We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crafting needs a serious makeover

What bugs me is the shear boredom of crafting, its one thing to have the system that we have but to then stick 3, 4, 6 day locks on item crafts is beyond me, if ive spent my time gathering my resources and spent the money either buying items from players or from suppliers i should be able to craft what i want when i want...

I have multiple toons and its bad enough trying to get emerald shards, but when i managed to loot 2 in a few days i figured cool, il make a couple of cloaks for my hunter and rk, but no, they require a Large scroll and im now on a 6 day lock before making my next, which means that if i want to fully kit out 2 of my toons, just 2, with cloaks and light/medium armor, I have to wait almost 64 days....that's a joke.

Plus there are way to many items for each craft profession, not items to craft but different items required to craft with and upgrades, ie: Brushed hides to glazed hides to finished hides, seriously, do we need that many variations just to consume all our resources, to then have to buy another 3-4 items from the supplier to craft something that then goes onto a 6 day lock.....

Crafting in many MMOs has always been a fun side game that reaps some benefits in the pursuit for better items looted from instances, in some games its the top level of gear....

In LOTRO you are provided with mediocre rewards for a great deal of effort, which 9/10 are wiped out as soon as any Looted Armors/ Wea[ons, Pockets , Jewelry are made available.

Dont even get me started on Cook, and farming, I simply refuse to play mine as im not interested in spending 200g on ingredients, then watching my character bake for 2 hours straight to level up, there is nothing fun about it, and it needs looking at seriously...

JMO...

So other than removing the timers on the guild recipes, what other suggestions do you have for this makeover?

LOTROs crafting is not great but how would you suggest making it better without throwing it out and starting all over again.

And your comments about mediocre rewards is not true at all, on level crafting gear is twice as good as quest gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Evvis View Post
    What bugs me is the shear boredom of crafting, its one thing to have the system that we have but to then stick 3, 4, 6 day locks on item crafts is beyond me, if ive spent my time gathering my resources and spent the money either buying items from players or from suppliers i should be able to craft what i want when i want...
    1, 3, 7 days, nominally and after many complaints changed to be actually 18 hours, 2 days 18 hours, and 6 days 18 hours. Tends to prevent "schedule creep" and was a VERY welcome change.

I have multiple toons and its bad enough trying to get emerald shards, but when i managed to loot 2 in a few days i figured cool, il make a couple of cloaks for my hunter and rk, but no, they require a Large scroll and im now on a 6 day lock before making my next, which means that if i want to fully kit out 2 of my toons, just 2, with cloaks and light/medium armor, I have to wait almost 64 days....that's a joke.
    Okay...here's the deal. Every week, have each of your characters make major guild items for each tier you think you may be making actual items at. Them when you really want to make something, you already have a stack of guild rep items and the only cool down you're facing is on the recipe itself. This is generally known as "planning ahead".

I agree with the fact that crafting recipe cool downs take way too long. I don't agree that crafting is boring though.

One suggestion I have is that, we have the ability to trade up guild items. Small to meduim, medium to large. Why not have a trade down also? That way if you need smalls for something and you're out and are on cooldown, trade in a medium and you're all set. I find I use small items just about as soon as I make them, but have a surplus of mediums. Especially on my scholar.

more interesting recipes?

While I know we are all struggling with item slots... I do wonder what a bow made from walnut and yew would look like. Imagine, end-gamers traveling the lands in need of that long ago seen crafting material. Scholars, not just needing parchment, but a parchment blend? Maybe for those extra-rare guild items? Or, as another added crit enhancer?

Just an idea...
    Llesley Phillips of Silverload, Officer of Nimthos' Protectors of The Blessed Realm

~~~~~~ Previous Kin ~~~~~~
    Ceradwen Tinuriel's Oracles of the Golden Woods | Zola's Exile

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
    One suggestion I have is that, we have the ability to trade up guild items. Small to meduim, medium to large. Why not have a trade down also? That way if you need smalls for something and you're out and are on cooldown, trade in a medium and you're all set. I find I use small items just about as soon as I make them, but have a surplus of mediums. Especially on my scholar.
    One suggestion I have is that, we have the ability to trade up guild items.>You can already do that at your guild master.

I tend to find the crafting slightly tedious when you've missed it in the area you are questing in and you need to go back and do it again, mainly missing it because there are so little ore deposits in the areas and everyone fighting for them, however, this is my own choice not to do it at the time not the Turbines. I do agree the cool down time on certain items is a little over exaggerated and could be looked at again.

I don't find the steps you need to take to make things is boring or irrelevant i.e. the hides comment.

What I would like to see if at all possible is an unlimited ore/crafting weekend to help catch-up with mining/crafting that you have missed, currently I am in mirkwood looking for Khazad Scarn and it's taken me ages with so little ore deposits around, if I could just stand and craft at one deposit for 20 minutes I could master my level and move on to the next.

P.S. Can we get a look on some of the ore that seems to find itself stuck inside a tree or on a cliff face that makes it almost like an Olympic sport trying to get to it.
    Teknico | Findarto | Aphregus | Lasdan
    Gilrain

Quote Originally Posted by Teknico View Post
    What I would like to see if at all possible is an unlimited ore/crafting weekend to help catch-up with mining/crafting that you have missed, currently I am in mirkwood looking for Khazad Scarn and it's taken me ages with so little ore deposits around, if I could just stand and craft at one deposit for 20 minutes I could master my level and move on to the next.
    *Much* easier to find Khazad Skarn ore in Lothlorien than in Mirkwood.

P.S. Can we get a look on some of the ore that seems to find itself stuck inside a tree or on a cliff face that makes it almost like an Olympic sport trying to get to it.
    Use <del> u. Most times you can get the "hidden" node. Plus, if you bug it, someday Turbine will move the node spot a bit for the next player to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    *Much* easier to find Khazad Skarn ore in Lothlorien than in Mirkwood.

Use <del> u. Most times you can get the "hidden" node. Plus, if you bug it, someday Turbine will move the node spot a bit for the next player to come along.
    Thanks for the advise on the khazad skarn, i'm in Moria now, seems to be giving me more drops. Ah the good old Turbine bug reports...makes you wonder why there is in-game support there at all.
    Gilrain

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    The time is nicely reduced.
    Can you explain the necessity to wait 18 hours to craft a Small Expert Crest?
    Gilrain

I never really liked having the cooldowns be 3-6 days for things that I wanted to craft either. I also hate that now I cannot even craft for my own level (and use it) until I cannot level anymore. I level way too fast now as it is and I used to stop leveling just to craft my gear for the next 10 levels. I loved that. Besides those two things, I pretty much like it. Recommendation for crafting would be... hmm... perhaps make it go faster? Craft 3 pieces for the time it takes to make 1 now would be good.

There is no recomendation just a text wall rant.
    Yeah, it's what I think of as a drive-by rant. come in, complain, don't actually suggest anything, and never come back.

I've enjoyed reading the other responses, though

Quote Originally Posted by Zepherzaper View Post
    One suggestion I have is that, we have the ability to trade up guild items.>You can already do that at your guild master.
    I believe I said that. Then I suggested we add the ability to trade down as well.

Thanks for the advise on the khazad skarn, i'm in Moria now, seems to be giving me more drops. Ah the good old Turbine bug reports...makes you wonder why there is in-game support there at all.
    There is in-game support. It has a rather restricted area in which it works (basically: inter-player conflicts), but the bug reporting system doesn't feed into that. Bug reporting feeds to the developers to fix actual game features (code, art assets, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by whheydt View Post
    There is in-game support. It has a rather restricted area in which it works (basically: inter-player conflicts), but the bug reporting system doesn't feed into that. Bug reporting feeds to the developers to fix actual game features (code, art assets, etc.).
    Yes, I know there is in-game support, like you say it's very restricted..I'm still trying to suss out what the in-game support actually do as It's not what it says on the tin. The bug reporting tool should really feed in to the tickets in my personal opinion just good customer service to route the queries to the right departments, particularly when your spending 5-10 minutes to complete it.
    Gilrain

Of course i can, because i have timed the procedure in real life! It takes 1 whole day to make 1 very basic square of fabric if done by hand, no machines involved. I will not write the procedure step by step because there are thousands of videos about it on the internet. Here is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSrbqxJo29I
    Who cares how long it takes in real life, this is a game and quite frankly nothing else in the game is based on real time. If falling off a cliff really broke your leg, you wouldn't be able to run around within 2 minutes. Why then has the developers designed certain parts of the game to work almost like real life and other parts to just be simply "a game" ?
    Gilrain

Yes, I know there is in-game support, like you say it's very restricted..I'm still trying to suss out what the in-game support actually do as It's not what it says on the tin. The bug reporting tool should really feed in to the tickets in my personal opinion just good customer service to route the queries to the right departments, particularly when your spending 5-10 minutes to complete it.
    Personally, I believe the poor support experience, I.E. the "We can't help with gameplay" line trotted out so often, deters many people from leaving any meaningful feedback at all. I always have to consider whether I really can be bothered to jump through the hoops presented to me when I encounter a problem. This said, the last two times I have been helped quite quickly.

If you want useful customer feedback you need to provide an effective conduit, without barriers.

Well having a broken leg for two months would completely suck. But crafting should take more time

Quote Originally Posted by Danadur2248 View Post
    Well having a broken leg for two months would completely suck. But crafting should take more time
    We are not talking about the crafting taken more time, we're talking about the cool down on certain things where there is no valid reason for it.
    Gilrain

Of course i can, because i have timed the procedure in real life! It takes 1 whole day to make 1 very basic square of fabric if done by hand, no machines involved. I will not write the procedure step by step because there are thousands of videos about it on the internet. Here is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSrbqxJo29I
    Oh please! How realistic is the crafting hall in Aldburg with double doors leading in to the various disciplines but from the other side, that is the exit, has only one. I'm just saying.

I find Lotro crafting ok, but hate the tedious lengthy processing of raw materials ie: it takes an hour to process a stack of ore, ridiculous.
    Although I've gone through the pain of leveling every crafting profession with the guild, but the time gating for guild rep items especially the the top ones being 6 days and 18 hrs is insane and hardly worth the effort, particularly in HD and since they nerfed the shard drops.
    I've leveled several characters from 85 to 95, gathering every node i come across and each of my characters have only found 1 shard in those 10 lvls. I'm still going through the motions of crafting the guild items out of habit, but I've basically given up on it all. I feel all that hard work was for nothing really, when u can get some of the jewellery and armor for fraction of the price of the shards. And to think you need a shard for every pce of armor/jewelery/ weapon....well may as well forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evvis View Post
    This is intentional to have such a long cool down, as you are getting a guaranteed critical result. If you are in a hurry to make more item then use the single shot recipes.
    [COLOR=#ffd700]I'm a Banana[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by melyjely View Post
    This is intentional to have such a long cool down, as you are getting a guaranteed critical result. If you are in a hurry to make more item then use the single shot recipes.
    I'm sorry, your statement isn't making any sense to me, the question every one really wants answered is "Why is the cool down required and for so long " ?
    Gilrain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast