mobs did not even attack the ballistas (or maybe have been killed too quickly by NPCs), which was always my main reason for failure.
    Last edited by Castorix; Jul 20 2014 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castorix View Post
    I just tested it yesterday solo with my Champ : it is too easy now
    The mobs did not even attack the ballistas (or maybe have been killed too quickly by NPCs), which was always my main reason for failure.
    Well, it was probably a bug.
    I retried and some mobs attacked the East ballista while I was on the West one.
    I got 25% damage on this ballista and only Gold medal.
    But it is definitively a lot easier now.
    Last edited by Castorix; Jul 20 2014 at 06:21 AM.

They do indeed attack the ballista, just take some time to do so. I don't find it too easy, as practically all side quests are easy now, but this is because I am a rank 6 engineer, who has the ability to buff up soldiers, and knows every side quest like the back of my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Spilo View Post
    They do indeed attack the ballista, just take some time to do so. I don't find it too easy, as practically all side quests are easy now, but this is because I am a rank 6 engineer, who has the ability to buff up soldiers, and knows every side quest like the back of my hand.
    Haven't still tried it yet after U14, but just wanted to point out that this is also how it should be. Solo player, if ranked 5 or 6 should be able to pretty much breeze through the side quests, meaning that if the player does not make but few mistakes, it should mean platinum from side quests and from main quests. However, at ranks 0-2, even for an experienced player, "all platinum run" might still prove almost impossible.

*IF* quests would still be very hard for Rank 6 player, that would mean many players would never bother playing through ranks 1-5 because they couldn't get anything done, at least when done solo. It's just we easily kind of "forget" how it was when we were Rank 0-1

Haven't still tried it yet after U14, but just wanted to point out that this is also how it should be. Solo player, if ranked 5 or 6 should be able to pretty much breeze through the side quests, meaning that if the player does not make but few mistakes, it should mean platinum from side quests and from main quests. However, at ranks 0-2, even for an experienced player, "all platinum run" might still prove almost impossible.

*IF* quests would still be very hard for Rank 6 player, that would mean many players would never bother playing through ranks 1-5 because they couldn't get anything done, at least when done solo. It's just we easily kind of "forget" how it was when we were Rank 0-1
    Exactly. Getting to where I am now took a lot of "work" and practice, and I should be reward for it. I am, and like you said, that's how it should be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2