We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Helm's Deep Price

Hi guys,

I started playing LOTRO during Shadows of Angmar.

I hadn't played since then, but today I decided to get back into the game. I purchased the 'Expansion Quadpack' on the store for $39.99 AUD - no worries.
    I also purchased 60 days of game time via the store, for $29.99 AUD.

The $39.99 AUD & $29.99 AUD is exactly what I was charged via PayPal.

When I go to purchase the Helm's Deep Premium Edition expansion via the store, it tells me the price is $29.99 AUD, but when I actually click on 'buy now' and enter my account details, then click on the PayPal payment option, it tells me the game is $59.99 AUD. Why the extra $20 once I actually click on 'buy now?'

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

The standard price for HD premium edition is 60$, but Turbine were doing a special discount for Christmas which reduced the price to 30$. Though the sale ended some days ago (on December 29?), obsviously they forgot to update their Market offer back to the original price.

I reckon between the various season festivities and many Turbine employees taking some days off, this simply slipped past the marketing people. Hopefully they'll correct this little pmishap sooner rather than later.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyelir View Post
    The standard price for HD premium edition is 60$, but Turbine were doing a special discount for Christmas which reduced the price to 30$. Though the sale ended some days ago (on December 29?), obsviously they forgot to update their Market offer back to the original price.

I reckon between the various season festivities and many Turbine employees taking some days off, this simply slipped past the marketing people. Hopefully they'll correct this little pmishap sooner rather than later.
    Ahhh awesome, thanks for the reply That makes sense. In that case, perhaps I'll hold off purchasing HD until I reach that content, and hope it goes on special again at some stage in the meantime. I just started a new Mini, so I guess there's no rush.

Thanks again

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by zerofive View Post
    Ahhh awesome, thanks for the reply That makes sense. In that case, perhaps I'll hold off purchasing HD until I reach that content, and hope it goes on special again at some stage in the meantime. I just started a new Mini, so I guess there's no rush.

Thanks again
    What server are you on?
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    What server are you on?
    I'm on Meneldor. I have a level 8 Mini (never played much originally), so I created a new Mini, so I can go through the initial lore/starting quests again, which will hopefully act as a bit of a refresher.

Well shoot! I saw it was still on sale, couldn't buy it before this because I only get paid once a month. My heart did a leap when I saw it was still on sale (so I thought). I quickly calculated my budget and went to buy it, so happy and excited. When I got to the paypal page, however, it was the same for me (though basic version, instead). I am crushed! I cannot afford to spend the $40 on this, and had been so happy to think I could get it on sale now. I know they have things going on, but this kind of slip up is false advertising. Please, please correct the pricing in the store to reflect what is on the page, if only for a few days to make up! I really want to buy your game, but I'm not going to spend $40 I can't afford. Twenty I can eke by and eat soup for a week or something.

Same here and this is not allowed... well at least not in Germany.

They should give us the offer which is still visible in the official store right now.

/em looks not amused

Well, when I finally dealt with my CC updating issues (took me one week), it turns out the sales and TP bundles are over. It's very fair of you, Turbine. As ever.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0e21500000001317b/01006/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Glad it's not just me. I also did the same thinking I would be paying £14.99 and found I was going to be charged £29.99 when I got to the payment page. I'm really glad I was awake enough to stop myself automatically clicking the pay button. Very shabby on turbine's behalf and a practice very much frowned upon in the UK.

This is one sale they won't be making today. I shall wait until it is discounted again as soon as they see their sales of HD fall off a cliff.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000030ff/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

The Prancing Pony, usually I'm drunk in a corner
    Quote Originally Posted by annesta View Post

They should give us the offer which is still visible in the official store right now.

/em looks not amused
    Well, considering almost all Turbine employees are on Holiday vacation...
    Did everyone get a bugged signature? My BB code doesn't work anymore

Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

Heh. Looks like they fooled a few of us, at least. I've been debating on buying it for a bit, only expac I don't have, and even though I'm not anywhere near that level in-game I got some bonus pay and figured 'what the hell'. Then I go to ring up and it keeps trying to charge me 40, I figure I put more than one copy in the basket but nope. Trying to buy off an old sale. :P

Guess them cutting the price by half once shows they'll do it again, likely around the time I finally hit the point where I can play it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000010691b/01008/signature.png]Catiwen[/charsig]

I suspect what happened is that Turbine closed additional days due to horrid weather. So they did not have the staff update everything. The snow days pushed Turbine into the weekend. Hopefully, when Monday rolls around. The weather will be better. Turbine will be open.

I was looking at flights out of JFK to PBI on Saturday. That flight is delayed supposed to be in at 11:23 PM on Saturday. Currently delayed to 5:23 AM on Sunday. because I have to pick someone on Sunday. I hope the Sunday flight does not end up four hours or more late.

Weather must be really rotten up in the north eastern part of the country.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by annesta View Post
    This is a commonly believed urban myth.

Many people think that if something is advertised at a certain price then legally the vendor must sell it to them at that price. This is simply not true, although there are some companies that practice this as a policy.

The law (in Europe at least) states that the vendor is under no legal obligation to sell the item to anyone at all, so they simply withdraw the item from sale and then correct the price.
    How to get help on the Tech Forums and how to contact Turbine

Please reply to the topic or PM me if a solution I posted works for you: The more data I can gather the better I can help.

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post

Many people think that if something is advertised at a certain price then legally the vendor must sell it to them at that price. This is simply not true, although there are some companies that practice this as a policy.

The law (in Europe at least) states that the vendor is under no legal obligation to sell the item to anyone at all, so they simply withdraw the item from sale and then correct the price.

I'm not sure this is permitted, especially when some people probably hadn't noticed & paid full price.
    I'm guessing any american company acting this way would be in for a major suit.

The easiest way out for turbine would be to extend the offer for a few more days - It would save them more in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    I suspect what happened is that Turbine closed additional days due to horrid weather. So they did not have the staff update everything...
    Yet, despite all the potential problems mentioned they managed to restore the price to its original value. However I'll give Turbine the benefit of the doubt and presume the price was updated by an automated script. ;-)
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/2b2250000000030ff/01007/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

How on earth are some of you defending this abhorred pricing oversight?!?

This is just plain unprofessional... no two ways about it.

Festive season or not, this is something that should've been looked at prior to the end of year shutdown.
    [LEFT][/LEFT][CENTER]Taff - [COLOR="#00FFFF"][FONT=Century Gothic][B]LANDROVAL[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [B][COLOR="#FF0000"]Captain[/COLOR][/B]/Champion/Guardian/Hunter/Minstrel/Runekeeper
    “A hunted man sometimes wearies of distrust and longs for friendship.”[/CENTER]

I expected a response from a Turbine employee by now.
    This is very unprofessional, and shows disregards towards us as consumers.

Go check the LotRO market now. That's their response.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b00000010691b/01008/signature.png]Catiwen[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post

It heavily depends on which step in the transaction process you talk about. At least in Denmark an order confirmation can be used as a document and require the vendor to supply the product at the price agreed on the order confirmation. There are very few exceptions though, e.g. 'evil belief', knowing that the product you're buying is set to a price way too low compared to its value. However, for a product at half price that we know has been on sale for half price would not be considered as a case of 'evil belief'.

In this case however, I see no grounds for forcing Turbine to sell when the actual price is given before you confirm your order. It's bad practice but it's your own fault for not doublechecking the price before confirming the order. I know it's not nice to say, but not checking the final price at ANY store before confirming (even physical stores where you use credit card and can see the price on the terminal) is irresponsible behaviour. You never know when someone tries to trick you or makes a mistake and it can cost you dearly. I've seen examples where a grocery store by mistake set the price billed on the credit card to be 100 times larger than intended, which completely messed up that customer's economy for a month before he got his money back.

Was this even advertised? I've been waiting for a sale on HD before I bought it and totally missed this. Was it available in the UK? I've got twitter alerts setup and get emailed new tweets from the lotro twitter feed, but didn't hear anything about this.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001eec54/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by DCameron View Post
    Was this even advertised?
    It was advertised here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t-Now-Dec-29th and also on the Store sales page while the discount was still running. They also tweeted on https://twitter.com/lotrostore . I don't know where else they advertised this, but they gave us quite some chances to catch the sale, I think.

For future references, it may be helpful to note that the LotRO Store uses a different Twitter page than the LotRO community team. If you only monitored the latter, it is quite possible that you missed the HD discount announcement and other short-lived sales.
    German, female, migrated from CodeMasters in 2011, Premium member, slow-leveller, pure PvEer and opposed to Forced Emotes - wherever I fit into the statistic, it's not in its middle.

It was advertised here: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...t-Now-Dec-29th and also on the Store sales page while the discount was still running. They also tweeted on https://twitter.com/lotrostore . I don't know where else they advertised this, but they gave us quite some chances to catch the sale, I think.

For future references, it may be helpful to note that the LotRO Store uses a different Twitter page than the LotRO community team. If you only monitored the latter, it is quite possible that you missed the HD discount announcement and other short-lived sales.
    It started on the 19th Dec, my gf's birthday, which is possibly why I missed this one lol, & I only get 1 twitter redirect to email for free, I need to pay for more. Looks like I'll just have to pay full price then.

EDIT: Just checked through my emails and there was a email shot sent on the 20th that I missed, what with getting Christmas sorted and everything it must of slipped by un-noticed :facepalm
    Last edited by DCameron; Jan 09 2014 at 08:11 PM.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0b20c0000001eec54/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]